Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Killroy Was Here (D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Killroy Was Here (D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Killroy Was Here (D: Kevin Smith)

It’s sad when a guy looking like a gator wrestling, back swamp hillbilly from Florida still dresses classier than Kevin Smith.
Old 08-16-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hit Somebody died when Sean William Scott bailed on him to make Goon.
Buckaroo Banzai was all set to go but Smith refused to move forward when he found out the creator hadn't been getting compensated; he did make reference recently that issue may have been rectified and it could be back on.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-14-21)
Old 08-16-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

So what happened again with Mallrats 2? He was posting photos almost daily of the cast a year or two back insinuating the gang was back together - the poof!
Old 08-16-18, 06:18 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
So what happened again with Mallrats 2? He was posting photos almost daily of the cast a year or two back insinuating the gang was back together - the poof!
Fell apart:
Why Mallrats 2 Can’t Get Made
Universal plays a big part in the story of Mallrats 2 failing to get off the ground...
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/m...can-t-get-made
Old 08-18-18, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It’s sad when a guy looking like a gator wrestling, back swamp hillbilly from Florida still dresses classier than Kevin Smith.
LOL.

Smith's early career showed a lot of promise, but he hasn't evolved.
Oh well, so it goes...
Old 08-18-18, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
His wardrobe was passable as a fat guy. As a skinny guy, he looks ridiculous.

But major props for losing the weight.
Old 08-18-18, 07:09 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

He probably doesn't care / doesn't know any better. I remember the day I decided to dress better. It boosted my morale in powerful ways and changed how I saw myself as I continue on my own weight loss journey. He either doesn't need that boost or he doesn't understand the boost that can come with it.
John Pannozzi (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 06:52 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Kevin Smith is looking to push the boundaries on indie distribution again and this time he’s auctioning off his latest horror feature anthology Killroy Was Here as an NFT (non-fungible token). The owner of the NFT will secure the rights to exhibit, distribute and stream the work, making it a means for whoever owns the movie to earn money outside of the blockchain.

“As an indie artist, I’m always looking for a new platform through which to tell a story,” said Smith. “And Crypto has the potential to provide that, while also intersecting with our almost 25 years of experience selling real world collectibles online and at the brick-and-mortar Jay and Silent Bob’s Secret Stash. Back in 1994, we took Clerks up to Sundance and sold it. Selling Killroy as an NFT feels very similar: whoever buys it could choose to monetize it traditionally, or simply own a film that nobody ever sees but them. We’re not trying to raise financing by selling NFT’s for a Killroy movie; the completed Killroy movie IS the NFT. And If this works, we suddenly have a new stage on which I and other, better artists than me can tell our stories.”

Back at 2011 Sundance Film Festival, Smith, working outside the Hollywood system, held an auction at the Eccles Theatre following the pic’s premiere for his movie Red State. That auction opened and closed with him buying the film for $20, much to the upset of buyers in the room. Lionsgate eventually obtained rights to distribute Red State on all packaged media, video on demand, subscription video on demand, electronic sell-through and TV in the US, while Smith’s SModcast retained theatrical rights. Smith will not obtain any theatrical rights after Killroy is sold as an NFT with whoever buys it maintaining sole ownership of the movie.

Additionally today, Smith is expanding his cinematic View Askewniverse into the Cryptoverse with Jay and Silent Bob’s Crypto Studio Crypto.JayAndSilentBob.com – an NFT gallery showcasing and selling art featuring the cult movie stoner duo.

Unlike the most recognized NFT marketplaces (Niftygateway, Rarible, OpenSea), Jay and Silent Bob’s Crypto Studio will be a boutique crypto gallery with its own .crypto address, curated by Smith and his crew. Regular Drops will be built around the Smokin’ Tokens, featuring 3D art that will commemorate a different Jay and Silent Bob movie every month. Audio from Crypto Studio co-owner Jason Mewes calls you a “non-fungible f***” while also identifying the color of your Smokin’ Token: green, orange, yellow, or purple. The three Platinum Token packs come with all four colors of the Smokin’ Tokens, along with an exclusive Platinum Token that grants the bearer a Crypto Cameo in Smith’s next film, Clerks III. Also in the first drop: a Killroy teaser NFT, which showcases 3D comic book and actual footage for the first movie ever sold as an NFT (which will happen in Drop 2). Smith is teaming with Semkhor, a media and technology company focused on digital content production and distribution. Over the next several months, Semkhor will be releasing NFTS in conjunction with Heavy Metal, Dylan McDermott, Marc Antony, Robert Whitman, and Gerardo. Phantasma, which Smith is also working with, is a blockchain for content distribution of NFTs, Gaming and dApps that is fast, secure and decentralized.

Two platinum tokens will be hidden among the Smokin’ Tokens and the Killroy Teaser NFTs. Those participating might have to buy an orange Smokin’ Token or a Killroy Teaser NFT to walk away with a Clerks III

Rounding out the first Drop are the fan art pieces in J&SB’s Crypto Studio. This part of the gallery will showcase emerging or established artists who want to create and sell NFTs that feature Jay, Silent Bob, Mooby, Buddy Christ, or The Secret Stash.

Says Smith, “This allows us to shine a spotlight on artists we love and introduce the community to their style by way of our characters. We provide the Jay and Silent Bob, you provide the art, our partner Semkhor mints the NFT, and we split the profits. I’ve earned money off of Jay and Silent Bob for years now, so it’s nice to provide a licensed place where others can do the same.”
https://deadline.com/2021/04/kevin-s...io-1234733439/
Old 04-13-21, 07:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

JFC, fucking NFTs.
Old 04-13-21, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I just spent fifteen minutes reading an article to learn what NFTs are (artists I follow on twitter mention them constantly) and I still have no freaking clue about what this system means or how it operates. The speed with which technology develops is frighteningly fast. It took my parents until they were in their 70s when they conceded they were outpaced and couldn't learn anymore new stuff now. I'm only 42 and I feel like I'm at that point now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
JeremyM (04-14-21), John Pannozzi (08-20-22)
Old 04-14-21, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I hate to say it but I read the article and I haven't a clue what they're talking about.
Old 04-14-21, 06:40 AM

NFTs, the digital bits of anything that sell for millions of dollars, explained
Artists, influencers, and the NBA are making millions from non-fungible tokens.
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/223139...ypto-explained

What Is An NFT—And Should You Buy One?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambr...h=41fd67f124b2

Everything You Need to Know About NFTs—the Crypto Art Selling For Millions
Your guide to the cryptocurrency collectibles that are taking the digital art and music world by storm
https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...fts-explained/

What are NFTs? Everything you need to know.
https://mashable.com/article/nft-exp...ngible-tokens/
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Crocker Jarmen (04-14-21), John Pannozzi (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So no Blu-ray release?
Old 04-14-21, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by windom
So no Blu-ray release?
That's up to whoever buys it. If it's a streamer who ends up with in the end, probably not.

Old 04-14-21, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Okay. So. As an NFT, it is an encrypted digital key to owning the movie in digital form. Basically a next-generation contract.

In the art world, I figured it's just another way for rich assholes to hide money outside of fine art.

Old 04-15-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

What is a Fungible?
Old 04-15-21, 08:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Fungus. Like Kev's last... four? ... movies.
​​​​​
Old 04-15-21, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I hope a director I actually give a shit about doesn’t do this. I have no idea what any of this means.
Old 04-15-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I have no idea what an NFT is but if Smith’s selling his movie to one person, I guess I’ll throw my name in. I’ve got 6, no 7 dollars in my pocket right now to pay for it. So what do I do? PayPal? Venmo Kev directly?
Old 04-15-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I hope a director I actually give a shit about doesn’t do this. I have no idea what any of this means.
I think I can explain it right.

It sells like a one-time Bitcoin. Instead of a dollar, it's a piece of art. The rights only belong to the person who owns the token (just like a Bitcoin).

The "digital file" (I assume a big movie file in the file format movies use) is what you get.

The "rights" can simply be sold by reselling the NFT.

So instead of a complicated contract, the owner simply owns the file.

Hypothetically, I guess someone could buy it for $5M, and hold it for ransom to fans who really want to see it. Like that Wu-Tang album bought by the pharma douche. The bidder could be some rich dude who keeps it for himself.

Here is a story on one NFT that just sold for $70M. Probably money laundering or hiding financial crimes. Expensive fine art is for Bond Villains.

https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...-what/2212823/
John Pannozzi (08-20-22)
Old 04-15-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

NFT is just a way to assign tangible value to a digital asset (through the use of blockchain, a "distributed ledger"). It's still bullshit, but now it's Limited Edition bullshit.
John Pannozzi (08-20-22)
Old 04-15-21, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I think I can explain it right.

It sells like a one-time Bitcoin. Instead of a dollar, it's a piece of art. The rights only belong to the person who owns the token (just like a Bitcoin).

The "digital file" (I assume a big movie file in the file format movies use) is what you get.

The "rights" can simply be sold by reselling the NFT.

So instead of a complicated contract, the owner simply owns the file.

Hypothetically, I guess someone could buy it for $5M, and hold it for ransom to fans who really want to see it. Like that Wu-Tang album bought by the pharma douche. The bidder could be some rich dude who keeps it for himself.

Here is a story on one NFT that just sold for $70M. Probably money laundering or hiding financial crimes. Expensive fine art is for Bond Villains.

https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...-what/2212823/
Ok thanks now I sorta get it. Didn’t that Steven Wilson do something similar, but I think it was with real money.
John Pannozzi (08-20-22)
Old 04-15-21, 11:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

In the case of Smith's film, he's tying ownership (rights) to the
​​​​​ movie, a rarity but ultimately meaningless, because any normal contract would do the same and doesn't require crypto bullshit.

This conversation sums NFTs up best.

Old 04-16-21, 06:15 AM

Old 04-16-21, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not sure I totally follow but this seems like just another stunt for Smith to ostracize himself from Hollywood even more (like auctioning off Red State to himself).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.