Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
But sure, people can "evolve" but I guess I think she's full of it.
She may very well be full of it regarding the character but she may have a point as far as the message in this latest movie. I’m not going to make any conclusions about The Joker’s message until I see it but I would have some reservations about it if it does in fact sympathize with his motivations for becoming a psychotic killer for all the reasons Antos mentions above.

I don’t necessarily believe movies make people violent, and I’ve argued that in the past but we live in some weird times right now. Times where some mentally unstable people are waiting, just itching, for permission from ANYONE to kill people. They just need that push and filmmakers/writers/politicians etc. need to be responsible on the messages they put out there right now.

If i’m going to wag my finger at Trump for validating the El Paso shooter’s decision, I also need to wag my finger at anyone in Hollywood who might do the same thing.
Old 09-07-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Eh I just don’t like how everyone is fixated on attacking people for their evolving ideas. This forum is pretty much an archive of my thoughts. And it could be dissected endlessly.
Old 09-07-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
She may very well be full of it regarding the character but she may have a point as far as the message in this latest movie. I’m not going to make any conclusions about The Joker’s message until I see it but I would have some reservations about it if it does in fact sympathize with his motivations for becoming a psychotic killer for all the reasons Antos mentions above.

But Antos’ criticism can be applied to any film that romanticizes or glorifies villainous/criminal lead characters. Is she going to have that same energy for other films, or only ones that she thinks will inspire white incels?

I don’t necessarily believe movies make people violent, and I’ve argued that in the past but we live in some weird times right now. Times where some mentally unstable people are waiting, just itching, for permission from ANYONE to kill people.
I think it’s too simplistic to say “movies make people violent.” But like all media, they influence society.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Eh I just don’t like how everyone is fixated on attacking people for their evolving ideas. This forum is pretty much an archive of my thoughts. And it could be dissected endlessly.
It’s because sometimes people in the public eye are disingenuous, have an agenda or are just hypocrites. Some like to criticize something popular if it gets them views, clicks or likes. Antos is trying to back up her initial tweet that the Joker film will inspire mass shooters by saying that the Aurora shooter “literally dressed up as the Joker” when that never happened. The shooter dyed his hair orange and wore tactical gear.
And there wasn’t any film at the time making the Joker a tragic or sympathetic character.

Incidentally, I found out Valiant Comics is still a thing after reading Antos' tweet.

Last edited by brayzie; 09-07-19 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Are you serious? We all have that side of us in Travis Bickle.
Yikes.
Old 09-07-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yikes. Weird thread.

This won the Golden Lion / top prize at Venice:

https://deadline.com/2019/09/joker-v...on-1202728733/

Here's a picture of the director of Hangover III and Due Date accepting the award with Pheonix:

Old 09-07-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Interesting article.

https://www.cbr.com/joker-movie-backlash-explained/
Old 09-07-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yikes. Weird thread.

Here's a picture of the director of Hangover III and Due Date accepting the award with Pheonix:
The last couple trailers made it look like it was alluding to Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy too much. But that's crazy if it's getting this kind of praise.

Old 09-07-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Through this lens, Joker becomes a cautionary tale to rational viewers. No rational person would be motivated by watching the film to commit crimes. However, it's important to remember that incels are not rational.​​​​​​
Even the cautionary tale gets lost when you make the bad guy look cool. DePalma's Scarface had a message that the main character's actions were ultimately destructive to himself and everyone around him. Yet, the character of Tony Montana was idolized by youth across the country and the studio capitalized on that for the DVDs re-release.
Old 09-07-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
But Antos’ criticism can be applied to any film that romanticizes or glorifies villainous/criminal lead characters. Is she going to have that same energy for other films, or only ones that she thinks will inspire white incels?
I guess you could make that argument for any villain but your generalizing a bit much. This is specifically referring to a villain who became a villain through being picked on, bullied, and being an outcast in a judgmental and cruel society.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 09-07-19 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I can see the criticisms, but at the same time people should be able to separate the messages from a film, tv show, video game, album, book, comic book, etc. from the reality they live in and be able to make rational decisions. Entertainment shouldn’t be a scapegoat for people with real life problems, mental or otherwise.
Old 09-07-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I guess you could make that argument for any villain but your generalizing a bit much. This is specifically referring to a villain who became a villain through being picked on, bullied, and being an outcast in a judgmental and cruel society.
But Antos is the one making that unintentionally making that argument.

Antos implied that the Aurora shooter was inspired merely by the character of the Joker to go on a shooting rampage in a theater showing The Dark Knight Rises. So not only is the upcoming Joker film that *might* feature the character as a sympathetic and tragic character problematic, apparently so is a film like The Dark Knight, which features the Joker in a completely unsympathetic light.
And how many of these mass shooters were white men who were bullied and picked on? Is it mental illness, or is it merely lonely "white boys" who can't get laid who we have to watch out for? Are there other factors involved? I think the problem with Twitter is that it's hard to properly discuss the issue with the character limit, concept of "likes", and the format in general.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I can see the criticisms, but at the same time people should be able to separate the messages from a film, tv show, video game, album, book, comic book, etc. from the reality they live in and be able to make rational decisions. Entertainment shouldn’t be a scapegoat for people with real life problems, mental or otherwise.
People in general are impressionable. People constantly make irrational or illogical decisions based on advertising and entertainment. Cigarettes are a health hazard but advertising and marketing are able to convince many rational adults to start or continue to smoke. I think Marvel stopped having Wolverine smoke cigarettes in comics at some point because of how it would influence children.
A lot of corporations don't give a fuck about any harmful effects on society, they just care about profits and their bottom line.
Old 09-07-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The difference between Dark Knight and this is that the Joker isn't the lead in the Dark Knight. You're not supposed to empathize with him. You also have a superhero good guy to root for.

I don't know why but I get a One Hour Photo vibe from this one.
Old 09-07-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Great but disturbing performance from Williams. Not sure why he didn't get more recognition, no Golden Globe or Oscar nomination.
Old 09-07-19, 09:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The difference between Dark Knight and this is that the Joker isn't the lead in the Dark Knight. You're not supposed to empathize with him.
I 100% agree; they go out of their way to make Joker a very bad person. And yet look how many people have quoted/meme'd the Joker's words from that film unironically. I have no doubt there are people who see him as the 'real hero' in the film.

Interesting! You may be right. That one came at a more innocent time for that kind of character study.
And again... I'm not sure if I already said this here... But I get the impression this Joker film WILL give the character some empathy while still showing how and why he's ultimately not a 'good person' to identify with, but I'm not convinced that two certain sub-sections of the audience will grasp this nuance; by which I mean, 1) those who will use his situation to justify their own hatred, and 2) those who will tear the movie apart for daring to show Joker any empathy at all.
And there will be a lot of both.
Old 09-08-19, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I think the big issue here isn't about the Joker as a character, but rather the way the character is being redefined and presented in this film.

Just because someone like Antos "loved" the Joker in 2013 doesn't invalidate her opinions because this movie just isn't a "Joker" movie, it's about a loser who lashes out against a society he feels wronged him, and it's having the Joker stuff tacked onto it.

The Joker is a pre-existing character with a lot of baggage (not the least of which is that the character seems to have already inspired one mass shooting by a crazed loner who identified with him), and it seems like the way this film is presenting both the idea of the Joker and the character who becomes him is something that could inspire a real life tragedy.

I think that his movie would have been better to just been about a guy who dresses up like a clown and not THE JOKER; combining all of these elements into a single movie seems like it could be a perfect storm.
Old 09-08-19, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yikes. Weird thread.

In relation to "Joker", I like to think of Todd Phillips as the director of this:

Old 09-08-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I watched King of Comedy yesterday -- it's on PRIME, and it was excellent. What a performance by Deniro. Jerry Lewis was great, too.
Old 09-09-19, 07:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Just saw a leaked clip.

Damn.

DAMN.

Edit: two clips. Double damn.

Last edited by Dan; 09-09-19 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I saw a tv spot this weekend and they edited out the smoking. How dumb.
Old 09-10-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan
Just saw a leaked clip.

Damn.

DAMN.

Edit: two clips. Double damn.
huh
Old 09-10-19, 10:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Well, I'm not going to spoil anything here. :P

And I think the clips have been pulled, so I can't link them.

They're something, I tell you what.
Old 09-10-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Holy crap. Just saw the clips. Yeah, that took a turn.
Old 09-10-19, 10:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Clips? Yes, clips are something. Yes they are.
Old 09-10-19, 10:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Holy crap. Just saw the clips. Yeah, that took a turn.
YEP. And I'd be fairly certain both are late-film too... one arguably being part of the climax...
Old 09-10-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait just saw the clips and its what i expected.

it looks awesome and that was epic

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.