Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
While not "Hollywood":

Audio Tapes Reveal Plácido Domingo Linked to the Criminal Sect in Villa Crespo - OperaWire
Plácido Domingo is being linked to a criminal sect in Villa Crespo called “Escuela de Yoga,” an organization that was involved in human trafficking, sexual exploitation, and other crimes in Argentina.
I'm sure there's a link to them somewhere.

Took them a few years.... I'm guessing Google will add their "context " warning to all his Youtube videos and start restricting searches...
Old 08-22-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I'm sure there's a link to them somewhere.

Took them a few years.... I'm guessing Google will add their "context " warning to all his Youtube videos and start restricting searches...
Actually, I had no idea he'd acted in some things so it fits :P

Plácido Domingo - IMDb
Old 08-22-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Do yourself a favor and watch The Buddy Holly Story. Not only is Busey not lip-synching to a pro musician (like Lou Diamond Phillips was to Los Lobos in La Bamba), but he's performing the songs live. Playing guitar too.

and there's always The Gumball Rally if you're a car enthusiast.
Buddy Holly story is one of my all time favorites and he did a great job in it. Long, long time ago.
Old 08-25-22, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Devin Ratray, 'Home Alone' actor, under investigation for alleged rape - CNN

Authorities in New York City are investigating a rape allegation against actor Devin Ratray, who's best known for his role as the big brother in the "Home Alone" movies, CNN has learned.

Ratray, who denied the allegation in a phone call with CNN, is currently facing domestic violence charges stemming from an unrelated incident in Oklahoma last December involving his then-girlfriend. He has pleaded not guilty in that case and has an upcoming hearing set for October.

It was the news of Ratray's arrest in Oklahoma that prompted Lisa Smith to contact prosecutors about a police report she had filed in 2017, accusing the actor of raping her in New York City. She wanted to know why her case hadn't been pursued. Prosecutors, she said, incorrectly believed she wanted to remain anonymous and didn't want to press charges. As a result, the case was closed, she said she was told.

Smith, who also contacted CNN, said she was "devastated" that authorities failed to fully investigate her allegation when she initially came forward. She provided emails that suggest the case was closed even though she had taken steps to cooperate with the investigation, traveling from out of state to be interviewed by investigators at the Manhattan District Attorney's Office and later providing a garment she wore on the night of the alleged assault for possible DNA testing.

Smith told CNN she had been friends with the actor for about 15 years before the alleged assault on September 21, 2017. On that night, she said, she met her brother, another friend and Ratray at a bar in New York City. The group later went to Ratray's Manhattan apartment for another drink.

Ratray poured drinks for his friends, Smith said, but he seemed intent on giving her a specific glass. Shortly after drinking the beverage, Smith said she became exhausted and Ratray encouraged her to stay over and sleep on his couch.
She said she believes she was drugged.

"I remember waking up and I couldn't move. I couldn't really open my eyes, but I could hear what was happening and I could feel what was happening. I knew that the other two people were gone and I was still on the couch," Smith said.
Ratray sexually assaulted her for what felt like "an eternity," she alleged.

Eventually he left her alone on the couch. It was some time around 2 p.m. the next day, she said, when Smith was able to move enough to throw her clothes on and get out of the apartment, she said.
Old 08-25-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Is this thread supposed to be a discussion of systemic problems in Hollywood with regard to the treatment of women or a police blotter for anyone with an IMDb page?
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (08-25-22)
Old 08-25-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Is this thread supposed to be a discussion of systemic problems in Hollywood with regard to the treatment of women or a police blotter for anyone with an IMDb page?
I guess both, but I'd say it should only be for the systemic problems in Hollywood. Actors are people and of course some of them will harrass, assault and abuse in their private lifes, but that has nothing to do with people like Weinstein or pressuring actresses into nudity. Frank Langella touching an actress in an unwanted way is something to be discussed in this thread, Armie Hammer having affairs and cannibal fantasies shouldn't.
John Pannozzi (08-26-22)
Old 08-25-22, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Weinstein:

New York's highest court agrees to hear appeal to overturn 2020 sex crime convictions - CNN

(CNN)New York's highest court has agreed to hear disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein's appeal challenging his 2020 conviction on sex crime charges, according to a copy of the court filing provided by Weinstein's team.

Appeals Chief Judge Janet DiFiore's ruling will allow Weinstein's lawyers to argue their case before the court, more than two years after he was convicted of first-degree criminal sexual act and third-degree rape charges and sentenced to 23 years in prison.

The judge on August 19 signed the certificate to grant leave, which stated that "questions of law are involved which ought to be reviewed by the Court of Appeals."The allegations against the once-powerful movie producer fueled the global #MeToo movement and encouraged women to speak out against sexual abuse. His sentencing in New York garnered praise from prosecutors and leaders of the movement.Weinstein has maintained his innocence and denied all allegations against him since they first emerged. In a motion filed last year, his attorneys argued Weinstein's conviction should be reversed because his trial was tainted for several reasons, most notably a biased judge and juror.
Old 09-02-22, 11:54 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not just male celebrities who are being MeTooed, as now Tiffany Haddish and Aries Spears are accused of sexually abusing two children during the making of an online comedy sketch:

Comedians Tiffany Haddish, Aries Spears accused of sexually exploiting minors (msn.com)
Old 09-03-22, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
‘Scrubs’ Co-EP Eric Weinberg Arrested for Alleged Sexual Assault
Weinberg was arrested Thursday and held on $3.225 million bail for multiple alleged incidents, according to the LAPD.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...lt-1235180930/
Originally Posted by slop101
This is what constitutes a celebrity now?
Someone who's claim to "fame" was a show that's been off the air for almost 15 year that he worked off-camera for?
They may as well report about some upper-management peon at a random corporation who does this shit.
Originally Posted by Decker
He's been nominated for five Emmy Awards. Article is from The Hollywood Reporter. I think it qualifies for this thread on Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood.
And now the rest of the story. It's a long read, and he certainly seems to live up to that headline:

Is Eric Weinberg Hollywood’s Most Prolific Predator?
Last month, police arrested the 'Scrubs' and 'Californication' writer-producer on 20 charges of sexual assault, including rape. Speaking publicly for the first time, his alleged victims share their stories and reveal how they came together to seek justice: "He’s taken everything he’s allowed to take from me."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/eric-weinberg-alleged-victims-speak-out-sexual-assault-1235209912/

Last edited by Brian T; 09-03-22 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

^. You might want to fix your link there.
Old 09-03-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Here's the link Brian T meant to post:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...lt-1235209912/

How is this guy allowed to run free after years of this kind of behavior? Our criminal justice system is completely fucked when it comes to this kind of offender.
Old 09-03-22, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Here's the link Brian T meant to post:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...lt-1235209912/

How is this guy allowed to run free after years of this kind of behavior? Our criminal justice system is completely fucked when it comes to this kind of offender.
Weinberg initially approached Anderson, then a 29-year-old storyboard artist, in the parking lot of a Ralphs [grocery store] in North Hollywood. The then-58-year-old introduced himself as a writer-producer for the hit show Scrubs, in addition to being an amateur photographer. She recalls that he asked if she modeled and would like to shoot with him.

Anderson went to Weinberg’s Los Feliz home for the shoot. A stand-up comedian as well, she brought some silly props along with her, including a “realistic bird head.” “I told him exactly what I wanted and what I didn’t want,” she says. “But he had other things in mind.”

The shoot began, she says, in a room that appeared to belong to a child, where Weinberg instructed her to disrobe and pose on top of a bed. While photographing her on the bed, Weinberg began “adjusting” Anderson’s breasts, she says.
I am not at all suggesting that this mitigates his sexual assault actions in any way; however, it is worth noting that this woman is an idiot.
Old 09-03-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
^. You might want to fix your link there.
Oops. Too much cutting/pasting last night. Fixed it anyway, despite the followup post.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I am not at all suggesting that this mitigates his sexual assault actions in any way; however, it is worth noting that this woman is an idiot.
Not sure I'd go quite that far, but it does seem like he targeted women who were easily convinced by his credentials and 'portfolio' despite its obviously racy content. The fact that it seemingly worked so often is rather distressing in this day and age. Then again, it's Hollywood, where there never seems to be a shortage of genuinely naive people willing to take risks for potential career advancement. Seems like the larger picture only emerged after a number of the women crossed paths online or by phone, and by then who knows how many others he had similarly taken advantage of. That creepy list of his would indicate there will be other victims going public at some point.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-03-22 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure I'd go quite that far, but it does seem like he targeted women who were easily convinced by his credentials and 'portfolio' despite its obviously racy content. The fact that it seemingly worked so often is rather distressing in this day and age. Then again, it's Hollywood, where there never seems to be a shortage of genuinely naive people willing to take risks for potential career advancement. Seems like the larger picture only emerged after a number of the women crossed paths online or by phone, and by then who knows how many others he had similarly taken advantage of. That creepy list of his would indicate there will be other victims going public at some point.
Nah, it's okay to just admit that if she had a brain in her head she would gotten away from him as quickly as possible when he approached her a in a parking lot about posing for amateur modeling photographs.

This happened in 2019, not 1979. And she was 29, not 19.
Old 09-03-22, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
It's not just male celebrities who are being MeTooed, as now Tiffany Haddish and Aries Spears are accused of sexually abusing two children during the making of an online comedy sketch:

Comedians Tiffany Haddish, Aries Spears accused of sexually exploiting minors (msn.com)
I find it funny and ironic how Aries Spears recently came out of hiding and created a controversial mess with Lizzo. And now this unfolded.
Old 09-03-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Oops. Too much cutting/pasting last night. Fixed it anyway, despite the followup post.

Also, he must have hit on dozens (hundreds?) more who simply told him to get lost and got away from him quickly when he first approached them. Although a creep like that can probably sense when someone's vulnerable to his particular pitch and knows when and how to persist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ash Ketchum:
Brian T (09-05-22), Hazel Motes (09-03-22)
Old 09-03-22, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi

Here is the disturbing video:

Old 09-03-22, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

How did they think that would be funny?
Old 09-04-22, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's unfunny and very cringe to watch and considering that video was edited by that YouTuber. He said the unedited version is out there, damn wtf was Spears and Haddish thinking?!? PSA? There is nothing comedic about child abuse. Surely they could have done a tamed PSA without the pedo vibes. Sheesh.
Norm de Plume (09-04-22)
Old 09-04-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Doesn't legal check these things? As a normal process for ALL content?
Old 09-04-22, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That looked like they did that on their own. Probably didn’t have “Legal”

Last edited by whotony; 09-04-22 at 01:02 PM.
majorjoe23 (09-05-22)
Old 09-04-22, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Then they should really need to rethink when doing anything with kids. They can easily have someone else look at it and double-check. An agent or something.
John Pannozzi (09-04-22)
Old 09-04-22, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This video was 9 years ago so probably wasn’t thinking about it that stuff
Old 09-25-22, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think this is sexual harassment, assault, or abuse, but this seems like the best thread to put this.

Charlize Theron says male director made her do multiple costume fittings to look more fuckable.

I've seen this pop up in several links in Google News, but here's the Entertainment Weekly link:

https://ew.com/movies/charlize-thero...ttings-f-able/

So nothing about this is a surprise to anyone, right? What I can't not wonder about is why she does not say who it was.
Old 09-25-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

So, part of what she is saying seems to be that actors should be able to choose their costuming. Isn't having to wear a specific costume just part of acting?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.