Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ravenous (Les affamés) (2018, D: Aubert) -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 06:59 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o3abQ2oRBzo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="605" height="370" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2vCIPWQXjec" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In a small, remote village in upstate Quebec, things have changed. Locals are not the same anymore--their bodies are breaking down and they have turned against their loved ones. A handful of survivors goes hiding into the woods, looking for others like them.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6243140/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ravenous_2018/

This won TIFF’s Best Canadian Feature last year. It was aquired by Netflix and premieres 3/2/18.
Old 03-01-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: The Ravenous (Les affamés) (2018, D: Aubert) -- Netflix

Saw this at TIFF last year and thought it was pretty good. Once I'd heard it was picked up for burial on Netflix, I kinda wished I'd saved the money. Seriously, though, I will admit that movies like this probably haven't got much hope for meaningful or profitable theatrical/disc releases anymore, so I guess there's few options these days, but considering Netflix's disinterest in actively promoting anything but their most high-profile pickups and in-house crap (CLOVERFIELD, BRIGHT, etc.), I doubt this one will gain much traction.

Another picture I saw at TIFF last year, Paco Plaza's VERONICA, has also been quietly dumped on Netflix in recent days. It's likewise worth a view if you have the service, especially as it will probably never see the light of day on disc now.
Old 03-01-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Right now, it's listed as "Ravenous" which might, initially, confuse people.
Old 03-06-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

I only made it through 20 minutes before I stopped and deleted it from my queue. I couldn't get over the lack of makeup for the zombies. I prefer my zombies to be gross/decaying or crazy looking with blood shot eyes and blood all over their face and clothes ala 28 days later.
The zombies here (at least through the 20 minutes I watched) have lightly powdered faces and eye shadow, like Night of the Living Dead from 1968. Yawn.
Old 03-06-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

They're Canadian zombies, you see, so they're inherently less threatening.
Old 03-06-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
The zombies here (at least through the 20 minutes I watched) have lightly powdered faces and eye shadow, like Night of the Living Dead from 1968. Yawn.
Are you sure they were zombies and not just the regular living pale Canadians? Maybe the actual zombies show up after 20 minutes.