Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 10-30-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Corey Feldman alleged Monday that he was molested in the 1980s by a current Los Angeles Dodgers’ employee who “ran a child’s club in Hollywood” at the time.

“The Goonies” actor would not name the alleged abuser, citing security fears and possible legal repercussions, but said the man was one of two people who sexually abused him when he was a Hollywood child star three decades ago.

“I’ve told these names to the police,” Feldman said during an appearance on NBC’s “Megyn Kelly Today” on Monday. “I’ve told the names to investigative reporters. Nobody’s ever put it out there.”

Feldman said he identified the alleged abusers in 1993 to police officers in Santa Barbara, California, while they interrogated him about sexual abuse allegations against Michael Jackson. (Feldman has denied that Jackson was a pedophile.)

The Santa Barbara police told Feldman that his alleged molestation took place outside their jurisdiction and he should follow up with the Los Angeles Police Department, Feldman said. But he did not, out of fear of being “scolded” and “shamed.”

Representatives for both the L.A. Dodgers and the Santa Barbara Police Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Feldman has publicly identified former child talent manager and convicted sex offender Marty Weiss as one of his former abusers. He said he would be “happy” to name five other alleged abusers once he gets legal representation.

“Believe me, I would love the pain to stop today,” Feldman said. “This is about creating a cycle of awareness. This is about opening people’s eyes and minds to the fact that this is a real problem.”

During an interview on NBC’s “Today” show earlier on Monday, Feldman said he planned to identify the abusers in a film about his alleged encounters with a Hollywood pedophile ring, but first needed to meet his $10 million crowdfund campaign goal in order to make the movie. Feldman launched his campaign last week on Indiegogo and said the sum would cover the cost of the film as well as his legal and physical protection.

Feldman has said that he and “Two Corey’s” co-star Corey Haim, who died in 2010, were both sexually abused in the 1980s. The publishers of Feldman’s 2013 memoir, Coreyography, wouldn’t allow him to publish the names of some of the abusers, he said.
Old 10-30-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The fact that he "doesn't remember" indicates to me that he does (or did) this so often that it all blurred together. Which is even more troubling.
In fairness to Spacey, this seems somewhat speculative. I think Spacey is claiming he doesn't remember because he was intoxicated that night. Rapp said it was after a "party".

An innocent person would simply categorically deny it.
I tend to agree with this. Or to put it another way, someone who was sure of their innocence would categorically deny it. Someone who knows they were drunk that night and doesn't remember what happened would be foolish to categorically deny it.

And to be clear, being drunk does not excuse the behavior in the least. But it is a reasonable explanation of not remembering, as an alternative reason to "it happened so often that it all blurs together."
Old 10-30-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he enjoyed dicks".
Old 10-30-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 566 Posts

Producers Guild of America Bans Harvey Weinstein for Life
By Dave McNary @Variety_DMcNary

The Producers Guild of America has banned disgraced studio mogul Harvey Weinstein for life from the trade organization.

The PGA’s move was announced on Monday afternoon and was widely expected. The organization said its National Board has voted unanimously to enact a lifetime ban on Weinstein, permanently barring him from PGA membership.

“As was recently reported, the Producers Guild’s National Board of Directors voted unanimously to initiate proceedings to terminate the membership of Harvey Weinstein,” the PGA said. “The PGA Constitution requires that members be given 15 days’ notice before disciplinary action is taken. The Guild has received notice that rather than addressing the Guild’s charges, Mr. Weinstein elected to resign his membership in the Producers Guild.”

“This unprecedented step is a reflection of the seriousness with which the Guild regards the numerous reports of Mr. Weinstein’s decades of reprehensible conduct. Sexual harassment can no longer be tolerated in our industry or within the ranks of Producers Guild membership,” it added. “As stated previously, the PGA’s Officers and National Board of Directors have created the Anti-Sexual Harassment Task Force specifically charged with researching and proposing substantive and effective solutions to combat sexual harassment in the entertainment industry.”

The vote underlines how rapidly Weinstein — accused of assaulting and harassing multiple women — has descended from power player to pariah status in Hollywood in less than two weeks.
Old 10-30-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he enjoyed dicks".
Between Spacey and Brian Singer the set of The Usual Suspects must have been like Caligula.
Old 10-30-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Between Spacey and Brian Singer the set of The Usual Suspects must have been like Caligula.
Old 10-30-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,965 Posts

I hope that means Malcolm McDowell had his hand up Stephen Baldwin's ass.
Old 10-30-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thread should be titled: Weinstein/Sexual Harassment/Assault in Hollywood
Old 10-30-17, 09:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
In fairness to Spacey, this seems somewhat speculative. I think Spacey is claiming he doesn't remember because he was intoxicated that night. Rapp said it was after a "party".
A lot of people get intoxicated, but only a select few hit on 14 year olds.
Old 10-30-17, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

This has become of my favorite YouTube channels recently.

NSFW due to profanity.

Old 10-30-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

http://defamer.gawker.com/people-kee...ive-1686507320

Lots of stories about Spacey being pervy.
Old 10-30-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
A lot of people get intoxicated, but only a select few hit on 14 year olds.
I'm just going to bow out of this discussion, because any semblance of objectivity is dead on the internet and I have to keep reminding myself of that. Carry on.
Old 10-31-17, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,464 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Thread should be titled: Weinstein/Sexual Harassment/Assault in Hollywood
... and Broadway.
Old 10-31-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm just going to bow out of this discussion, because any semblance of objectivity is dead on the internet and I have to keep reminding myself of that. Carry on.
Well given that you seem to be excusing pedophilia due to potential intoxication, maybe that's for the best.
Old 10-31-17, 09:09 AM

Received 4,728 Likes on 3,204 Posts

Andy Dick Fired From Movie Over Sexual Harassment Claims
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ram...2?facebook1031
Old 10-31-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And to be clear, being drunk does not excuse the behavior in the least. But it is a reasonable explanation of not remembering, as an alternative reason to "it happened so often that it all blurs together."
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well given that you seem to be excusing pedophilia due to potential intoxication, maybe that's for the best.
I'm not sure how I could have been more clear, but I bolded it this time just to be sure you wouldn't miss it.

Apparently I need to explain further: Groucho's extrapolation struck a nerve for me. Regardless of the type of behavior, when people throw objectivity out the window and extrapolate and speculate about those accused, it has the potential to ultimately hurt the victims of those types of behavior. It's all the more important to be objective when the behavior is as monstrous as pedophilia, sexual assault, murder, etc.

Think of it this way - if speculation paints Spacey as a rampant pedophile who touches young boys every weekend and then nothing else comes to light or a couple of other accusers come forward and then get discredited because because they were just riding that narrative to try and get money - where does that leave Anthony Rapp? It makes people start to question his accusation and it devalues what was perhaps the most confusing and painful experience of his life and the the ugliest drunken act Spacey has ever made for which he should be held to full account.

Last edited by kefrank; 10-31-17 at 10:02 AM. Reason: further explanation
Old 10-31-17, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Not Andy Dick! Of all of Hollywood's A-List stars I thought he was the one most beyond reproach.
Old 10-31-17, 09:44 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Regarding Feldman and the pedo thing. The writing has been on the wall forever. People just chose not to see it. There was a popular club in LA in the '80s called Alphy's Soda Pop Club. It was an 18 and under club. I've never needed to know more than that. It was a pedophile front.
Old 10-31-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,048 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Regarding Feldman and the pedo thing. The writing has been on the wall forever. People just chose not to see it. There was a popular club in LA in the '80s called Alphy's Soda Pop Club. It was an 18 and under club. I've never needed to know more than that. It was a pedophile front.
To make it worse, it was actually 16 and under.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4...-0000193-v19n4

My biggest take away is apparently Corey Haim was really good friends with Scott Grimes, and it's definitely suggested that Alphy Hoffman was/is a piece of shit.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-31-17 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-31-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I think the real story here is Andy Dick is still able to find work?
Old 10-31-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how I could have been more clear, but I bolded it this time just to be sure you wouldn't miss it.
"But it is a reasonable explanation of not remembering"

No, it is not. Claiming that you were so drunk that you don't remember trying to rape a child does not compute.
Old 10-31-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Defiant1
"But it is a reasonable explanation of not remembering"

No, it is not. Claiming that you were so drunk that you don't remember trying to rape a child does not compute.
Maybe not, but see my further explanation in my previous post.
Old 10-31-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

An arrest warrant has been issues for Rose McGowan for leaving drugs in an airport.

She claims this is part of a "conspiracy to silence her".
Old 10-31-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
An arrest warrant has been issues for Rose McGowan for leaving drugs in an airport.

She claims this is part of a "conspiracy to silence her".
Is it a crime to leave drugs in an airport? At that point, she's no longer in possession of them.
Old 10-31-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

Kevin Spacey slammed by Rosie O'Donnell: Comedian claims 'we all knew'.

Rosie O'Donnell has come out swinging against fellow actor Kevin Spacey, likening him to disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein and tweeting that "we all knew" about the "House of Cards" star's alleged behavior. Her statements came after former child actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of trying to seduce him when he was 14.

Rapp, best known for starring in "Rent," said in an interview on Sunday that he was a teenager when Spacey made a sexual advance toward him and pushed him down on a bed.'Spacey responded to the allegations, saying he does not remember the purported encounter.

O'Donnell tweeted to Spacey on Monday, "u don't remember the incident - 30 years ago? - f--k u kevin - like Harvey we all knew about u - I hope more men come forward."

Comedian Wanda Sykes, who is a lesbian and outspoken member of the LGBT community, also sounded off on Spacey on Twitter early Monday saying that he can’t “choose’ to hide under the rainbow.”

Spacey also came out as gay in his apology after being accused by Rapp. Spacey's response to Rapp read, "But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years."

Spacey said he has had relationships with both men and women throughout his life and chooses “now to live as a gay man.” The criticism against Spacey was widespread.

Frank Rich, a writer for New York magazine and executive producer for "Veep," tweeted, "This is changing the subject. Rapp's charge is pedophilia."

Rapp'told Buzzfeed News'that in 1986, Spacey, a fellow Broadway actor at the time, invited Rapp to his apartment for a party. Later in the evening, Spacey, then 26, allegedly “picked Rapp up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him, making a sexual advance,” according to the report.

Rapp said he pushed Spacey off of him, went to a bathroom and closed the door, thinking: “What is happening?” He told Spacey he had to go home, to which Spacey allegedly asked if Rapp was “sure” he wanted to do that.

Rapp, who came forward less than a month after accusations against mega-producer Harvey Weinstein led to his Hollywood downfall, said he decided to speak out “not to simply air a grievance … but to try to shine another light on the decades of behavior that have been allowed to continue because many people, including myself, being silent.”

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...r-rainbow.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.