Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Looks really good, not what I was expecting at all.
Old 04-03-19, 09:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 838 Posts

To quote someone I follow on twitter who has a locked account (so I can't just embed it):

"I feel like I watched the wrong JOKER trailer? The one I watched looked like a Funny or Die video about “What if Scorsese made a Joker movie?” directed by an intern who saw KING OF COMEDY for the first time six months ago."

I'm just not hyped for this at all... but we'll see how this pans out.
Old 04-03-19, 09:29 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
To quote someone I follow on twitter who has a locked account (so I can't just embed it):

"I feel like I watched the wrong JOKER trailer? The one I watched looked like a Funny or Die video about “What if Scorsese made a Joker movie?” directed by an intern who saw KING OF COMEDY for the first time six months ago."

I'm just not hyped for this at all... but we'll see how this pans out.
I mean... isn’t that essentially what the movie was described at when it was first announced with Scorsese involved?
Old 04-03-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I think it looks cool.
Old 04-03-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
This forum I swear.

"I don't like them giving an origin to the Joker". " I don't feel that we need an origin for the Joker".

Also this forum:

"I still love Batman 89!" (which featured an origin of The Joker and was almost more about the Joker than Batman)
"Batman: Mask of the Phantasm Rocks!"(which featured backstory about the Joker)
Lets not discount the fact that Batman: The Killing Joke is one of the most acclaimed comic book stories of all time and features...an origin of the Joker.

Personally I'm sold. Phoenix seems to bring it, I like his look, I like his laugh and I think it looks pretty damn interesting. The only thing that is kind of strange is not having Batman around already. Do we need a Joker origin movie? Probably not. But if its well done, then who cares?
Agreed. Looked really good to me

People will find any reason to complain though. Especially if it's DC.
Old 04-03-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Joker and Bruce Wayne?
Old 04-03-19, 09:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I mean... isn’t that essentially what the movie was described at when it was first announced with Scorsese involved?
Sure... except I don't think it's meant to feel like an actual joke at this point. But it really does. And I don't mean this as a way to parrot the quote I posted... I just mean... this is setting the joker up as just some failed loser who snaps. Time will tell, I guess. Sorry to be a downer.
Old 04-03-19, 09:56 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Sure... except I don't think it's meant to feel like an actual joke at this point. But it really does. And I don't mean this as a way to parrot the quote I posted... I just mean... this is setting the joker up as just some failed loser who snaps. Time will tell, I guess. Sorry to be a downer.
Don’t feel bad. Just wait til Mike86 gets here.
Old 04-03-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. On the one hand it looks incredibly well made and Phoenix looks and sounds great. I’ll give it those aspects. I take issue with it seeming like Arthur/Joker is this loser who seemingly takes revenge. It’s also unclear if he actually undergoes a transformation via falling into a vat of acid or if he just adopts the persona of The Joker. I think as a completely separated film it’ll be interesting, but I kind of hope it doesn’t tie to anything else at this point.
Old 04-03-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I think it looks good
Old 04-03-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

It looks ok. As long as they don’t make theJoker Bruce’s half brother, I’ll check it out. It’s still not the version of my favorite comic villain I want to see.
What else bothers me is how DC bungles everything. This could very well be a one off, that goes nowhere. We’ll get five minutes of the true Joker at the end. Then nothing for a few years until the Joker pops back up by a different actor and no connection to this film.
Old 04-03-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

This forum I swear.

"I don't like them giving an origin to the Joker". " I don't feel that we need an origin for the Joker".
I just have no interest in finding out about Joker's mom

"I still love Batman 89!" (which featured an origin of The Joker and was almost more about the Joker than Batman)
Actually, while I like the movie, it's more about the production design and Nicholson's performance than the story for me. I agree that Batman gets shortchanged.

Lets not discount the fact that Batman: The Killing Joke is one of the most acclaimed comic book stories of all time and features...an origin of the Joker.
That doesn't make me personally interested in Joker's issues at work.

Personally I'm sold. Phoenix seems to bring it, I like his look, I like his laugh and I think it looks pretty damn interesting. The only thing that is kind of strange is not having Batman around already. Do we need a Joker origin movie? Probably not. But if its well done, then who cares?
I agree this movie looks interesting and Phoneix seems to be all in. You know what I'm not interested in? The Joker part. It looks like you could make this movie without that - just make him some kind of vigilante. Nothing about that take on the character looks compelling in this trailer. As I said before - I will wait for reviews.
Old 04-03-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This forum I swear.

Also this forum:

"Batman: Mask of the Phantasm Rocks!"(which featured backstory about the Joker)

I can understand the apprehension. The last time the Joker was *successfully* brought to the big screen, the deliberate vagueness of his backstory -- or, as "The Killing Joke" refers to it, the multiple choice nature of his backstory -- was one of his strongest features. Now, they're presumably making it concrete again, unless Arthur pulls a fast one on the audience at the end and turns himself into an unreliable narrator as well.

I still kinda wish this was an adaptation of "The Killing Joke".
Old 04-03-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I'm not the biggest DC fan, you might even call me a shameless Marvel fanboy, and I generally like my comic book movies to be light, but I didn't see anything wrong with that trailer. It looked pretty good to me. I'll go see it.
Old 04-03-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toddarino
It looks ok. As long as they don’t make theJoker Bruce’s half brother, I’ll check it out. It’s still not the version of my favorite comic villain I want to see.
What else bothers me is how DC bungles everything. This could very well be a one off, that goes nowhere. We’ll get five minutes of the true Joker at the end. Then nothing for a few years until the Joker pops back up by a different actor and no connection to this film.

which version do you want to see?
Old 04-03-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Arthur is one of the multiple choices of Joker’s origin and this is just another way he’s remembering what happened to make him the way he is.
Old 04-03-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I agree this movie looks interesting and Phoneix seems to be all in. You know what I'm not interested in? The Joker part. It looks like you could make this movie without that - just make him some kind of vigilante. Nothing about that take on the character looks compelling in this trailer. As I said before - I will wait for reviews.
Oddly enough, I think that's part of what appeals to me about the trailer.

Right now, Arthur's story seems like the progression of real-world mental health issues transitioning into a villain worthy of a superhero, instead of jumping into the grandiose origin of a supervillain.
Old 04-03-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Joker and Bruce Wayne?
I believe so.
Old 04-03-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
which version do you want to see?
I’d like to see the Red Hood version or ideally an origin film that is really made up of multiple contradictory stories. (Which I realize is unfilmable) I just feel giving him too much of a back story, detracts from his true psychopathic nature.
Old 04-03-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Arthur? Are Joker and Aquaman’s moms going to bond over that?

Also, looks good to me.
Old 04-03-19, 11:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

As if we needed another reason to see the DCU sink even lower. This looks like a cold mess.
Old 04-03-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Damn, I thought the trailer looks awesome! Actually gave me chill bumps.

But then again, Man Of Steel did the exact same for me when they released that trailer and we all know how that turned out. (I despise MOS.)

Definitely more excited to see this now as I wasn't sold on the look or the concept before this trailer.
Old 04-03-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Looks good to me
Old 04-03-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the trailer again and I really do like most aspects of it. I love the period setting it’s going for and the film overall looks really good.

I don’t like how it seems like we’re really supposed to sympathize with Arthur. The Joker is an insane killer and giving him that backstory as a way of getting us on his side just feels off.

In his comic origin (or at least the one that’s commonly accepted) he makes a choice that ultimately leads him to become what he is. We still understand where he’s coming from, but ultimately he agrees to commit a crime and in the process becomes The Joker. Here him seeming to have mental issues and a guy who’s basically seen as a loser and harassed/picked on makes him far too sympathetic.

I do still think the film looks interesting as a different take on the character though if it’s a one off story. I don’t think this should be connected to anything later on even if Phoenix’s take on the character is fantastic, which it looks like it may challenge Ledger in some regards.
Old 04-03-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Looks good to me too. It's a standalone movie and from the looks of it seems like a dark character study involving mental illness turning this man into the "The Joker"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.