Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TGM
It will be telling if a lot of these online rumors are true...

there will be an episode X (essentially adding another move because TLJ didn't progress the storyline enough).
Snoke and Phasma will be back
Rey's parents are somebody

undoing a lot of what folks hated about TLJ.
Yeah, that would be stupid and come across as Disney saying "Yep, we fucked up." I doubt they have the brass to do that, and even then I wouldn't want to see it. The Thrawn trilogy by Zahn is, and always will be, the official ST in my mind, and Shadows of the Empire will be the bridge between ESB and ROTJ as well.
Old 09-19-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I saw an interesting video on YouTube that explains some possible ways to bring Luke back. Apparently there were some parts in the original draft of Return of the Jedi that would have allowed Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin to return to their physical forms. Only problem is doing that opens up another can of worms because if you do it with Luke where do you stop?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7UKXvim5gZc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I’m not normally one to go for wild theories like this but if it can undo the shitty way in which Luke was killed I’m open to ideas.
Old 09-19-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I saw an interesting video on YouTube that explains some possible ways to bring Luke back...
Shouldn't this speculation be in the Episode IX thread?
Old 09-19-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Shouldn't this speculation be in the Episode IX thread?
I mean I can put it there too. It ties into an aspect of this film so I thought it could fit in either.
Old 09-19-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
It will be telling if a lot of these online rumors are true...

there will be an episode X (essentially adding another move because TLJ didn't progress the storyline enough).
Snoke and Phasma will be back
Rey's parents are somebody

undoing a lot of what folks hated about TLJ.
Those rumors were undoubtedly started by the same crackpots who perpetuated rumors that Snoke is Plagueis or that Rey is a Kenobi. Don't hold your breath.
Old 09-20-18, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

It's probably already been posted as it's been out for awhile but I just watched Cinemasins take on TLJ and it..was..spot..on.

Now they are known for always being nitpicky and they continue that in this video but they bring up a lot of good points. My favorite part is at 2:27 when talking about the lightsaber toss. "You wanted to subvert audience expectations - a disease that infects this entire film, actually!"
Old 09-20-18, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Yeah, that would be stupid and come across as Disney saying "Yep, we fucked up." I doubt they have the brass to do that, and even then I wouldn't want to see it. The Thrawn trilogy by Zahn is, and always will be, the official ST in my mind, and Shadows of the Empire will be the bridge between ESB and ROTJ as well.
I think Disney is painted into a corner... if they don't fix the obvious problems, they're forever jaded... if they do "fix" it, they're sell-outs. That's what you get for not having a plan!
Old 09-20-18, 06:38 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the intent was clearly another sequel TRILOGY. episode X is a concession that TLJ screwed the pooch and the story needs to be put back on track and just can't be done with one film. perhaps Fisher's death also contributed.
Old 09-20-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Now they are known for always being nitpicky and they continue that in this video but they bring up a lot of good points. My favorite part is at 2:27 when talking about the lightsaber toss. "You wanted to subvert audience expectations - a disease that infects this entire film, actually!"
"Or does she only have enough fuel for one space resurrection‽"
Old 09-20-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oAi0hoJ_28

It's probably already been posted as it's been out for awhile but I just watched Cinemasins take on TLJ and it..was..spot..on.
Just when I want to give TLJ another shot, someone posts a video like this.

Thanks! You just saved me some hours out of my life and a lot of grief.
Old 09-20-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
Just when I want to give TLJ another shot, someone posts a video like this.

Or just watch it for yourself and make up your own mind.
Old 09-20-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Or, you could actually verify for yourself that he HAS seen the movie before, but he realized that the portions included in the video are enough to remind him how bad the movie is.
Old 09-20-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Or, you could actually verify for yourself that he HAS seen the movie before, but he realized that the portions included in the video are enough to remind him how bad the movie is.
My point is that these "everything that's wrong with BLANK" videos are fucking stupid. I'd rather watch a movie myself and make up my own mind.

But hey, anything to pile on TLJ some more, right?
Old 09-20-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now they are known for always being nitpicky and they continue that in this video but they bring up a lot of good points...
CinemaSins is just awful. They outright admit that their "everything wrong with..." videos have flaws, claiming they're not critics and their videos are just meant as entertainment only. They just nitpick everything to death, and their nitpicks are sometimes not even consistent or logical.

Some videos explaining everything wrong with CinemaSins:

Old 09-20-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My point is that these "everything that's wrong with BLANK" videos are fucking stupid. I'd rather watch a movie myself and make up my own mind.

But hey, anything to pile on TLJ some more, right?
He’s seen the movie though so he’s got the opinion that he doesn’t like it already.
Old 09-20-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He’s seen the movie though so he’s got the opinion that he doesn’t like it already.
Except Franchot stated that the video affected his opinion of the film, i.e. he was going to give it "another shot," but the video convinced him to do otherwise. He framed it like it changed his opinion in some way.

To my mind, there's two people that watch Cinemasins videos:
  • Those that just like watching someone snark over all movies, regardless of the quality of the movie (they crap on any and every movie: Die Hard, Back to the Future, The Matrix, Harry Potter. Basically anything popular that will generate views).
  • Those that hate a particular film and want to see it crapped on some more, and maybe try to use it as "evidence" that the film is bad.

A CinemaSins video isn't proof of a movie being bad anymore than any other review, and it's actually probably worse than most other reviews, since they're known to just rag on any movie that will get them a lot of views.
Old 09-20-18, 05:09 PM

Yes, I saw it in the theater and own the movie and have seen it several times. I read up on all the explanations as to why the plot holes and weak story telling are intentionally there in the film. I'm trying to move the needle up of this film into the appealing area for me so I can join the "love fest", but the needle ain't budging.
Old 09-20-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except Franchot stated that the video affected his opinion of the film, i.e. he was going to give it "another shot," but the video convinced him to do otherwise. He framed it like it changed his opinion in some way.

• Those that just like watching someone snark over all movies, regardless of the quality of the movie (they crap on any and every movie: Die Hard, Back to the Future, The Matrix, Harry Potter. Basically anything popular that will generate views).
  • Those that hate a particular film and want to see it crapped on some more, and maybe try to use it as "evidence" that the film is bad.

A CinemaSins video isn't proof of a movie being bad anymore than any other review, and it's actually probably worse than most other reviews, since they're known to just rag on any movie that will get them a lot of views.
Chill out man. You don’t have to go on the defensive for the movie just because a video you disagree with is posted. The movie has been out since last December and the Cinema Sins movie just came out. I’m sure those of us who wanted to see it and have formed an opinion on it already have done so long before that review. Of course they’re review isn’t the be all end all judgement on the film. It’s just a popular channel that takes jabs at films. Some with more pointed criticism than others. It’s no different than any other review or if someone posted a glowing review that you agreed with.
Old 09-20-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chill out man. You don’t have to go on the defensive for the movie just because a video you disagree with is posted...
Actually, I'm posting because tanman hit on a pet peeve of mine. I've thought CinamaSins was awful for a while now.
Old 09-20-18, 09:18 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
So many hours put into making videos about why they don't like movies. Good thing they didn't spend fighting poverty in their neighborhood or registering people to vote, or something dumb like that.
Old 09-20-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
So many hours put into making videos about why they don't like movies. Good thing they didn't spend fighting poverty in their neighborhood or registering people to vote, or something dumb like that.
To be fair, both of those things sound like work, and arguing with people online is something you can easily do from anywhere, at your own pace. I should know.
Old 09-20-18, 09:53 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Pfft, whatever. I'm going to video prove you wrong so hard. Just give me a month to carefully write and edit a video almost as long as a movie that proves you're wrong and then it is you who will learn what a positive contribution to society looks like!
Old 09-20-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

To clarify I didn't want to change anyone's mind. I'm honestly a bit jealous of people who loved the movie. And yes that's their Schtick it's not evidence of a good film or bad. Sometimes their videos are funny but they've never changed my mind about a movie. But their opinions happened to perfectly line up with my own and pointed out a lot of things that I didn't think about. Like the whole fuel thing. That's another plot device that doesn't fit in at all with Star Wars and yet another thing that the plot heavily relies on that doesn't even have any precedent in the Star Wars universe as a whole. The film didn't feel like Star Wars.

Last edited by tanman; 09-20-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 12:28 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

This thread may never.

I will say this though. My favorite criticism has to be people that think it’s a good movie, but not a good Star Wars movie. I get the argument to an extent, but that still sounds awfully contradictory, and should fully explain why critics like it without much confusion. But, whatever.
Old 09-21-18, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by story
If that's the way someone chooses to spend their hours, who am I to judge? People could say that I'm "wasting" my hours by reading and posting to threads on DVDTalk instead of taking that time to do something altruistic with those hours.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.