Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wick: Chapter 2 (Stahelski, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: John Wick: Chapter 2 (Stahelski, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
13.95%
44.19%
23.26%
13.95%
0%
2.33%
0%
0%
2.33%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

John Wick: Chapter 2 (Stahelski, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 2 (Stahelski, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 02-11-17, 06:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
the current trajectory is $29.5m - $31m
I wish it were more. This one deserves huge numbers...
Old 02-11-17, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The theater I saw this at had it in one of their tiniest rooms, and I also noticed the fancy movie theater chain I regularly go to wasn't even playing it. I know that Lego Batman and 50 Shades are probably going to get more notice, especially for VDay, but still!

Anyway, loved it. And as was mentioned earlier, I love the world building in this little world and network of hitman and assassins or whatever they're considered - the rules, the coins, the markers, the manager - all great. Little things like that manage to add to the action so much. And yeah, the action continues to be great and topped the first movie - loved the Rome stuff in particular, but the courtesy stuff with Common was really enjoyable.

John Wick and a pencil
Old 02-11-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Best use of a pencil since the Heath Ledger's Joker.
Old 02-11-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I liked it, and while I like the action in this 2nd one better, I liked the first movie better. Besides having better, more interesting characters (the big bads in this one did nothing for me), I liked the smaller contained "world" of the first movie much more than the big sprawling, worldwide network revealed in the 2nd movie.

It was kinda cooler that there was just that Continental, and maybe a handful of assassins here and there. Having this huge worldwide organization, with seemingly every person in NY being an assassin made the world somewhat less special and a little more silly.
Old 02-11-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Saw it Friday - wife and I loved it. Just BRUTAL hits throughout, incredible gunplay (they kept up with the "reloading at the correct times" that the first movie did) and I loved seeing the world expand with different locations, the homeless network and the different services (the sommelier was awesome).

Bring on Chapter 3!

Also, just a refresher on what a badass Keanu is:

Old 02-11-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I liked but didn't love the first film. This was basically more of the same but I liked it slightly more for some reason. I wish there was more depth to these films than just nonstop action. The action is great but I don't feel that invested in the stories.
Old 02-12-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this yesterday in an (almost) packed theater. So much fun.

Spoiler:
For as much as Ruby Rose was on the screen, I wanted her fight with Keanu to be a LOT longer.
Old 02-12-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
On a sidenote, if Stahleski is still attached to do the Deadpool sequel, I'm fairly optimistic. He can bring the action while Reynolds brings the laughs.
He's not - it is John Wick 1's OTHER co-director David Leitch who is doing Deadpool 2.

Loved John Wick Chapter 2. It does have a slower pace than the first film and isn't as streamlined storywise but the action is insane and totally outdoes the first film. I like seeing more of the Continental world and all that it entails - that network is far reaching! Seeing Wick go up against all those random assassin's was a blast and I'm sure we will see more of that in part 3.

I love the stylish look of the movie - the Catacombs and Art Gallery scenes stand out. These movies are flat out fun but also really well put together. Stahelski just proved that the quality of the first film wasn't a fluke and I am interested to see what he directs in the future. I think there is totally gas left in the tank and John Wick: The Final Chapter can't get here soon enough.
Old 02-12-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Best use of a pencil since the Heath Ledger's Joker.

People went nuts during that scene.
Old 02-12-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Saw this yesterday in an (almost) packed theater. So much fun.

Spoiler:
For as much as Ruby Rose was on the screen, I wanted her fight with Keanu to be a LOT longer.
Dunno why you spoilerized that in the review thread. Anyways, I'd say their fight lasted even longer than it should have. Rose is a tiny, 90 pound girl, even if her character is a badass, she's going up against someone who's supposed to be the most badass assassin in the world.
Old 02-12-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Can you go watch #2 without seeing the first one? I just haven't gotten around to watching the first one yet.
Old 02-12-17, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. This film is a literal chapter 2 of the first movie. So it fills you in on the quick setup of where you are w/ him.

--------

I wasn't as revved up as some of you after I saw it. Part of that was some people laughing at parts I don't think the movie was going for a laugh. My theater was weird. The action is better but I feel like it went a bit too far w/ the world. It got kind of ridiculous even in a ridiculous world that it is. Still interesting but didn't seem as "plausible" as the first one w/ the ground rules of the first film and how it breaks it down to you. The Bowery King being too ridiculous in a way too. There's something not justifying how ridiculous it got. It didn't totally devalue the film for me. It's still pretty awesome. But something was tweaked too far for me. It took me out at times. The grandness of that world got to me. I could get how big it was but how ridiculous the control of it took me out of it at times. It made me a bit sad that it did that. The ridiculousness of it went too ridiculous for me. I could have done without some of the heavy callbacks to the first John Wick. Felt too knowing of itself in that first part with the callbacks to the John Wick persona in that world. I liked it all the same. Was not bored and pretty entertained but it was a lesser film for me because it was too self aware of itself sometimes and the tone didn't connect for me. Stuff like at the end w/ Winston or when he got back to NYC and stuff like that. Too connected for me.

I'd think that John Wick was an A. And this was a B, maybe a B+ movie. Kind of bothered me with what it did.

I thought it was pretty dang cool how they removed the camera in shots where the camera had no choice but to be seen in the mirrors throughout the movie. The guys making this franchise are really upping their camera work. Pretty cool. It'd take me out in a technical way but it was still cool cuz seeing stuff like that gets my attention. Thank you, DVD special features.

------

@ poster, slop101: I think it was a short enough fight to make sense cuz Wick had gone through all that. He wasn't at his top level by that point. The dude was pretty beaten at that point too.

Last edited by NWO4Life; 02-12-17 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I didn't get to see it in the theatres, and I am trying to find the bluray at a reasonable price to watch it. I hope to go watch #2 in theatres this week on one of my days off.
Old 02-12-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I think I'd recommend seeing the first one before going into this. It mostly stands alone but there are definitely things that carry over and would be a bit lost if you don't see the original first.
Old 02-12-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 286 Likes on 182 Posts

Dug it. My initial impression was that I liked the first one alittle more though. Looking forward to see how it all wraps up in the 3rd film.
Old 02-12-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So the 12:45 showing at my two local theatres were basically sold out except for the front row. However there was a 2:00 showing at a theatre forty minutes away that I decided I would try and go to instead.

So I get to the theatre and it's one of those that have assigned seats. I buy my ticket and sit down. Even though it was sold out it wasn't full yet. A black couple then take the two seats next to me. Decide they don't want to sit there and take someone's seats farther up. Well those people came and they had to move back to their original seats next to me.

So the movie begins and they both then proceeded to cuddle with each other, look in each others eyes as if they were sitting right across from each other and then have a conversation with each other through the entire start of the movie. And they weren't whispering.The only time they stopped talking was to take out their cell phones and either text or use them to look at something. Then they started to make out with each other and never once watched the actual movie. At this point I was about forty minutes in and said screw this and went to get the manager. Who I couldn't find.

So to that couple I would like to give a big fuck you and tell them they need to learn how to act in a movie. On the plus side, the forty minutes of it I saw seemed awesome and I can't wait to watch the full movie on Tuesday.
Old 02-12-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Really enjoyed and appreciated the built-up of that world, and tailors to Keanu's strengths. Given the box office, a third is assured, though perhaps close it out as a trilogy.
Old 02-12-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see more ushers actually working the aisles to stop that bullshit.
Old 02-12-17, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099
So the 12:45 showing at my two local theatres were basically sold out except for the front row. However there was a 2:00 showing at a theatre forty minutes away that I decided I would try and go to instead.

So I get to the theatre and it's one of those that have assigned seats. I buy my ticket and sit down. Even though it was sold out it wasn't full yet. A black couple then take the two seats next to me. Decide they don't want to sit there and take someone's seats farther up. Well those people came and they had to move back to their original seats next to me.

So the movie begins and they both then proceeded to cuddle with each other, look in each others eyes as if they were sitting right across from each other and then have a conversation with each other through the entire start of the movie. And they weren't whispering.The only time they stopped talking was to take out their cell phones and either text or use them to look at something. Then they started to make out with each other and never once watched the actual movie. At this point I was about forty minutes in and said screw this and went to get the manager. Who I couldn't find.

So to that couple I would like to give a big fuck you and tell them they need to learn how to act in a movie. On the plus side, the forty minutes of it I saw seemed awesome and I can't wait to watch the full movie on Tuesday.
Why wouldn't you say anything? You basically wasted ur money...
Old 02-12-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099

You should have told them to be quiet.
Old 02-12-17, 05:37 PM

Old 02-12-17, 05:38 PM

I'm ashamed that only 14 of us saw this, or at least only 14 votes. This should have done gangbusters around here. I mean $30 mil is great, but should have been better...
Old 02-12-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still a nice increase over the first which made $43M domestically. This one should do around $75M or so. Wonder what kind of business it would've done without two other big openers.
Old 02-12-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been looking around, has anyone come up with the body count?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.