Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name the Top 5 Best and Top 5 Worst Stephen King adaptations.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Name the Top 5 Best and Top 5 Worst Stephen King adaptations.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,356 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Name the Top 5 Best and Top 5 Worst Stephen King adaptations.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I mildly enjoyed Needful Things as a movie but it's a pale imitation of the far superior book. That book just wasn't built for a theatrical feature. The dense story and town of characters would have worked better as a mini-series or season. Max von Sydow was very good in it, however.
Isn't there a longer cut of the movie that plays much better? It seems to me I saw it in TNT or WGN a long time ago.

I think that and The Regulators were the last SK books that I loved. I am still holding out for a psychedelic f**ked up film version of The Regulators.
Old 09-16-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,356 Likes on 928 Posts

I have to admit that it seems I have either seen the movie or read the book, but not both for many of King's adapted works. Based on that I'm not going to cast my full ballot. Instead I am going to throw all five of my "worst adaptation" votes to just one movie ...

How the f@&k has nobody mentioned The Dark Tower for worst adaptation!?
Old 09-17-17, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

Probably because almost nobody saw The Dark Tower! 😏

I really enjoyed IT, way more than the hugely overrated Tv version. It might just make my King top five but need to see it again... the vast majority of King adaptations are terrible, imho. I still count seeing Stephen King's Sleepwalkers in the theatre as one of the worst movie experiences of my life - pppphew!
Old 09-18-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 940 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Isn't there a longer cut of the movie that plays much better? It seems to me I saw it in TNT or WGN a long time ago.

I think that and The Regulators were the last SK books that I loved. I am still holding out for a psychedelic f**ked up film version of The Regulators.
I think there is a longer cut, though I am not sure how much better it is than the regular theatrical cut.
Old 09-18-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
It may have been the men's magazine version I read. I remember reading Monkey Shines and The Raft in a men's magazine. They were smaller inserts in the middle of the magazine with their own cover that could be removed and kept. Can't remember if The Mist was removable insert. I think it was around 1989-90 when I read it.
I read it in Skeleton Crew, the one with the monkey on the cover, and it ends with the lumbering creature, and they head out into the unknown. I'm going to try and hunt down that Dark Forces collection.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Where's the love for Green Mile? Excellent cast and wonderfully faithful adaptation.
It was a good movie but seeing it once was enough for me. I don't like the King stories when there's such cookie-cutter "villains." Makes it feel less believable. In The Dome you got Big Jim, in the Green Mile you got Percy. It's too black and white, good vs bad.

Wasn't the original Green Mile sold as paper back installments? Part one, part two and so on?
Old 09-18-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts

Looks like there is a 25th anniversary release of Dark Forces, which is where The Mist was originally published. Wiki says the version in Skeleton Crew is edited, so it might be worth checking out. $5 for the Nook or Kindle versions.

Originally Posted by brayzie
Wasn't the original Green Mile sold as paper back installments? Part one, part two and so on?

Not only was it published in a serial format(monthly), King wrote it as it was being released. So he was theoretically writing the second part as the first part was being released and had no idea where the story would take him each month.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-18-17 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That's pretty cool. I didn't really know about him till about the early 90s, but it must have been something to follow him as a writer since the beginning. He had the whole Richard Bachman alias, The Green Mile as a serial format, and he did the e-book/story thing really early on.
Old 09-19-17, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, the Best Stephen King adaption was The recently released "IT Movie".

Source: whereyouwatch[dot]com/movies/it/

Last edited by Tom Riddle; 09-19-17 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-19-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Riddle
For me the Best Stephen King adaption is The "IT Movie" 2017.

Source: whereyouwatch[dot]com/movies/it/

[dot] = .
M-O-O-N, that spells "spammer."
Old 09-19-17, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts

Well played.