Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.12%
30.59%
41.18%
8.24%
3.53%
0%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 12:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I enjoyed this but pretty much have already forgotten about it. It's not particularly exceptional in any way, other than Tom Holland who gives his all as Peter.
Old 10-30-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Rewatched this again over the weekend with my family and still enjoyed it very much. I still got chills during the car ride to the dance when Michael Keaton realizes who Peter is. One of the best scenes in all the Marvel movies in my opinion.

I was discussing this movie with a buddy of mine and he didn't care for it but his reasoning made me want to punch a wall. He was upset that they didn't include his origin. He actually asked me "did they ever explain how he got his powers?"

Ugh, people like him are the reason that every stupid reboot has to include the same origin story that has been told for 50 years in every incarnation and media of these superhero characters. One of my favorite things about Homecoming is they didn't do any of that.

When I asked him incredulously if he was saying he did not know how Spider-Man got his powers and what happened to Uncle Ben, he said he knew but he wanted to see it again and that was a big part of why he didn't like the movie.

SMDH...
Old 10-30-17, 01:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Rewatched this again over the weekend with my family and still enjoyed it very much. I still got chills during the car ride to the dance when Michael Keaton realizes who Peter is. One of the best scenes in all the Marvel movies in my opinion.

I was discussing this movie with a buddy of mine and he didn't care for it but his reasoning made me want to punch a wall. He was upset that they didn't include his origin. He actually asked me "did they ever explain how he got his powers?"

Ugh, people like him are the reason that every stupid reboot has to include the same origin story that has been told for 50 years in every incarnation and media of these superhero characters. One of my favorite things about Homecoming is they didn't do any of that.

When I asked him incredulously if he was saying he did not know how Spider-Man got his powers and what happened to Uncle Ben, he said he knew but he wanted to see it again and that was a big part of why he didn't like the movie.

SMDH...
You’ll never please everyone. Most people agree that origins in general are played out and definitely for SM in particular as we’ve seen it twice on screen already.
Old 10-30-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh

There was a 2 second scene where Ned asks him about being bit by a spider.

That was more than enough. I don't need to see Uncle Ben die over and over.
Old 10-30-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
You’ll never please everyone. Most people agree that origins in general are played out and definitely for SM in particular as we’ve seen it twice on screen already.
I know. While I enjoyed this a lot, I can at least understand many of the criticisms of this movie even if I disagree or at least don't weigh the flaws as others may. I think the positives outnumber the negatives but I do get why some people have those negative opinions with the exception of this one.

I simply cannot wrap my head around wanting to see an origin again for the superhero with perhaps the most media presence overall in all forms, all of which has shown the origin previously.

It vexes me.
Old 10-30-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Yeah don't necessarily need full on origins in Comic Book films. Mentions, short scenes, MAYBE some flashbacks..work great at this point.

..if you really are truly that interested in how they "got that" after a movie comes out...go to Wiki, Google, A comic book store(no shortage of dudes who will Mansplain comic character origins there...)
Old 10-30-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
There was a 2 second scene where Ned asks him about being bit by a spider.

That was more than enough. I don't need to see Uncle Ben die over and over.
Exactly. I brought that up to my friend and he didn't remember it. That is on him for not paying attention, there is no need to devote half of a movie rehashing the same material over and over with commonly known information. These people are pop culture icons at this point. It is not necessary.

I asked my friend to explain to me exactly how Gandalf in the LOTR movies (which are some of his favorite movies/books) got his powers and what his origin was that lead him to his current point as the first movie started and he got all mad and said it wasn't important. Ok, sure. Same thing but ok.
Old 10-30-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah don't necessarily need full on origins in Comic Book films. Mentions, short scenes, MAYBE some flashbacks..work great at this point.
I'm the same way... Spidey's origin is well-known, but the MCU just sort of feels incomplete without at least a flashback to the radioactive spider.
Old 11-05-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Finally watched this last night and liked it quite a bit. It’s a shame it took them 6 tries to finally get a Spider-man movie right.

I did find his friend to be mostly annoying and dragged down every scene he was in but aside from that I don’t have any real complaints. Tom Holland is a perfect Spider-Man and beats the bell out of Maguire and Garfield (both of whom I like in general).

I still feel Spider-man was shoehorned into Civil War but after seeing Homecoming, it almost makes me appreciate his appearance in Civil War more. Some of the last few Marvel movies have gotten SO big that it’s kind of nice just seeing Peter act as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man first. I look forward to seeing his adventures later getting bigger and more dangerous. Hopefully Holland stays with the franchise for awhile.

And put me down as another one who found it refreshing not to use this as yet another origin story. The couple of throwaway lines by Peter is just enough to let me know how he obtained his powers.
Old 07-07-18, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Late to the game.
Watched the BD tonight.

IMO, this is one of the best Spiderman films.
Good writing and directing.

LOTS of comedy...very refreshing.
The wife and I had many LOL moments...particularly in the first half.

BTW, it's important to remember "Spiderman" was never REALLY a Spiderman.
Peter Parker was always a Spiderboy.

One caveat regarding this release is the CGI often looks pretty bad for an "A" movie.
I don't know if they ran out of money or what, but it should have embarrassed Sony for not spending a bit more to get it done right.
Old 07-07-18, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I liked the casting and the humor. Keaton was a great villain. Having Favreau acting a bit again was fantastic. Where it failed for me is length and Iron Man. I hate Iron Man with a fiery passion and I don't want or need him in the Spider-man movies.
Old 07-07-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I liked the casting and the humor. Keaton was a great villain. Having Favreau acting a bit again was fantastic. Where it failed for me is length and Iron Man. I hate Iron Man with a fiery passion and I don't want or need him in the Spider-man movies.
What makes you hate him to that extent? The actor? The way they've made the character front and center in the Universe? I haven't read an iron Man comic in decades but nothing he's done in the movies has been particularly fiery hate worthy.
Old 06-28-19, 08:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

I’m sure this was mentioned, but when does this actually take place in MCU timeline?

The opening pretty much mentions right after events in The Avengers, which in 2012. Then flash 8 years later and make it taking place in 2020, which would suggest every movie preceding since has been 2020 and beyond, is that correct?
Old 06-28-19, 08:40 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

They fucked it up and made a mistake. They released a timeline and it’s really a 4 year jump. Even the timeline isn’t perfect.

https://screenrant.com/mcu-timeline-official/

Last edited by dex14; 06-28-19 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 08:56 PM

Geez. So 2016 is Homecoming. What a gaff. Just getting ready for FFH.
Old 06-30-19, 07:52 PM

Forgot how much fun this movie is too. It’s like they told an origin story without it being a “true” origin story. Really well cast and made. Tom Holland is terrific and perfect for role. Really puts Maguire and Garfield to shame. He truly captures the fun and spirit of who young Peter Parker/Spider-Man is. Really great all around and look forward to Spider-Man: Far From Home next Saturday.