Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Merlin

Old 01-04-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Disney's Merlin

JANUARY 04, 2018 4:16pm PT by Mia Galuppo
Ridley Scott in Talks to Direct a 'Merlin' Movie for Disney

'Lord of the Rings' scripter Philippa Boyens will pen the feature.

Ridley Scott is in talks to direct The Merlin Saga for Disney.

The feature, based on the T.A. Barron book series, will follow the legendary wizard long before he met King Arthur and his Round Table.

Veteran fantasy scripter Philippa Boyens, who was a co-writer on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies, is set to pen the feature.

Scott would also produce via his Scott Free banner, along with Gil Netter (Life of Pi, Marley & Me). Tendo Nagenda and Foster Driver are overseeing the project for the studio.

Scott just released his latest film, All the Money in the World, after highly publicized whirlwind reshoots where he quickly replaced embattled actor Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer.

The perpetually busy director is repped by WME.
Old 11-02-21, 03:13 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Disney's Merlin

EXCLUSIVE: Michael Matthews is set to direct Disney’s Merlin, an adaptation of T.A. Barron’s novel series where King Arthur’s wizardry mentor is at the center of the story. Ridley Scott, who directed the 20th Century Medieval pic The Last Duel, which bows today in theaters, was attached to direct at one point but parted ways due to his busy schedule. Sources say the film is still in early development with Disney’s live-action team.

Gil Netter is producing from with the latest draft by Chris Weitz.

Based on the Barron books, the series followed the origin story of a young Merlin who would go on to become the mentor of the classic literary character King Arthur. While several films have focused on the King Arthur legend, the only high-profile story to focus specifically on the story of Merlin was the NBC miniseries Merlin that starred Sam Neill.

Matthews most recently directed the critically-acclaimed adventure film, Love & Monsters starring Dylan O’Brien and Jessica Henwick for Paramount and 21 Laps, which was a hit PVOD release in fall of 2020 and will be released internationally by Netflix in April 2021. He first got attention for his contemporary African Spaghetti Western Five Fingers For Marseilles which was written by Sean Drummond and premiered at TIFF in 2017 in the Discovery Program.
https://deadline.com/2021/10/love-an...in-1234856523/
Old 11-09-21, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts

Interesting. I kind of would like to see a more goofier adaptation like the Merlin from the movie the Sword and the Stone.
Old 11-09-21, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

My favorite book series.

This movie has been in the making since like 2007 and passed hands and had rewrites done. Originally I think it was Warner Bros. who was going to do the movie but then word was they put it on hold as to not have it compete with Harry Potter at the time, and then eventually it got shelved and Disney ended up with it.

I hope they do the series justice. There are 5 books in "The Lost Years of Merlin" saga. But there is spin-offs like the Merlin's Dragon trilogy and The Great Tree of Avalon series.

Seems wrong to title the thread "Disney's Merlin".... Is this really what they'll title the movie? I'd have figured the namesake "The Lost Years of Merlin" would be kept...

In the books, Merlin is only in our world for a very short period of the first book before he ends up in the legendary isle of Fincayra which is like a world between worlds, neither of the living nor the dead, part mortal and part immortal. Lots of magical and mystical creatures.

So it's drastically different than most stories people know of Merlin. It's I believe many centuries before he meets Arthur.

Last edited by Koby; 11-09-21 at 03:06 AM.