Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

All The Money In The World (2017, D: Ridley Scott) S: Williams, Wahlberg, NOT Spacey

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

All The Money In The World (2017, D: Ridley Scott) S: Williams, Wahlberg, NOT Spacey

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: All The Money In The World (2017, D: Ridley Scott) S: Williams, Wahlberg, NOT Spa

Just finished watching the movie and it was pretty good. Plummer was fantastic and I can see how he and Williams were nominated for awards. Great stuff.
Old 04-08-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: All The Money In The World (2017, D: Ridley Scott) S: Williams, Wahlberg, NOT Spa

I caught this on a plane and really liked it. Funny being in Southern California and knowing about the Getty museum and I never knew anything about JPG or the kidnapping.
Old 04-08-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I ended up reading JPG's book called "How To Be Rich." It was a great read -- I think he wrote it and Playboy published it back in the early 60's. I've yet to visit the Getty Museum, though.
Old 04-16-18, 09:33 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I enjoyed this for the most part, but that fictionalized ending was pretty terrible.
Old 04-16-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I enjoyed this for the most part, but that fictionalized ending was pretty terrible.
Felt the same way. They could've showed how Paul got back as it really happened and it would've been fine. The BS ending didn't really add much entertainment anyway.

Plus Getty Sr. dying at the same time instead of the accurate 3 years later was dumb. Plus a bunch of other things.

Artistic license should be used very sparingly for minor things. It shouldn't change important details of main events. It doesn't have to be a documentary to be accurate.
Old 04-16-18, 01:31 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The new Getty is amazing, but the old Getty in Pacific Palisades is the real deal. It was actually built by the man himself.
Old 04-22-18, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched last night.
Definitely worth the price of a ticket.
Fine acting and suspenseful throughout.
Cinematography was beautiful.
The fiction can be overlooked for the sake of the drama.
RS does a very good job telling this tragic story.
It's a shame it didn't get more nominations.
I suspect the Kevin Spacey scandel tainted the movie in the minds of voters.
Old 05-05-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Received a press release for the Blu-ray and unlike some studios that ignore re-shoots (*cough* Warner *cough*), there apparently is a featurette on the recasting:
Probably would never happen but would be fun to see a cut of the movie with Spacey in it.
Old 05-05-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AND creepy...
Old 07-17-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: All The Money In The World (2017, D: Ridley Scott) S: Williams, Wahlberg, NOT Spacey

So can we get the Spacey cut now?

Charge against Kevin Spacey dropped after alleged victim pleads the 5th
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ped/index.html
Old 07-17-19, 06:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: All The Money In The World (2017, D: Ridley Scott) S: Williams, Wahlberg, NOT Spacey

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You think that would be better than an Oscar nominated Plummer? Who cares at this point? I’m sure he made some kind of deal with the victims, but would you want to see him in anything now? I don’t. I’ll watch the old stuff, but no interest in future...
Old 07-17-19, 06:47 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
You think that would be better than an Oscar nominated Plummer? Who cares at this point? I’m sure he made some kind of deal with the victims, but would you want to see him in anything now? I don’t. I’ll watch the old stuff, but no interest in future...
well that's hypocritical.
Old 07-17-19, 06:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

no, what i'm saying is he made a fine body of work (yes, while stuff was going on), but prior to allegations. the body of work is acting. i'm not going to boycott the stuff i loved like Usual Suspects or Seven or American Beauty or House of Cards or anything else. but, going forward i have no interest in watching, what most likely is a sick man with some kind of obsession or support his work here forward...
Old 07-17-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those inclined to read the article before replying would see it became clear the alleged victim deleted information from their phone before handing it over as evidence. So no, a deal was not reached.

I’m sure Spacey is slimy as fuck, but he wasn’t convicted of anything then and he won’t be now. So explain again why his career was destroyed before his day in court?
Old 07-17-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The article mentions there's still allegations in the UK to be dealt with. So Spacey's not in the clear yet.

Anyway, Ridley Scott wanted Christoper Plummer in the first place, and Plummer's performance was rightly praised. If Spacey's performance ever surfaces, it would likely be as "deleted/alternate scenes" in Blu-ray extrras,or maybe as clips in a documentary about the film, sort of like the Eric Stolz Back to the Future footage. And even then, we may not see it for a decade or more.
Old 07-17-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Point is, innocent until proven guilty would be nice. Instead we get bullshit virtual trials of public opinion on Twitter. Fuck social media so hard.

i don’t doubt Plummer was better but it should have never happened.
Old 07-18-19, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Point is, innocent until proven guilty would be nice..
In the court of law, sure. However, this wasn't a single legal case. When an actor has allegations of abuse numbering in the dozens, it seems readily apparent that something is going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_...ct_allegations
[In 2017] Fifteen others then came forward alleging similar abuse, including Boston anchorwoman Heather Unruh (who alleged that Spacey sexually assaulted her son); Norwegian author and former royal family member Ari Behn; filmmaker Tony Montana; actor Roberto Cavazos; Richard Dreyfus’ son Harry; and eight people who worked on House of Cards. The Guardian was contacted by "a number of people" who alleged that Spacey "groped and behaved in an inappropriate way with young men" as artistic director of the Old Vic. On November 16, the Old Vic confirmed that it had received 20 testimonies of alleged inappropriate behavior by Spacey, with three persons stating that they had contacted the police. In December, Spacey's Usual Suspects co-star Gabriel Byrne revealed that production on that film was shut down for two days because Spacey made unwanted sexual advances toward a younger actor.....

The Los Angeles District Attorney's office stated in April 2018 that it would investigate an allegation that Spacey had sexually assaulted an adult male in 1992. In July 2018, three more allegations of sexual assault against Spacey were revealed by Scotland Yard, bringing the total number of open investigations in the UK to six. In September 2018, a lawsuit filed at Los Angeles Superior Court claimed that Spacey sexually assaulted an unnamed masseur at a house in Malibu, California, in October 2016.
This is a bit like when the Bill Cosby accusations started coming out. Sure, one or even two allegations could be suspect, but the shear preponderance of allegations make it seem that definitely something is up.

Anywway, further talk about Spacey's alleged actions is probably better suited for the general "Sexual Harassment/Assault in Hollywood" thread;
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...iscussion.html

In regards to this film, they made a decision that, at the time, was what they felt was the best thing to do to get the film released, and it resulted in an Oscar nominated performance. It's thus highly doubtful Ridley Scott or the producers or studio feel a need, or even desire, to make the full alternate cut with Spacey's scenes available anytime soon.
Old 07-18-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
In regards to this film, they made a decision that, at the time, was what they felt was the best thing to do to get the film released, and it resulted in an Oscar nominated performance. It's thus highly doubtful Ridley Scott or the producers or studio feel a need, or even desire, to make the full alternate cut with Spacey's scenes available anytime soon.
Yep. Scott and company made it out of an ugly situation relatively unscathed, and thanks to Plummer’s Oscar nod probably came out a little ahead, I don’t see what reason they would have to intentionally stir up more controversy by releasing the Spacey Cut. It’s not exactly like the general public is clamoring to see it (hell, most of them have probably already forgetting about this movie anyway). Even the small group of people who do want to see it mostly want to watch for the curiosity factor more than anything.
Old 07-18-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
In the court of law, sure. However, this wasn't a single legal case. When an actor has allegations of abuse numbering in the dozens, it seems readily apparent that something is going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_...ct_allegations

This is a bit like when the Bill Cosby accusations started coming out. Sure, one or even two allegations could be suspect, but the shear preponderance of allegations make it seem that definitely something is up.

Anywway, further talk about Spacey's alleged actions is probably better suited for the general "Sexual Harassment/Assault in Hollywood" thread;
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...iscussion.html

So guilty until proven innocent is what we do because of allegations. Got it.

I don't really have much else to say, but if I do, I'll do it here unless a mod or admin requests it be moved elsewhere.
Old 07-18-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

did not read the article so I'm not sure it mentions this or not, but a big part of why the case was dismissed was the accuser took the 5th when questioned on the stand. That seems a bit unusual to me and I have to wonder why this shit show actually went to trial if the accuser was too afraid to incriminate themselves in the process of "finding justice." Seems fishy to me not to say Spacey isn't a slime ball but this does not add up, I've really enjoyed Spacey's work for years and found myself troubled trying to watch say the Usual Suspects when it was on cable a while ago but it did still pull me in as did Baby Driver or whatever that film was called...
Old 07-18-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Those inclined to read the article before replying would see it became clear the alleged victim deleted information from their phone before handing it over as evidence. So no, a deal was not reached.

I’m sure Spacey is slimy as fuck, but he wasn’t convicted of anything then and he won’t be now. So explain again why his career was destroyed before his day in court?

If there were no other allegations maybe he would be back working in movies again since that trial was a sham.