Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
0%
23.81%
19.05%
19.05%
4.76%
23.81%
What are you high?
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The joke was something to the effect of, “Hey guy who directed Get Out. Nice to see you tonight. Get Out was a great film. Even Donald Trump said it was the best 3/4 of a film he’d ever seen.”

I don’t get it.
I took it as simply Trump would feel like the movie was good until he fights back at the end.
Old 03-06-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
except for Get out which made a shit ton of money. I am just saying the awards is just for them which it always is but then dont try to preach to us the viewer. We could give a shit. Half of those movies we know shit about.
"Get Out" was one of those surpise "hits" like "The Blair With Project". While it wasn't a blockbuster it was very profitable based on ROI. The budget was 4.5 million and it made $176 or almost 40 times it's initial investment.
Old 03-06-18, 10:39 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
"Get Out" was one of those surpise "hits" like "The Blair With Project". While it wasn't a blockbuster it was very profitable based on ROI. The budget was 4.5 million and it made $176 or almost 40 times it's initial investment.
$255mil worldwide.
Old 03-06-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I think people are losing interest in awards shows for several reasons.

1. There are so many of them. The big ones are the Emmys, Academy Awards, Grammys, and (maybe) Tonys. Then you have the AMAs, the Billboard Awards, Golden Globes, CMA...

2. We're flooded with entertainment coverage. It's about half of all news now. Awards just blends into the background noise.

3. There are two hundred channels, and the Academy Awards are up against The Walking Dead.

4. Most people haven't seen the movies being honored.

5. "Politics."
Old 03-06-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think people are losing interest in awards shows for several reasons.

1. There are so many of them. The big ones are the Emmys, Academy Awards, Grammys, and (maybe) Tonys. Then you have the AMAs, the Billboard Awards, Golden Globes, CMA...

2. We're flooded with entertainment coverage. It's about half of all news now. Awards just blends into the background noise.

3. There are two hundred channels, and the Academy Awards are up against The Walking Dead.

4. Most people haven't seen the movies being honored.

5. "Politics."
I think you are spot on, with the last two points being the biggest.
If someone hasn't seen any of the movies being honored, are they going to want to watch an awards show for stuff they haven't seen and know nothing about? The Oscars seem to do better in the ratings when they have a more mainstream "hit" that is nominated. I know this year I didn't care about the ceremony as I hadn't seen any of the films, and wasn't invested in any of the races.

And the politics bullshit needs to end. I really don't care what an actors opinion is on any social issues. Their heartfelt plea at an awards show in front of an audience of like minded individuals is not going to sway my opinions one iota.
Old 03-06-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Kimmel is good when he isnt on a leash... this is why viewership went down
I used to like Kimmel, but he has changed in the past year and has gotten more political. And it goes past his son and his heart surgery, as he is trying to mirror Colbert now (Simply because Colbert is beating Fallon in the ratings) and make his show about Trump and Republicans every night. I don't watch Kimmel at all anymore and there was no way I was going to tune in to the Oscars and watch him bury Trump/Republicans in the monologue just kiss up to the Hollywood Liberals. It is ironic that this was the year of #MeToo movement and they hire a guy who used to host 'The Man Show.'
Old 03-06-18, 07:40 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Top 5 pet peeve for me is people who say that about The Man Show. It's an easy joke/observation to make, but if you really believe what you say then you didn't understand The Man Show at all and are therefore disqualified as a judge of entertainment.
Old 03-06-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
And the politics bullshit needs to end. I really don't care what an actors opinion is on any social issues. Their heartfelt plea at an awards show in front of an audience of like minded individuals is not going to sway my opinions one iota.
It also makes their hypocrisy all the more evident when they spout off political statements. The Me Too/Time’s up movement is something I, and most other people, can get behind but when they make those pleas and then clap for Kobe Bryant, or give Kirk Douglas a standing ovation, it’s obvious they’re just stating hollow platitudes.

Or when an actress worth $30 million stands in front of millions of Americans struggling to pay their bills and demands equal pay as their male counterparts. It makes it hard to relate or give a damn.

I also feel like Hollywood has really lost that sense of wonder over the last 20 or so years with the rise of social media. I much prefer to admire my celebrities from afar and know very little about them than having the all access, transparent celebs who dominate twitter and make sure every aspect of their lives is out in the open.
Old 03-06-18, 08:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The joke was something to the effect of, “Hey guy who directed Get Out. Nice to see you tonight. Get Out was a great film. Even Donald Trump said it was the best 3/4 of a film he’d ever seen.”

I don’t get it.
Spoiler:
In the last fourth the black guy gets revenge on the white villains.
Old 03-06-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Yeah, they need to keep politics out of show business," says a country that elected a game show host president.
Old 03-06-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
"Yeah, they need to keep politics out of show business," says a country that elected a game show host president.
Sadly that’s pretty much the shape of things today.

Personally, my hands are clean from that shitshow...
Old 03-06-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 03-06-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 724 Posts

You know, I'm just gonna throw this out there. Maybe, instead of the Academy nominating films that more people go to see, people should start watching better movies.

Yeah, that'll fly...

Seriously though, I can't fathom why people flock to yet another CGI superhero movie, predictable rom-coms, or whatever else is at the top of the box office. I just looked at the top ten movies this week, and NONE of them seem remotely interesting to me. They all look like the same ol' same ol', with the possible exception of The Greatest Showman (I like musicals). Yes, gimme Three Billboards, Lady Bird any day of the week. I've only seen those two and Get Out, but the rest of the BP nominees all look way better to me than the current top ten films at the box office.
Old 03-06-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

When people say celebrities shouldn't talk about politics, they generally mean politics they disagree with.
Old 03-06-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

When people say celebrities shouldn't talk about politics, they generally mean politics they disagree with.
Old 03-06-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
On another Oscar related note, I was watching the opening monologue from 1980, and it was 100% a static shot of Johnny Carson with no reaction shots from the audience whatsoever. What that not invented yet or what?
I watched a Carson hosted Oscars from 78 or 79 and noticed the same thing. I came to the conclusion it was a lighting issue, because the few times they did have shots from the crowd you could barely see anything, it was all dark and murky.
Old 03-07-18, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It also makes their hypocrisy all the more evident when they spout off political statements. The Me Too/Time’s up movement is something I, and most other people, can get behind but when they make those pleas and then clap for Kobe Bryant, or give Kirk Douglas a standing ovation, it’s obvious they’re just stating hollow platitudes.

Or when an actress worth $30 million stands in front of millions of Americans struggling to pay their bills and demands equal pay as their male counterparts. It makes it hard to relate or give a damn.

I also feel like Hollywood has really lost that sense of wonder over the last 20 or so years with the rise of social media. I much prefer to admire my celebrities from afar and know very little about them than having the all access, transparent celebs who dominate twitter and make sure every aspect of their lives is out in the open.
This. I don't see how often times the same people supporting #metoo will also give a standing ovation for Roman Polanski. Or be involved in or turn a blind eye to Weinstein. Or be one of the biggest industries guilty of gender and racial inequality both in pay and opportunity. Fix your own house and lead by example.

I think it's funny how Wonder Woman and Black Panther have been cited as shining examples is equality. Those are comic book characters that have been around for decades and Hollywood is just now coming around to the idea of making diverse movies? It's ridiculous it took this long. They aren't as progressive as they pat themselves on the back to be.
Old 03-07-18, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

The oscars need Ricky Gervias
Hope they get him next year.
Old 03-07-18, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Top 5 pet peeve for me is people who say that about The Man Show. It's an easy joke/observation to make, but if you really believe what you say then you didn't understand The Man Show at all and are therefore disqualified as a judge of entertainment.
Most of us on this forum have made statements that by any objective standard would have disqualified us as judges of entertainment long ago. I don't want to be reminded of any of mine, so I won't bring up anybody else's.
Old 03-07-18, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Nah, I don't really don't care what celebrities have to say whether they are Republicans or Democrats. I'm a Republican, but didn't care for Eastwoods 'chair' speech at the 2012 RNC Convention. I loved Charlton Heston, but he started to annoy me when he became head of the NRA, and Dennis Miller is just unfunny now since he became Republican after 9/11 (I loved him on SNL Weekend Update back in the day). There was nothing more annoying then B Celebrities like Chachi coming out of the woodworks on TV talking about Trump in 2016. I would be just as annoyed if the politics were flipped at the Award shows and they all piled on Obama from 2008-2016. I follow politics though various outlets all day, and entertainment is my one way to get away from it all for a few hours via Movies, TV show, sports, and the last thing I need is to be lectured politically by an athlete or celebrity.
Old 03-07-18, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my reasons for why people dont give a shit about the Oscar's anymore.

1. The films that get nominated people haven't heard of anymore: No one except for hardcore movie buffs care about any of them even with hit movies like Dunkirk and Get Out being nominated.

2. Its viewed as being for old people: The poster who talked about it being his and his wife's "Super Bowl" kind of confirms this line of thinking. I guarantee not many young people give a crap about them now and it feels like something that their parents or grandparents would have watched but doesnt resonate with them.

3, Lack of star power: One of the big draws used to be seeing celebrities in person and seeing what they were wearing. In this day and age of social media, seeing a celebrity and seeing what they wear isnt speicla and holds no interest.

4. Politics: Politics is such a part of life now that you cant escape it anymrore. No one wants to watch an awards show where they get to hear a famous person get on their soapbox after winning an award.

5. Length: What's the point of watching it for four hours when you can just read the results online, or catch it on Youtube the following day? For that matter, its not like a sporting event where everyone will be saying "Did you see that?" at work yesterday unless its something like what happened last year.

6. Politics(again): In light of the "METOO" and "OSCARSOWHITE" movements the last couple of years, I think a lot of people are not watching because they support those movements, and also not watching because they dont want to spend four hours hearing about them.
Old 03-07-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Event has lost it's luster and the man behind the curtain being exposed. There is just too much information out there, these folks are so over exposed now.

There was a lot more mystery, now we've seen the same old crap and shtick over and over again, who cares really.

I watched this event live for 30 years, now I dvr'd it, and even then fast forwarded most of it, it just a gigantic yawn now.
Old 03-07-18, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree 100% with above two posters.

Back before the internet, smartphones, etc. You're main exposure to entertainment/gossip was via a weekly or monthly magazine of stale news or shows like Johnny Carson. So the big glitzy once a year live show was quite the spectacle to watch.

Now that we are a 24/7 connected world, we just don't really care about these kinds of pat yourself on the back shows.
Old 03-07-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I was wonder why Michael Shannon was not with the rest of the cast when Shape of Water won best picture. Hope he brought the round on everybody at the bar.

Old 03-07-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

For some reason I'd be apprehensive taking free booze from Michael Shannon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.