Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
19.85%
19.85%
32.82%
11.45%
9.16%
1.53%
3.05%
0%
0.76%
0.76%
0.76%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Dropping my rating from a 4 to a 3. DCEU fail. Again.

Who knows why they did, perhaps it just looked better on screen.
Old 07-03-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Indeed. This is why superhero movies need to have other drama going on. The last fight/climax was never the best part of a Marvel movie. Nolan's Batman did a good job at making the climax memorable. In MCU movies, it's perfunctory.

Frankly, the DCU has more to do before it's even part of the conversation. Wonder Woman was their first real win.
Really I cannot remember a single ending to any of the Nolan Batman movies. My recollection of The Dark Knight was the Joker hanging off the side of a building and it sort of just ending. Or was that the ending where he decides to be the bad guy for a while?
Old 07-03-17, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

I guess there's times when you know too much to enjoy a movie.
Old 07-03-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

It's a movie where an invisible island full of only women "births" a demigod to the world to fight a real god and someone is concerned with the accuracy of the WWI uniforms?
Old 07-03-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,030 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just saw this and it was fun. It was good that they left out Aries from the marketing, because I thought it would just be Huston's and Dr. Poison's character left to fight. The reveal was surprising.

I didn't care for some of the effects -- one that bothered me was when Diana, as a little girl, falls and I think Robin Wright or her mother catches her -- the green screen was awful. There are bits of that throughout. I did like the design work and it felt right out out of WWI. It reminded me of The Rocketeer.

I will definitely be getting the BD.
Almost all of the backdrops and cgi on the island looked really bad to me. Jarring in spots.
Old 07-03-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's a movie where an invisible island full of only women "births" a demigod to the world to fight a real god and someone is concerned with the accuracy of the WWI uniforms?
I don't see why that's funny. If they made it a point for the film to take place during the WWI, I would expect things to not look like WWII.

I doubt it will make or break the film, but I do appreciate it when producers respect the intelligence of the audience.
Old 07-03-17, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Almost all of the backdrops and cgi on the island looked really bad to me. Jarring in spots.
Always someone hating on the CGI. I never really notice it. Are you looking specifically to find flaws? I mean I still think that this is great CGI.

So I am not sure I will ever notice bad CGI
Old 07-03-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,030 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Always someone hating on the CGI. I never really notice it. Are you looking specifically to find flaws? I mean I still think that this is great CGI.

So I am not sure I will ever notice bad CGI
Naw, just catches the eye wrong and never quite "looks right". It's one of those "Once you see it, you can't unsee it" things that gets frustrating from time to time. If you can't see it now, don't try to, keep the illusion alive!

Most of Jurassic Park benefited from animatronics and using computers to enhance instead of create, though I guess they did do a few full CG overlays.
Old 07-03-17, 11:15 PM

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,166 Posts

My spouse and I both had the day off so we dropped the kids at preschool and caught an early matinee. I liked it quite a bit, she loved it. There's some clunky pieces along the way, and minor irritations (Steve and Diana really didn't talk about anything on the sailboat?! Seems like all the dialogue when they got to the city could've happened on the boat, in terms of what would actually happen, so my disbelief wasn't all that suspended there). We both agreed Gal Gadot's smile could melt steel, very pretty. Pine did really well. Didn't get much payoff for the squad. Saw Ares coming from a mile away. Liked the action, enjoyed Diana's journey. I'd see it again and we're giving serious thought as to whether to take our 5-year-old daughter. Might have to wait for the Blu-ray on that, though.
Old 07-05-17, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

My problem was with the ending, it was a clusterfuck. Overall Wonder Woman kicked ass.
Old 07-07-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
This ranks 3rd (After Logan, GOTG2) for 2017's comic-book movies for me, but I'm willing to bet that I'll end up liking this more than Homecoming.
So much for that! New rankings: Logan, Homecoming, GOTG2, WW. Two more to go.
Old 07-08-17, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
So much for that! New rankings: Logan, Homecoming, GOTG2, WW. Two more to go.
My ratings would literally be the exact opposite.
Old 07-10-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Old 07-10-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Nice
Old 07-24-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Finally saw this over the weekend. Fucking loved it. I gave it a 4.5/5 rating. Had the film been trimmed down just a little, I would have given it a 5. But I think it's the best film of the Summer. "Dunkirk" is a close second.
Old 11-05-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally saw it. Enjoyed it a lot, probably the best of the DCCU so far
my huge nit pick, what happened to the German ship? It's shown coming through the cloaking bubble as the small boats are landing, so they would have seen the battle, and it just goes away without bombarding the shore?
Old 11-05-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
my huge nit pick, what happened to the German ship? It's shown coming through the cloaking bubble as the small boats are landing, so they would have seen the battle, and it just goes away without bombarding the shore?
It's subtle, but when shown through the bubble, it appears to have hit a reef or rock or something and is slowly sinking.
Old 11-16-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

finally saw this last night and for all the praise this received the bar must be set really low for DC universe movies

EDIT: and I see above comments about the CGI/green screen ..... it was very noticeable and not in a good way
Old 11-25-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Count me as another who didn’t think much of this movie.

Maybe I went in with expectations too high, but I didn’t see one thing in the film I thought was remarkable.

I’m not a comic guy so maybe I’m not invested in the character as much as some, but then again I loved the TV show as a kid. This WW just didn’t do anything for me. Sure Gadot is gorgeous but I don’t find her to be even a decent actress. The Thewlis casting is baffling. The ending as stated by others, just a mess. Too long (and I like long movies - when they’re good).

I know this will be met with derision but I may have actually enjoyed Suicide Squad more and I know I liked BvS better. That’s not to say any of them are good films. I’m just stunned at the love for this one. I think every Marvel film I’ve seen has been better with maybe Doctor Strange and Norton’s Hulk being the exceptions.

I’m excited to go see Thor 3 soon as I think it might be the fun film I was expecting this to be.
Old 11-25-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Count me as another who didn’t think much of this movie.

Maybe I went in with expectations too high, but I didn’t see one thing in the film I thought was remarkable.

I’m not a comic guy so maybe I’m not invested in the character as much as some, but then again I loved the TV show as a kid. This WW just didn’t do anything for me. Sure Gadot is gorgeous but I don’t find her to be even a decent actress. The Thewlis casting is baffling. The ending as stated by others, just a mess. Too long (and I like long movies - when they’re good).

I know this will be met with derision but I may have actually enjoyed Suicide Squad more and I know I liked BvS better. That’s not to say any of them are good films. I’m just stunned at the love for this one. I think every Marvel film I’ve seen has been better with maybe Doctor Strange and Norton’s Hulk being the exceptions.

I’m excited to go see Thor 3 soon as I think it might be the fun film I was expecting this to be.
My wife teared up during this movie several times (especially the "No Man's Land" sequence") because of the female empowerment messages. And she's someone who's seen and enjoyed nearly every comic book movie we've seen together back to stuff like Blade. This was just so different from those male-dominated films that it really struck her (and me too, for the record).
Old 11-25-17, 01:22 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
My wife teared up during this movie several times (especially the "No Man's Land" sequence") because of the female empowerment messages.
OMG girlpower!!!

I liked the film for what it is. It was smarter than most of these second string comic book movies. Wife liked it a little more than me.

But isn't the No Man's Land thing just about as on the nose as anything could possibly be? They set it up so you can see it a mile away.

I was more amused by a moment that no one in this thread has mentioned: When she sees him nude and then the conversation turns to his wristwatch. That was clever writing and a very efficient scene that sets up their relationship and their mutual curiosity about each other. That's the best scene in the movie. Clever, subtle, romantic, humorous.
Old 11-25-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 780 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

But isn't the No Man's Land thing just about as on the nose as anything could possibly be? They set it up so you can see it a mile away.
Nah, they could have made it more on the nose by having Wonder Woman say: "I am no man!"

I was actually afraid they were gonna go there.
Old 11-25-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
When do they reveal "No Man's Land" though? Wasn't it right when they get there? Something to the effect of a character telling Wonder Woman, "this is No Man's Land, no man has ever crossed it," and she proceeds to march into battle. Not sure how "seeing that coming from a mile away" is a some kind of negative when it all happens in a span of a few minutes. It's not like they telegraphed it a half hour prior to her showing up on the battlefield.
Old 11-25-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 379 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Nah, they could have made it more on the nose by having Wonder Woman say: "I am no man!"
Worked in that other movie.
Old 11-25-17, 10:15 PM

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,166 Posts

The Crying Game?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.