Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
19.85%
19.85%
32.82%
11.45%
9.16%
1.53%
3.05%
0%
0.76%
0.76%
0.76%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Cusm
He is just concerned with getting those 2-3 "SHOTS" and the rest of the film will follow, worried about the visuals and not the story.
We didn't need to see Thomas and Martha Wayne get shot again, by by god, it's the most beautifully shot version yet.
Old 06-06-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Dark and bleak are fine if done with a balance of heart and character. The Dark Knight is, well, dark... but you care about those characters. Same with Logan. I CRIED at the end of Logan. But Snyder doesn't get that. He doesn't know how to, or just refuses to, blend them all together.
I cried at the end of Logan too but it isn't a movie that I will rewatch multiple times like most superhero movies. Logan is a much better movie but dark and has no hope. Same with the Nolan movies. I actually have watched Batman Begins the most of the 3 even though I think it is the weakest overall as a FILM.
Old 06-06-17, 10:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TDKR is definitely weaker as a film. The themes aren't clear, the messaging muddled, the third act a joke.

Also Logan ends on a hopeful note.
Old 06-06-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Interesting year for superhero flicks. I think Wonder Woman is better than Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as a FILM, but only just. I haven't seen Logan. I'm so bored with Spider-Man that I'm giving that a pass until home video. Thor: Ragnarok is a cool trailer, but so is Justice League, and I hold little hope for either but I'll be in theaters for both.
Old 06-06-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I hold hope for Thor: Ragnarok primarily because of the director, I love Hunt for the Wilderpeople and liked What We Do in the Shadows, and I feel like he's the right guy to handle those characters.
Old 06-06-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Caught this tonight and liked it, but wasn't blown away by any means. Certainly better than recent DC films like BvS and Suicide Squad. What an odd casting choice for Ares. Like the actor, but physically just not right for the part. Danny Huston, while also a great actor, was a very forgettable villain. Gadot has sold me as WW...was very "meh" on the selection back when the casting was announced and her part in BvS wasn't big enough for me to make a decision on her.
Old 06-06-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Thor: Ragnarok is a cool trailer,
Originally Posted by RichC2
I hold hope for Thor: Ragnarok
Thor: Ragnarok indeed looks promising even to this non-MCU fan. They've struck out twice with Thor for me though, so here's hoping.
Old 06-06-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier today. Though it was alright.

Gadot was a great choice for Wonder Woman and I really loved Jenkin's eye on a good amount of the action scenes, especially the liberation of the village.

Casting David Thewlis was very strange and I couldn't shake his role as Remus Lupis (Harry Potter) in my head whenever I saw his face through the Ares armor. I understand why they probably didn't go with it but as goofy as the Ares real/fight was, I wish there was more of a focus on Doctor Poison as a stronger villain, as I really liked her visual re-design from her comic book iterations.

Also this is just nitpicking but does anyone get dirty in this film?
Old 06-07-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was the same old cookie cutter superhero film. I wish they would've played the fish out of water angle up more, and tried to be a little more charming, and less bad ass. I don't mean more chick flick stuff, there was plenty of that (trying on outfits, learning how to dance) But I'm tired of the hero leaping among flames fighting a giant godlike creature... hell I'd of rather see it end with a pie fight at the formal (which was a big set up that led to a big bunch of nothing), than to sit through another standard superhero climax ...

One other note, when she "becomes" Wonder Woman, that could have been a great moment, but the rhythm and slow motion just did not work...killed the emotion and momentum that was building at that moment ...
Old 06-07-17, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
One other note, when she "becomes" Wonder Woman, that could have been a great moment, but the rhythm and slow motion just did not work...killed the emotion and momentum that was building at that moment ...
If you're talking about the No Man's Land scene, I thought that was iconic and was utterly fantastic. So for me, exact opposite, lots of emotion and momentum leading to the freeing of the village and celebration.
Old 06-07-17, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes

I found an earlier posters complaint that "WWI era is uninteresting" almost comical as it was one of the absolute strengths of the film. Furthermore, I don't know if I've ever heard WW1 described as uninteresting.
This is actually sad, because...
Spoiler:
I thought they were in WW2

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good, but better than Logan, which was boring and pointless imho.
Old 06-07-17, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Curious, has DVD Talk stopped doing theatrical reviews? Didn't see any for Pirates 5, Baywatch or Wonder Woman.

And just when I post that, saw a review pop up for WW.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 06-07-17 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
If you're talking about the No Man's Land scene, I thought that was iconic and was utterly fantastic. So for me, exact opposite, lots of emotion and momentum leading to the freeing of the village and celebration.
Yes, and I think it could have been. My eyes welled when she makes the decision, but then she's moving sooooo slow for what felt like an eternity...
Old 06-07-17, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As the cliche goes, to each their own.
Old 06-07-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
My wife told me that the movie is banned in Lebanon because Gadot is Israeli. That's messed up.
It's a bit deeper than Gadot just being Israeli. Natalie Portman was born in Israel, yet her films have played without issues in Lebanon.

Gadot spent a (mandatory) 2 years in the IDF (Israeli Defense Force). She is also an outspoken Zionist, which is really the biggest issue here and is one of the reasons the film is banned in Lebanon, with Jordan possibly following suit.

Lebanon is in conflict with Israel and has a long history of Zionist Occupation, as does Jordan.

http://toofab.com/2017/06/02/wonder-...ews-criticism/

Last edited by asianxcore; 06-07-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I don't think they'll miss their money.
Old 06-07-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I've been seeing lotsa Anti-Israel and "I'm not gonna see WW because Gal Gadot is an ex-Israeli soldier!!" trolling on many of the DC FB Pages I'm on.
Old 06-07-17, 11:36 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've been seeing lotsa Anti-Israel and "Gal Gadot is an ex-Israeli soldier!!" trolling on some of the DC FB Pages I'm on.
Let this cheer you up: https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/...with-gal-gadot
Old 06-07-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It's a bit deeper than Gadot just being Israeli. Natalie Portman was born in Israel, yet her films have played without issues in Lebanon.

Gadot spent a (mandatory) 2 years in the IDF (Israeli Defense Force). She is also an outspoken Zionist, which is really the biggest issue here and is one of the reasons the film is banned in Lebanon, with Jordan possibly following suit.

Lebanon is in conflict with Israel and has a long history of Zionist Occupation, as does Jordan.

http://toofab.com/2017/06/02/wonder-...ews-criticism/
You gotta love how praying for the safety of your countrymen, so that they don't get blown up by Hamas (a terrorist organization), somehow makes you an "outspoken Zionist" to be feared and rejected
Old 06-07-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You gotta love how praying for the safety of your countrymen, so that they don't get blown up by Hamas (a terrorist organization), somehow makes you an "outspoken Zionist" to be feared and rejected
Again, it is much deeper than that. Any actual research into the Israel/Gaza Conflict in 2014 will reveal that, as there is a lot to dig into there.

I'm choosing not to argue with anyone here about it, just display reasons why countries such as Lebanon, (possibly Jordan), as well Algeria and Tunisia are banning this film (in regards to historic and current relations with Israel).

I'm not here to change anyone's mind or shame anyone for their point of view/opinions.

Back to talking about Wonder Woman! I think a friend of mine wants to see this again on Friday but at the Alamo Drafthouse, which should be a fun experience.
Old 06-07-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching the movie a second time really changed the way I watched the interactions between Diana, Hippolyta and Antiope (and others) on Themiscyra once you know about the God Killer.

It's one of those things where your initial reactions to things in the film can never be recreated on future viewings once certain elements are revealed.
Old 06-07-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Watching the movie a second time really changed the way I watched the interactions between Diana, Hippolyta and Antiope (and others) on Themiscyra once you know about the God Killer.

It's one of those things where your initial reactions to things in the film can never be recreated on future viewings once certain elements are revealed.
Yeah like everyone lying to Luke for 3 movies
Old 06-07-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yeah like everyone lying to Luke for 3 movies
Totally different...those were "from a certain point of view."
Old 06-07-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, it is much deeper than that. Any actual research into the Israel/Gaza Conflict in 2014 will reveal that, as there is a lot to dig into there.
I was referring SPECIFICALLY to her comment that has sparked this much ado about nothing, not the conflict at large. She simply wished safety to her countrymen and condemned Hamas. THAT'S IT. Nothing about the occupation, nothing about Israeli policy, nothing about Zionism period.

So tell me: how is she an "Outspoken Zionist"?
Old 06-07-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Back to talking about Wonder Woman! I think a friend of mine wants to see this again on Friday but at the Alamo Drafthouse, which should be a fun experience.
The pre-movie show is great. Of course, scenes of gladiator movies, Wonder Woman cartoons, the TV show plus scenes from two TV pilots that weren't picked up. Typical Drafthouse stuff

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.