Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
19.85%
19.85%
32.82%
11.45%
9.16%
1.53%
3.05%
0%
0.76%
0.76%
0.76%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I enjoyed it and gave it 4 stars, but I feel it would drop on a second viewing.

The lack of blood stands out in the swordfights, it felt like the first Captain America movie at times, and the tension in most action scenes would be gone.

I guess the best way to explain the last would be to imagine switching Superman with her in the fight scenes against regular people and think about whether it'd have the same effect. Because they're both basically invulnerable gods.
Old 06-02-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

I liked it, but I don't think it it is quite worthy of all the praise it is getting. Sure, it is the best DCU movie by a country mile, but it still wasn't as good as Logan was, IMHO. Gal Godot is perfect in every sense and she makes the movie. Pine was decent, with some good humor, which was appreciated. The fight scenes were pretty well choreographed and I enjoyed seeing her really show her skills. Overall, it is a step in the right direction for the DCU and is a very good movie, but not perfect.
Old 06-02-17, 02:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Um, she starts off as a child.
I'm pretty sure Conner MacLeod wasn't always an adult Christopher Lambert either. And we never see any "old" Amazonian women either; Diana's mom looks about the same age when Diana was a small child to becoming a woman, like all the other women.

She was partially made out of clay, so it goes without saying.
Old 06-02-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Robin Wright's character was showing some age.
Old 06-02-17, 02:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Robin Wright's character was showing some age.
I'd have to see it again, I'm missing something you saw I guess.
Old 06-02-17, 02:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The new DC intro was bad ass
Old 06-02-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

2nd Update, 11:50PM: Midday figures show Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman flying toward a $34M-$37.5M Friday, with a three-day projection of $86M on the low end and a potential shot at breaking into the low-to-mid-$90M range. This is a similar B.O. sphere to where Disney/Marvel’s Doctor Strange launched ($32.6M first day, $85M for the weekend) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($37.8M, $94.3M weekend), so a very healthy start for a new superhero franchise.
Old 06-02-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Immensely enjoyed this. Gadot and Pine were perfection and the ragtag crew of theirs had some highlights as well. The finale did go down familiar territory but there was enough emotion to make me forgive it. As much as I enjoyed MOS and BvS, and to a lesser extent Suicide Squad, hopefully this bodes well for the future (will just have to see how much of an influence, writing wise, Joss Whedon has on Justice League).

But, Wonder Woman was fantastic. Bring on the sequel but please take the time to write a kick ass script.
Spoiler:
Will be hard to top Pine, however.

****¼/*****, (A-, 8.4/10, 3.25/4)
Old 06-02-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
My wife was questioning this as well actually. Are they more "mortal" within the Themyscira bubble? But outside they're more...invulnerable? Kinda like Superman is on Krypton? Is it when you've reached your "prime", you just stop?

I'm not knowledgeable enough in WW lore to know these things.
Probably not something you're supposed to question... I assume they age differently, but Diana herself is a daughter of a god so, I'm sure she isn't under the same mortality rate as mortals. Not sure on the Amazonians. I'll agree Robin Wright looked like showed some age by the time she fought Diana.

Of course, that leads us to a question they didn't even address, which is WW existing in modern times having not aged a day.
Old 06-02-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
it still wasn't as good as Logan was, IMHO.
I loved Logan, but Wonder Woman was in another league for me. Part of the reason? It was just damn fun. Logan was dark & depressing and had far more drama than action. Wonder Woman just fires on all cylinders.
Old 06-02-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

I still think it hits $100 Mill despite with stingermck posted. Saturday will be like a Pixar movie.
Old 06-02-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I still think it hits $100 Mill despite with stingermck posted. Saturday will be like a Pixar movie.
Word of mouth should be good too. Hopefully it has legs as well. Not unlike Gal's.
Old 06-02-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Liked it but didn't love it. I enjoyed the lighthearted moments, but so many of them were given away in the trailers. My biggest gripe was the overuse of slow motion. Some questions:

What happened to the German ship that found Diana's island? Was the whole crew wiped out or did the ship leave? Wouldn't the survivors have reported the island to the German headquarters?

What power was keeping the island hidden (besides fog)?

Since most of the movie is simply Diana remembering the past after she sees the photograph, how could she have remembered scenes she wasn't in... like the bad guy talking alone with the scientist lady?

If Zeus brought Diana to life, did he bring all of the other Amazons to life as well (since there are no men on the island)?
Old 06-02-17, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Word of mouth should be good too. Hopefully it has legs as well. Not unlike Gal's.

Old 06-02-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm with Deftones. Good, but overpraised. The usual cliches prevented this from being the completely revolutionary superhero film that most people are saying it is, but at least I was most surprised by Gadot's performance (Aside from a few odd choices for her facial expressions on dramatic/combative moments) This ranks 3rd (After Logan, GOTG2) for 2017's comic-book movies for me, but I'm willing to bet that I'll end up liking this more than Homecoming.

Originally Posted by joe_b
The fight scenes were nicely choreographed, but all those slow down/speed up shots feel tired and cliched at this point.
I'm going back & forth on which frustrated me the most about this movie. ^That, or the bad CG doubles. Seriously, I swear I was taken back to 2003's CG more than once.

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
What happened to the German ship that found Diana's island? Was the whole crew wiped out or did the ship leave?
I noticed this too, but my friend said he saw the ship sinking.
Old 06-02-17, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Liked it but didn't love it. I enjoyed the lighthearted moments, but so many of them were given away in the trailers. My biggest gripe was the overuse of slow motion. Some questions:

What happened to the German ship that found Diana's island? Was the whole crew wiped out or did the ship leave? Wouldn't the survivors have reported the island to the German headquarters?
Don't remember

What power was keeping the island hidden (besides fog)?
Zues created a force field to keep it hidden.

Since most of the movie is simply Diana remembering the past after she sees the photograph, how could she have remembered scenes she wasn't in... like the bad guy talking alone with the scientist lady?
It's a plot device to get the story going, just kind of have to go with it.

If Zeus brought Diana to life, did he bring all of the other Amazons to life as well (since there are no men on the island)?
I can't be sure, I think I know but need to ponder it, they did go through the background of men and the Amazons, men ensalving them, Amazons fighting back and Zeus giving them the island to live on. But can't quite recall if he created them or what.
Old 06-02-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife was questioning this as well actually. Are they more "mortal" within the Themyscira bubble? But outside they're more...invulnerable? Kinda like Superman is on Krypton? Is it when you've reached your "prime", you just stop?
She's a demi-god. So she doesn't age but she can be killed since she's the daughter of Zeus and human like Hercules.The Amazon's aren't gods and age very, very slowly in Thymescira.

Been there, done that. The whole climactic battle was ugly and tedious to sit through - right out of a bad video game.
I felt the same way about the Guardians 2 finale.

Sure, it is the best DCU movie by a country mile, but it still wasn't as good as Logan was, IMHO.
Don't know if that's a fair comparison. Logan is like The Dark Knight. They were pretty much serious comic movie perfection. Wonder Woman wasn't trying to be that. Truthfully if you hold Logan up as a standard bearer pretty much every comic movie will fall short.

The new DC intro was bad ass
Yeah it was. I forgot to mention that in my review.

Everyone was wiped out and the ship was destroyed.

What power was keeping the island hidden (besides fog)
Zeus used fog and an illusion to keep the island hidden.

It's a plot device dude. But it's entirely possible that the scenes she wasn't in were her filling in the blanks in the story, or her thinking of things others have told her since.

No. Zeus brought Diana to life because Hippolyta wanted to have a baby daughter(the whole I made you from clay thing is accurate) and Zeus breathed life into Diana(making her the daughter of Zeus) as a thanks for the Amazons helping defeat Ares. After Ares fell Zeus hid Diana and Thymescira and left them in peace as well as to hide her from Ares since Diana is part god and could kill him. Personally, I wish they would skip the clay origin story and just say Zeus impregnated her.
Old 06-02-17, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

I am not trying to compare the type of movie that Logan is with WW. I am simply pointing out it is a better movie, in my opinion.
Old 06-02-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I fucking loved it and I'm so happy it was good. I can't wait to own the BD.

I was one of those that didn't think Gadot would make a good WW. But she proved me wrong.
Old 06-02-17, 08:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts

i'm seeing this Wed most probable. can't wait...
Old 06-02-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I am not trying to compare the type of movie that Logan is with WW. I am simply pointing out it is a better movie, in my opinion.
I do not think Logan is remotely close to Wonder Woman. Logan is what it is a very dark one note farewell to a beloved character but the movie itself is bland, ultra predictable and has an exceedingly tedious and trite end.It is massively overrated. It is a good film but far far from a great film even within the comic book genre.

Wonder Woman on the other hand is a joy, and one of the best superhero movies ever and possibly my favorite.

I think it is exciting, touching, funny, and engrossing. It is filled with good characters and anchored by two fantastic leads. It is taut and very well directed, and just fun to watch. It has an excellent script with very few eye rolling contrivances (unlike Logan and the stream of heavily mediocre movies the Marvel universe has since the first Avengers, GOTG excluded) and several truly memorable sequences including probably the best super hero reveal of any movie ever.

It has a heart, chemistry and a great vision. I enjoyed every second and hope to see more. It looked fantastic in 70mm. (The 10 minutes of 70mm Dunkirk footage they showed was a snorefest)

It is the best film I have seen this year and certainly the most enjoyable. Interestingly that means that Chris Pine has been in the best film I have seen the last 2 years.

Five stars for me and I very rarely feel a movie is that good.
Old 06-02-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Probably not something you're supposed to question... I assume they age differently, but Diana herself is a daughter of a god so, I'm sure she isn't under the same mortality rate as mortals. Not sure on the Amazonians. I'll agree Robin Wright looked like showed some age by the time she fought Diana.

Of course, that leads us to a question they didn't even address, which is WW existing in modern times having not aged a day.
Pretty clear that WW in the movie is a demi-god and immortal. She might be killable but the movie suggests otherwise.

Of course, she may age exactly like the Amazons which if you figure Robin Wright was about 50ish in the film would put their aging at around 10 years per millennium, meaning Diana would be roughly a year older in modern days compared to WW1
Old 06-02-17, 09:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts

Iron Man is my favorite with Civil War next. Wonder if this will sneak in...
Old 06-02-17, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Just got back from watching this. This easily tops the current crop of super hero movies for me (starting with Iron Man for Marvel and Man of Steel for DC). The chemistry between Gadot and Pine was great from the start, and good gravy...she is gorgeous.

It's not a perfect film, but it sure was fun, touching, sad and exciting. The humor was just right, and the crowd I saw it with was really into it. I'm not on any particular side of the DC v Marvel fence, I just like what I like. I enjoyed all the DC movies, with MOS being may favorite of that series until now. But, I can see why others have issues with them. If this is the direction they are steering the series, it's going to be fun to see.
Old 06-02-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,239 Likes on 4,260 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot. Yeah it was too long and too dark and gray in Europe, but it was a lot of fun with really great action pieces. The camera LOVES Gadot. She is just perfectly cast and makes you think of miraculous casting like Christopher Reeve -- just a home run. And Chris Pine is so charming and fun to watch.

My wife told me that the movie is banned in Lebanon because Gadot is Israeli. That's messed up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.