Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Harvey gets sued from Canada tonight (along with Disney, oddly), and someone finally outs one of his female assistant-facilitators:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-assaults.html

The next morning the woman says she received a call from Schneeweiss, who said Weinstein wished to meet her for a “breakfast meeting” at the Sutton Place Hotel to “discuss her career and potential opportunities with Miramax.”

Once alone with the woman, Weinstein allegedly said he liked massages and asked, “What do you think about massages?”

The woman said she thought they were “great,” but the subject was “not an appropriate one for a business meeting.”

“Weinstein chuckled, then sat silently and did not move,” the statement of claim reads. “He stared intently at her for several seconds.”
And not surprisingly, it gets uglier from there . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also, the media has been getting plenty of mileage out of this on-the-nose clip today:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M4dHf6jnwaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Brian T; 10-31-17 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-31-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

Add in all the pretentious shit actors have to go through to play their character (and we, the audience, applauds them for). It gets complex. Harvey Weinstein is unforgivable. Kevin Spacey (at 26 years old) pushed himself onto a 14 year old boy-actor, but didn't do anything. There's a difference, right?
Seems like the answer should be yes there is a difference.
Old 10-31-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Objectivity is fine..in a court of law. This forum is a court of public opinion. We can think what we want even if it seems to lack sympathy.
Of course anyone here can can think what they want. So can I, and I think the lack of objectivity in the court of public opinion surrounding some this is damaging to everyone involved including the victims. In no way does any of that mean that attempting to inject some objectivity into the conversation is "excusing pedophilia" as someone said I seemed to be doing.

In my opinion, all of the "not guilty" posts in this thread are the best examples of DVD Talk members excusing pedophilia, but maybe that's a conversation for another thread.
Old 11-01-17, 08:12 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Brett Ratner Accused of Sexual Harassment by Six Women (Report)
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/bre...nt-1202604256/
Old 11-01-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dustin Hoffman Sexually Harassed Me When I Was 17 (Guest Column)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fea...column-1053466
Old 11-01-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

oh man, and here we go...
Old 11-01-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

From the stuff I've been reading, harassment is an extremely broad term, some of these are pretty innocuous (in some cases, it was a sign of the times, even if it wasn't right), others are pretty vile.
Old 11-01-17, 10:11 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Come on...
Old 11-01-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

But the bad news is Brenda* [my supervisor] said it's too bad it became an issue. Hell, I didn't make it an issue. He did. She said that for the sake of the production we have to sacrifice some of our values and just let it roll over our heads. She said we should try to have a sense of humor and just giggle and slap his hands or something. But that's when I feel the cheapest, like, "Oh, she really likes it."
Again, it's everyone else facilitating and covering up his bad behavior.

Definitely an eye-opening piece. For those on this thread who wonder why women don't report such things, this piece is a must-read. She was 17 and is quite articulate about the mixed feelings she had.
Old 11-01-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
From the stuff I've been reading, harassment is an extremely broad term, some of these are pretty innocuous (in some cases, it was a sign of the times, even if it wasn't right), others are pretty vile.

Part of the problem is that a lot of people, especially in narcissist-magnet Hollywood, believe "the times" haven't changed, so they just keep right on indulging themselves. But the reality is we now live in a time where it's easier to affect meaningful change then ever before, even if it means utilizing the legitimate press and social media to call out egregious behavior and seedy situations from the past in order to hose off the road toward some kind of progress. Hopefully, anyway. This is Hollywood, after all, and this kind behavior dates back to its very inception, so a housecleaning has been long overdue.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Again, it's everyone else facilitating and covering up his bad behavior.
I do think a lot more of these "assistants" need to be named and held accountable if a real clean-up is to be effective. I'm sure some of them felt just as victimized -- or likely to be victimized -- as those they helped feed to the beasts who employed them. But their seeming ability to "normalize" their work as "sex brokers" for the rich, entitled men they worked for is deeply disturbing. Business as usual for some of them, but surely a defense mechanism for others, which only served to keep this stuff under the rug even longer.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-01-17 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Second Man Accuses Kevin Spacey of Sexual Assault: He ‘Grabbed My Whole Package’
US filmmaker Tony Montana claims he was groped by the actor in a Los Angeles bar in 2003.
Montana says he was left with PTSD for six months after he claims Spacey "forcefully" grabbed his crotch.
It follows an allegation made by Anthony Rapp that the House of Cards actor tried to "seduce" him when he was 14 years old.
Kevin Spacey says he has no recollection of that encounter, and was "beyond horrified".
Film director Montana told Radar Online that he was in his thirties when the incident took place at the Coronet Bar in LA.
He says he removed Spacey's hand from his crotch and walked away, but claims the actor later followed him into the men's toilets.

Separately, a British man claims Kevin Spacey exposed himself to him in 2010, when he was working at a hotel in West Sussex.
Speaking to the Sun, Daniel Beal alleges the Usual Suspects star flashed his private parts, saying: "It's big, isn't it?" and tried to get the then 19-year-old to touch him.
The former bartender claims Spacey also invited him up to his room, but he rejected the star's advances.
Beal says Spacey gave him his £5,000 watch later that same evening, and a few weeks later called him asking to meet up.
He told the Sun: "In hindsight, that must have been grooming. He was just like his character in House Of Cards - seedy and a bit weird."

The BBC has also uncovered allegations of sexual misconduct against Spacey by a man who claims he was harassed by the star in the mid-1980s.
The man, who wanted to remain anonymous, says he met the star at theatre school before being invited to New York by him, when he was 17 years old.

Speaking to the Victoria Derbyshire programme, the man (who they've called John), says despite sleeping on the star's sofa he woke up fully clothed with Spacey lying on him, in his underwear.
John, who still works in the entertainment industry, said Spacey again became "affectionate" the second night he was in the city.
"I burst into tears because I couldn't articulate any more what was happening to me. I was scared... To his credit, he backed off and we went to sleep."
Reflecting on his experience, John says: "It seems he was grooming me. For me, I never let on that that's what I was interested in. I never discussed it, nor did I want it.
John points out neither of them drank any alcohol that weekend.
"He was either very stupid or he was predatory - or maybe a little of both. I was uncomfortable at best, traumatised at worst, emotionally.
John says he didn't tell the authorities or his parents at the time, although he has since told friends.
Old 11-01-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Tony Montana claims he was groped by the actor in a Los Angeles bar in 2003
I thought Tony Montana already dressed him down...

Old 11-01-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Of course anyone here can can think what they want. So can I, and I think the lack of objectivity in the court of public opinion surrounding some this is damaging to everyone involved including the victims. In no way does any of that mean that attempting to inject some objectivity into the conversation is "excusing pedophilia" as someone said I seemed to be doing.

In my opinion, all of the "not guilty" posts in this thread are the best examples of DVD Talk members excusing pedophilia, but maybe that's a conversation for another thread.
Fair enough. It ALL certainly does seem to feed "Rape Culture".
Old 11-01-17, 12:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Brett Ratner Accused of Sexual Harassment by Six Women (Report)
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/bre...nt-1202604256/
I’m amazed it took this long for the Ratner stuff to come out. He’s a total creep.
Old 11-01-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I’m amazed it took this long for the Ratner stuff to come out. He’s a total creep.
People didn't want to smear him until he had a chance to finish Hercules.
Old 11-01-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yea, his lawyers are ridiculous stating no one had ever heard of his behavior before. It's been out there for some time. That is what lawyers do though.
Old 11-01-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure jerry Bruckheimer will be accused of something soon
Old 11-01-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I do think a lot more of these "assistants" need to be named and held accountable if a real clean-up is to be effective. I'm sure some of them felt just as victimized -- or likely to be victimized -- as those they helped feed to the beasts who employed them. But their seeming ability to "normalize" their work as "sex brokers" for the rich, entitled men they worked for is deeply disturbing. Business as usual for some of them, but surely a defense mechanism for others, which only served to keep this stuff under the rug even longer.
Those assistants do run into the same issues though - "I'll ruin you if you say anything". I'm sure many quit rather than trying to take on a powerful director or actor.
Old 11-01-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
im sure jerry Bruckheimer will be accused of something soon
I doubt it. Have you followed his career? Don Simpson was the crazy perverted coked out maniac during their 80s/90s heyday. He probably had a rap sheet a mile long that would take him down from this hysteria, but died in 96. Bruckheimer was the straight edge guy in their partnership.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 11-01-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 01:06 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Those assistants do run into the same issues though - "I'll ruin you if you say anything". I'm sure many quit rather than trying to take on a powerful director or actor.
Or maybe a lot of these assistants were just shitty people who didn't give a fuck?
Old 11-01-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Powerful Hollywood personalities sexually assault, rape, and wield influence to silence victims and ruin their careers.

Internet: I'd like to see more accountability for the assistants.
Old 11-01-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Powerful Hollywood personalities sexually assault, rape, and wield influence to silence victims and ruin their careers.

But to be fair, I'm sure a court of law would take that into consideration. I mean Shit, some states now have laws were standing by and not helping people in trouble can get them arrested. Some of these assistants, most likely under intimidation whether real or imagined, more or less led these women/men(?) right into abusive situations. If I led you to an alley where you got your ass kicked, I'd say I was guilty of assisting in your assault even if the person(s) who kicked your ass threatened me to brings you there.
Old 11-01-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

They're practically paid pimps. Why shouldn't they be taken to task? As I mentioned in my post above, many of them probably felt just as threatened as the eventual victims, but stayed the course anyway. The lawsuit from the actress here in Toronto directly names one of them, so clearly they're a part of the problem, especially in the Weinstein cases. This does not absolve the people they work for, as if that needed saying.
Old 11-01-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They're practically paid pimps. Why shouldn't they be taken to task? As I mentioned in my post above, many of them probably felt just as threatened as the eventual victims, but stayed the course anyway. The lawsuit from the actress here in Toronto directly names one of them, so clearly they're a part of the problem, especially in the Weinstein cases. This does not absolve the people they work for, as if that needed saying.
Yeah it sucks for them, but damn...
Old 11-01-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, but due to statutes of limitation and lack of evidence in crimes that are all ready difficult to prove, what is the end game for these assistants? The best way to damage the abusers is through social media shaming and the loss of investors/threat of boycotts. That's easy to do for somebody in the limelight like Weinstein, but it's a lot harder to target no-name assistants. And this was Weinstein's tactic, is it something we've heard other producers doing?

To take it a step further, Hollywood as a whole is complicit. Every powerful star or director that worked for Miramax enabled Weinstein to some extent. I think they're really scummy to live a life of luxury knowing that their pal was abusing people right under their noses, but what can we do to punish them?

This doesn't strike me as a circumstance where anybody will do any time, just have their lives/career ruined. Our best hope is changing the Hollywood landscape forever, so that it's not a haven for predators. When this first broke, I feared Hollywood was serving Harvey up as a sacrificial lamb and business would continue as usual. But I've been pleasantly surprised to see the names continue to drop, even currently popular actors like Kevin Spacey, so perhaps there's hope.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.