Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Regal Cinema - Introducing "Dynamic Pricing"

Old 10-26-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regal Cinema - Introducing "Dynamic Pricing"

Regal Cinemas will start "dynamic pricing" in 2018.
This is on the heels of a 12% revenue drop from last year.
Regal won't share revenue with MoviePass.

The idea of theater chains offering different ticket prices for different movies has been kicked around for years.

It's the age-old question: Would you be more willing to go to the movies to see something that's a dumpster fire if the ticket were dirt cheap?

And now it looks like "dynamic pricing" is going to be put to the test.

Regal Cinemas, one of the largest theater chains in the country, announced on Tuesday that it will test the concept in 2018 by charging higher prices for hit movies, and lower prices for flops.

“Changes to the historical pricing structure have often been discussed but rarely tested in our industry, and we’re excited to learn even more about how pricing changes impact customer behavior,” Amy Miles, CEO of Regal, said Tuesday on a call with analysts, according to Bloomberg.

It's a model movie ticket app Atom Tickets has been lobbying theaters to try out.

The big question, though, in how far the "dynamic pricing" will go. What will constitute as a bomb? A big budget studio movie that doesn't perform well, like Warner Bros.' "Geostorm?" Or an independent film that will likely be seen by more people on streaming services than in theaters?

Regal could potentially see empty seats in its theaters for both types of movies, but should an indie suffer if it's not bringing in a mass audience?

Business Insider contacted Regal for some answers but did not get an immediate response.

It's obvious that movie theater chains have to start thinking outside the box.

Regal reported on Tuesday that its revenue dropped 12% from a year earlier, to $716 million. A major reason is that many movies movies have performed poorly in the last year, adding to pressure from great content on TV and streaming.

Another hoped "game changer" to the movie business is MoviePass, the service that allows one-a-day admission to theaters for $10 a month. However, Miles also said in the call on Tuesday that Regal won't be sharing revenue with MoviePass.
Old 10-26-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Regal Cinema - Introducing "Dynamic Pricing"

Why would they share anything with Moviepass?
Old 10-26-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Why would they share anything with Moviepass?
Good question. As much as I hate to say it I can see the industry backing this completely. This might be a comparative test to see which produces more revenue overall.

The important part:

How much of an increase or decrease are we talking about?
Old 10-26-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

This is a stupid idea. Already most of the people I know hate going to the movies because of the ridiculous ticket prices so now, when that rare thing happens that they do want to see, they are going to be asked to pay even more? It's almost like the theaters are desperate to go out of business. People will just wait until it comes out on a streaming service. That's who's going to benefit from this the most.
Old 10-26-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
This is a stupid idea. Already most of the people I know hate going to the movies because of the ridiculous ticket prices so now, when that rare thing happens that they do want to see, they are going to be asked to pay even more? It's almost like the theaters are desperate to go out of business. People will just wait until it comes out on a streaming service. That's who's going to benefit from this the most.
Films already hit streaming services 2-4 weeks before they hit physical media anyway. I already have Atomic Blonde via VUDU, which hits BD in November and Brawl in Cell Block 99, which hits BD the day after Christmas.

I also saw that a Regal ticket is priced at $16.20 for certain showtimes -- shit, that's even more than an Arclight ticket and nowhere near as nice as one.
Old 10-26-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Matinees ... @ another theater

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-26-17 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-26-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Films already hit streaming services 2-4 weeks before they hit physical media anyway. I already have Atomic Blonde via VUDU, which hits BD in November and Brawl in Cell Block 99, which hits BD the day after Christmas.

I also saw that a Regal ticket is priced at $16.20 for certain showtimes -- shit, that's even more than an Arclight ticket and nowhere near as nice as one.
the local Regal (which is decent not great but in a rich area) is $13.48 per ticket. the Landmark downtown is cheaper....
Old 10-26-17, 08:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

My only local theaters are a nasty discount pit, and a dilapidated Regal that charges $14 for a non-imax/3D showing. Without MoviePass we only saw a couple movies a year, and I'd easily go back to that if MoviePass changes.
Old 10-26-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Regal can do whatever. They are my least-visited theater.
Old 10-26-17, 09:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i only have Regal near me. this sucks...
Old 10-26-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Regal can do whatever. They are my least-visited theater.
Me too. Thankfully we have a Cinemark here. $5 Tuesday! The closest cinema to my house is a Regal but I don't go there because it is in a very bad part of town.
Old 10-26-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Regal is the closest theater to where I live.

Harkins is the next closest, and then it's AMC. I also have a Krikorian theater near me, but they are so dead that I'm afraid they may not make it. It's in a ghost town shopping mall that no one in my area visits.

I usually visit Regals for matinees and the price is around $9.25 per ticket. I guess it's wait and see what the hell this means.
Old 10-27-17, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I could understand the high prices on one end but only if the prices get so low on the other end that they start paying people to see certain movies.
Old 10-27-17, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Me too. Thankfully we have a Cinemark here. $5 Tuesday! The closest cinema to my house is a Regal but I don't go there because it is in a very bad part of town.
Cinemark here is $4.50 every day before 6pm. Weird thing is it's located in an "upscale" part of town where you would expect the price to be higher.
Old 10-27-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I get discount Regal tickets via my sister. It's $8 and you can use it for any movie at any time and it doesn't expire. Check with your benefits/HR at work. They have the program at a lot of workplaces.
Old 10-27-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Regal bought out my favorite independently-owned theaters earlier this year. I haven't been to one since Rogue One, but almost everyone says Regal has already turned them into shit holes.
Old 10-27-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh...I'm a Saturday/Sunday morning movie goer and there is rarely anyone in those showing along with me. I'd imagine those prices would remain the same or even decrease.
Old 10-27-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does this mean Moviepass will no longer work at Regal? I'm moving and they will be the closes chain by me.
Old 10-27-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Does this mean Moviepass will no longer work at Regal? I'm moving and they will be the closes chain by me.
I would guess that that is up to MoviePass. If Regal defines what their "max price" is, I'm sure they could deal with it by loading the max price onto your card whenever you check in, but that might be a recipe for abuse
Old 10-27-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I would guess that that is up to MoviePass. If Regal defines what their "max price" is, I'm sure they could deal with it by loading the max price onto your card whenever you check in, but that might be a recipe for abuse
That's why I bet it will be a floating fee based upon demand, mostly to defeat Moviepass. I don't think this is going to go over well with movie goers.
Old 10-27-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Theaters have floated the idea of dynamic pricing for a ridiculous number of years, but it is interesting that Regal is acting as the canary in the coal mine and taking the plunge to give dynamic pricing a shot. Even if this scheme does not greatly boost their fortunes, if it does nothing but keep them afloat 6 months from now I can see other theater chains following their lead.

If this becomes a thing I foresee crazy crowded matinees (regardless of whether a tentpole is playing or not) as folks try to avoid the $20 instead of $12.50 ticket for a Friday/Sat eve showing of a film with great reviews.
Old 10-27-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But if the matinees are crowded they'll just raise the price for those.

It's only a matter of time before bought up by another chain like AMC if they implement this. Probably the beginning of the end already.
Old 10-27-17, 11:21 AM

I remember in 1999 the General Cinemas at the Mall of America couldn't charge more for tickets to Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace so they just raised the prices across the board.

If Regal does dynamic pricing, will the current prices be the starting point for the "duds" and then prices for "hits" only go up from there?

Can't even picture where a Regal is near me. I'm in AMC Country.
Old 10-27-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
But if the matinees are crowded they'll just raise the price for those.

It's only a matter of time before bought up by another chain like AMC if they implement this. Probably the beginning of the end already.
I'm sure they would stop asap upon it doing any long term financial damage to their company.

Those of us with multiple theater options will just go elsewhere if the price difference is that great. Given all theaters are hurting, I'm surprised they didn't make a deal and go all out trying this.
Old 10-27-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
Can't even picture where a Regal is near me. I'm in AMC Country.
I think there is one in Eagan.

My closest Regal (Brooklyn Center) was sold about 2 months ago to become a Top Golf event center. Drove by the other day and it was already demolished.

Glad I won't have to deal with them on this. Hopefully, other chains don't follow suit. This may just drive more people away from going to the theater and opting to wait until home video.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.