Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

IMDb is shutting down their message board

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

IMDb is shutting down their message board

Old 02-06-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: IMDb is shutting down their message board

Yes, the IMDB seems to regularly purge posts. It seems to be done at random, as there seems to be little rhyme or reason behind it. Some stuff will have two pages of posts that go back ten years, others will have two pages that only go back a couple of months. Some will have hundreds of pages.
Old 02-06-17, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Keith Gordon would routinely post on the message boards for the films he's made.
Yeah, but his posts aren't as good as Gordon Keith's posts.
Old 02-07-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
This is very disappointing as it was a great resource for discussions of films that are older/less popular/more obscure. I would always check out the boards for movies I have just seen and have gotten so much valuable information from the discussions. There is no other place like it on the web and it is a huge loss for me.

There is a petition, which I just signed, if anyone is interested:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...eboards-going#
Absolutely! If I couldn't find a synopsis or spoiler anywhere else I could find it on IMDB.
Old 02-07-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

It was pretty common practice for me to visit the messages boards after watching a movie that had an ambiguous or confusing end or one that needed some interpretation. Don't get me wrong. Many posts are ridiculous, but I've always found some interesting insights there, even if I didn't always agree.

And as others have said, if there was something in a film that you missed or was confusing, you could be almost guaranteed to find a post already created that addressees that very thing.
Old 02-07-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I just watched the Horror film "Let Us Prey" and went to the message boards where the director of the film posted in one of the threads giving insight on a particular problem some people had with the film. This is not the first time where a director posted on the message boards, and another reason why closing the boards will be a sad day for me.
What was the insight? I am curious...
Old 02-07-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The IMDB boards were a great place to find information on people who only acted in a few movies that fell off the radar, or those that were popular at one point but fell off the map. It is also a great place to find differing analysis on a movie's plot development.
Old 02-07-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Amazon owns IMDB.Surprise they could not clean up all the thread crap.trolls.. etc.
I hardly read the fourms their anymore.
Going to miss the board mostly for the small good movie boards that had some good reviews and posts.

I'm trying https://www.criticker.com/ . Moreto rate movies and get match with other movies Top recommendations and match with other members with similar film taste.Rating system is 0 to 100.And the message board looks slow.Still getting use to it,but some movies they suggest look like I would really enjoy.I found the best way to rate movies is to look up the actor and you can rate all their movies on A page or two.
Old 02-07-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Agreed. There is tons of garbage on the IMDB boards, but there was also quite a bit of gold there if you were willing to look for it.

The boards were a good way to get rumors, news, and information from early screenings. Some occasional interesting analysis could be found there, too.

Truth be told, I absolutely despise our move away from message boards to social networks like facebook and twitter. As high as the bullshit-to-useful information ratio was on the IMDB boards, it's off the charts on facebook and twitter. That, and it's infinitely more difficult to find specific bits of information on facebook and twitter. If I'm looking for a rumor about a certain movie, I can just go to its IMDB page and scan its board for a minute or two and see if what I need is there. I could spend literally hours sifting through tweets and facebook statuses looking for the same thing.
That was one of the things I liked about IMDB boards. I saw a lot of threads over the years from people who went to test or early screenings of movies. Some people who lived near filming locations for shows and movies would post some spoilers and set pics. Some people who worked on shows and movies used to post there and give information about script changes and other things that went on.

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I'll miss some of the posts about films but one aspect I won't miss are the message boards for individual actors.

IMDB never should have allowed message boards for actors as they seem to attract every troll known to man. They make "Mean Tweets" look respectable.

Some poor actor will have so many unpleasant things said about them and those posts never go away.
I agree with you on the boards for actors. I saw a lot of awful threads on those boards and some rumors about actors that were just too nutty.

Originally Posted by clckworang
It was pretty common practice for me to visit the messages boards after watching a movie that had an ambiguous or confusing end or one that needed some interpretation. Don't get me wrong. Many posts are ridiculous, but I've always found some interesting insights there, even if I didn't always agree.

And as others have said, if there was something in a film that you missed or was confusing, you could be almost guaranteed to find a post already created that addressees that very thing.
I also did the same thing as you. There were times some posters had good theories about ambiguous or confusing endings and I like those kinds of posts.
Old 02-07-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
I agree with you on the boards for actors. I saw a lot of awful threads on those boards and some rumors about actors that were just too nutty.
That's the insidious thing about all of these public message boards and forums, it becomes democracy run amok. Everyone gets to share their opinion and thoughts but no one is held accountable for facts, responsibility, appropriateness or good taste.

When you read a completely false statement on these message boards, you may recall it months later but often you can't remember where you read it and whether it was even a legitimate source or not.

Last edited by orangerunner; 02-07-17 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-07-17, 09:10 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks to IMDb I found this today:

https://vimeo.com/152336237

Utter insanity
Old 02-08-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This bums me out. Pretty much every movie I watch after I finish I go to the message boards to see what is on there to find out stuff. I know there is a bunch of tools and trolls on there but it is also literally the only place that certain information or trivia or facts about a specific movie is found at all. I tend to get obsessive about movies I love or that just interest me so I want to know EVERYTHING about the movie and I have never found another place that had as much info or discussion about these movies despite having to weed through some crap at times.

Kinda like when Television Without Pity dropped their forums, this is a big loss for me personally.
Old 02-08-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Honestly there is a lot of crap on them but I often would find myself going there since there was a lot more specific discussion due to the fact that each film and show has its own board. Plus the specific boards for individuals are kind of nice.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-10-20)
Old 02-16-17, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess it was their duty to take away one of the few things that brought me like happiness in my life .
Old 02-17-17, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I probably won't visit IMDB as much after the message boards go- there are a number of favorite movies that I regularly check the boards of; stayed up too late last night going through them for likely the last time. At least that might draw more people here but only for movies popular enough to have their discussions stay at the top of the forums. I liked looking up obscure movies just to see if anyone else had ever seen them.
Old 02-17-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
What was the insight? I am curious...
Spoiler:
One of the problems people have with the film is that all these bad events are happening in one small town in one night...it strains credibility. The director says they are actually in purgatory.
Old 02-17-17, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I've noticed that I visit the IMDB boards at least daily, looking up stuff about movies and tv shows. There's really a ton of information and links there if you can ignore the crap (which isn't hard to do.; troll threads stand out).

Facebook and twitter are useless for this sort of thing, and reddit is a fucking jumbled mess.
Old 02-19-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,000 Likes on 620 Posts

Looks like they're gone.
Old 02-19-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Looks like they're gone.
Damn, I just remembered that I'd planned to go through my list of message board posts to copy and transfer the long ones to a Word file. I was literally about to start when I saw your post and went to one of the films I'd posted on and...you're right.

Procrastination's a bitch.
Old 02-19-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They really did it!

Old 02-19-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Such a shame. There were more non-trolls than trolls - I won't visit the site now nearly as much.
Old 02-20-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There is basically no reason to visit the site at all now, for me anyway.
Old 02-20-17, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

If their site traffic takes a noticeable hit, I could see them backpedaling. At least one can hope.
Old 02-20-17, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Somebody created a new site for discussion of films and backed up many of the posts from IMDB onto it:

http://www.moviechat.org/
Old 02-20-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Somebody created a new site for discussion of films and backed up many of the posts from IMDB onto it:

http://www.moviechat.org/
Thanks, signed up.
Old 02-20-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
There is basically no reason to visit the site at all now, for me anyway.
I am curious what other site you use to look up movie information? Specifically filmographies, cast lists, trivia, quotes, etc.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-10-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.