Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Originally Posted by Decker
Honestly Bill Hader was more restrained than either guy.
https://youtu.be/PuWHYJF8Il8
That was really funny. I love the Mad TV edited for TV one too
Old 10-12-21, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The second part of the movie begins in 1972 and ends Christmas of 1973. So Tony is 13 and/or 14.
On Christopher's gravestone in the beginning on the movie it says 1969-2007 so Tony was 10 years older than Chrissy. I think 'older' Tony was supposed to be 17 in the movie if I'm not mistaken.
Old 10-13-21, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
My thoughts echo those of the majority now, so no need repeat.

My only "disappointment", but I was hoping the movie would end with a scene similar to the Godfather II, giving us a chance to see Tony's crew from the TV show and a visual suggestion of the adult Tony/Gandolfini.

The first twenty minutes of the movie were so dark and murky I can't imagine they were projecting it properly. I found a couple ushers to complain to and the projectionist made some adjust that made the picture brighter, but it still didn't right to me. This wasn't playing at my local theatre, I had to go to Niagara Falls to see it.
If you don't mind me asking, where at in Niagara Falls? Canadian side or US side? If US side, which theater?
Old 10-13-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
If you don't mind me asking, where at in Niagara Falls? Canadian side or US side? If US side, which theater?
Canadian. The theatre actually seemed more like a crowded children's arcade that also happens to show movies lol
Old 10-13-21, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Canadian. The theatre actually seemed more like a crowded children's arcade that also happens to show movies lol
Cool, I'm on the US side (but Definitely NOT the downtown side right across the border) - either way, you were about 15 minutes away from me.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Okay serious question. I've never seen one episode of The Sopronos. I do own the entire series on BD as I bought it for like $50 a few years ago. But, it's just one of those popular early late 90s/2000s HBO shows that I never got around to.

Does this movie work as a standalone movie or do I need to be well versed in the series to pick up on all the little nuances and easter eggs? I just want to know if I should even bother trying to watch this before it leaves HBO Max or not? From the reviews I've seen, seems like many are saying this isn't even a good movie.
Old 10-13-21, 05:54 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

If you never watched the show, I really don't see the point. I'd say just go and give your time to watching the series and then watch this at some point when it is on Max for good.
DJariya (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

I would definitely watch The Sopranos first. You would not get anything out the the movie as a stand alone and it's definitely inferior to the show.. It fills in a few holes and adds to the back story, but as a stand alone film it's nothing special. And it spoils a big late run event in the show in its opening minutes.
DJariya (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Thanks. I'll catch this movie down the road then.
Old 10-13-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Okay serious question. I've never seen one episode of The Sopronos. I do own the entire series on BD as I bought it for like $50 a few years ago. But, it's just one of those popular early late 90s/2000s HBO shows that I never got around to.

Does this movie work as a standalone movie or do I need to be well versed in the series to pick up on all the little nuances and easter eggs? I just want to know if I should even bother trying to watch this before it leaves HBO Max or not? From the reviews I've seen, seems like many are saying this isn't even a good movie.
I posted earlier in this thread that I’ve only seen sporadic episodes of the show. Just enough to get a decent sense of the characters but I never really followed any of the plot lines throughout the series.

Watching the movie was fun because I was able to see characters that I was aware of in their younger days. Had I not known any of the characters, I don’t think the story was enough to make it worthwhile. Heck, even knowing a lot of the characters, I’m not sure it made it worthwhile.
Old 10-14-21, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

3 out of 5 and a low 3 at that. Meh. Ordinary. Interesting callbacks but meh. Ordinary.

Can we have an HBO Max spinoff with Cory Stoll and Vera Fermischta? Wow they were both amaazing.