Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by james2025a
Went to see it this afternoon.

- Amber Heard and Amy Adams. Both felt out of place in the mpvie and Heard is a HORRIBLE actress. Looks alone get her by, but she is terrible. Adams is a good actress, but she is given little to work with in these movies.
Hmm.. Amber has been at 2 awards nominated movies. Her looks are bellow avarage tho. Many actresses with bellow avarage looks are overhyped like Alexandra Daddario (I can't even with people about this one), Megan Fox (the most overhyped of all time),etc
Adams is a good actress but I don't like her Lois tbh.

Gal Gadot is exactly who the looks alone gets her by. She's insanely gorgeous but her acting is weak, she clearly wasn't born to be an actress beyond for a looks reason.
Old 11-20-17, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
-"Boo yah" from Cyborg? Really?
That's straight from the comics.

Eh, I loved it. Told my husband on the way to the theater I'll enjoy the heck out of it and then I'll come read the bulletin boards about how much it sucked
Old 11-20-17, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

WONDER WOMAN takes place during WWI--100 years ago.

JUSTICE LEAGUE takes place today.

Why hasn't Wonder Woman aged in all this time and what has she been doing for the past 100 years?

Just curious.
Old 11-20-17, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Why hasn't Wonder Woman aged in all this time and what has she been doing for the past 100 years?

Just curious.
She's part god, and her time after WWI was discussed in her argument with Bruce.
Old 11-20-17, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

She's a demi-god.

She withdrew from humanity after the death of Steve Trevor, and only Luthor collecting information on her drew her back out. That's about all we've been given.
Old 11-20-17, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
She's part god, and her time after WWI was discussed in her argument with Bruce.
Half God, half Amazon. And the Amazons don't seem to age either from what we've seen.
Old 11-20-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Well that was disappointing, even for DC standards. Why did the main two action sequences both take place in giant cylinders? Also, how did this movie cost $300 million to make? I just don't see it on the screen. It's not like they have to pay a bunch for the actors, Affleck is the only one who can throw some weight around in negotiations. What would the $150 million version of Justice League look like?
Old 11-20-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Well that was disappointing, even for DC standards. Why did the main two action sequences both take place in giant cylinders? Also, how did this movie cost $300 million to make? I just don't see it on the screen. It's not like they have to pay a bunch for the actors, Affleck is the only one who can throw some weight around in negotiations. What would the $150 million version of Justice League look like?
Mustaches?
Old 11-20-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
She's a demi-god.

She withdrew from humanity after the death of Steve Trevor, and only Luthor collecting information on her drew her back out. That's about all we've been given.
This is something they can work with in WW2. It makes sense. She left behind everything she knew for Aries and Steve. She finished the mission and lost Steve. Now what? She didnt really have much left at that time, so I can see her going into seclusion.
Old 11-20-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw this yesterday with my daughter in a half empty theater. I liked it a lot more than she did but she did like it overall. Her biggest issues was The Flash and that the portrayal is closer to Wally West than Barry Allen. She is a big Flash fan but me not so much so I didn't mind it as much. I do think Grant Gustin is a better Flash overall.

Anyway I actually liked this a lot and cannot wait to see it again. Yes there are issues and you can clearly tell there was 2 directors as there isn't a clear tone and direction throughout the movie.

I actually was very happy that Superman was actually Superman after the past 2 movies. The scene with him seeing The Flash moving was awesome and this was the best portrayal of just how Super he actually is since the Reeve movies.

I thought Gal Gadot was the MVP overall and Jason Momoa was great as well and actually look forward to his solo movie. Not so much The Flash or Cyborg if they do get solo films.

I do recognize some of the flaws that are being pointed out by critics and in this thread, but this movie was a lot of fun and was entertaining as heck so I give it 2 thumbs up. Overall I think Wonder Woman was the best DCEU film but this was right below it for me.

If I had to rank the films on how much I enjoyed them it would be:

Wonder Woman
Justice League
Suicide Squad
Batman V Superman (extended cut)
Man of Steel
Old 11-20-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't care about you fuckers. I had a blast with this movie!

Looks like Snyder but definitely feels Whedon. He probably re-use the fighting scenes and some dialogs but i wouldn't be surprised if he re-shot half the movie
Old 11-20-17, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Just curious.
She was molded from clay by her mother Hippolyta and Zeus gave her life. It was referenced very briefly during the solo flick.

Speaking of "gods" was it Zeus we saw shooting lighting at Steppenwolf during the flash backs? It was so quick I couldn't tell. Apparently there was a GL of sector 2814 5000yrs ago, which is pretty interesting.
Old 11-20-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

As much as I liked the scene of Superman seeing Flash trying to go around him and tracking him -- there was already similar scene in X-Men Apocalypse when Quicksilver tries to do the same thing to Apocalypse but gets caught.

This one in JL was cool, though, too.
Old 11-20-17, 11:06 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
As much as I liked the scene of Superman seeing Flash trying to go around him and tracking him -- there was already similar scene in X-Men Apocalypse when Quicksilver tries to do the same thing to Apocalypse but gets caught.

This one in JL was cool, though, too.
Yes, and there was already a team up movie that pitted our heroes against a bunch of aliens flying around. Not to mention Flash running around and touching WW sword felt similar to the Quicksilver stuff (I did like this scene is JL though).

Oh, and the stinger credits scene... pretty similar to what was already done on the TV shows... Most of this felt familiar and pretty by the numbers. Nothing fresh.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uW3-1cDz9xg" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 11-20-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-20-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steppenwolf_(comics)

Wow, so Steppenwolf was actually a DC comics character?

I didn’t like the villain, but do the guys here who hated the character know him from the comic or just hated how he was portrayed on screen?
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm familiar with the character from the comics. I collected the Kenner Super Powers action figures in the 1980s as a kid. Darkseid and the whole concept of Apocalypse and the New Gods was introduced during the second wave of toys. Steppenwolf was among them and was given a pretty cool redesign by creator Jack Kirby, including a red spiked outfit and a giant "electro-axe." (Neither his redesign nor his original comic book design look ANYTHING like the giant/horned/CGI generic villain in the JL movie... he's really just Steppenwolf in name only.) He was a pretty awesome character (and Darkseid's uncle), but was never portrayed as more than a minion to Darkseid; not really a major threat by himself. So I was absolutely baffled when he was chosen as the Big Bad here.

This whole "save the big names for sequels" mentality needs to die. Brainiac, Grodd, Sinestro, Darkseid, or a recast Lex Luthor would've made a more noteworthy villain for the league to square off with. A sequel where Luthor assembled the Legion of Doom would've been awesome as well. But no, they went with Steppenwolf and shot themselves in the foot.
Old 11-20-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yes, and there was already a team up movie that pitted our heroes against a bunch of aliens flying around. Not to mention Flash running around and touching WW sword felt similar to the Quicksilver stuff (I did like this scene is JL though).

Oh, and the stinger credits scene... pretty similar to what was already done on the TV shows... Most of this felt familiar and pretty by the numbers. Nothing fresh.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uW3-1cDz9xg" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn, I'm so behind on the Flash (only saw season 1) and have yet to watch any of Supergirl.
Old 11-20-17, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F
She was molded from clay by her mother Hippolyta and Zeus gave her life. It was referenced very briefly during the solo flick.
The molded from clay thing is what she was told, but I thought during the climax of WW there were implications that Zeus actually may have fathered her the traditional way.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 11-20-17 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-20-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Oh, and the stinger credits scene... pretty similar to what was already done on the TV shows... Most of this felt familiar and pretty by the numbers. Nothing fresh
It's been done throughout DC media including on Smallville and Superman: The Animated Series. Dates back to the comic book in the 1970s or something, that's where it originated. If you didn't care for it, fair enough, but for me it was fun to see it on the big screen.
Old 11-20-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The molded from clay thing is what she was told, but I thought during the climax of WW there were implications that he actually may have fathered her the traditional way.
Not sure, I think they left it ambiguous since she has had different origins. Point is, she's the daughter of Zeus and sister of Ares, a point I wish they focused on more outside of that one line at the end.
Old 11-20-17, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jagn
Hmm.. Amber has been at 2 awards nominated movies. Her looks are bellow avarage tho. Many actresses with bellow avarage looks are overhyped like Alexandra Daddario (I can't even with people about this one), Megan Fox (the most overhyped of all time),etc
Adams is a good actress
Look, everyone has their own tastes as far as what they prefer in women, but if Amber Herd, Alexandria Daddario, and Megan Fox are considered below average in the looks department where you come from, then please point me to this island of hotties where you live.
Old 11-20-17, 11:38 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
It's been done throughout DC media including on Smallville and Superman: The Animated Series. Dates back to the comic book in the 1970s or something, that's where it originated. If you didn't care for it, fair enough, but for me it was fun to see it on the big screen.
It's just one example of many things that felt recycled. Granted anything I may refer to may have been in the comic, but by the time this film came out, many things have already been done.
Old 11-20-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Regardless of her origins in the movie, "eternal youth" has been one of WW's comic book traits since at least the 1970s, if not before.
Old 11-20-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steppenwolf_(comics)

Wow, so Steppenwolf was actually a DC comics character?

I didn’t like the villain, but do the guys here who hated the character know him from the comic or just hated how he was portrayed on screen?
He's a known character to DC readers but he's always been a second or third-string villain. I knew the movie was being set up to be a disappointment when they announced Steppenwolf as the primary villain. He's about 50th on my list of DC villains that I would want appearing in a Justice League film.

No one that writes comics for a living would have made Steppenwolf the main villain in the first Justice League movie ever on the big screen. No one. Whoever made the decision is someone with very poor superhero instincts that has likely never read more than a few comics in their life.

Studios get locked into these CGI characters fairly early in the scripting process because everything revolves around their blocking and development. I think that is why these big CGI villains continue to disappoint on the big screeen. There is little room for improvisation and refinement once the movie's production gets going.

Grant Morrison should write a graphic novel of this movie's production where the real villains in a meta sense are Warner's film executives.
Old 11-20-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I loved it, even though the imagery and scene has obviously played out elsewhere. There's something nice about seeing big screen versions of Flash and Superman specifically set up the race, and done in a nice and delightful manner.

I'm not big on the CW universe, but did see the first Flash/Supergirl crossover, and that didn't overshadow anything for me.
Old 11-20-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

They're not the strongest actors (and that is some poor dialog), but Gustin and Benoist have some fantastic chemistry with each other, something sorely missing from the movies, something that no amount of CGI can create.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.