Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
15.94%
31.88%
26.09%
10.14%
10.14%
1.45%
2.90%
1.45%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 12:09 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by story
My wife loves this movie and I have yet to see it. Trying to avoid spoilers here, but popped in to ask if anyone knows if it's on sale for Black Friday, thanks.
$5.99 at Best Buy and $5.96 at Walmart.
Old 11-20-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by niffty
Finally watched this last night (thanks Amazon!) and really enjoyed it. Felt it was slow but not overly slow and beautifully shot. Amy Adams is/was a joy to watch.

My questions:
Spoiler:

Since the heptapods know the outcome already, why did they start off with verbal communication (growling not producible by humans) and not go straight to the visual form from the first contact?

Presumably since the heptapods have a long association with humans (present and 3000 years in the future), why haven't they found some key of using the future to communicate in the present (i.e. like how Amy's character communicates with General Shang by using a future interaction)? Instead it seems like the heptapods take an uncecessary risk by miscommunicating "tool" as "weapon".

And lastly, what did Amy tell General Shang on the phone to get him to stand down? Presumably, she just told him exactly what he tells her in the future. The introduction... here are the words of your dead wife, that I would only know if you told me. The key to the alien language unlocking the perception of time and how the aliens are here to give this as a "gift" (and not "weapon") in order to allow the humans to save the aliens in 3000 years.

It seems like the obvious way an advanced civilization could come to earth is already knowing how to communicate with humans (how hard can it be?) and then say "We come in peace bearing a gift" instead of being so mysterious. Of course, then it would be a completely different kind of movie.
Spoiler:

I think all of your questions are kind of asking the same thing. The (possible) answer that I would give is:

The heptapods' mission was to teach humans the language that would help us perceive time differently. Just as teachers in schools use the Socratic method and other somewhat obtuse approaches to help guide students to the right answer, rather than simply showing them the answer, the heptapods were helping the humans move toward and eventually arrive (no pun intended) at the information they needed so that they would really learn it. And if the heptapods really perceived the past, present and future together, then they knew exactly the risks (or more importantly, the lackthereof) of their approach.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 11-20-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yeah for those that didn't know, this is on Amazon Prime Streaming now.
Old 11-20-17, 12:46 PM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
$5.99 at Best Buy and $5.96 at Walmart.
Oh, no, the store I don't like and the store she doesn't like! These first world problems will be the end of me.

Thanks, dex14, I appreciate it. Probably BB for me.
Old 11-20-17, 12:49 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Oh, no, the store I don't like and the store she doesn't like! These first world problems will be the end of me.

I would imagine Amazon will PM at some point. Also Best Buy has free shipping. So you don't have to even bother going to the store.
Old 11-20-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Maybe they'll have it online too at the Black Friday price?
Old 11-21-17, 12:37 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by niffty
Finally watched this last night (thanks Amazon!) and really enjoyed it. Felt it was slow but not overly slow and beautifully shot. Amy Adams is/was a joy to watch.

My questions:
Spoiler:

Since the heptapods know the outcome already, why did they start off with verbal communication (growling not producible by humans) and not go straight to the visual form from the first contact?

Presumably since the heptapods have a long association with humans (present and 3000 years in the future), why haven't they found some key of using the future to communicate in the present (i.e. like how Amy's character communicates with General Shang by using a future interaction)? Instead it seems like the heptapods take an uncecessary risk by miscommunicating "tool" as "weapon".

And lastly, what did Amy tell General Shang on the phone to get him to stand down? Presumably, she just told him exactly what he tells her in the future. The introduction... here are the words of your dead wife, that I would only know if you told me. The key to the alien language unlocking the perception of time and how the aliens are here to give this as a "gift" (and not "weapon") in order to allow the humans to save the aliens in 3000 years.

It seems like the obvious way an advanced civilization could come to earth is already knowing how to communicate with humans (how hard can it be?) and then say "We come in peace bearing a gift" instead of being so mysterious. Of course, then it would be a completely different kind of movie.
Spoiler:
It was discussed by Adams’ character that the language wasn’t straight forward possibly so the other nations must “work together” (her theory anyway, which was never fully backed up; I think given her character, the human closest to understanding them, I can’t disagree). The language also allows the ability for her character to see the “future”, or at least her future, whsich I guess maybe the heptapods knew was going to happen, but again that’s murky, but I’m glad not everything was fully explained. The aliens are just as mysterious when they leave as when they left. At least that’s what I got out of it, someone else here may have caught something I missed.
Old 11-21-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

This flick played out like I thought it would - bored me but had enough to keep me interested. Didn't see the twist coming and dug that (don't think I've ever seen that done in a movie before). The alien dudes were really cool too.
Old 02-16-23, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Late to the party... I just watched this and thought it was really good. I agree, however, that they could've given Jeremy Renner's character a bit more to do.

I particularly enjoyed how the heptapods were presented and the interaction with them. Great atmosphere! (no pun intended)