Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 10:21 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by stingermck

With that said, I'm sure there is plenty of finger pointing.
No doubt there is... internally at WB, which is worthy of being reported. Not buy a bunch of people on Twitter.
Old 11-21-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Even Granny Goodness is more interesting than Steppenwolf as a villain.
True!! I could be wrong but they seemed to use Granny a lot in the cartoons/animated films. Ed Asner voiced her on the JL cartoons.
Old 11-21-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
True!! I could be wrong but they seemed to use Granny a lot in the cartoons/animated films. Ed Asner voiced her on the JL cartoons.
Could you imagine the complaining? Even with Barda and the furies. They'd make for great WW villains as a buildup to Darkseid that isn't happening, though.

I dunno, Steppenwolf got his own Super Powers figure way back in the day, so at least he's not a nobody.
Old 11-21-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

http://deadline.com/2017/11/justice-...ce-1202213065/

Made it to $101.3M so far with Monday being included.
Old 11-21-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Apparently the WB CEO is getting called out on Twitter by name from fans and critics alike for dictating the under two hour runtime of the film.

WB CEO Spotlight

As much as Synders take on all this feels a bit Elseworld, or at least none traditional, you can see the consistent themes and world developed across the films to date.

Can somebody refresh my memory - was the BvS extended cut announced after or along with the theatrical release?
It was still in theaters when they asked Snyder and he said there would be an extended cut for home video.
Old 11-21-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

But still tracking to lose 50 to 100M, right? Or will there be a holiday bump before Star Wars destroys everything?
Old 11-21-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

There should be a holiday bump, especially if the weather holds out. Not sure if it'll be enough, though.
Old 11-21-17, 01:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Kids/families will flock to Coco. I’m doubting it will.
Old 11-21-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Probably, but I'm sure JL will still get a bit of a bump (as in, not drop as much as it otherwise would have)

Coco is now the highest grossing film in Mexico's history, beating out The Avengers in just 3 weeks.
Old 11-21-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

You thought it had been split into pieces, distributed among various protectors, and locked up so securely that no one would ever find it again ... but here it is ...

Abob Teff’s Random Page 3 Thoughts!!!!

I’ll just run through what I can remember. I have seen it twice (3D and 2D) and my thoughts didn’t change much the second time. Overall, I enjoyed it and will buy it on BR. It is flawed, but it was fun. Mostly.

Opening —loved the cover of “Everybody Knows”, a song I have loved since Pump Up the Volume. Batman’s opening was pretty good, but did anybody else see Kick Ass when the parademon exploded? (Green background, three yellow squares ...)

Wonder Woman’s open was a good re-introduction to the character, but did nothing. The terrorist group was not tied back to the plot as I suspected they would be (either destroying the world to invoke more fear and hasten Steppenwolf’s arrival or by trying to prevent it). That left it pointless and I wish they had cut it. The bomb was supposed to destroy 4 city blocks, but she through it out the window to save everybody. Uh ...

Aquaman’s intro was choppy. You could tell stuff had been cut which left it almost nonsensical. It also showed off why I don’t like Batfleck — some of his worst acting was right there. Speaking of Aquaman, I laughed at the DC intro showing the orange/green version. Overall, I didn’t care much for him in this movie. I’ll reserve judgment until we get the stand alone though.

Flash ... eh, I’m mixed. Some good and funny stuff mixed with a really annoying penchant for mugging for the camera. Not sure I’m sold on his standalone.

Cyborg ... apparently I saw something different than everybody else here. I liked the character and how they used him. While I would have liked to see more of him, I think they did a good job of giving us just enough and not overdoing it. They didn’t beat us over the head with him like they did the other characters.

Steppenwolf ... the CG and Ciaran Hinds’s performance were both great, but not necessarily together. The character though was more of the same bland, generic, cookie cuttter villain we’ve seen too many times. A dropped line about Darkseid indicates material was jettisoned which may have changed that. All in all, everything “bad guy” — even the Mother Boxes — came off as a generic trope whose only purpose was to give the heroes something to do.

Speaking of Mother Boxes ... way to go Mankind. The Amazons and the Atlantians secured their boxes and posted guards. Man? Eh, **ck it, just bury it here. No, no, that’s deep enough.

Speaking of buried mothers ... Martha and every Lois Lane scene needed to go almost completely. The only place they fit into the movie was the awakening of Superman and then they both should have been Batman’s contingency plan.

Superman ... great job with what we got, but they missed the opportunity to play the long game — no evil Superman, no Bizarro, no black costume. I will say I laughed my ass of at these things though: we get a giant mechanized spider and then Superman awakens and starts to fly with no cape.

Run time ... feels as if they cut too much in the wrong places. As I said, all the Lois Lane scenes could have gone with no impact to the movie. I can’t recall other specific ones, but I know there were several other scenes I thought “wow, I could have done with a bit more character development over that”. Some of the stuff cut maybe should have stayed in. The fact that it felt too short to me and I wanted more means I enjoyed it enough to be interested. With Suicide Squad I was just wanting it to be over.

And finally, Batman. No secret, I don’t like Batfleck. There were parts where he was really good as Batman and parts where he was absolutely atrocious. However, wat the movie did with the character was just awful. He was extremely overused for the shallowness that was portrayed. Really a generic version of Night Owl, from his look to his behavior. Oh, and too many guns for Batman.

Post credits ... Flash/Superman was OK. Amusing but not creative. As for Lex Luthor, I cannot wait to see the next movie where he starts a women’s baseball league with Deadpool.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-21-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 01:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't seen JL or BvS yet and it's actually entertaining reading the thread(s) starting with the announcements, hype, love, trailers, more hype, release, denial, hatred, and blame on what a cluster f*ck these movies are. 😂
Old 11-21-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

The article's title of "‘Justice League’ Flies Past $101M" makes it sound like a better feat then it actually was.
Old 11-21-17, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Could you imagine the complaining? Even with Barda and the furies. They'd make for great WW villains as a buildup to Darkseid that isn't happening, though.

I dunno, Steppenwolf got his own Super Powers figure way back in the day, so at least he's not a nobody.
Even Dassad would have made for a more interesting villain than Steppenwolf, and he could have been played by an actual person instead of whatever CGI mess they were using here.
Old 11-21-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
You thought it had been split into pieces, distributed among various protectors, and locked up so securely that no one would ever find it again ... but here it is ...

Abob Teff’s Random Page 3 Thoughts!!!!

I’ll just run through what I can remember. I have seen it twice (3D and 2D) and my thoughts didn’t change much the second time. Overall, I enjoyed it and will buy it on BR. It is flawed, but it was fun. Mostly.

Opening —loved the cover of “Everybody Knows”, a song I have loved since Pump Up the Volume. Batman’s opening was pretty good, but did anybody else see Kick Ass when the parademon exploded? (Green background, three yellow squares ...)

Wonder Woman’s open was a good re-introduction to the character, but did nothing. The terrorist group was not tied back to the plot as I suspected they would be (either destroying the world to invoke more fear and hasten Steppenwolf’s arrival or by trying to prevent it). That left it pointless and I wish they had cut it. The bomb was supposed to destroy 4 city blocks, but she through it out the window to save everybody. Uh ...

Aquaman’s intro was choppy. You could tell stuff had been cut which left it almost nonsensical. It also showed off why I don’t like Batfleck — some of his worst acting was right there. Speaking of Aquaman, I laughed at the DC intro showing the orange/green version. Overall, I didn’t care much for him in this movie. I’ll reserve judgment until we get the stand alone though.

Flash ... eh, I’m mixed. Some good and funny stuff mixed with a really annoying penchant for mugging for the camera. Not sure I’m sold on his standalone.

Cyborg ... apparently I saw something different than everybody else here. I liked the character and how they used him. While I would have liked to see more of him, I think they did a good job of giving us just enough and not overdoing it. They didn’t beat us over the head with him like they did the other characters.

Steppenwolf ... the CG and Ciaran Hinds’s performance were both great, but not necessarily together. The character though was more of the same bland, generic, cookie cuttter villain we’ve seen too many times. A dropped line about Darkseid indicates material was jettisoned which may have changed that. All in all, everything “bad guy” — even the Mother Boxes — came off as a generic trope whose only purpose was to give the heroes something to do.

Speaking of Mother Boxes ... way to go Mankind. The Amazons and the Atlantians secured their boxes and posted guards. Man? Eh, **ck it, just bury it here. No, no, that’s deep enough.

Speaking of buried mothers ... Martha and every Lois Lane scene needed to go almost completely. The only place they fit into the movie was the awakening of Superman and then they both should have been Batman’s contingency plan.

Superman ... great job with what we got, but they missed the opportunity to play the long game — no evil Superman, no Bizarro, no black costume. I will say I laughed my ass of at these things though: we get a giant mechanized spider and then Superman awakens and starts to fly with no cape.

Run time ... feels as if they cut too much in the wrong places. As I said, all the Lois Lane scenes could have gone with no impact to the movie. I can’t recall other specific ones, but I know there were several other scenes I thought “wow, I could have done with a bit more character development over that”. Some of the stuff cut maybe should have stayed in. The fact that it felt too short to me and I wanted more means I enjoyed it enough to be interested. With Suicide Squad I was just wanting it to be over.

And finally, Batman. No secret, I don’t like Batfleck. There were parts where he was really good as Batman and parts where he was absolutely atrocious. However, wat the movie did with the character was just awful. He was extremely overused for the shallowness that was portrayed. Really a generic version of Night Owl, from his look to his behavior. Oh, and too many guns for Batman.

Post credits ... Flash/Superman was OK. Amusing but not creative. As for Lex Luthor, I cannot wait to see the next movie where he starts a women’s baseball league with Deadpool.
Thanks for sharing you thoughts. However, I have to disagree on the Lois and Martha content. I enjoyed all of it and actually didn’t think there was enough. I thought their scenes helped show the personal non-superhero fallout from Superman’s death. I hope an extended cut has more content that would give their scenes additional weight and perhaps change your mind.
Old 11-21-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I agree about the Lois and Martha scenes. I didn’t really mind them at all and felt like they added some heart to the film.
Old 11-21-17, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Saw it today in a near empty theater.

Thank god for Gal Gadot because without her I'd have fallen asleep.

Mind blown you've got a billion dollar moneymaker on the line and fuck it up by picking a CGI baddie nobody gives a shit about. Also Zack Snyder is a glorified cinematographer. All his movies feel like endless exposition until a final showdown. There are just too many characters and too much needless nonsense going on; Snyder's ADD style is frankly annoying as shit. Cyborg was worthless. Aquaman didn't have enough to do either. Affleck end of the day is simply a shitty actor.

So basically you're left with Gadot who is so easy on the eyes and perfect in the role and Henry Cavill who is also pretty spot on but only in like a quarter of the film.
Old 11-21-17, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

One thing I found kind of weird is Bruce talking about using old Wayne Manor for the site of the Hall of Justice. Seems like that would call a lot of attention to him because he lives on the same property.
Old 11-21-17, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Thanks for sharing you thoughts. However, I have to disagree on the Lois and Martha content. I enjoyed all of it and actually didn’t think there was enough. I thought their scenes helped show the personal non-superhero fallout from Superman’s death. I hope an extended cut has more content that would give their scenes additional weight and perhaps change your mind.

Yeah I don't see how removing the only civilians from the movie would help. You gotta have people to keep this thing somewhat grounded. It's borderline a CGI fest already. If anything the flick needed more Lois and Martha. Part of the reason Cyborg works is because of Joe Morton's character keeping him grounded.
Old 11-21-17, 08:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Sounds like X-Men: Apocalypse but with DC characters.... shame.

Save Gadot. Save Cavill. Save Momoa. Brighten up the colors and wipe the vaseline from the lens. Drop the CGI and make it Justice League vs the Legion of Doom. Jettison the rest.
Old 11-21-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is something an extended cut could fix (or could make worse). I think their scenes needed more context which probably ended up on the cutting room floor. Otherwise, there really wasn’t much point that pertained to the plot. So Lois doesn’t want to write and Martha quit paying her mortgage. How does that move the plot? Lois’s monologue at the end ... I zoned out both times.

I think you are right, they were there to convey heart and hope and be a tie back to the normal world. Problem is that the movie never really conveyed the bleakness and dispair of society that it claimed. Without that, Lois and Martha served no real purpose.
Old 11-21-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
One thing I found kind of weird is Bruce talking about using old Wayne Manor for the site of the Hall of Justice. Seems like that would call a lot of attention to him because he lives on the same property.
Oh. I thought he and Wonder Woman were starting a family!? (Not really, but that scene sure played that way ... he’s talking about a dinner table for the family to sit at, then she walks in and says “with room for more” — only thing missing was her rubbing her belly.)
Old 11-21-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Not nearly enough Supes and his return wasn’t as epic as i was hoping

Flash was good

“You smell good.” was bad

Also did Henry Cavill not film any of this when he didn’t have a mustache?
Old 11-21-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Not nearly enough Supes and his return wasn’t as epic as i was hoping

Flash was good

“You smell good.” was bad

Also did Henry Cavill not film any of this when he didn’t have a mustache?
There was apparently at least 2 scenes that were part of the re-shoots with Cavill & the mustache. The cell phone opening and the close up of Clark after he was resurrected. Not sure about any more.
Old 11-21-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Well every scene he was in it looked like he had cgi on his face
Old 11-22-17, 03:07 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Well every scene he was in it looked like he had cgi on his face
Is that a sex term the kids are using these days?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.