Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Well there are different kinds of gay bars, some where that sort of thing is much less likely. But if you go to a leather bar on a weekend night ... yeah, you should expect to get groped. (Obviously the amount of groping you receive is directly proportional to your hotness).
Well, I'm safe then!

Your description of gay bar behavior is similar to what I recall about what Spacey was accused of a couple of years ago. He took a hot young gay guy that he knew to a gay bar and groped him. It just didn't seem out of bounds to me. I don't know how consent works in those spaces, but I understand that it's not like what most of us are used to.
Old 06-16-22, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

(Obviously the amount of groping you receive is directly proportional to your hotness).
Thanks...I think the only way I would be groped would be accidentally by a blind man with Parkinson's.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (06-19-22)
Old 06-16-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Your description of gay bar behavior is similar to what I recall about what Spacey was accused of a couple of years ago. He took a hot young gay guy that he knew to a gay bar and groped him. It just didn't seem out of bounds to me. I don't know how consent works in those spaces, but I understand that it's not like what most of us are used to.
Yeah, maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I kind of think that straight people shouldn't be judging (or jurying) gay sex crimes. There's just a lot of nuances in gay culture that they don't understand.
Old 06-19-22, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/p...aa5dee56334940

Paul Haggis arrested in Italy for an alleged rape charge

Old 06-19-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Kick him out of the Academy and retroactively give his Oscar to Brokeback Mountain!
Old 06-19-22, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

He should have been arrested years ago for directing Crash.
Old 06-19-22, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Yeah, maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I kind of think that straight people shouldn't be judging (or jurying) gay sex crimes. There's just a lot of nuances in gay culture that they don't understand.
So you are basically saying you have different rules????

Gotcha.

Old 06-19-22, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/p...aa5dee56334940

Paul Haggis arrested in Italy for an alleged rape charge
Scientology revenge for him leaving the church cult.
Old 06-19-22, 09:21 PM

This is a complaint from another man about Spacey's behavior towards him. Should we not take him at his word because there are "nuances" when it comes to gay culture? That doesn't seem right to me.
Old 06-19-22, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

It was a crime and maybe homophobia Brokeback did not win the best picture just like how Goodfellas lost to Dances with Wolves
Old 06-19-22, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Kick him out of the Academy and retroactively give his Oscar to Brokeback Mountain!
That wasn't worthy of an OSCAR either. That year was weak anyway.
Old 06-20-22, 08:08 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This isn't the first time Haggis has run into trouble.

This post is from 2018.

Originally Posted by Brian T
First big perp of the new year?

Women accuse Canadian director Paul Haggis of sexual assault, rape
https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ault-rape.html
Old 06-20-22, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That wasn't worthy of an OSCAR either. That year was weak anyway.

Capote with Seymour Hoffman, Munich, and Good Night and Good Luck were the other nominees though maybe they all had artistic merit but not movies you would revisit and watch again.

It does not matter if you are gay or straight but I think Brokeback was the most watchable or the one movie you could revisit and watch again,
Old 06-20-22, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

This is a complaint from another man about Spacey's behavior towards him. Should we not take him at his word because there are "nuances" when it comes to gay culture? That doesn't seem right to me.
it’s the equivalent of saying you can’t rape a sex worker.
Old 06-20-22, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

No, I'm not saying don't believe him at all. Take that older example of Spacey drama in the US... it was something like "He brought me to the gay bar, bought me a number of drinks, and then grabbed my ass a couple times". And THAT is something you are going to get the police involved with? Really? That only happens in the gay world when the defendant is rich.
Old 06-29-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I know he's a singer, but he did write and produce some songs for a few movie soundtracks.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/r-kelly...ng-1235054299/

I'm sure most of you already heard this by now, but R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in prison for sex trafficking and racketeering. Deserves every year. The guy is a fucked up child predator.

I was once a fan of his work. But, his criminal acts started making news years ago, I sold/donated every CD I owned of his.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-29-22 at 09:28 PM.
John Pannozzi (07-14-22)
Old 06-29-22, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Can a Mod move that in the correct “My not-so-close friend smells like urine” thread, please.
Deftones (06-29-22)
Old 06-29-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know he's a singer, but he did write and produce some songs for a few movie soundtracks.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/r-kelly...ng-1235054299/

I'm sure most of you already heard this by now, but R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in prison for sex trafficking and racketeering. Deserves every year. The guy is a fucked up child predator.

I was once a fan of his work. But, his criminal acts started making news years ago, I sold/donated every CD I owned of his.
I was going to post this this morning but I did a search and couldn't find a thread. Forgot about this catch-all thread. It'll probably get reduced on appeal. But ya never know.
Old 06-29-22, 11:03 PM

I believe he can fry.
John Pannozzi (07-14-22)
Old 07-13-22, 06:44 PM

Last week, reports circulated as photos of Armie Hammer surfaced on social media and in the tabloids. The photos in question appeared to showcase the actor — who was all but ousted from Hollywood after being hit with a series of sexual abuse allegations — working at a hotel resort in the Cayman Islands.

Initially, a flyer made the rounds on social media stating that Hammer was working as a hotel concierge. The hotel told various media outlets, including Variety, that Hammer was not on their staff. But then photos were published of Hammer appearing to be dressed in uniform, working at the resort.

Now, a source tells Variety that Hammer is indeed working selling timeshares at a hotel in the Caymans, and that all other reports suggesting otherwise are inaccurate.

“He is working at the resort and selling timeshares. He is working at a cubicle,” a source, who called Variety this week, explains. “The reality is he’s totally broke, and is trying to fill the days and earn money to support his family.”

This individual, who asked to remain anonymous, says that prior to working as a timeshare salesman, Hammer was managing an apartment complex in the Cayman Islands. He is living there so he can be near his two young children who have been residing in the Caymans with his ex-wife, TV host and entrepreneur Elizabeth Chambers. A source previously told Variety that Hammer had also spent time in recovery at a treatment facility after his career downfall.

Hammer — who starred in “The Social Network,” “Call Me By Your Name” and most recently, Disney’s “Death on the Nile” — is the great-grandson of oil tycoon Armand Hammer. Despite his family lineage, the source explains that he is not on the family payroll, and needs to work a normal and respectable job to earn money, since he is not getting work in Hollywood. Last year, after he was accused online of sexual abuse and improper behavior by numerous women, Hammer was dropped by his agency, WME, and was fired from a plethora of projects, including Jennifer Lopez’s “Shotgun Wedding,” the thriller “Billion Dollar Spy,” the Broadway play, “The Minutes” and the Paramount Plus series “The Offer,” in which Miles Teller took over his role.

Last week, rumors began when a flyer made the rounds on social media, depicting Hammer as a concierge employed at Morritt’s Resort in Grand Cayman. The flyer, which was shared (and later deleted) by the verified Twitter account of Muna Mire, a producer on Showtime’s “Desus & Mero,” included a photo of the actor.

At that time, Variety reported that Hammer was not working as a hotel concierge when an employee at the resort said that the flyer boiled down to a prank: Hammer was a guest of the hotel and had just been golfing with some of the hotel staff with whom he had become friendly. The hotel employee told Variety that the staff Hammer was golfing with made the flyer and sent it to a few rooms at the resort to try to see what sort of attention it might get. “I could only dream of this sort of publicity,” the hotel staffer said on the phone one week ago. When reached for comment at that time, Hammer’s attorney, Andrew Brettler, also said that the flyer was fake.

Then, when photos of Hammer working as a timeshare salesman surfaced on TMZ over this past weekend, an employee at the Morritt’s Resort was adamant that Hammer is not employed at the resort, though they indicated that he “hangs around” the location sometimes.

Now, this source says that the hotel was trying to protect Hammer — who is, in fact, working a job selling timeshares.

In early 2021, screenshots of messages from women began to surface on social media, appearing to depict Hammer as having cannibalistic fetishes. What started out as a punchline snowballed into a media firestorm that didn’t die down — particularly as more serious allegations came forth, including a rape accusation from a woman who came forward with her attorney Gloria Allred, which led to an LAPD investigation that has since concluded.

Hammer, who was married at the time of many of the alleged incidents, has strongly denied the rape claim and all other accusations, stating that any interactions with any women were consensual. In an effort to discredit the allegations, his legal team provided the media with text messages with the woman who accused him of rape. Despite his denial, Hammer’s public reputation was severely damaged.

Hammer was last seen in Disney’s “Death on the Nile” earlier this year, but did not do any press for that film, which completed production before his scandal exploded. Hammer has no other projects lined up.

Editor’s Note: This story was originally published on July 6 and was updated on July 13 with new information.
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/a...ns-1235310475/
Old 07-13-22, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was a practical joke and that story was not accurate
Old 07-13-22, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I think it was a practical joke and that story was not accurate
Read the article. It’s confirmed.
Old 07-13-22, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Maybe he should work for the Winklevoss'. Sucks that he can't be left alone to make ends meet since being blackballed from the industry. Surprised NO ONE would hire him, but then again, I don't recall his acting being all that outstanding to begin with.

As for R. Kelly.. I'm sure he'll see nothing wrong with a little bump n' grind in prison.
John Pannozzi (07-14-22)
Old 07-13-22, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Wow from starring in a movie with Gal Gadot to working at a hotel. How the mighty have fallen. I have to give him credit for at least trying to work if this rumor is true.
John Pannozzi (07-14-22)
Old 07-13-22, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems odd to me. I know Hammer was stuck in the Caymans during the pandemic but aside from making millions off his past film roles, the guy comes from Money. I’m not sure how hard up he is that he needs to be hawking time shares. I wonder if he was just working there to stave off boredom.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.