Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
19.85%
19.85%
32.82%
11.45%
9.16%
1.53%
3.05%
0%
0.76%
0.76%
0.76%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-17, 10:15 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Nah, they could have made it more on the nose by having Wonder Woman say: "I am no man!"

I was actually afraid they were gonna go there.
Yes, it was exactly Return of the King. That film telegraphed it a mile ahead of time too.
Old 11-26-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Yes, and it's word for word in Tolkien's book. I don't get what you mean by telegraphing it or it being on the nose. They were gonna use it regardless. It was expected.
Old 11-26-17, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yes, and it's word for word in Tolkien's book. I don't get what you mean by telegraphing it or it being on the nose. They were gonna use it regardless. It was expected.
Regarding ROTK, when Sauron or whoever, summons the wrathes he’s like, “You are the king of bad guys who fly on dragons. No man can kill you!”

Meanwhile, for the last hour Aragorn has been riding from Rohan with this hot blonde who has secreted a sword and come along in defiance of Rohan’s laws.

Only a dunce wouldn’t instantly conclude that chick is going to kill that bad guy. But she doesn’t do it for another hour.

With regard to Wonder Woman, there were many English words for the area. Most common were “between the trenches” or “between the lines”. “No mans land” was used as well. When a movie about a woman super-warrior name drops that particular phrase it’s all a little too predictably on the nose.

I liked the scene, but it was an easy play.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-26-17 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-26-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Saw it 3 times in theaters and watched it on video and my wife still cries during no man's land.

I think it's great the scene moves her so much.
Old 11-26-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

And in the end, that's all that matters. Only on the internet will you find a bunch of dudes complaining about a woman crossing a piece of land called No Man's Land.
Old 11-26-17, 03:53 PM
Banned

It has nothing to do with gender, it’s about execution. They went for the easy tear. That’s okay. People cry during Steel Magnolias too.

I just saw Coco. Now there’s a film that earns its tears of sadness and of joy with intricate plot construction. The construction alone makes me weep. Like a brilliantly executed magic trick.
Old 11-27-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but got a bit bored with the ending. I felt it went on for too long, and there was too much of the flying-debris-filled environment that's becoming the standard for comic book movies.
Old 11-27-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Saw it 3 times in theaters and watched it on video and my wife still cries during no man's land.

Agreed. Really drives home how badly women have been neglected when it comes to the most popular genre of modern movies.
Old 11-28-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After watching it a second time over the weekend, I enjoyed it more than the first time in theaters. I think the first time I was bummed about seeing this over GOTG2 because of the hype
Old 11-28-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but got a bit bored with the ending. I felt it went on for too long, and there was too much of the flying-debris-filled environment that's becoming the standard for comic book movies.
Same here, though "bored" is a too strong a word for me. I enjoyed everything up until right after "no man's land". Then things kinda slowed way down for me. I hope WW2 still has lotsa "fish out of water" and "Diana is so NEW" type scenes. Those scenes are fun and have a lot of heart. The ending was your typical "Final Boss" scenes that, to me as a gamer, is a kinda like..whatever. I thought the final battle in JL was more exciting and fun. I liked seeing everyone working together.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-28-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-28-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

One thing I would LOOOVE to see more of is WW doing different forms of battle. It would be cool to see her do some straight up fisticuffs or other forms of personal combat with powerful villains.
Old 11-28-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
One thing I would LOOOVE to see more of is WW doing different forms of battle. It would be cool to see her do some straight up fisticuffs or other forms of personal combat with powerful villains.
Yes, this. If they do Cheetah properly, fights between the two could be epic. We're talking a super-fast, savage fighter who can draw blood from Superman.
Old 12-04-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm about 40 minutes in to watching Wonder Woman.
Some thoughts:

-I like the vintage photograph. Really nice set up. I don't like the Bruce Wayne connection but it was necessary to make the present world of WW feel even bigger.

-The story of "man" by Hippolyta to young Diana felt off to me. Sounded more like Christian creation myth. "Man in his own image," and Ares being jealous of man so he came to Earth to sew discord and strife. Looked it up and yeah, Zeus didn't create man, Prometheus did. Zeus created woman, Pandora. Didn't like the movie dumbing down Greek mythology. I mean, I understand why, but I think there was a better solution.

-The CGI looks obvious in some parts of Paradise Island, but only in the first training montage. Themyscira looks good though. I wish there had been a little more Greek sculptures, a little more paradise-meets-Sparta but nice enough.

-No mention of Athena or Aphrodite so far, but maybe I missed it. Weird. Didn't Athena give life to Man in mythology?d Missed opportunity IMO.

-Amazons vs the Germans was pretty bad ass for essentially being a kid film. The training fights prior to this looked kind of weak, but here they looked cool. I liked the sideways spinning fighting technique. Antiope with the archery was awesome.

-Diana's backstory seemed very rushed. The dialogue implies that she's a great warrior ("You're stronger than this!" x 2), but I think film should show it instead of just telling us. The bracelet super movie is the only thing that really does this, and that has nothing to do with combat or physical training.

-Gal Gadot has some great line delivery. She really sells the confident naïveté. "I'll kill Ares and the war will end. Watch, you'll see."

-"Oh, look! A baby!" The way that scene was shot was perfect.

Overall, this is a very fun movie so far.
Old 12-05-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

which one is the "no man's land" scene
Old 12-05-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 660 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
which one is the "no man's land" scene
It's the scene where they're in the trenches, and Diana ditches her disguise and decides to cross No Man's Land (the area between the British and German trenches). It's the moment she becomes Wonder Woman.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/166...years-from-now
https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-...-no-mans-land/
Old 12-05-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,498 Likes on 947 Posts

Movies always dumb-down Greek mythology. Nobody cares except the tiny number of us who've read Greek mythology.

I'd like to see a frighteningly violent Hercules who left single mothers all over the Mediterranean and who was accidentally killed by a jealous wife, but Sam Raimi and Kevin Sorbo wouldn't have been able to sell it. So we get a happy Hercules who rescues damsels.
Old 12-05-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hell, I actually liked Brett Ratner's version of Hercules where The Rock was just
Spoiler:
a con man running scams and embellishing his adventures.
That was a nice touch. Clash/Wrath of the Titans had two chances to become great Greek myth films, but the stories were garbage. Immortals, though, was really cool thanks to Tarsem's direction.

I just thought that the whole Ares thing in WW could have been left out or increase the running time (it was already over 2 hours, so that wouldn't have worked), because WW discovering that Ares is the one ultimately running the show sort of took the gas out of her journey. It would have been better if there was no Ares and that it was just a tale she was told as a chid to be protected or to have some sort inspiration to do good, etc. I think the General and Doctor Poison were big enough threats. Shoehorning Ares in there was a bit of a buzz kill.
Old 12-05-17, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's the scene where they're in the trenches, and Diana ditches her disguise and decides to cross No Man's Land (the area between the British and German trenches). It's the moment she becomes Wonder Woman.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/166...years-from-now
https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-...-no-mans-land/
Thanks now I remember, that was a good scene indeed but I think the one i got more emotionally invested was when she goes back to the village after the Gas has been fired and Steve comes and she goes "you kill them, we could have stopped this" or something like that

Hell, I actually liked Brett Ratner's version of Hercules where The Rock was just
Spoiler:
a con man running scams and embellishing his adventures.
That was a nice touch. Clash/Wrath of the Titans had two chances to become great Greek myth films, but the stories were garbage. Immortals, though, was really cool thanks to Tarsem's direction.

I just thought that the whole Ares thing in WW could have been left out or increase the running time (it was already over 2 hours, so that wouldn't have worked), because WW discovering that Ares is the one ultimately running the show sort of took the gas out of her journey. It would have been better if there was no Ares and that it was just a tale she was told as a chid to be protected or to have some sort inspiration to do good, etc. I think the General and Doctor Poison were big enough threats. Shoehorning Ares in there was a bit of a buzz kill.
But Ares does tell her, this is not me but man's own doing. Its part of the plot, I think it adds more weight to her realization that man is indeed capable of making heinous acts. Just like the Grinch discovering the true meaning of Christmas by removing all the decorations and realizing it wasn't that at all
Old 12-05-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Uhm..it's all MYTH. Are were really caring about artistic liberties on made up ancient MYTHS? It's like complaining that they made BigFoot's fur reddish-brown instead of dark brown. Christians, Greeks, Egyptians, etc. They all stole aspects of these stories and made them their own.
Old 12-05-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nando820
But Ares does tell her, this is not me but man's own doing. Its part of the plot, I think it adds more weight to her realization that man is indeed capable of making heinous acts. Just like the Grinch discovering the true meaning of Christmas by removing all the decorations and realizing it wasn't that at all
Yeah, in the WW animated movie it's Man's violence and anger that makes Aries powerful. Without that he is "weak". So bottom line...Man is fucked up and brings this shit on themselves. Aries, like Satan, just nudges them in direction they were headed anyway.
Old 12-05-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Then I guess I was against Ares' personification. That last battle was anti-climatic, IMO.
Old 12-05-17, 01:33 PM

yeah the last battle did suck a little, it was a tad cliche, maybe better dialogue. But the goodbye with Steve was solid "I can save today, but you can save the world"
Old 12-05-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Then I guess I was against Ares' personification. That last battle was anti-climatic, IMO.
Yeah, nothing about that last battle worked for me. Was kind of frustrating.
Old 12-05-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Totally get that and agree. Like I've said, being a Gamer the Big Boss Battles in films have to kick ass for me to be impressed.
Old 12-05-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Okay, finished the film.

-Dr. Poison is stressing out over losing her super poison gas formula, but she has soldier-serum smelling salts?

-WW in London is great. I like Etta Candy. The revolving door, cute.

-WW telling off the British generals and Trevor. Awesome.

-The "God Killer" can't be too important if WW lets some woman she just met keep it for her.

-The No Man's Land scene was a let down. WW looked like she was strutting on a cat walk at first. The following scene of WW kicking ass in the village was WAAAY better.

-WW finds out Steve's "people" wiped out Chief's people but she doesn't confront Steve about it. Missed opportunity. This and Samir talking about being "the wrong color" for acting felt more like paying lip service to progressive audiences rather than having any real significance within the story.

-Super-soldier Ludendorff being able to fight a warrior goddess? Bullshit. Just an excuse to have sub-boss battle. Should never introduced that element.

-Ares looked cool at first, but the dude had telekinesis/Darkside of the Force powers, commanded lightning, could fly, too much stuff. Whole scene looked like a video game.

Overall, a fun film, but overrated from what I read prior to seeing it. Definitely better than Captain America: The First Avenger. WW incognito in London, and the village fight were the best parts. Was there a reference to the Angels of Mons, or something similar in the film?

Last edited by brayzie; 12-05-17 at 08:49 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.