Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nightwing (D: Chris McKay)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Warner Bros. Plotting 'Nightwing' Movie With 'Lego Batman Movie' Director (Exclusive)

Warner Bros. is plotting a new DC superhero film based on the Batman-centric character Nightwing.

Chris McKay, who most recently directed The Lego Batman Movie for Warner Bros., is in negotiations to helm the new film, and Bill Dubuque (The Accountant) is writing the script.

McKay has already directed a film with Dick Grayson in it: The character appeared in Lego Batman, as Robin, and was voiced by Michael Cera.

The character of Robin has yet to officially appear in the new Warner Bros. movies, although his graffiti-covered suit was shown in Batman v. Superman, and director Zack Snyder has said that at that point in time Robin had been killed by the Joker (there have been multiple Robins over the years in the comics, and Snyder did not say which one was killed by the Joker in his film). It's unclear where this new Nightwing story will fit in on the timeline.

The Nightwing project joins Warner Bros.' growing DC Extended Universe as the studio focuses on mining some of DC's most beloved characters for new films (as an example, Gotham City Sirens, with David Ayer attached to direct, will focus on the female villains of the universe, including Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn).
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...irector-978737

One minor quibble with that story, the suit in BvS was Jason Todd's Robin...
Old 02-23-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Nightwing (D: Chris McKay)

^^^^No, it wasn't. He still had the original Robin costume when the Joker killed him. The one BvS looks more like Tim Drake's costume.
Old 02-23-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I always thought a Nightwing spinoff featuring JGL's character from The Dark Knight Rises would have been a cool continuation of that particular Batman cinematic universe, but that ship has sailed. Can't say I'm particularly interested in this at first blush.
Old 02-23-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
^^^^No, it wasn't. He still had the original Robin costume when the Joker killed him. The one BvS looks more like Tim Drake's costume.
Yes it was.

I remember there was a tweet sent out by Warner's (well the BvS official twitter account) on the day of Todd's death in the comics with a picture of that costume.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/BatmanvSuperman/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 02-23-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Yes it was.

I remember there was a tweet sent out by Warner's (well the BvS official twitter account) on the day of Todd's death in the comics with a picture of that costume.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/BatmanvSuperman/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Well, I was going by this. Any alterations to this is BS to me. Besides, I don't keep up with the stupid reboots that have been going on.

Old 02-23-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Relating what happens in the comics with what you see in the movies doesn't make much sense to me, knowing that the movies are just loosely adapting their stories and doing it's own thing. Especially costume wise.

I'd love to see a Nightwing movie, but as i've mentioned before I wish it would happen organically and getting to actually see Dick as Robin before moving on.
Old 02-23-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I was probably the only guy in the audience for Dark Knight Rises cheering what was an
Spoiler:
obvious Robin/Nightwing introduction at the end.
I guess I should have token that as a cue to sit down, but whatcha going to do.

Anyway, I would absolutely kill for a Nightwing movie and really cross my fingers that they do it right. Please don't screw it up, please don't screw it up. Oh...who am I kidding? It's movie related, they will probably screw it up. But I'll still see it regardless. One can hope though.
Old 02-23-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Anyway, I would absolutely kill for a Nightwing movie and really cross my fingers that they do it right. Please don't screw it up, please don't screw it up. Oh...who am I kidding? It's movie related, they will probably screw it up. But I'll still see it regardless. One can hope though.
True. I'd like to think they're getting their act together (i.e. focus on solo movies rather than force world-building) but it's still Warner. Who knows, maybe the impending merger will shake things up.
Old 02-23-17, 04:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Shawn Wayans or no sale!
Old 02-23-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I would rather have a Batman Beyond movie.
Old 02-23-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I like Dick Grayson so it pains me to say this, but without Robin at least appearing in this universe and growing up in front of us, I don't see how they're going to prevent this from being looked at as "Batman lite."
Old 02-23-17, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I would assume that Dick Grayson will at least be making an appearance in the Batman movie before this one comes out.
Old 02-23-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I like Dick Grayson so it pains me to say this, but without Robin at least appearing in this universe and growing up in front of us, I don't see how they're going to prevent this from being looked at as "Batman lite."
Don't worry, they'll shoehorn Dick into The Batman and then they'll "flesh him out" through flashbacks in the Nightwing movie. Unlike Batman I think we need some emotional investment in Nightwing. We'd have had that if they continued the Nolan story line.
Old 02-23-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm interested but I really think a lot of the problem with DC films is that they just jump in without building things up. There's so much that could realistically be done with Batman and his side heroes and villains alone that it's almost kind of foolish how they're wasting opportunities. You could do a couple Batman only films, add Robin for a film or two and then eventually have him become Nightwing and then go from there (possibly add a second Robin or Batgirl).
Old 02-24-17, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
You could do a couple Batman only films, add Robin for a film or two and then eventually have him become Nightwing and then go from there (possibly add a second Robin or Batgirl).
Sounds familiar.

Im a huge Robin/Nightwing fan so hopefully they can pull this off. Some flashbacks of him as Robin during the film would be great.
Old 02-24-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but just because it wasn't well done once doesn't mean the potential to do it better isn't there. Batman has such a wealth of characters (both heroes and villains) that you could easily start a series of films off of and have them go on for a long time. Hell I mentioned in another thread that you could basically forget the DCEU and do a Batman cinematic universe and it would be as interesting or probably almost more interesting.
Old 02-24-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Another comic book movie?? I was hoping for a remake of this:

Loved that book as a kid.
Old 02-24-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't believe it will come out, but I'm a big fan of Nightwing and hope it does.
Old 02-24-17, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

If it were to happen, I'd be down for Steven Yeun to play the part.

I bet he could definitely pull off being Nightwing.
Old 02-25-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
If it were to happen, I'd be down for Steven Yeun to play the part.

I bet he could definitely pull off being Nightwing.
He'd be a better Terry McGinnis. And he'd have an Asian gf.
Old 02-27-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Don't worry, they'll shoehorn Dick into The Batman
giggity..
Old 07-19-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DUNKIRK's Barry Keoghan Has His Eye On ROBIN Role, And It Sounds Like He Might Have Spoken To WB About It

During an interview with Entertainment.ie, the subject of comic book movies inevitably came up, and Keoghan revealed that he's always been more fascinated by Robin than Batman and would love to play the character. When asked if he's actually spoken to anyone about the possibility, the 24-year-old Dubliner seems to hesitate, possibly indicating that he has indeed had some sort of discussions with the studio.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batma...out-it-a152586

Could this with Chris McKay recently tweeting about the project, seems like this is something that could come out either in 2019 or 2020.
Old 09-14-17, 12:13 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

While Warner Bros. has a number of different DC Comics adaptations in the works at the moment, Nightwing is shaping up to be a hell of a thing. The project was announced in the wake of The LEGO Batman Movie, with that film’s director Chris McKay announced as the director of a live-action Nightwing movie that will finally give the Dick Grayson character his own film. McKay was an interesting choice to direct, given that his background is primarily in animation with shows like Robot Chicken and Titan Maximum, but with The LEGO Batman Movie McKay proved he can handle humor, heart, and action in equal measure, and it sounds like he has an exciting take on Nightwing lined up.

Collider’s own Christina Radish spoke with McKay at the press day for The LEGO Ninjago Movie, which he produced, and when asked about his take on Nightwing, McKay shared his enthusiasm for finally bringing Dick Grayson to the big screen:

“I’m a big comic book fan, and being able to do the story of Nightwing, to do a Dick Grayson story, which is a character that every single person in the world knows, but has never really had a lot of screentime. They make a billion Spider-Man movies and a lot of Batman movies, and they’ve tried The Hulk. When they were making the Tim Burton movies, they were always like, ‘Oh, maybe we’ll do Robin in this now. Maybe we’ll save Robin for Returns. Nope, we’ll save it for the next one.’ With Christopher Nolan, people were like, ‘Is he gonna do Robin?’ When they made Batman v Superman, they were talking about it. I’m a big fan of underdog stories, and he is one of the biggest underdog stories in comics. And he’s a character that I grew up with. I like the arc.”
That arc, of course, is something of a zero to hero:

“You always thought Robin was the dork and were like, ‘I don’t want to be like Robin. I don’t want to play with Robin. I wanna play Batman.’ But Robin was there as a window character for little kids like me to understand Batman’s world and see into Batman’s world. There’s no other character in comics that went through this real-time transition. Every other character lives in a rough version of the age that they’re in. Very few characters actually grow up in the comics and become something else, and go from being a boy to being an adult, and have their own life and become their own thing.”
As for what McKay has planned for Nightwing specifically, the film is still a ways off and casting hasn’t begun, but he hopes to focus on the practical strengths of the character rather than relying on CG effects:

“It’s gonna be a fucking badass action movie with a lot of heart and emotion. It’s gonna be a crazy, fun ride. Whoever gets cast as Nightwing, and any of the other actors around, are gonna go through a fucking boot camp experience because it’s gonna be a lot. I’m not gonna do a lot of CG. It’s gonna be all real shit. It’s gonna be real stuntwork, and they’re gonna need to do all of the stuff on camera and do it credibly. For the cast and the crew, it’s gonna be a visceral experience, and for the audience. It’s not gonna be like a lot of these movies where there’s a lot of CG and flying, and things like that. Everything he does is gonna have to be real. His superpower is being really fucking good, as a human being, at fighting and gymnastics and shit like that, so you’re gonna see that on screen. It’s gonna be fun!”
This all sounds terrific and has me wondering why Warner Bros. hasn’t put this thing into overdrive yet. Of course, the studio is still in the midst of figuring out its DCEU slate, including toying with the idea of non-DCEU movies, but hopefully Nightwing gets off the ground sooner rather than later.

As for what is on the docket, Aquaman just wrapped filming, Shazam! starts production early next year, Gavin O’Connor (The Accountant) just signed on to direct Suicide Squad 2 to start filming in 2018, and Patty Jenkins finally closed her deal to return to write and direct Wonder Woman 2 for a 2019 release date. Things are finally coalescing for Warner Bros.’ DC slate, and here’s hoping Nightwing gets added to the immediate docket in the coming months.
http://collider.com/nightwing-movie-...s/#chris-mckay
Old 09-14-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I can only assume Mike86 will find a part of the quotes above to hate. (I'm kidding, don't take this seriously!)

Anyway, sounds good to me - I also hope they get this going sooner rather then later.
Old 09-14-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I find nothing about that to hate. I've always liked the Dick Grayson character both as Robin and Nightwing and feel like he often gets a bad rap and people feel like he's just a character that's the brunt of jokes. It seems like McKay gets the character and wants to do a good film centered on him and I'm all for that. My bigger concern is the continual mess of the DCEU that this presumably is a part of or maybe it's not because who the fuck knows with WB day to day. I said when both this and Batgirl were announced that they're two of my most anticipated DC films because I enjoy the Bat Family as much as I do Batman and they haven't explored that aspect on film (at least live action) in a decent way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.