Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-18, 08:42 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old 07-23-18, 08:47 AM

Old 07-23-18, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Also comparing this to Sarah Silverman isn't analogous. She's known as a raunchy comedian and was known as such when she was hired to voice Vanellope. They knew what they were getting.
They knew what they were getting with Gunn as well. He had a past of hard "R" movies and got his start at Troma.
Old 07-23-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant' say I'm surprised by some of the comments in this thread. Someone makes jokes about fucking kids and gets fired, but hey, lets blame Trump. And people wonder why this site is going to shit.
Old 07-23-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Cant' say I'm surprised by some of the comments in this thread. Someone makes jokes about fucking kids and gets fired, but hey, lets blame Trump. And people wonder why this site is going to shit.
Uh... I don't want to get too political about this myself, but that's because the individual drumming up all this dirt has a clear motive against individuals like Gunn who were very vocal about Trump. There's a reason why it's brought up.
Old 07-23-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I'd normally agree but it fits this time. Dude makes crass jokes, apologizes, and six years later gets in trouble for them because his anti-Trump political comments triggered a vindictive alt-right Twitter Troll who brought them back to light.

I mean, there are a few angles you can read from that.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-23-18 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Not a lot of directors garner this much love and support from their cast.
Old 07-23-18, 10:08 AM

I love @jamesgunn. He’s a loyal friend, super talented, passionate and kind. I wanted to say something, here it is: Dear @disney, I would hate for you to come off as hypocritical so I’m suggesting that you remove my voice from an attraction that’s coming to your park. It’s called WORLD OF COLOR - VILLAINOUS, and I reprise the role of Pain, a role I played in HERCULES. You see here’s the deal, years ago I made a lot of sarcastically shocking and offensive jokes. Many that I’m embarrassed about now, and I’d hate to make you guys look bad seeing that I’m openly critical of the president and his administration, and you seem to be taking your lead from some of his radical fringe supporters. I think James Woods may have recorded a voice for this new attraction, too. Why not check out some of his whacky past tweets?! They’re a hoot! For the record I do stand with survivors of sexual abuse and I was wondering if you guys are still making money off of your movie POWDER? Asking for a friend. Thanks, Bobcat

A post shared by Bobcat Goldthwait (@bobcatgoldthwait) on <time style=" font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px;" datetime="2018-07-22T20:27:24+00:00">Jul 22, 2018 at 1:27pm PDT</time>

<script async defer src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>
Old 07-23-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'd normally agree but it fits this time. Dude makes crass jokes, six years later gets in trouble for them because his anti-Trump political comments triggered a vindictive alt-right Twitter Troll who brought them back to light.

You reap what you sow. He called out ABC to fire Barr and he had the same thing happen to him. I've been a fan of his since Tromeo & Juliet, so I know that he has a twisted sense of humor. Still, at least for me, making pedophile jokes repeatedly is pretty strange.
Old 07-23-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Eh, he made a few and apologized for it some time ago. Disney did what they had to do.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-23-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'd normally agree but it fits this time. Dude makes crass jokes, six years later gets in trouble for them because his anti-Trump political comments triggered a vindictive alt-right Twitter Troll who brought them back to light.

And the blackmail and invasion of privacy that likely took place. By an unrelenting rapist, nonetheless. Not a guy who makes rape-y jokes. But a guy who openly relishes in being a rapist. He's a major voice at Info Wars. And is well known for being the guy behind the Pizzagate hoax.

Disney executives got trolled. That's got to be embarrassing.

I haven't seen much blame placed on Trump (if any). Lots of blame to place on this alt-right douchebag (Mike Cernovich). Just speaking out against him can make you and me a target. He could be looking through my cell phone or remotely accessing my webcam right now. It's some creepy shit that you should all be worried about.
Old 07-23-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
And the blackmail and invasion of privacy that likely took place. By an unrelenting rapist, nonetheless. Not a guy who makes rape-y jokes. But a guy who openly relishes in being a rapist. He's a major voice at Info Wars. And is well known for being the guy behind the Pizzagate hoax.

Disney executives got trolled. That's got to be embarrassing.

I haven't seen much blame placed on Trump (if any). Lots of blame to place on this alt-right douchebag (Mike Cernovich). Just speaking out against him can make you and me a target. He could be looking through my cell phone or remotely accessing my webcam right now. It's some creepy shit that you should all be worried about.

again, if this was a pro trump person, everyone including the cast would be talking shit. But because this is someone different, all the love and such.

he made a stupid joke and apologized. Unfortunately again, DISNEY has to do right by their investors. So who cares
Old 07-23-18, 10:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Please take the political side of this discussion to the Political Forum. And if you think the site is "going to shit" why not do something constructive to add to the discourse instead of taking pot shots at other members?
Old 07-23-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Not a lot of directors garner this much love and support from their cast.
We're talking Hollywood. Where everyone "loves each other", but secretly hopes they all die horrible deaths for their own gain. These people would eat each others' children if it meant getting ahead in the industry.

I really don't put much substance into this lovefest.

In politics, the "outrage" is easy. In Hollywood, it's more complicated as it not only involves the behavior...but can involved political allegiances as well. We saw this very thing with other Hollywood participants, where mostly everyone was silent, and those who were not...were ostracized.

Would be nice if they'd get their act together and make some good movies, instead of the shitpiles that are manufactured.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-23-18 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
i will say this again.... if you are dumb and stupid, stay off of twitter. Its written in ink and cant be removed. To be blaming an right wing troll is stupid. He said it unfortunately. Yes he may have apologized but it doesnt change the fact that he did say it. Many others have apologized and then leads to same shit.

its unfortunate but celebs can be idiots at times.
I would be freaking terrified of twitter at this point if I had any kind of fame or notoriety. Rooker has the right idea. Just get off the darn thing. It's not worth the fallout if you dare say something that isn't PC. Paula Deen was crucified for something supposedly said decades ago. The age of the comment doesn't matter anymore. Apologies or making amends doesn't matter either. James Gunn may never get hired again over this which is incredibly unfair.

Anyone who uses twitter as just an outlet for their mind is asking for trouble.
Old 07-23-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I would be freaking terrified of twitter at this point if I had any kind of fame or notoriety. Rooker has the right idea. Just get off the darn thing. It's not worth the fallout if you dare say something that isn't PC. Paula Deen was crucified for something supposedly said decades ago. The age of the comment doesn't matter anymore. Apologies or making amends doesn't matter either. James Gunn may never get hired again over this which is incredibly unfair.

Anyone who uses twitter as just an outlet for their mind is asking for trouble.
What a silly thing to say. Millions of people manage to use Twitter without spouting racism or jokes about pedophiles.
Old 07-23-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
What a silly thing to say. Millions of people manage to use Twitter without spouting racism or jokes about pedophiles.
It still strikes me as saying something the instant it crosses your mind, without a filter, and recorded for all time. I realize that's the draw, but man people say some stupid things that they later try to retract.

Like the guy who sends angry emails to the boss before calming down and reading it over, just sends them as soon as he's done typing.
Old 07-23-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

remember that this is the industry that applauded the win of Roman Polanski even after the allegations of his crime.
Old 07-23-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Disney is going to buy a company that owns a TV show with this reoccurring character:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/BVlaS9zpnfW" width="480" height="394" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

via GIPHY

Old 07-23-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
again, if this was a pro trump person, everyone including the cast would be talking shit. But because this is someone different, all the love and such.

People seem to be glossing over this but I think it's a very valid point. If it were some right-leaning celebrity who made these comments, people most definitely would be out there with pitchforks calling for their head. But because it's some rags to riches nerd hero, it's okay and we should forgive and forget.

Disney did the right thing. All this talk of how embarrassing this is for them, and what a mistake it was, and how they should hire him back, or the cast should walk, or how people are going to boycott GoG3 is nonsense. A lot of people out there just aren't capable of taking a step back and having a pragmatic view of this situation.

And this thread is a great example of the fearmongering and panic in the Politics subforum. If that's your thing, I suggest you check it out.
Old 07-23-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
People seem to be glossing over this but I think it's a very valid point. If it were some right-leaning celebrity who made these comments, people most definitely would be out there with pitchforks calling for their head. But because it's some rags to riches nerd hero, it's okay and we should forgive and forget.

Disney did the right thing. All this talk of how embarrassing this is for them, and what a mistake it was, and how they should hire him back, or the cast should walk, or how people are going to boycott GoG3 is nonsense. A lot of people out there just aren't capable of taking a step back and having a pragmatic view of this situation.

And this thread is a great example of the fearmongering and panic in the Politics subforum. If that's your thing, I suggest you check it out.
Very good post.
Old 07-23-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper

Bad analogy.

If some one shows that they're capable of change and growth, and they've become a better person than they were 6 or 10 years go, why hold them accountable to who they WERE? It's like putting someone in prison again after time served.
Old 07-23-18, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

- or promoting a cause, social or political issue that I may not agree?

This thread alone shows that it is not worth it.
Old 07-23-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms
- or promoting a cause, social or political issue that I may not agree?

This thread alone shows that it is not worth it.
I think there are plenty of success stories out there where it has been worth it for people.
Old 07-23-18, 12:49 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

I think there are plenty of success stories out there where it has been worth it for people.
And yet what has taken over - and been the current topic in this thread?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.