Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Micronauts (2021, D: DeBlois)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 12-18-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
re: Micronauts (2021, D: DeBlois)

This is one license I wish was back with Marvel. Loved the Marvel comics as a kid and always dreamed what a big screen adaptation would look like.
Old 12-19-17, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
This is one license I wish was back with Marvel. Loved the Marvel comics as a kid and always dreamed what a big screen adaptation would look like.
Those first 12 issues by Mantlo and Golden were lightning in a bottle for Marvel.
Old 12-19-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I wonder which direction they'll go with this.

If they do the "little people in a large world thing," while that plays true to the original toyline that could be cheesy and disastrous. But if they stay in the microverse, there's really little to differentiate this from a space movie.
Old 12-19-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder which direction they'll go with this.

If they do the "little people in a large world thing," while that plays true to the original toyline that could be cheesy and disastrous. But if they stay in the microverse, there's really little to differentiate this from a space movie.
Is that a bad thing?
Old 12-19-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Is that a bad thing?
No, it just seems like a weird use of the IP. Like I think most would have familiarity with this due to the toys or the Marvel comics, but without being able to use the Marvel characters or storylines, I'm not sure what the hook is. At least they can still use Biotron and Karza, who are probably the most recognizable characters.

I picked up the first few issues of the IDW comic and found myself not caring all that much since it was separate from the Marvel stuff. Same for something like Rom.
Old 12-19-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Baron Karza and his body banks give me chills...great comic but the body banks would give wee ones nightmares if that makes its way into the film. I think this could be a fantastic film...I know tons of comic folks who have a soft spot for The Micronauts (which were some of the earliest comics I ended up reading when I was just getting started as a comic fiend).

Also agree that from the 1st issue onward this series really knocked it out of the park. I eventually need to check out IDW's series. ETA: I noticed Fujishig has already weighed in on the IDW series, but maybe for .99 cents an issue on Comixology I will still check them out.
Old 12-19-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Inhumans99

Also agree that from the 1st issue onward this series really knocked it out of the park. I eventually need to check out IDW's series. ETA: I noticed Fujishig has already weighed in on the IDW series, but maybe for .99 cents an issue on Comixology I will still check them out.
Yeah, .99 an issue is probably worth a try. I think it was like 4.99 cover price and then there was a crossover (naturally) with the other Hasbro properties. Screw that.
Old 09-24-19, 09:06 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Deadline has confirmed that How to Train Your Dragon filmmaker Dean DeBlois is directing and writing Paramount/Hasbro’s live-action sci-fi pic Micronauts, based on the popular kids’ toys from the 1970s and 80s.

The toys, little plastic men with move-able joints –which differed from Kenner’s decor, stiff jointed Star Wars figures, spawned a Marvel comic.

The Micronauts came from the small universe, Microverse, which was full of strange planets like the human-inhabited Homeworld which is made up of diverse spherical habitats that are linked together in the fashion of a molecular chain. A resistance assembles in response to the threat posed by immortal dictator Baron Karza who gains control of Homeworld through the creation of the Body Banks, where life-extending brain transplants are performed on the rich and inhuman genetic alterations on the poor.

Micronauts was in the works at Bad Robot for many years with a screenplay by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. DeBlois take is under wraps, but will focus on intergalactic explorers. Arguably, it was the toys that were always the stars here in Micronauts for anyone over 40. The IP’s mythology wasn’t as much in the public eye like G.I. Joe which had both the Marvel comic and cartoon series in the ’80s (inspired by the comics). Hence, the sky is the limit for any direction Paramount, Hasbro and DeBlois wish to take Micronauts.

Pic is set for June 4, 2021 release.
https://deadline.com/2019/09/mircron...on-1202742747/
Old 09-25-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Micronauts (2021, D: DeBlois)

I had Mirconauts toys when I was a kid...and I'm almost 50. Does anyone under 40 even know about the Micronauts? They weren't even all that popular when they WERE popular...they were the toys you pulled out when you got tired of your Star Wars and He-Man stuff.
Old 09-25-19, 09:19 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: Micronauts (2021, D: DeBlois)

I have even less interest in this than I did in Guardians of the Galaxy, which of course turned out to be my favorite movie in the MCU, so I'm sure this will be amazing.