Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 536 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

I was called to meet Harvey Weinstein at the Savoy Hotel when I was 17. I assumed it would be in a conference room which was very common.When I arrived ,reception told me to go to his room . He opened the door in his bathrobe . I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older ,unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him .After declining alcohol and announcing that I had school in the morning I left ,uneasy but unscathed.A few years later he asked me if he had tried anything with me in that first meeting .I realized he couldn't remember if he had assaulted me or not .I had what I thought were boundaries - I said no to him professionally many times over the years-some of which ended up with him screaming at me calling me a **** and making threats, some of which made him laughingly tell people oh "Kate lives to say no to me ." It speaks to the status quo in this business that I was aware that standing up for myself and saying no to things,while it did allow me to feel uncompromised in myself,undoubtedly harmed my career and was never something I felt supported by anyone other than my family.I would like to applaud the women who have come forward , and to pledge that we can from this create a new paradigm where producers,managers,executives and assistants and everyone who has in the past shrugged and said " well, that's just Harvey /Mr X/insert name here " will realize that we in numbers can affect real change.For every moment like this there have been thousands where a vulnerable person has confided outrageous unprofessional behavior and found they have no recourse, due to an atmosphere of fear that it seems almost everyone has been living in .I had a male friend who, based on my experience,warned a young actress who said she was going to dinner with Harvey to be careful. He received a phone call the next day saying he would never work in another Miramax film ;the girl was already sleeping with Harvey and had told him that my friend had warned her off.Let's stop allowing our young women to be sexual cannon fodder,and let's remember that Harvey is an emblem of a system that is sick,and that we have work to do.

A post shared by Kate Beckinsale (@katebeckinsale) on <time style=" font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px;" datetime="2017-10-12T13:02:50+00:00">Oct 12, 2017 at 6:02am PDT</time>

<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>
Old 10-12-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,966 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

I like that Beckinsale called out the sickness in the system, but we still don't really have people outing other executives who have done similar things; in fact the only other casualty so far is Ben Affleck, mainly because he responded and Rose called him out.
Old 10-12-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yikes. Lots of a-list talent. You have to wonder how many nobodies this happened to. Was it a daily thing for Harvey?
Old 10-12-17, 11:21 AM

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Was it a daily thing for Harvey?

I'd say clearly, yes.
Old 10-12-17, 11:30 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Ouch.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Michael Eisner is the biggest fucking doofus. Why put your foot in your mouth? Why comment? What a barney.
Old 10-12-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Maybe I'm living in a different world from you but unsolicited groping is never normal or acceptable, I don't care how "handsy" you get when you drink. But especially if you're in a position of power over someone else and/or the someone else is a minor.
I'm in that different world too, I guess. There are those pervs who will grope and blame it on drinking even if they're not drunk.
Old 10-12-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yikes. Lots of a-list talent. You have to wonder how many nobodies this happened to. Was it a daily thing for Harvey?
If he didn't remember doing it to Beckinsale that means he pretty much did it to every single young actress that came his way.
The sad thing is that artists are still not calling out by name other top guys that have done similar things.
Old 10-12-17, 11:42 AM
Banned

What did Seth do at the Oscars in 2013?
Old 10-12-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Harvey Weinstein was the producer of Emma and Shakespeare in Love? Did he ever produce any movie tht was a major commercial success or was it mostly crappy movies that sometimes received critical acclaim? Don't think I've ever heard of the guy before, but it seems most of his movies make very little money.
Old 10-12-17, 11:51 AM
Banned

He produced or executive produced The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love, Pulp Fiction, Mrs. Brown, Clerks, Good Will Hunting, The Thin Blue Line, Fahrenheit 9/11...

I could go on forever. He produced a bazillion Oscar winners. Some say he rigged the system to win those Oscars.

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-12-17 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Harvey Weinstein was the producer of Emma and Shakespeare in Love? Did he ever produce any movie tht was a major commercial success or was it mostly crappy movies that sometimes received critical acclaim? Don't think I've ever heard of the guy before, but it seems most of his movies make very little money.
Find it ironic that your username is "movieguru".

Harvey's name is attached to ALOT of films... most are artistic films, but there are a few bigger budget/Joe Sixpack type films:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005544/reference
Old 10-12-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 933 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Just made a joke about how female nominees would not longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey. Basically adding to the fact that everyone in the business seemed to already know.
Old 10-12-17, 12:10 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KCNvREKTnQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-12-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Pretty sure WB heavily advertising Justice League on twitter had nothing to do with twitter banning McGowan for calling out Affleck...
I take that back - looks like she was banned for posting someone's phone number.
Old 10-12-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

He produced or executive produced The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love, Pulp Fiction, Mrs. Brown, Clerks, Good Will Hunting, The Thin Blue Line, Fahrenheit 9/11...

I could go on forever. He produced a bazillion Oscar winners. Some say he rigged the system to win those Oscars.
So basically he produced a ton of movies that not very often grossed more than 100 million and maybe never $200 that were mostly crap and not many people have seen. I think we all discussed this in another thread, but "Best Picture" are usually just what a select group of people that have very little in common with the general movie audience think is a great movie. Often what is chosen is a box office failure or at least one that didn't gross very much. If a lot of people don't want to see a movie, it usually isn't very good. Granted some high grossing movies are crap too, but something that is chosen as "best picture" should have had some success at the box office.
Old 10-12-17, 01:04 PM

“My first American experience was almost my last because it was with the Weinsteins and Miramax. I have got to tell you, two horrible things happened in the late nineties, my father was kidnapped and I worked with the Weinsteins. I know which one was worse… the kidnapping made more sense, I knew what they wanted.”
- Guillermo del Toro

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/gui...ce-1201886601/
Old 10-12-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK...not to discredit anything but it almost seems like people just want attention now. Why did Del Toro have to speak up? Did Harvey ask him to watch him finish off into a potted plant? I'm guessing no. But here's my comment to get my name in the news again! Look everyone, I also don't like this guy!!
Old 10-12-17, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
OK...not to discredit anything but it almost seems like people just want attention now. Why did Del Toro have to speak up? Did Harvey ask him to watch him finish off into a potted plant? I'm guessing no. But here's my comment to get my name in the news again! Look everyone, I also don't like this guy!!
Because he's doing press for his current film and he got asked a question. EVERYONE in the industry is being asked about it because pretty much the entire industry has worked with him at one point.
Old 10-12-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, so it was just a question for at an event he already had planned. I thought he just decided to voice his opinion out of nowhere.
Old 10-12-17, 01:13 PM

Ah, so it was just a question for at an event he already had planned. I thought he just decided to voice his opinion out of nowhere.
Correct. But I do agree with your saying about some seeking attention. Like this piece from Claire Forlani: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-times-1048143
Old 10-12-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
So basically he produced a ton of movies that not very often grossed more than 100 million and maybe never $200 that were mostly crap and not many people have seen. I think we all discussed this in another thread, but "Best Picture" are usually just what a select group of people that have very little in common with the general movie audience think is a great movie. Often what is chosen is a box office failure or at least one that didn't gross very much. If a lot of people don't want to see a movie, it usually isn't very good. Granted some high grossing movies are crap too, but something that is chosen as "best picture" should have had some success at the box office.
wow you should change your username to 'MichaelBay" or "blockbusters".
Old 10-12-17, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

Why do you think she's "seeking attention" and not just sharing her experiences like everyone else?
Old 10-12-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Why do you think she's "seeking attention" and not just sharing her experiences like everyone else?
She? lol
Old 10-12-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Correct. But I do agree with your saying about some seeking attention. Like this piece from Claire Forlani: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-times-1048143
Originally Posted by Dan
She? lol
Claire Forlani
Old 10-12-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I thought that was in reply to my comment about Del Toro.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.