Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019, D: Heller) S: Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019, D: Heller) S: Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019, D: Heller) S: Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers

Had to post this classic SCTV takeoff of Battle of the Network Stars, w/ Mr. Rogers up against Julia Child in boxing:

Old 11-22-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 753 Likes on 550 Posts
Re: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019, D: Heller) S: Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers

Originally Posted by dex14
I thought this was great.

Definitely don’t go in expecting a biopic though. That’s not what this is.

Heller is 3 for 3.
This... and I related a lot to Lloyd through my own relationship with my dad. It's more about his journey and Fred is the little voice of light and reason.
Old 11-22-19, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw the movie this afternoon- I did enjoy it, Hanks really plays the role convincing, I prefer the documentry though.
Spoiler:
Also there is a cameo in the film for the real Mrs. Rogers

Old 11-23-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. While watching it, I kept hoping they'd keep the focus on Mr. Rogers, but it's really about Fred Rogers' impact on the interviewer--and that's fine. This film is a nice companion piece to last year's documentary, "Won't You Be My Neighbor?". And while I do think the documentary is the superior film, this movie is still heartwarming without being cloying. The performances are solid, and while Tom Hank's doesn't really look like Fred Rogers, he imbues him the same genuine warmth and gentleness.I know it's the longest shot, but I'd like to see this movie outgross "Joker" to restore my faith in my species.

(Also, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo with Fred Rogers' wife in the diner scene when Fred is doing his one minute of silence.)
Old 11-25-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

This is a wonderful, wonderful movie. You'd have to be pretty cold-hearted not to be moved by it. Hanks gives another Oscar-worthy performance here. It's kind of sad that everyone went to see that "other" movie this past weekend and not this movie, which is more of a "Disney" film (in tone) than the one designed to sell a bunch of merchandise to the kids.

This is probably my second favorite film of 2019 (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is still my first). (Note that I still need to see The Irishman!)
Old 11-25-19, 07:11 AM

Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts

I bet Sony wasn’t expecting this to do better at the box office opening weekend than Charlie’s Angels.
Old 11-28-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,723 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Just got back from seeing it tonight.

Solid movie overall and definitely not a Mr. Rogers biopic. Fred Rogers is actually a supporting character in this movie. If you want to watch Fred's real story, watch Won't you be my Neighbor? It's still in rotation at HBO.

It's really about a journalist who has lost his way and Fred Rogers helps him realize what's wrong with this life and what he needs to do to improve.

The one thing that I thought was really cool about the storytelling was that Lloyd's life was examined as an "episode" of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. I thought that was really neat and especially how Fred recapped everything at the end.

and there are actually 2 cameos. Fred's widow and the real Mr. McFeeley. They were both in the restaurant scene.
Old 11-29-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Saw this earlier today.

Solid film. I agree that this film plays like a nice companion piece to the 2018 Documentary, Won't You Be My Neighbor.

I appreciated the approach this film took, steering away from what was expected (even in the Trailers), but because of that it took me a bit to adjust myself to it.

Absolutely loved all of the set & costume design.
Old 12-26-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is a wonderful, wonderful movie. You'd have to be pretty cold-hearted not to be moved by it. Hanks gives another Oscar-worthy performance here. It's kind of sad that everyone went to see that "other" movie this past weekend and not this movie, which is more of a "Disney" film (in tone) than the one designed to sell a bunch of merchandise to the kids.

This is probably my second favorite film of 2019 (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is still my first). (Note that I still need to see The Irishman!)
Finally saw this. Yes, it's a truly wonderful film. I wasn't expecting it to pack such an emotional punch. It is hands down the feel good movie of the year. And I agree with the one critic, we really do need films like this now.
Old 12-27-19, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm surprised this didn't do all at that well at the box office. Tom Hanks isn't a big draw anymore, I guess.
Old 12-27-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I'm surprised this didn't do all at that well at the box office. Tom Hanks isn't a big draw anymore, I guess.
I wonder if the documentary affected the box office of this one.
Old 12-27-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, this movie actually lost money for Sony. I don't know how accurate the international numbers are, but the-numbers.com says it's only made like $6100 in Thailand. I wonder how many territories Sony is actually releasing this in. The documentary also made no money overseas. I'm guessing most people outside the U.S. have no clue who Mr. Rogers is, so Sony didn't even bother with an international push.

Old 12-29-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, this movie actually lost money for Sony. I don't know how accurate the international numbers are, but the-numbers.com says it's only made like $6100 in Thailand. I wonder how many territories Sony is actually releasing this in. The documentary also made no money overseas. I'm guessing most people outside the U.S. have no clue who Mr. Rogers is, so Sony didn't even bother with an international push.
How much did it cost to produce!? Because it didn't look like even 5M was up on that screen. Did most of the money go towards Hanks' paycheck? And to the person who mentioned that Hanks isn't a box-office draw anymore, it happens to every movie star. Will Smith is just the latest example. Granted, Hanks was never an action star nor were his films like Smith's. But when I saw the trailer for this movie, it didn't scream "box-office smash" to me. It looked like a very minor indie type film.
Old 12-29-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 924 Likes on 656 Posts

Outside of Toy Story, Hanks hasn't been a huge draw for a long time. IMO, you'd have to go all the way back to The Terminal, Catch Me if You Can or Cast Away for that. Maybe DaVinci code? Not sure how much of a draw he was vs. the novel fans though. So 2000-2006?

I'm looking forward to seeing this though.
Old 12-29-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Daytripper
How much did it cost to produce!? Because it didn't look like even 5M was up on that screen. Did most of the money go towards Hanks' paycheck? And to the person who mentioned that Hanks isn't a box-office draw anymore, it happens to every movie star. Will Smith is just the latest example. Granted, Hanks was never an action star nor were his films like Smith's. But when I saw the trailer for this movie, it didn't scream "box-office smash" to me. It looked like a very minor indie type film.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...bo_we_table_13

Reportedly $25M

A movie needs to make at least 3 times it's budget to not be in the red. You have to account marketing budget and 1/3 of the box office revenue goes back to the theatres. So this movie lost money.
Old 12-30-19, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...bo_we_table_13

Reportedly $25M

A movie needs to make at least 3 times it's budget to not be in the red. You have to account marketing budget and 1/3 of the box office revenue goes back to the theatres. So this movie lost money.
No, I believe you. I just couldn't see where the money was spent. And when did movies needed to make 3 times as much as they grossed to make a profit? I always read it was twice a much.
Old 12-30-19, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Daytripper
No, I believe you. I just couldn't see where the money was spent. And when did movies needed to make 3 times as much as they grossed to make a profit? I always read it was twice a much.
There’s no way this could cost $5M. That’s low budget independent film money.

You have to take into account actors, crew salaries, post production staff salaries. This kind of movie hires hundreds of people. Location costs, permits, costumes, sets that were built and scoring. Also legal rights would need to be cleared. Also, there is special effects done. Lots of scenes could be shot on green screen and sometimes need special effects to look real. They had to fake NYC in some scenes.

This article details how this movie got made. It took almost 10 years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hol...screen-1255825
Old 12-30-19, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There’s no way this could cost $5M. That’s low budget independent film money.

You have to take into account actors, crew salaries, post production staff salaries. This kind of movie hires hundreds of people. Location costs, permits, costumes, sets that were built and scoring. Also legal rights would need to be cleared. Also, there is special effects done. Lots of scenes could be shot on green screen and sometimes need special effects to look real. They had to fake NYC in some scenes.

This article details how this movie got made. It took almost 10 years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hol...screen-1255825
I didn't say that it actually cost 5M to make. I know because of all the talent behind it. I was merely saying that I didn't even see a 5M looking movie while watching it. It looked super low budget. And just assumed everyone worked on a smaller scale to get this made.
Old 12-30-19, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Outside of Toy Story, Hanks hasn't been a huge draw for a long time. IMO, you'd have to go all the way back to The Terminal, Catch Me if You Can or Cast Away for that. Maybe DaVinci code? Not sure how much of a draw he was vs. the novel fans though. So 2000-2006?

I'm looking forward to seeing this though.
Sully made $240M 3 years ago with an old Tom Hanks. But yea he’s had 3 money losers, counting this movie, in the last 2 years.

Old 03-02-20, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 753 Likes on 615 Posts

After watching movies like the Irishman. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, and Joker I thought this would be a stepdown and kind of sappy but I enjoyed it.

Nice to see Chris Cooper again.

The Blu-ray has a lot of featurretes.