Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.12%
30.59%
41.18%
8.24%
3.53%
0%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Ranger
Box office so far is $496 million? Seems low comapred to the other Spider-Man and other superhero movies. Was Marvel expecting better?
I don't know what Marvel was expecting, but I don't think its low. It's already made more domestically then Amazing Spider-Man 2's entire run and compared to the other MCU movies it's already ahead of all the "lesser" heroes like Doctor Strange, Thor, and Ant-Man and should pass Winter Soldier this weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...d=avengers.htm

I'm not sure what territories it's opened in for it's foreign gross, but I imagine that number should still grow considerably.
Old 07-22-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 747 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

I'm not sure what territories it's opened in for it's foreign gross, but I imagine that number should still grow considerably.
It's opened everywhere but Spain (July 28), Japan (August 11th), and China (no release date announced)
Old 07-23-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, OK, you guys are right. Now at $571 million. So it should come close or top GotG 2's $859 million.
Old 07-24-17, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, after seeing Valerian and Dunkirk on Thursday and Friday, I took Mrs. Orbi-Wan and her sister to see Spider-Man on Sunday, and enjoyed it my second time WAY more than those other two movies.
Old 07-24-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

My daughter and I enjoyed this quite a bit.

She really likes Tom Holland in the role.

Hopefully, Aunt May receives more screen-time the next go-around.
Old 07-27-17, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I saw this for the first time yesterday and loved it. Keaton really stole the show. This is how a Spider-Man movie should be made.
Old 07-27-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Saw it yesterday and was very underwhelmed. It's basically "Young Iron Man". The Ned character totally detracts from the film, as does the MJ character. I felt like I was watching an action version of Sweet Valley High.

There were some positives. I thought that Holland was a decent H.S. Peter Parker for the millennial age. The action sequences were well done, especially the airplane sequence and some of the fights. And Keaton was one of the best Marvel villains yet.

However, there were way too many small universe moments (Tomes being Liz's dad being the biggest one, followed by May walking in on Peter as Spiderman).

All in all I felt it was a middle of the road Spiderman movie. I would still rank them: SM2, SM1, Homecoming, SM3.

And don't get me started about the fucking stupid end credits sequence with Cap...
Old 07-27-17, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Saw it yesterday and was very underwhelmed. It's basically "Young Iron Man". The Ned character totally detracts from the film, as does the MJ character. I felt like I was watching an action version of Sweet Valley High.

There were some positives. I thought that Holland was a decent H.S. Peter Parker for the millennial age. The action sequences were well done, especially the airplane sequence and some of the fights. And Keaton was one of the best Marvel villains yet.

However, there were way too many small universe moments (Tomes being Liz's dad being the biggest one, followed by May walking in on Peter as Spiderman).

All in all I felt it was a middle of the road Spiderman movie. I would still rank them: SM2, SM1, Homecoming, SM3.

And don't get me started about the fucking stupid end credits sequence with Cap...
Your aunt, who is effectively your mom in this case, walking in on you when you're doing something private is a small universe moment? My childhood was a collection of small universe events, I guess.

I was never a fan of the original or the reboot Spiderman movies but I loved Homecoming. I was laughing throughout.

Last edited by Bareit; 07-27-17 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-27-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

The audience I saw this with absolutely loved the Captain America end sequence as did I.
Old 07-27-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bareit
Your aunt, who is effectively your mom in this case, walking in on you when you're doing something private is a small universe moment? My childhood was a collection of small universe events, I guess.

I was never a fan of the original or the reboot Spiderman movies but I loved Homecoming. I was laughing throughout.
I'm sort of getting tired how Marvel is making all of their movies buddy comedy action movies. They are turning into Lethal Weapon. I expect to see Chris Rock at some point.
Old 07-27-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Just finished. Fantastic from beginning to end. Holland is by far, the best Spider-Man. Captured him perfectly as to.how I would imagine Peter Parker to be. The action sequences were great and Keaton was one of best villians in any Marvel movies to date. Home run.
Old 07-28-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Finally got around to seeing this today. Damn what a great movie. Beginning to end it's a fun time. Loved how a Spider-Man film for once actually felt like the comics in terms of Peter being a high school aged kid instead of an older actor trying to play a teenager. Holland proved that he wasn't just a one off gimmick in Civil War and is by far the best Peter/Spidey. Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield are nowhere near him after this. The costume is great and I liked the tech aspects of it. Hope they keep using it rather than the one Stark offered him at the end when he was going to make him an Avenger.

The film also has a lot of genuinely funny moments. It never really felt like it was trying too hard to be funny and just came off natural. The soundtrack was pretty good as well.

Also liked the other kids. None of them were annoying and felt like real high schoolers.

I liked how Stark/Iron Man were used here as well. He's in just enough that his presence is felt but he doesn't take over the film. I was honestly surprised he wasn't in more.

Keaton also was very good as Toomes/Vulture. Probably one of the best MCU villains to date in my opinion. Loved the reveal (which was a total surprise to me) that he was Liz's dad. I didn't expect that at all and loved the moment where Toomes figures it out in the car. The way that the stoplight shown red on his face when he knew and green when he was in Vulture mode to let Peter know he knew was great.

The final battle was decent. It wasn't long and drawn out but got the job done. I personally liked the Washington Monument scene a bit more and the Ferry scene was good too.

Overall one of the best MCU films in my opinion. I think this year the only superhero film that's better is Logan.
Old 07-30-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything you said, Mike. I laughed out loud more during this movie than I have for most of the rest of the MCU movies. I really loved how they stayed true to the fact that this is a 15-year-old kid caught between being a child and being an adult. One of my favorite scenes was in the car when Keaton's character bullied him into saying "thank you" for letting him live, and Peter nearly started crying because he was so angry and frustrated and didn't know what to do.
Old 07-30-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought it was okay. I liked it more than Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2.
Old 09-28-17, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

This is on VUDU and I thought it was great. No, I did not think Ned was annoying at all even though the trailers make it seem so. Holland as Spidey and Peter were great, Marisa Tomei is gorgeous and Keaton rocked hard.

On a tangent -- if you have already seen IT in theaters then do yourselves a favor and check out Jon Watts' film "Clown" -- it's great and has a great twist on the character. Also, check out Cop Car (which only cost $800,000), with Kevin Bacon -- Clown only cost 1.5 million and Spider-Man cost 175 million to make -- what a fucking success story.
Old 09-28-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have seen both Clown and Cop Car. Very good both of them.
Old 10-17-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I didn't like much of the first hour but enjoyed the DC trip forward. They did a solid job with the secondary characters imo.
Old 10-21-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I finally saw this...meh. it had a its cool parts but i felt like i was watching a teen flick and so it just didn't do much for me. I felt myself wishing it would get to the point so could see the end credit scenes.

Loved the Vulture, Tom Holland, Spider-Man tech costumes...Iron Man in small doses..MILF Aunt May, Cap America PSA's.
Old 10-21-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I was relieved that Tony Stark was only used sparingly and didn't overwhelm the movie.

I didn't really care for the Spider suit. It was too Irom Man-y and gimmicky with all of the high tech stuff.

Unless I missed it, there wasn't much in the way of an origin story. I can dig that we've already seen Peter Parker become Spider-Man twice onscreen, but it could have used a flashback or something just to establish him in the MCU.
Old 10-21-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

^ I thought not showing Peter getting bitten by a spider was one of the movie’s best ideas.
Old 10-22-17, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I finally saw this...meh. it had a its cool parts but i felt like i was watching a teen flick...
Fortunately or unfortunately, that was exactly what they were going for to set it apart from the other MCU movies.
Old 10-22-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
^ I thought not showing Peter getting bitten by a spider was one of the movie’s best ideas.
Agree. No need to show it again. Everyone already has seen it twice.
Old 10-23-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Fortunately or unfortunately, that was exactly what they were going for to set it apart from the other MCU movies.
Totally get that, and I can appreciate the effort. Hey, it wasn't targeted at me a 40 something. oh well...
Old 10-23-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
I agree. Though I would have loooved to have seen Aunt May get bit...on her ass.
Old 10-23-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I didn't really care for the Spider suit. It was too Irom Man-y and gimmicky with all of the high tech stuff.
Yeah, although i loved the Techy Spider suit(s)...to me it kinda took away from his own built in abilities.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.