Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you consider to be the Coen Brothers worst film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What do you consider to be the Coen Brothers worst film?
Hail Caesar!
23.64%
Inside Llewyn Davis
0%
True Grit
1.82%
A Serious Man
0%
Burn After Reading
5.45%
No Country for Old Men
3.64%
The Ladykillers
32.73%
Intolerable Cruelty
16.36%
The Man Who Wasn't There
3.64%
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
1.82%
The Big Lebowski
3.64%
Fargo
0%
The Hudsucker Proxy
0%
Barton Fink
1.82%
Miller's Crossing
0%
Raising Arizona
5.45%
Blood Simple
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

What do you consider to be the Coen Brothers worst film?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: What do you consider to be the Coen Brothers worst film?

Originally Posted by dex14
Strange to me to do a thread when you haven't seen all their work.

I don't see how anyone could vote for anything other than The Ladykillers.

I personally loved Burn After Reading. I think it's hilarious.
Same here Burn After Reading is brilliant and get better each time I see it.

The only one I have not see is Ladykillers. Hail Caesar is so fucking bad I barely made it through.
Old 10-25-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

I also love Burn After Reading. One of the best "goofy" Coen movies.

I love that there are such varied tastes for their movies. I think it goes to show they continue to take chances and try new things. I was excited to see Hail Caesar and while it didn't do anything for me I still applaud them for giving it a shot.
Old 10-25-16, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen every Coen Brothers film and I dislike just one, The Ladykillers, so that gets my vote.
Old 10-25-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm old enough to remember when everyone thought Hudsucker was their worst flick.
Old 10-25-16, 09:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
I'm old enough to remember when everyone thought Hudsucker was their worst flick.
Indeed I do as well. It's been mostly forgotten that Hudsucker was lambasted when it came out. The talk was that this turkey would kill their careers.
Old 10-25-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 383 Likes on 272 Posts

Nothing will ever kill their careers.

The Coen Brothers are like Woody Allen - in that their budgets are so conservative and prudent, that they can make whatever they want. And, within those conservative budgets, they get to make the exact movies they want to make. When you keep your budget low enough, you'll never lose money.

A lot of filmmakers are set on producing big and expensive ideas. Or they have a very hard time making the movie they want to make with a low budget. It's akin to people who want to spend every last penny of their budget on a house and car. And those productions fall apart all the time, as studios can't always put up $50M+ on a film. But when you're producing films for $5M to $20M, and you have an established name, that's a safe bet and the financing is always there.

Anyways... I refuse to name the worst Coen Brothers movie. Burn After Reading's best parts are Pitt's demise and the brilliant no-nonsense resolution in the CIA office. A lot of other good stuff in there. I'm surprised you guys didn't like it.
Old 10-25-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I need to see No Country for Old Men again. I've only seen about half of their films but would have to put that as my least favorite. Saw it once when it first came out and didn't connect to it AT ALL.

Fargo and Big Lebowski are my favorites. Love Burn After Reading.
Old 10-26-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
Originally Posted by Mabuse
Indeed I do as well. It's been mostly forgotten that Hudsucker was lambasted when it came out. The talk was that this turkey would kill their careers.
I wasn't really a big film guy until around when Fargo came out which exposed me to the Coens.

Do you recall what the biggest reasons where for panning Hudsucker? I find it highly entertaining and beautifully constructed.
Old 10-26-16, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I remember the negative reviews for Hudsucker as well, and also remember really enjoying it when it was released on VHS and being confused by the reviews, it had everything I liked in a movie at the time (mind you I was a kid).

The main review issues were it was too much of a screwball comedy with no heart, it was style over substance. Roger Ebert gave it a 2 out of 4 saying part of him wanted to give it a 4/4 rating, and the other part wanted to give it a 0/4 because it was just the Coens showboating.

Originally Posted by Ebert
Angel: This is the best-looking movie I've seen in years, a feast for the eyes and the imagination. The art direction and set design are breathtaking, re-creating the world of 1930s screwball comedy in which towering skyscrapers and vast boardrooms were the playing fields for the ambitions of corrupt executives, ambitious kids, unsung geniuses, and lady newspaper reporters with nails as sharp as their wisecracks.

Devil: But the problem with the movie is that it's all surface and no substance. Not even the slightest attempt is made to suggest that the film takes its own story seriously. Everything is style. The performances seem deliberately angled as satire.

The debate goes on. Just before they vaporized into thin air, the angel advised me to give "The Hudsucker Proxy" four stars, and the Devil, whispering that the Coens are talented but need to be prodded to go beyond their technical mastery, wickedly advised me to cut them off with zero. Having weighed all their advice, I have taken a middle position.
I think mostly critics didn't know what to make of it, especially since it was following Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink in the Coen brothers portfolio. But it wasn't as jarring of a shift as Fargo -> The Big Lebowski.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-26-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-26-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I remember the negative reviews for Hudsucker as well, and also remember really enjoying it when it was released on VHS and being confused by the reviews, it had everything I liked in a movie at the time (mind you I was a kid).

The main review issues were it was too much of a screwball comedy with no heart, it was style over substance. Roger Ebert gave it a 2 out of 4 saying part of him wanted to give it a 4/4 rating, and the other part wanted to give it a 0/4 because it was just the Coens showboating.

I think mostly critics didn't know what to make of it, especially since it was following Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink in the Coen brothers portfolio. But it wasn't as jarring of a shift as Fargo -> The Big Lebowski.
OK that's starting to sound familiar. I don't get the "no heart" criticism but if that's true for some, then Hail Caesar would be guilty x 10 because that really felt like soulless showboating to me.
Old 10-26-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always hated Raising Arizona. I will always hate Raising Arizona.

My answer is Raising Arizona.
Old 10-26-16, 10:01 PM
Banned

I will give one genuine criticism of Hudsucker Proxy; it flagrantly rips off Gilliam's Brazil in several sequences.

From what I recall of the critics, and I'll do a little more research tomorrow, one of the chief things was that the 1930's screwball comedy style of the film was SO FAR from what was acceptable at the time. Tarantino was hot on the scene, and it was all about hip, self reflexive realism. And here was this film with really stylized, deliberately anachronistic dialogue. Today other directors (like Wes Anderson and Peter Jackson's Kong, for example) have brought the style back, but at that time critics didn't like it.
Old 10-27-16, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Man who Wasnt There. Its utterly unwatchable.

At least with Lady Killers and Cruelty you can sit through them.
Old 10-27-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
The Man who Wasnt There. Its utterly unwatchable.

At least with Lady Killers and Cruelty you can sit through them.
My experience with "The Man Who Wasn't There" was pretty terrible and kind of tainted my reaction to it. I saw it in a mid-town art house mostly populated by an over-40s crowd (as opposed to the city art-house that caters to the College crowd) and they seemed to want to view it as a Comedy and strained to laugh at it where they could (not derisively, but just trying to enjoy it). I just couldn't get into it at all, but I always tell myself one day I should give it another chance (without an audience to bug me).

Last edited by DWilson; 10-27-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The first time I saw TMWWT I disliked it. After re-watching it I liked it more but it's still not that great.
Old 10-27-16, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DWilson
My experience with "The Man Who Wasn't There" was pretty terrible and kind of tainted my reaction to it. I saw it in a mid-town art house mostly populated by an over-40s crowd (as opposed to the city art-house that caters to the College crowd) and they seemed to want to view it as a Comedy and strained to laugh at it where they could (not derisively, but just trying to enjoy it). I just couldn't get into it at all, but I always tell myself one day I should give it another chance (without an audience to bug me).
It's strange that you would say this, because I was about to tell Thrush that it's important to realize that the movie is a comedy. It's really deadpan, but its hysterically funny.
Old 10-28-16, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It's strange that you would say this, because I was about to tell Thrush that it's important to realize that the movie is a comedy. It's really deadpan, but its hysterically funny.
I always try to go into a Coen bros movie with an open mind. I don't think having this information would make this movie any more enjoyable to me.
Old 10-28-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Intolerable Cruelty. Ladykillers is close, but there is one stupid line from it that still makes me chuckle, so it is only second worst.
Old 10-29-16, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Intolerable Cruelty. (Someday I'll try to rewatch it.)

For all the hate that The Ladykillers is receiving in this thread...I'll merely say that I think it's quite enjoyable.

My fav of theirs is No Country For Old Men.
Old 10-29-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I don't get out much because I've only seen a few. Out of the ones I've seen:

Hail Caesar!
True Grit
Burn After Reading
The Ladykillers
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Raising Arizona

I'll go with Raising Arizona however I will asterisk that by saying I think I can only recall seeing it once on VHS
Old 10-29-16, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For me it's Intolerable Cruelty, although I revisted the film recently and softened on it a bit. I kinda get what they were going for now, and it plays better to me. However, I'll reserve my vote since I've yet to see Hail Ceaser!. It's the only Coen's film besides The Hudsucker Proxy I've haven't seen on its opening day.

Last edited by mike7162; 10-29-16 at 09:34 PM.