Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 04:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Originally Posted by OldBoy
but how can he age (in the movie)?
Likely they will have a similar explanation to why he aged in Genisys.
Old 04-04-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

but how can he age (in the movie)? still all looks great and i'll see it if good...

The Terminators are covered with living tissue and skin, so they age like humans.

From Cameron's mouth:

You don't have to get around it. The beauty of it is: He's a cyborg. And so, the org part is on the outside, meaning organism. And Reese says it in the first film: 'They sweat. They have bad breath.' Because they were supposed to be infiltration units, so there's this idea that flesh sort of sheaths over a metal endo-skeleton. So that would age normally. So, obviously he's one that's been in action and operation for a long time. And that's all I want to say about the actual story part of it.
Old 04-04-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Considering they just erased three entire movies from canon, I think they can explain away aging a T-800 pretty easily.
Old 04-04-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I hope this is good, I really do. I'm just very skeptical on this franchise anymore. Seems like the components to make a good film are there so fingers crossed. Hopefully we'll get a teaser soon.
Old 04-04-19, 06:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

ok. do hope it makes up for the POS that Genysis was. and i did like Salvation. better than 3 for sure...
Old 04-04-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Because the filmmakers said so, now stop asking questions and be there opening day.
Old 04-04-19, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

ok. do hope it makes up for the POS that Genysis was. and i did like Salvation. better than 3 for sure...
Yes, "Genysis" was a POS. But "3" was 10 x more enjoyable (and better) than "Salvation". I truly hated that film.
Old 04-05-19, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought it was all but confirmed that Arnold is playing a human in this?
Old 04-05-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I thought it was all but confirmed that Arnold is playing a human in this?
I was about to ask the same question. I thought I read somewhere he's playing an older version of the guy who was in the deleted scene of Terminator 3 (and who the T-800 models were based on, image-wise).
Old 04-05-19, 07:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don’t think I could sit through two hours of him with that accent!
Old 04-08-19, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don’t think I could sit through two hours of him with that accent!
Well, the scene was deleted, so they can fix that and pretend it didn't happen/reinvent the character. But all other indications from the filmmakers seem to imply that he IS playing a T-800 again, so either they're intentionally being deceptive or things have changed (or we were misinformed at the early stages).
Old 04-08-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

T3 was OK, Salvation was terrible, and I didn't even bother with Genisys as I was done with this franchise. Cameron coming back is the ONLY reason I would think about venturing back into this universe as he's not going to be a part of your standard dummy action films that 99% of the blockbusters are like today. He will write an interesting story with an arc and force the director to focus on characters, so they have a chance to grab me back with a good trailer and good reviews. The only thing I'm skeptical about is that I don't know what story is left to tell as T2 is still a great ending, and they should have probably stopped after that (like every great franchise these days).
Old 04-08-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
T3 was OK, Salvation was terrible, and I didn't even bother with Genisys as I was done with this franchise.
Same here.

Old 04-08-19, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus
Same here.
Same with James Cameron. He did an interview and said that anything after T2 doesn't exist in the franchise in the context of this movie.
Old 04-08-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

It's been reported many times that this is the true sequel to Terminator 2, 3 through Genisys no longer exist.

Cameron also helped develop the story with Josh Friedman, who worked on the Terminator TV series, David Goyer, David Ellison, Billy Ray, Charles Eglee and Justin Rhodes.

You don't see movies get developed in a writer's room like this. That's mostly in TV. Usually more than 1 writer on a feature film is a bad thing, but I'm trusting Cameron's judgment here.
Old 04-08-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's been reported many times that this is the true sequel to Terminator 2, 3 through Genisys no longer.

Cameron also helped develop the story with Josh Friedman, who worked on the Terminator TV series, David Goyer, David Ellison, Billy Ray, Charles Eglee and Justin Rhodes.

You don't see movies get developed in a writer's room like this. That's mostly in TV. Usually more than 1 writer on a feature film is a bad thing, but I'm trusting Cameron's judgment here.
The television show was excellent - bummer they canceled it without resolution.
Old 04-08-19, 12:20 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Same with James Cameron.
Except when he's paid to endorse it:

<iframe width="702" height="395" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7LqgdNVTcRA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-08-19, 12:22 PM

I have to say that Linda Hamilton still looks good at her age (she looks exactly like an older Sarah Connor). Carrie Fisher and many actresses just hit the skids after 50-60 years old (which is natural), but I think Hamilton was able to pull off a seasoned/hardened Sarah Connor some 30 years later. They are being very tight-lipped regarding the plot, but it sounds like they are getting the focal point back on her rather than John Connor, so this should mirror The Original Terminator.
Old 04-08-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

^^ Yeah that Cameron featurette is hilarious in retrospect. Many of the hardcore Terminator fans saw right through it that he was a paid shill to promote Genisys.
Old 04-08-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I have to say that Linda Hamilton still looks good at her age (she looks exactly like an older Sarah Connor). Carrie Fisher and many actresses just hit the skids after 50-60 years old (which is natural), but I think Hamilton was able to pull off a seasoned/hardened Sarah Connor some 30 years later. They are being very tight-lipped regarding the plot, but it sounds like they are getting the focal point back on her rather than John Connor, so this should mirror The Original Terminator.

Well, Fisher drank and did drugs and had bad plastic sugery - she led a rough life. Hamilton stayed on course.
Old 04-08-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was about to ask the same question. I thought I read somewhere he's playing an older version of the guy who was in the deleted scene of Terminator 3 (and who the T-800 models were based on, image-wise).
I'm pretty sure that idea was first done in one of the Terminator expanded universe novels in the late 90s.

The only thing I'm skeptical about is that I don't know what story is left to tell as T2 is still a great ending, and they should have probably stopped after that (like every great franchise these days).
I'm incredibly skeptical about it.
Even in T2, when you think about it, it seemed like there wasn't much more story to tell. It didn't even make sense according to what was established in the first one. It's a retread of the first one, although done really well.

The comics (NOW Comics Terminator: The Burning Earth, and the early Dark Horse stuff) and the TV show were so much better than T3-Genysis.

Old 04-08-19, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm pretty sure that idea was first done in one of the Terminator expanded universe novels in the late 90s.
I'm incredibly skeptical about it.
Even in T2, when you think about it, it seemed like there wasn't much more story to tell. It didn't even make sense according to what was established in the first one. It's a retread of the first one, although done really well.
I'm hoping Cameron can find an over-arching theme for the new Terminator movie(s) as so many reboots lack that big picture story these days. While I agree with you that T2 is a retread of T1 in essentially the way the story is told, the theme of the movie is that you make your own fate. I always liked that about the movie as the characters take charge of the situation and change history, and it's a lesson in our lives that nothing is set in stone. But I'm still skeptical just because so many reboots end up ruining the old characters (Star Wars Sequel Trilogy comes to mind). I'm not a fan of Bladerunner, but did the sequel do it justice?
Old 04-08-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a fan of Bladerunner, but did the sequel do it justice?
The sequel isn't in the same league as the original.
Old 04-08-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm not a fan of Bladerunner, but did the sequel do it justice?
I’m not a fan of sequels and I thought Blade Runner 2049 did do it justice.
Old 04-08-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
The sequel isn't in the same league as the original.
I disagree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.