Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wick: Chapter 2 (Stahelski, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: John Wick: Chapter 2 (Stahelski, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
13.95%
44.19%
23.26%
13.95%
0%
2.33%
0%
0%
2.33%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

John Wick: Chapter 2 (Stahelski, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 2 (Stahelski, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I'm ashamed that only 14 of us saw this, or at least only 14 votes. This should have done gangbusters around here. I mean $30 mil is great, but should have been better...
More people post than vite. It's always been that way.
Old 02-12-17, 09:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Been looking around, has anyone come up with the body count?
In this or other thread the number was 141, I believe...
Old 02-12-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
In this or other thread the number was 141, I believe...
Thanks. In my head, I pegged it around 150
Old 02-13-17, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I gotta check to see what comes out this week. Cuz I bet it will do close to the same or more due to word of mouth. I know a couple of friends are going to watch it within the next few days.
Old 02-13-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

A Cure for Wellness, Fist Fight and The Great Wall come out next weekend.
Old 02-13-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I think Wick will hold up fine against those. All 3 seem to be tracking terribly, with Great Wall tracking the least terribly.
Old 02-13-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently being able to enjoy this movie in peace at the theatre was too much to ask. This time everything seemed alright but right at the start of the movie a group of 8 mentally disabled adults came into the theatre with their chaperones and took up the first two rows. Most of them were quiet but there was one who spent the entire movie shrieking, stomping their foot and yelling "YEAH!". The other one would occasionally scream in the chaperones direction when they wanted something and did that a couple times. One of them also had an accident apparently which made the theatre smell like poop and they got up right during the finale of the movie and stood in front of the screen while they were all walking out in single file.

Honestly with all that going on, I'm surprised that I enjoyed this as much as I did. It easily outdoes the original in settings, fight choreography and action. I really enjoyed seeing the world of the assassins and the continental that everyone is oblivious too. It feels like what Assassins Creed wanted to do but failed miserably at.

Keanu is awesome in this yet again. I honestly can't think of another actor who could play that role as well as him and it's insane that he probably has his best character in his career at age 52. I will say not casting Monica Belucci as the sister seems like a waste. I can't stand Ruby Rose and was hoping she wouldn't ruin this movie since Hollywood has a hard on for her right now for some reason.She was definitely a step down from Perkins in the first one. She wasn't a credible threat to Wick and she must have sucked at the choreography because her stunt double is obvious and some of the weird angles they shot that scene at is pretty telling.

I also liked the ending and how they opened it up for an interesting direction in the sequel. Overall John Wick 2 gets a perfect 5/5 from me and is an action classic.
Old 02-13-17, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Apparently being able to enjoy this movie in peace at the theatre was too much to ask. This time everything seemed alright but right at the start of the movie a group of 8 mentally disabled adults came into the theatre with their chaperones and took up the first two rows. Most of them were quiet but there was one who spent the entire movie shrieking, stomping their foot and yelling "YEAH!". The other one would occasionally scream in the chaperones direction when they wanted something and did that a couple times. One of them also had an accident apparently which made the theatre smell like poop and they got up right during the finale of the movie and stood in front of the screen while they were all walking out in single file.
I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh that's some funny shit.
Old 02-14-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I was having a really bad day when I saw this so maybe that influenced my opinion, but I didn't care for it at all. Bulletproof suit was ridiculous. And apparently New York has more assassins than regular citizens? The first had its moments but felt more grounded, this was just a bloody comic book.
Old 02-14-17, 01:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
And apparently New York has more assassins than regular citizens?
As a New Yorker, I can say: Yes, yes we do.
("Accounts Payable? $50,000 USD on Wolf359, Domestic")

However, I did chuckle at the subway car they used (which does not remotely look like what we have here) as well as the subway station they showcased. However, I do work a few blocks away from where they have as the front of the NY Continental (and have deliberately walked by it to catch a look when the first John Wick came out)
Old 02-14-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
One of them also had an accident apparently which made the theatre smell like poop and they got up right during the finale of the movie and stood in front of the screen while they were all walking out in single file.
Yeah, sorry about that. I knew Taco Bell was a bad idea.
Old 02-15-17, 03:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The subway station they used was the new one at the WTC site.
Think it might be the first movie to film there.
Although it was a bit jarring as usual to see locations in nyc appear to be so close to one another. One moment they're downtown and next way uptown.
And the roof of the Continental being that garden at Rockefeller Plaza.
Old 02-15-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This will likely outgross John Wick #1 by as soon as EOD Thursday, though Friday is more likely.
Old 02-15-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Saw it today and loved it. 2 hours of non-stop mayhem with a freaking insane body count.

I don't think I've ever seen so many headshot kills in a movie. Wick was just mowing everyone down. The pencil kills were fucking awesome.

I loved the ending with Wick essentially saying bring it on, I'm going to kill them all.

Just a well done action, gun-play showcase.

Looking forward to Chapter 3 whenever that happens.
Old 02-15-17, 09:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Geddlo
The subway station they used was the new one at the WTC site.
The Oculus. I work across the street from it, and had to double check. Looks like that was filmed on the concourse to the PATH train (the train that travels to New Jersey) - I don't take the PATH and didn't recognize it, so I stand corrected.

Now I have to wonder if the train scene was actually a PATH train (which is why it looked so unfamiliar).
Old 02-16-17, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I really liked the finale in the room full of mirrors , that was innovative.
really? protagonist vs antagonist in a mirror funhouse has been done a zillion times.
Old 02-16-17, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

In this movie, Laurence Fishburne runs an underground network of hobo assasins.

I just needed to say that out loud.
Old 02-16-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
In this movie, Laurence Fishburne runs an underground network of hobo assasins.

I just needed to say that out loud.
Sounds like the Beggars' Clan from a million kung fu movies set in Old China.
Old 02-16-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
really? protagonist vs antagonist in a mirror funhouse has been done a zillion times.
Has it been done before? Of course. Has it been done with this much visual style and interesting use of light/colour? Not lately, that for sure, which is why it feels fresh.
Old 02-16-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too long, and lacks the kind of purity of the first film. Still a lot of fun, with some nifty, almost surreal action set pieces.
Old 02-26-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

I loved the first one and really liked this one. The action was insane, but very well choreographed. Yeah, the bad guys weren't as compelling as in the first movie, but the stakes were higher so that part was almost a wash.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all ends.
Old 02-27-17, 09:14 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it yesterday and echo many of the same thoughts. Loved the first one which I think is better however this was well worth it and very enjoyable. I think the slower pace of this one kind of bogged things down a bit. Glad there will be a third. Body count is going to be ridiculous in that one!
Old 02-27-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Saw this on Saturday spontaneously with a buddy. I hadn't seen JW1 so I was a little confused, but I guess it was simple enough -- my friend helped me with a few plot points.
It wasn't great, but pretty entertaining for an action flick. Don't think I've ever seen that many people get shot in the head - not just in a single movie but even cumulatively.
Old 03-16-17, 10:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I was having a really bad day when I saw this so maybe that influenced my opinion, but I didn't care for it at all. Bulletproof suit was ridiculous. And apparently New York has more assassins than regular citizens? The first had its moments but felt more grounded, this was just a bloody comic book.
Originally Posted by Decker
It wasn't great, but pretty entertaining for an action flick. Don't think I've ever seen that many people get shot in the head - not just in a single movie but even cumulatively.
Caught this last night and my opinion is somewhere in between these two. I adored the first movie but this one just didn't work as well for me. While the fights were well-choreographed, I didn't feel like they had the same kinetic energy or rhythm as the first film. The camera-work was good, but too chaotic in some scenes, losing that sense of spacial placement that was in the first film.

I did like how the assassin network was opened up for us to see how widespread it is. Again, the choreography and gunplay were great, but just not as focused as before. The sister's death was a dumb scene, I thought. I liked the reappearance of Jimmy, the cop, for some comedic relief

I'll definitely watch it again, and maybe I'll appreciate it more next time, but generally... it was a bit of a misfire for me.

In my head, I keep comparing this to The Raid 2, another hyper-violent crime-saga sequel that opens up the first film's universe a bit. In that regard, TR2 was much more satisfying to me.
Old 06-03-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally saw this and have to say it was just okay. The first had an atmosphere of intrigue about Wick and the world. This one expands it into a pure comic book shoot em up. It's also just too much. The first focused on mostly short action sequences with brutal, violent finales. This one is just non-stop and most of it isn't handled as well or as interestingly.

It has more in common with a Jason Statham movie than anything. Still, mostly entertaining, just forgetable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.