Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Woman King (2022, D: Prince-Bythewood) S: Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Woman King (2022, D: Prince-Bythewood) S: Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega

Old 07-06-22, 09:57 AM

Received 3,252 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Bow down to the most exceptional female warrior to ever live. Viola Davis is The Woman King. Watch her rise exclusively in movie theaters September 16.

The Woman King is the remarkable story of the Agojie, the all-female unit of warriors who protected the African Kingdom of Dahomey in the 1800s with skills and a fierceness unlike anything the world has ever seen. Inspired by true events, The Woman King follows the emotionally epic journey of General Nanisca (Oscarģ-winner Viola Davis) as she trains the next generation of recruits and readies them for battle against an enemy determined to destroy their way of life. Some things are worth fighting for…

Directed by: Gina Prince-Bythewood

Story by: Maria Bello

Screenplay by: Dana Stevens and Gina Prince-Bythewood

Produced by:
Cathy Schulman
Viola Davis
Julius Tennon
Maria Bello

Executive Producer: Peter McAleese

Cast:
Viola Davis
Thuso Mbedu
Lashana Lynch
Sheila Atim
Hero Fiennes Tiffin
and John Boyega
Old 07-06-22, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,586 Posts
Re: The Woman King (2022, D: Prince-Bythewood) S: Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega

Maria Bello came up with the story? Interesting. She’s listed on IMDB as a producer, but no writing credit.
Old 09-10-22, 10:13 PM

Received 3,252 Likes on 2,209 Posts
Re: The Woman King (2022, D: Prince-Bythewood) S: Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega

Opens next week. Reviews from TIFF: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_woman_king
Old 09-11-22, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Does this story take place after the Atlantic slave trade was abolished? My understanding is that while it was officially "gone" in the early 1800s, illegal trafficking continued well into the days of the Civil War.
Old 09-17-22, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught this today. Not really worth all of the great reviews, but a nice big screen spectacle.
Old 09-17-22, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I thought this would be a small indie.

But wow. Look at this thing.

Itís amazing to be even in the public interest. Seriously.

Selling Black anything, especially Black women is incredibly tough.
Old 09-17-22, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 951 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
But wow. Look at this thing.
Next thing you know, they'll have a black mermaid. The madness won't stop, right?
Old 09-17-22, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Caught this today. Not really worth all of the great reviews, but a nice big screen spectacle.
Ads make it look promising. So is it only watchable for the action or is the rest also good? Just wanna know how to temper my expectations.
Old 09-18-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Ads make it look promising. So is it only watchable for the action or is the rest also good? Just wanna know how to temper my expectations.

Don't go in thinking it's going to be non-stop action. It's mostly character driven, but the action they have is pretty cool. My only real gripe aside from the history fudging is that this looks like it was shot to have a hard R rating and they did some editing to get a PG-13. Plot wise this movie seems to have been inspired, interestingly, by An Officer and a Gentleman, even keeping one of its trademark lines. The acting is also top notch, and Viola Davis is every bit her Amanda Waller bad a$$.
Old 09-18-22, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Don't go in thinking it's going to be non-stop action. It's mostly character driven, but the action they have is pretty cool. My only real gripe aside from the history fudging is that this looks like it was shot to have a hard R rating and they did some editing to get a PG-13.
I had just assumed it was an R film, realizing it was PG-13 actually changed my mind about seeing it. Yes, great films don't need to be R but my interest in this was really only for potentially brutal battle scenes.
Old 09-18-22, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Really enjoyed it. Fantastic cast, with Viola Davis, of course, turning in a fantastic performance. The movie itself was 20 mins too long and thereís a plot twist that is pretty lazy. As a pure action-drama itís phenomenal. I canít weigh in on historical accuracy.

That said an early Sunday evening showing had only four people, myself included. Really sad to see a Black female led cast in a film written and directed by women seemingly not make a huge opening weekend impact, when seven people ahead of me were in line to see Maverick.
Old 09-19-22, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Really enjoyed it. Fantastic cast, with Viola Davis, of course, turning in a fantastic performance. The movie itself was 20 mins too long and thereís a plot twist that is pretty lazy. As a pure action-drama itís phenomenal. I canít weigh in on historical accuracy.

That said an early Sunday evening showing had only four people, myself included. Really sad to see a Black female led cast in a film written and directed by women seemingly not make a huge opening weekend impact, when seven people ahead of me were in line to see Maverick.

It did almost 20 million this weekend. For a movie with no stars, Viola Davis isnít popular, thatís an amazing turnout in September
Old 09-19-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 513 Likes on 377 Posts

Viola Davis isn’t popular? That’s news to me.