Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
0%
23.81%
19.05%
19.05%
4.76%
23.81%
What are you high?
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Do you not understand what an award is? It's when a group (usually critics or industry insiders) decide to recognize a movie or person for the QUALITY of the work, not the box office take.

Does that make sense, or should I explain it a different way?

i understand quality but then 50 people only saw this movie. Dunkirk and Get Out should have won.

Aside from the politics and other social issues that brought the ratings down, no one saw the other 5 movies in the best picture list. Its just a joke. Especially when Shape of Water joins the list of shitty movies to win the best pic nomination. Look at Chicago, Shakespeare in Love and The Artist.

Its almost highway robbery.
Old 03-06-18, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
I didn’t know the Oscars were responsible for everything wrong in Hollywood. I do now.

the oscars isnt but it is the "Super Bowl" of hollywood.

But its nice to have Emma Stone shit all over Guillermo Del Toro when no one on that list had anything to do with the gender inequality. But that act is celebrated... go figure
Old 03-06-18, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't watched the Oscars in years now. Don't really see a point to. You can catch the list of winners the next morning and see any highlights if needed. I would imagine others are barely paying attention as well, just having it on the background while doing other things around the house, playing on their phones, etc. So I figured I might as well spend that three hours or so doing just about anything else.
Old 03-06-18, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
nah.. Get Out should have won if best picture really meant what it says..
Naw, Shape of Water was better than Get Out, which was pretty middling. Still haven't seen Dunkirk though.

But since when has an actual Best Picture ever actually won anything? Kind of a common trend with the Academy.
Old 03-06-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Naw, Shape of Water was far better than Get Out, which was pretty middling. Still haven't seen Dunkirk though.

But since when has the Best Picture ever actually won anything?
huh
Old 03-06-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just mean, a lot of people disagree with the best picture winner every year. It happens.
Old 03-06-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I have never seen the appeal in Johnny Carson? What i have seen of his late night show it seemed like a combination of a typical middle age Uncle, a Pastor and a QVC spokesman, stuck in the 1950's. And i don't think he ever made me laugh once.
Every show is a product of its time, so what is racy now is different then 40 years. Heck, The Religious Groups tried to get Three's Company thrown off the air in the 1970's because it was edgy. Yet if you watch it today, it seems tame compared to any show on TV.

As for the Oscars, I have been saying for years that they need to cut the show under 3 hours. Stick to the stuff that everyone cares about, cut out the political shit, and more people would watch. When I used to watch them, I would watch the Monologue mostly during the Billy Crystal era, and then turn the show back at 11:00 when all of the good awards are being presented. There is so much fat in this show that it amazes me how nobody ever streamlined it so it was actually watchable.
Old 03-06-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah the runtime is pretty brutal, they thankfully did cut back the political shit -- though you wouldn't have guessed it going into the awards -- but it was still what, 4 hours long?

I'm actually kind of surprised at how many people still watch it annually. It's a boring event.
Old 03-06-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah the runtime is pretty brutal, they thankfully did cut back the political shit -- though you wouldn't have guessed it going into the awards -- but it was still what, 4 hours long?

I'm actually kind of surprised at how many people still watch it annually. It's a boring event.
I think it still appeals to women (just like the Olympics) as I am always surprised at how many female workers tell me they love both. Plus they love the Red Carpet stuff and what every actress is wearing, but wasn't that toned down this year because they were snubbing Ryan Seacrest?
Old 03-06-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Do you not understand what an award is? It's when a group (usually critics or industry insiders) decide to recognize a movie or person for the QUALITY of the work, not the box office take.

Does that make sense, or should I explain it a different way?
And that's exactly why the Oscars are completely irrelevant. People that the mass population have nothing in common with telling you which movies you should be watching and which ones are "quality".

"Quality" is n abstract term, but generally if a product is worthwhile, people will use said product. The Edsel failed because it was a product that industry insiders thought was a great car that the masses would purchase. The general population felt otherwise and the Edsel didn't last long on the market. Should the general population have bought Edsels just because the industry insiders said it was one of the "best" cars on the market?
Old 03-06-18, 08:45 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
the oscars isnt but it is the "Super Bowl" of hollywood.

But its nice to have Emma Stone shit all over Guillermo Del Toro when no one on that list had anything to do with the gender inequality. But that act is celebrated... go figure
All right, that’s a valid point-to-bs moment that she should have never agreed to say, especially, ESPECIALLY, since he and a WOMAN were BOTH nominated for Best Original Screenplay for TSOW.

If the Oscars want to get political about their nominees, I agree, they need to start with their own members. It could have been a funny moment like “even though he co-wrote the movie with another woman.”

I can’t believe no one is getting up at arms about this shit more than people on message boards. When has Del Toro not featured good female characters in his movies either? I haven’t seen everything he’s done, but three out of his three movies I’ve see. starred women.

Last edited by Brack; 03-06-18 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-06-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
And that's exactly why the Oscars are completely irrelevant. People that the mass population have nothing in common with telling you which movies you should be watching and which ones are "quality".

"Quality" is n abstract term, but generally if a product is worthwhile, people will use said product. The Edsel failed because it was a product that industry insiders thought was a great car that the masses would purchase. The general population felt otherwise and the Edsel didn't last long on the market. Should the general population have bought Edsels just because the industry insiders said it was one of the "best" cars on the market?
thank you... exactly.. i didnt mention this but this is a good point
Old 03-06-18, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the problem with the Oscars in the past 10 years is that there used to be a good mix of popular box office movies and independent movies that were nominated, but now most are just smaller, independent movies.
I look back at the 90's and you had movies like Ghost, The Fugitive, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Silence of the Lambs, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan all Nominated for Best Oscar (Some of them were the #1 Box Office movies of the year). These were all huge hits with the public and criticially too. What has changed is most of the big hits these days are action movies/comic book movies and those movies will never be nominated (nor should they). Now you have you most of the movies nominated that nobody has ever heard of, as you lost the masses, along with losing viewers with too much politics.
Old 03-06-18, 09:03 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Now I think some of you people wanted to see movies rewarded and not awarded. Yes, those are two separate things.
Old 03-06-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think the problem with the Oscars in the past 10 years is that there used to be a good mix of popular box office movies and independent movies that were nominated, but now most are just smaller, independent movies.
I look back at the 90's and you had movies like Ghost, The Fugitive, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Silence of the Lambs, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan all Nominated for Best Oscar (Some of them were the #1 Box Office movies of the year). These were all huge hits with the public and criticially too. What has changed is most of the big hits these days are action movies/comic book movies and those movies will never be nominated (nor should they). Now you have you most of the movies nominated that nobody has ever heard of, as you lost the masses, along with losing viewers with too much politics.
It may be possible that next year Black Panther will be nominated for "best picture".
Old 03-06-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I'm not sure what the compromise here is... an awards show based on box office receipts? A "Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards" but for grown ups?

I'll readily admit that I haven't watched, well, any of the Best Picture noms, but I'm not sure I'd be that much more excited if Star Wars was nominated. My kids would be, though.

Edited to add: I completely forgot there's a People's choice awards, but that doesn't go into movies, right?

Last edited by fujishig; 03-06-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-06-18, 09:35 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Can someone explain Kimmel’s joke about get out being the best 3/4 of a movie? Shouldn’t the punchline be 3/5?
Old 03-06-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm not sure what the compromise here is... an awards show based on box office receipts? A "Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards" but for grown ups?

I'll readily admit that I haven't watched, well, any of the Best Picture noms, but I'm not sure I'd be that much more excited if Star Wars was nominated. My kids would be, though.

Edited to add: I completely forgot there's a People's choice awards, but that doesn't go into movies, right?
That's just it....there is no real criteria that is used to pick any of the winners or nominees. The Oscars are basically an advertisement for monetarily unsucessful and unpopular movies. I have a feeling that the "industry insiders" that choose the nominees and winners are basically choosing movies made by companies they work for or are associated with.
Old 03-06-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Can someone explain Kimmel’s joke about get out being the best 3/4 of a movie? Shouldn’t the punchline be 3/5?
?
Old 03-06-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Pretty sure the joke wasn't mean to be racist.
Old 03-06-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's just it....there is no real criteria that is used to pick any of the winners or nominees. The Oscars are basically an advertisement for monetarily unsucessful and unpopular movies. I have a feeling that the "industry insiders" that choose the nominees and winners are basically choosing movies made by companies they work for or are associated with.
except for Get out which made a shit ton of money. I am just saying the awards is just for them which it always is but then dont try to preach to us the viewer. We could give a shit. Half of those movies we know shit about.
Old 03-06-18, 10:15 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Pretty sure the joke wasn't mean to be racist.
The joke was something to the effect of, “Hey guy who directed Get Out. Nice to see you tonight. Get Out was a great film. Even Donald Trump said it was the best 3/4 of a film he’d ever seen.”

I don’t get it.
Old 03-06-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The joke was something to the effect of, “Hey guy who directed Get Out. Nice to see you tonight. Get Out was a great film. Even Donald Trump said it was the best 3/4 of a film he’d ever seen.”

I don’t get it.

Kimmel is good when he isnt on a leash... this is why viewership went down
Old 03-06-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The oscars need Ricky Gervias
Old 03-06-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

So the Oscars are nothing more than a glorified popularity contest? Who would have known?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.