Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-22, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts
re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Originally Posted by Mike86
I still really want to see it. I have a hard time believing it was that bad.
Yeah, I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as other movies that have come out over the last few years. I'm sure it's not as bad as some other movies that Warners will put out in the next couple of years. Going direct to HBO Max and DVD/Blu Ray makes a lot more sense than locking it away forever or destroying it.

Kind of makes me wonder if this is a marketing strategy...
Old 08-27-22, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm so sick of The Dark Knight Returns. I love it. Read it when it came out, month-to-month (along with Watchmen), 1986 was a pivotal year for DC fans. It redefined Batman not only for a generation but for generations afterward. It was monumental.

But it's been done. What I'd give to see a solid hybrid take on Batman that embraced both the vigilante of the night with pure comicbookery fun. Again, I think the Arkham City videogames got it right.
That's why I enjoyed reading Scott Snyder's run with Batman. Yes, his stories got plenty dark but he also embraced the goofy aspects of the character's mythos (like Kite Man). Heck, I loved his "conclusion", Batman: Last Knight on Earth. Supposedly Affleck's take was gonna aim for a Batman: The Animated Series vibe. I would've been all for that (despite really enjoying The Batman).
Old 08-28-22, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

WBD should give all the footage to the directors and let them crowdfund the completion of the film, with the condition that the movie is released for free for everyone when finished. That way WBD gets its tax write off, nobody else makes any money off the film (except for the talent being paid to finish it), and people get to see it.

Of course, that probably makes to much sense, especially as there's nothing financially in it for WBD, just overall consumer and industry goodwill, which they don't seem to understand.
Old 08-28-22, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

This kind of sucks

Old 08-28-22, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh. That's no worse than Pig Boy from Masters of the Universe (I imagine he was teased endlessly by his friends/classmates when he couldn't prove that was really him in the movie, despite his name in the end credits). I can see wanting her set pics but I see no reason to release the actual movie over this.
Old 09-09-22, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ct-1235214730/

We clearly misunderstood everything they’re doing. Now go back to watching Naked & Afraid.
Old 09-09-22, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Ah, the old blaming the fans for their questionable decisions tactic. Always a winner.
Old 09-09-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

We clearly misunderstood everything they’re doing. Now go back to watching Naked & Afraid.
In the old days, the studio heads all had one motto: "Let's make pictures!" Nowadays, it's "growing our content business."

Granted, the old studios had plenty of franchises, or "IP," too. MGM had Tarzan and Andy Hardy, Universal had Frankenstein, Dracula, the Wolfman, the Mummy, Flash Gordon, and the Green Hornet. Columbia had the DC comics serials, Batman and Superman, among others. Republic had Captain Marvel, Captain America and, initially, at least, Dick Tracy. But these things cost peanuts. The studio heads didn't have to go to Wall Street with hat in hand to get their approval.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-09-22)
Old 09-09-22, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

“Clearly the course corrections, making changes quickly where we don’t agree with the track that WarnerMedia was on, that took a lot of courage and execution early,” Wiedenfels said, adding of Batgirl specifically: “I don’t think it is unusual. We are a creative industry, and one of the elements of creativity is that there is judgment and views on what the potential of what a certain piece of IP might be.”
This is a bullshit statement - it is very unusual to take a movie all the way to the finish line and then can it. This reads like they just opted not to move forward with a script.

Also, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring to manage the DC movies. I'll approve only good movies and not approve movies that aren't good. It'll be a real change of pace.
Old 09-09-22, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Ah, the old blaming the fans for their questionable decisions tactic. Always a winner.
The Star Wars maxim: The problem isn't that we're making shitty movies, the problem is our fanbase is toxic.
Old 09-09-22, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Star Wars maxim: The problem isn't that we're making shitty movies, the problem is our fanbase is toxic.
Let’s be clear - that fan base IS toxic. They are literally driving actors out of the franchise.
The following 3 users liked this post by Draven:
IBJoel (09-09-22), John Pannozzi (09-10-22), majorjoe23 (09-10-22)
Old 09-10-22, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

Aren't all fanboys on the web toxic? When are the studios going to learn to ignore them?

From Forbes:

‘The Boys’ To ‘The Rings Of Power:’ Everyone Is Tired Of Toxic Fans"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidip...h=346543473088
Old 09-10-22, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Aren't all fanboys on the web toxic?
No. However there's a large and loud enough number of them that make other fans look bad by perceived association.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-10-22 at 10:28 AM.
John Pannozzi (09-10-22)
Old 09-10-22, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Aren't all fanboys on the web toxic? When are the studios going to learn to ignore them?
I wish more companies did, as the online crowd is in no way representative of the far larger general public.

And that goes for the online noise about this film as well. They should ignore it and continue with their plans.
The following 2 users liked this post by Artman:
John Pannozzi (09-10-22), RocShemp (09-10-22)
Old 09-10-22, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 379 Posts

The new Star Wars films are shit. That being said, I keep my complaining about them being shit to sites like this and not going after the actors/writers/directors/producers. Harassing Rian Johnson on Twitter because The Last Jedi is a turd isn't going to accomplish anything, bitching about it here isn't either except to have a discussion about it.
John Pannozzi (09-11-22)
Old 09-10-22, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
No. However there's a large and loud enough number of them that make other fans look bad by perceived association.
Fans have always been bitchy. Star Wars fans. Trekkies. Whovians. Hell, look at sports fans.

One difference is that now we have social media, so what was once confined to comic book shops and usenet is now front and center on facebook and twitter.

Another difference is that there are a lot of bad actors with political agendas out there riling people up and adding to the public noise. Some of these people might be fans, either hardcore or casual, but many are just assholes with an agenda using criticism to further their beliefs. They struck gold with 2016's Ghostbusters, and they're out there targeting any high profile targets where they can sow division and controversy. Movies are no longer bad because of bad writing, bad direction, or bad planning -- they're bad because they're "woke." These agents have been very successful at weaponizing film criticism.

And with social media being what it is, Hollywood is going to be paying close attention to what's going on on youtube, twitter, facebook, and instagram instead of ignoring the bullshit.
John Pannozzi (09-11-22)
Old 01-31-23, 12:13 PM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts
Re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Warner Bros. faced controversy in summer 2022 when it axed a “Batgirl” feature film despite it being nearly finished. But Peter Safran, the new co-chairperson and CEO of DC Studios alongside James Gunn, said it was the right decision at a press event on the Warner Bros. lot on Jan. 30.

“Batgirl’s a character that inevitably we will include in our story,” he said. “On the Batgirl front, it’s not about late in the process of the film getting canceled. I saw the movie, and there are a lot of incredibly talented people in front of and behind the camera on that film. But that film was not releasable, and it happens sometimes. That film was not releasable. I actually think that [president and CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery David] Zaslav and the team made a very bold and courageous decision to cancel it because it would have hurt DC. It would have hurt those people involved.”

“I think that they really stood up to support DC,” he continued. “The characters, the story, the quality of all of that. I spoke to Adil [El Arbi] and Bilall [Fallah] — the directors — last week, we were chatting. We’d love to be in business with all those folks. Christina Hodson wrote it. Some people are already back in business with us. As I said, a lot of talented people were involved, but the film just was not releasable. It would not have been able to compete in the theatrical marketplace; it was built for the small screen. So, again, I think it was not an easy decision, but they made the right decision by shelving it.”

Safran and Gunn discussed many of DC Studios’ upcoming projects at the press event, including future films, television series and animated ventures.
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/b...ran-1235506921
Old 01-31-23, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

"It would not have been able to compete in the theatrical marketplace; it was built for the small screen."

Wasn't it originally planned for HBO Max then announced to be theatrical?
You know, you could have.....moved it back to HBO Max
The following 6 users liked this post by Deftones:
Giantrobo (01-31-23), Jay G. (01-31-23), JeremyM (02-01-23), majorjoe23 (01-31-23), milo bloom (01-31-23), stingermck (01-31-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-23, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Sunk cost fallacy aside, it feels absurd to have a product so close to completion and not do something with it. HBOMax for sure and a nice Blu-ray release would at least keep the character in front of people's eyes.
JeremyM (02-01-23)
Old 01-31-23, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 405 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
"It would not have been able to compete in the theatrical marketplace; it was built for the small screen."

Wasn't it originally planned for HBO Max then announced to be theatrical?
You know, you could have.....moved it back to HBO Max
I think it's just a polite way to say the movie is garbage and was beyond repair. I'd rather not have watched the last Fantastic Four. That movie was unwatchable and Fox released it anyway.
Old 01-31-23, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I think it's just a polite way to say the movie is garbage and was beyond repair. I'd rather not have watched the last Fantastic Four. That movie was unwatchable and Fox released it anyway.
Fox had less choice, since at the time they weren't part of Disney, and thus had a "use it or lose it" license for The Fantastic Four characters; similar to X-Men for them and Spider-man for Sony, they have to keep making movies featuring those characters to maintain the license.
Old 01-31-23, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts

If the new bosses thought the movie sucked, we are probably better off not seeing it. Money spent aside, it's better to have pride in your work than just releasing something because it's there. There's literally thousands of TV pilots with big name stars, directors and writers and such that are filmed every year that never see the light of day. Someone decided they weren't worth putting out in the market and weren't worth making into a full series.

I've read multiple reports that WB had test screenings for it and those who saw it said it wasn't good and looked cheap.
Old 01-31-23, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway

Yeeeeeeah buuuuut it makes perfect sense to lie to everyone and claim it was bad in this case when you really only shelved it for tax reasons. I mean, we will never know if it was bad or good, even though some asshats claim they can tell from BTS still shots
Old 01-31-23, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,130 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Sunk cost fallacy aside, it feels absurd to have a product so close to completion and not do something with it. HBOMax for sure and a nice Blu-ray release would at least keep the character in front of people's eyes.
If their new business philosophy is not to put lousy movies out just to put them out and see what $ they can get back on them, only to turn around two years later and throw another reimagining of the character at he wall to see what sticks, then I am okay with that.
RocShemp (02-13-23)
Old 01-31-23, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 405 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeeeeeeah buuuuut it makes perfect sense to lie to everyone and claim it was bad in this case when you really only shelved it for tax reasons. I mean, we will never know if it was bad or good, even though some asshats claim they can tell from BTS still shots
It's also polite and well advised to tell your new boss, he made the right decision. You may start to disagree with him, when you have something to show for. So even if the movie is a masterpiece, which it probably isn't, I wouldn' expect Gunn and Safran to back Zaslav's decision at this point in their relationship.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.