Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
7.14%
21.43%
7.14%
7.14%
35.71%
What are you high?
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by nando820
Every year there is always these type of comments of "it used to be so fun back in my day". The Oscars haven't changed one bit, people just got old and bored with it.
Not true. Now get off my lawn and turn down that darn radio! All the songs sound exactly the same!
Old 03-01-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Things I learned about the Oscars from the Adam Carolla podcast:

1. Jimmy asked Carolla to be a joke writer for the show.
2. During dress rehearsal an enormous portion of the set collapsed. It would have fallen on Jimmy had he not been rehearsing for a bit out in the audience. They wanted to use the footage of the collapse during the live broadcast. Adam wrote a dozen jokes about it. The Academy would not allow any discussion of the accident and the bit was scraped.
3. Many (perhaps even most) of the Trump jokes were written by Adam. I wouldn't say he's a Trump supporter, but he is soft on Trump, had him on his podcast during the campaign, and has defended some of his actions. Interesting that the Trump jabs were not written by a person with deep resentment for the dude.
4. With only three more awards to go, Adam told Jimmy, "This is it. You can just coast from here on out. All that's left is saying good night." This naturally cursed Jimmy and the ensuing blunder had to happen.
What little jabs there were were just that. Harmless jabs. Conservatives are too sensitive. They can dish it for 8 years, no prob, but they sure as hell can't take it.

I thought it was one of the better Oscars in years because of Kimmel, and I'm not even a fan. That being said, it really did need an opening number or skit of some kind. Timberlake was fine, but this isn't the Grammy's.
Old 03-01-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What little jabs there were were just that. Harmless jabs. Conservatives are too sensitive. They can dish it for 8 years, no prob, but they sure as hell can't take it.
I'm a Conservative and I thought Kimmel's Trump jokes were very funny. What my problem is that these same comedians didn't go after Obama for 8 years. That is why Republicans get mad and don't watch these shows (or even late night in many respects) because they are so one sided.

I always go back to Johnny Carson as you never knew his politics. He would rib on whoever was President, VP, or any politican so neither side could get offended. And don't tell me that Trump makes it easy to make jokes about, as every President can be easily ridiculed if you are original enough. Dana Carvey invented 'Not gonna do it' or 'Wouldn't be prudent' when he impersonated Bush 41, yet it didnt' resemble the President's personality one bit. You can mock any politican if you have good enough writers, the problem is the current comedians are unabasted liberals so they are going to be one sided.
Old 03-01-17, 01:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I forgot how pretentious these people really are (especially the Best Supporting Women Actress who said ONLY actors celebrate life or some bullshit like that).
Maybe pay attention to what she actually said instead of shitting all over it? 0:55
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHTXbGG68T8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"I became an artist, and thank God I did, because we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life. So here's to August Wilson who exhumed and exalted the ordinary people."

- didn't say "actors"
- said "artists"
- didn't say "celebrate life"
- said "celebrates what it means to live a life"

So yeah, just "some bullshit like that." (despite totally different meanings)
Old 03-01-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

That being said, it really did need an opening number or skit of some kind. Timberlake was fine, but this isn't the Grammy's.
It made for one less nominated song to do DURING the ceremonies.
Old 03-01-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Timberlake was fine, but this isn't the Grammy's.
It was a nominated song!
Old 03-01-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Maybe pay attention to what she actually said instead of shitting all over it? 0:55
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHTXbGG68T8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"I became an artist, and thank God I did, because we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life. So here's to August Wilson who exhumed and exalted the ordinary people."

- didn't say "actors"
- said "artists"

That is still a pretentious and self-important statement. I think many doctors could say the same thing. But having said that, I must admit I greatly admire her trapezius muscles.
Old 03-01-17, 02:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
That is still a pretentious and self-important statement. I think many doctors could say the same thing.
I agree that it's debatable, at least. I think Doctors in particular celebrate and prolong life, sure, but I'm not sure their profession is to celebrate what it means to live a life. Now, I don't know if all artists would fall into that category either; many artists demonstrably do not appear to celebrate what it means to live a life.
Anyway, my main intent was to post the exact statement she made, since I didn't think it was wise to base an opinion on a slightly twisted version of that.
Either way, I don't think her statement is pretentious, even if it's potentially inaccurate.
But having said that, I must admit I greatly admire her trapezius muscles.
My wife said the same. Well, she didn't say 'trapezius' but she said 'she looks strong!"
Old 03-01-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes an artist just celebrates a bowl of fruit.

Old 03-01-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan

- didn't say "actors"
- said "artists"

It's funny how you left out that she said 'Only' in her speech. If she said that her profession was something she got into because of that reason, then I would be fine with it. But when she said 'Only' then she puts her profession on a pedestal.
Old 03-01-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is bordering on hilarious. Now there are photos being released backstatge of him tweeting, and mixing up the envelopes. Yes, seriously.

Him tweeting.

If those don't show up here's the link.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/osca...n=true#image=1

I'm a Conservative and I thought Kimmel's Trump jokes were very funny. What my problem is that these same comedians didn't go after Obama for 8 years. That is why Republicans get mad and don't watch these shows (or even late night in many respects) because they are so one sided.

I always go back to Johnny Carson as you never knew his politics. He would rib on whoever was President, VP, or any politican so neither side could get offended. And don't tell me that Trump makes it easy to make jokes about, as every President can be easily ridiculed if you are original enough. Dana Carvey invented 'Not gonna do it' or 'Wouldn't be prudent' when he impersonated Bush 41, yet it didnt' resemble the President's personality one bit. You can mock any politican if you have good enough writers, the problem is the current comedians are unabasted liberals so they are going to be one sided.
I agree with this 100%. Letterman, Conan and Leno had no problems making fun of both parties. Now everyone is so liberal they only make fun of one side. The SNL Trump/Hilary skits are proof of that.
Old 03-01-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I want to disagree with you, but you probably right
Old 03-01-17, 03:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That link wants my MSN password. Not gonna do it!
Old 03-01-17, 03:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

It's funny how you left out that she said 'Only' in her speech.
I left it out? It's right there in the quote.
If she said that her profession was something she got into because of that reason, then I would be fine with it. But when she said 'Only' then she puts her profession on a pedestal.
I mean... she was at a ceremony where artists of all kinds in the film industry were being celebrated for their work. The entire ceremony was three hours of putting their chosen professions on a pedestal... that's what the Oscars (and any awards ceremony for any industry, really...) have always been.

Are you saying there ARE professions, other than artists, that specifically "celebrate what it means to live a life?" I'm not saying there aren't, even if I can't personally think of any off-hand, although I haven't thought about it.

If her statement upsets you, that's fine. I was more interested in an explanation of why, though. She starts her speech specifically talking about telling the stories of the people that have come and gone; that's what led directly into the statement we're discussing; they go hand-in-hand. Is it not important to have artists telling the stories of real humans' lives? Is it really 'pretentious' to suggest that that's the reason many (not all. She didn't say all) artists do what they do? Because there's no other non-artistic outlet where those stories can be told? Are you suggesting that it's pretentious because she actually gives a shit?

Sorry if I'm coming off the wrong way. Just trying to get to the meat of the issue.
Old 03-01-17, 03:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

She did say "artists" which is a pretty broad brush (so to speak).
Old 03-01-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

A well-written article about Mr. Chazelle and Mr. Jenkins the morning after the best picture award debacle:

http://variety.com/2017/film/feature...ew-1201999305/
Old 03-01-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
She did say "artists" which is a pretty broad brush (so to speak).
Are you calling artists fat?
Old 03-01-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/osca...yQx?li=BBnb7Kz

Academy Boots Both PwC Accountants From Next Year’s Oscars

Brian Cullinan and Martha Ruiz, the two PwC accountants who worked on this year’s Oscar telecast that ended in chaos when the wrong Best Picture was announced, will not be working on next year’s show, Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs announced Wednesday.

Cullinan, a 32-year veteran of the accounting firm formerly known as Pricewaterhousecoopers, had worked on the Academy Awards for four years but shouldered much of the blame for handing the wrong envelope to presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway.

That resulted in “La La Land” incorrectly being announced as Best Picture instead of actual winner “Moonlight.”

Cullinan may have been distracted by social media — just a few minutes before the fateful mishap, he tweeted a photo of Best Actress winner Emma Stone (which was subsequently deleted).
Old 03-01-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,073 Posts

^ That sucks for Martha Ruiz. I'm not sure how the fault could lie with her at all. It all falls on Cullinan, IMO. Maybe there's more that I'm not aware of, like Ruiz and Cullinan were supposed to properly discard the unused envelopes after each category or something.
Old 03-01-17, 07:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Best Oscar moment since the streaker and they fire the guy? I loved it.
Old 03-01-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

He'll be back next year ... Broken down mentally and broke, he will be a streaker.
Old 03-01-17, 11:20 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ That sucks for Martha Ruiz. I'm not sure how the fault could lie with her at all. It all falls on Cullinan, IMO. Maybe there's more that I'm not aware of, like Ruiz and Cullinan were supposed to properly discard the unused envelopes after each category or something.
It's mostly Cullinan's fault, but the La La Land producers were on stage for far too long before anyone from PwC came out on stage with the correct envelope, and that's on both Cullinan and Ruiz.
Old 03-02-17, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Ruiz should have done something quicker as she knew who the correct winner was too. One wonders what the hell she was doing during this time.
Old 03-02-17, 09:27 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
It's mostly Cullinan's fault, but the La La Land producers were on stage for far too long before anyone from PwC came out on stage with the correct envelope, and that's on both Cullinan and Ruiz.
"Too long". How long is too long? I was fascinated. Very entertaining. It helped that the LA La Land guy was like the most magnanimous guy on earth.
Old 03-02-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They were talking to the stage manager for a few moments. The first guy you see run out had headphones on, so the accountants explained it to him first then he ran out and they followed. Probably the right call vs just barging out there unannounced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.