Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Kylo Ren's character got a lot to do in this one, and that's one aspect I absolutely enjoyed. Snoke has apparently been manipulating and gaslighting him for years, and he finally snapped and did something.
Old 12-28-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Kylo Ren's character got a lot to do in this one, and that's one aspect I absolutely enjoyed. Snoke has apparently been manipulating and gaslighting him for years, and he finally snapped and did something.

I liked when Snoke punked him and told him to take that "ridiculous" helmet off.

Ren was trying to live like Vader and all.
Old 12-28-17, 10:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It kind of lost its momentum about Ren’s story when he was manipulated by a guy with zero backstory and gets sliced in two so easily.

And again with the flammable red background - why would he have that shit in there? That stuff went up in flames in seconds.
Old 12-28-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
It kind of lost its momentum about Ren’s story when he was manipulated by a guy with zero backstory and gets sliced in two so easily.
In 1983, Darth Vader was manuipulated by a guy with zero backstory who got thrown down a hole so easily.
Old 12-28-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw this on Saturday and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not surprised at all the bitching from fans. It is just simply impossible to make a movie that is going to please everyone. If the director went the predictable route then people would complain that he just copied from the early flicks/ Instead, they went with something new and unexpected. I liked that. I had no idea where this movie was going. TFA gave me enough nostagia and fan service. I didn't need to see Luke raise the jet fighter from the water and go gung ho into battle.

But I do have a problem with bringing back the old cast. They are just so old now and felt like their heart wasn't really into the performances. Leila just feels run down and tired. What happened to that firecracker woman that we saw in Empire? Even a huge moment like the reunion of Luke and Leila came off flat and lacking of emotion. Just felt like they were only there for the paycheck. I did think Ford was great in TFA and sold his death pretty well.

I don't have any problem with them killing off Luke, but the movie just made it feel shallow and lacking the emotional impact that should come with the passing of an iconic figure.
Old 12-28-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This isn't so much a bitch about TLJ, but you'd think that in the Star Wars galaxy, which has had interstellar FTL travel for thousands of years, that lightspeed weapons like that would be commonplace. Ships as small as X-Wings can travel between star systems, so you'd think someone would have come up with unmanned drones that would slice up big ships like Star Destroyers. We saw a single A-Wing take out the Executor in ROTJ at sublight speed when it flew into the bridge, so it doesn't seem like it would take much to tear these massive ships apart.

Single-use suicide ships probably wouldn't be much of a drain on resources considering how many small fighters they typically lose in a space battle.

This is actually something I've thought about before in relation to Stats Trek and Wars, though the Trek universe seems to have superior shield and sensor technology, so launching stuff at them at c might not be as effective.
Star Wars tech is very dodgy in general, though. Look at how they handle the Death Star plans in Rogue One and Star Wars--ever heard of a thumb drive, Rebels?
Old 12-28-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Star Wars tech is very dodgy in general, though. Look at how they handle the Death Star plans in Rogue One and Star Wars--ever heard of a thumb drive, Rebels?
Yes, but in those days (When Lucas wrote Star Wars), who could have imagined thumb drives? Rogue One had to stick to using drives to keep the story going forward since it was a prequel. Hell, they should "invent" thumb drives in these future sequels, so folks can stop saying, "why don't they just put all that data on a thumb drive?"
Old 12-28-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
What happened to that firecracker woman that we saw in Empire?
Old 12-28-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yes, but in those days (When Lucas wrote Star Wars), who could have imagined thumb drives? Rogue One had to stick to using drives to keep the story going forward since it was a prequel. Hell, they should "invent" thumb drives in these future sequels, so folks can stop saying, "why don't they just put all that data on a thumb drive?"
Yep, just my attempt at a lame joke!
Old 12-28-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Thank you, yes, I meant sequel hook. Note that I did mention Rey vs. Kylo and Resistance vs. First Order for TLJ, I just felt like they weren't that compelling, given that this movie was largely about those two things already. It becomes a retread. Given that Kylo has been judged by this movie to be beyond saving, the resolution to both seems clear: the Resistance will overcome and Kylo will die.

As for ANH, I think Vader's TIE fighter spiraling away (to explicitly show he wasn't killed) could be argued to be a cliffhanger. The love triangle was a sequel hook. On a more general note, I think with stories ending in failure, like ESB, TFA, and TLJ, it's all the more important to have hooks (or cliffhangers) to give hope.

With that in mind, after thinking about it a little more, I've changed my mind on this point. The scene with the kid at the end was clearly designed to be a sequel hook, implying that Rey would gather these Force users and teach them. It didn't resonate as much with me in the theater because we barely met the character, but that could change in hindsight if Rey's Jedi students have a strong presence in IX. If the plot point is dropped, it will be a waste. Like all trilogies, how we view this one really depends on the next one.
Ugh, I would hate that. I took it more like the seeds of the rebellion are out there, and that there are force-sensitive people in all walks of life, even outside of the jedi order. I don't want Rey to train a bunch of kids to go slaughter the FO by the next movie, if anything I'd want that to be the epilogue. But maybe that's because I'm still scarred by kid Anakin.

The sequel hook is that the rebellion or resistance or whatever is decimated and they have one basically one ship, plus what is Kylo Ren going to do in charge of the FO. Plus the real sequel hook is that it's Star Wars, and JJ is coming back, and we won't have any of the trio of original characters in this one.

And thumb drives were invented a long, long time later in a galaxy far, far away, it's basically future tech to them...
Old 12-28-17, 12:15 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by GuessWho
In 1983, Darth Vader was manuipulated by a guy with zero backstory who got thrown down a hole so easily.
It worked for the Emperor. In 2017, Snoke was using the same red guards which means there’s some connection with him and the Empire and the Sith. Yet zero on him. He was a lousy second emperor, if that’s what they were attempting to do.
Old 12-28-17, 12:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would have liked Rey and Ren taking on Snoke before he got killed
Old 12-28-17, 12:36 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish the movie had ended when Kylo tells Rey "let it all die, let the past die and start a new" . Then they stare into the window alas Fight Club. It could have been a good cliffhanger
Old 12-28-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I wish the movie had ended when Kylo tells Rey "let it all die, let the past die and start a new" . Then they stare into the window alas Fight Club. It could have been a good cliffhanger
I think people are a little too fixated on this movie having a cliffhanger. TFA had a cliffhanger, this movie didn't need one.
Old 12-28-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The difference is The Emperor atleast got the whole movie compared to Snoke who had 2-3 scene in TLJ? The Emperor was essentially the main villain in ROTJ as he gets his grand entrance at The Death Star, then a few scenes with Vader on his plan for Luke, The Rebellion, even mentioning if Vader was conflicted or not. Then he gets the 2nd half of the movie with Vader/Luke scenes which builds and builds to his eventual demise (The Throne Scenes are as good as anything in the Original Trilogy). So you are right we never got the backstory of The Emperor or Snoke, but The Emperor was way better developed in ROTJ compared to Snoke who was never developed and essentially a waste for the Trilogy.
Old 12-28-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,163 Likes on 908 Posts

What did the Emperor really do though? It’s not like he was that well developed in the Original Trilogy. Anyone who says otherwise is blinded by rose colored glasses. He has a couple short scenes with Vader (and only one being in person, the other time he appears via a hologram). All he really does is sit there watching Luke and Vader battle it out from his throne (not really saying much) before getting thrown down the shaft of the Death Star II. He’s really not that much more developed than Snoke just going by his appearances in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
Old 12-28-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Snoke was set up to be Emporer 2.0, complete with giant hologram head. I’m glad they didn’t just so the same route with him again. It was awesome to see the “big bad” get taken out so easily.
Old 12-28-17, 02:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah Snoke dying so fast was actually kinda refreshing
Old 12-28-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 958 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Snoke was set up to be Emporer 2.0, complete with giant hologram head. I’m glad they didn’t just so the same route with him again. It was awesome to see the “big bad” get taken out so easily.
Without any explanation as to: where he came from, who trained him, why he was so powerful, how he met Kylo, why neither the Empire or Jedi knew about him during the OT (if he's as strong in the Force as they led us to believe), how he lapsed in his power and let that saber cut him even though he was treating Kylo like a bitch directly beforehand?
Old 12-28-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly didn’t care about Snoke at all
Old 12-28-17, 03:23 PM
Banned by request

Part of me wants to see a scene in Episode 9 where we see family photos on the wall and there we realize Snoke and the Emperor were brothers or a couple or something. But I doubt we will. He seems like a half baked idea they bailed on.
Old 12-28-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
Part of me wants to see a scene in Episode 9 where we see family photos on the wall and there we realize Snoke and the Emperor were brothers or a couple or something. But I doubt we will. He seems like a half baked idea they bailed on.
It seems like Rian bailed on almost all the lore JJ set up in TFA. Remember the explanation as to the map to Luke in TFA? Well in TLJ we learned he went there to die; completely going against what we were told in TFA. He wouldn't make an elaborate map to himself is his plan was to go recluse and die alone.
Old 12-28-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Honestly didn’t care about Snoke at all
Why would you? What did the franchise ever do to give you a reason to? Nothing. And that's the problem.
Old 12-28-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Why would you? What did the franchise ever do to give you a reason to? Nothing. And that's the problem.
Ding, ding, ding...
Old 12-28-17, 03:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You mean like this from TFA?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.