Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Summer of Reverse Sheep Continues -- Double-Oh Sheep: The James Bond Edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Summer of Reverse Sheep Continues -- Double-Oh Sheep: The James Bond Edition

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Summer of Reverse Sheep Continues -- Double-Oh Sheep: The James Bond Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Abob is focused on whether the J.B.s are different characters from what he defines as the official James Bond character.

The question never says anything about characters.

The question just references the names. Names are just words.

Two people with the same name are not the same person, but they do have the same name, the same words.

The question asks for "another J.B." meaning a different J.B. from James Bond.

Abob made his decision without answering any of my challenges about this aspect of the question. I think it was intellectually lazy.
It doesn't ask for "another name," it says "name another." Those don't mean exactly the same thing.
Old 08-24-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,389 Posts
Re: Summer of Reverse Sheep Continues -- Double-Oh Sheep: The James Bond Edition

I'm really annoyed with allowing Woody Allen. I thought of that answer but didn't use it because Abob specifically stated it needed to be outside the James Bond universe and this CLEARLY IS NOT, since he is a character in a James Bond movie.
Old 08-24-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Please allow the Sheepmaster to address this issue of what is stated in the rules.
No. Abob, I do not allow this! Andress it and you are banned! And your children! And your children's children! For six months.

I'm not sure how I'm not allowing him to address it, but I also don't see how any of this has gone outside of the stated rules.
Old 08-24-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 867 Posts

So our Sheepy answer ... They may or may not have read the initial post, but they saw the gif attached to it ...

Spoiler:

-12 each

devilshalo Every Bond opening as he's sighted thru a gun barrel POV and he draws and shoots.
tommyp007 Gun barrel opening
sleepyhead55 intro where he shoots the gun and screen turns red
Mr. Flix Opening credits when Bond shoots the circle/screen (you know what I mean) {sd}
Kal-El Opening gun chamber iris shot with JB shooting at the screen
cdollaz Opening sequence where he walks, turns, and shoots at the audience
brainee the "shooting" graphic that opens most Bond movies (that you have a gif of above)
davidh777 The bleeding eyeball
Decker The image of Bond aiming down a gun barrel in the opening of every film
hasslein The Iris
Damfino The opening bit with Bond firing into the eye.
GhostLee The opening credits sequence with Bond shooting into the camera

Old 08-24-16, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm really annoyed with allowing Woody Allen. I thought of that answer but didn't use it because Abob specifically stated it needed to be outside the James Bond universe and this CLEARLY IS NOT, since he is a character in a James Bond movie.
I just reread the question, and it didn't say answers had to be from outside the Bond universe; it only said that outside material was acceptable.
Old 08-24-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 867 Posts

Standings after Q8:

Palaver -165
brainee -157
sleepyhead55 -153
majorjoe23 -145
Crocker Jarmen -142
tommyp007 -142
mwbmis -141
cdollaz -140
Count Dooku -138
DaveNinja -133
Damfino -131
hasslein -127
Decker -126
Mr. Flix -126
Shannon Nutt -120
bradler -112
Kal-El -112
bunkaroo -104
Super X -101
wishbone -101
GhostLee -95
devilshalo -93
davidh777 -91
TomOpus -88
The AllPurposeNothing -79

OK ... going to take a break there. I'm not ignoring you Dooku, I was trying to get those few posted before I have to run (and I am already late). I will let the Sheep run free with this and will address it (nice Freudian slip majorjoe!) when I get back this afternoon.

Remember, Sheep is about the masses agreeing, not being the loudest. That is reserved for racist Otter threads and debates about Spiderman's Mary Jane.
Old 08-24-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GhostLee
I just reread the question, and it didn't say answers had to be from outside the Bond universe; it only said that outside material was acceptable.
If you screw up my chance to steal all these souls, I swear you and I will have words!
Old 08-24-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostLee
Not sure why you guys are so focused on this universe thing.

IT'S THE SAME NAME!!!
Old 08-24-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts

The through the gun barrel sequence didn't really even occur to me. I guess I should be glad that I got one match because my other answer that I strongly considered (James Bond's introduction in Dr. No) would have been unique.
Old 08-24-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure why you guys are so focused on this universe thing.

IT'S THE SAME NAME!!!
"Name another" does not equal "a different name."

YOUR SOUL IS MINE!
Old 08-24-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 796 Likes on 384 Posts

I've only seen 2 Bond movies in their entirety (both of them Brosnan films) and stayed out of the game because of that, but at this point, I'm beginning to think I should have played anyway. Even I could have gotten most of these answers.
Old 08-24-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

Wouldn't James Bond Jr. be a JBJ and not a JB?

BTW, Abob Teff, you skipped my answer for the last question, and missed an opportunity to make fun of me for wasting a precious {sd}. Shouldn't I have two more points?

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 08-24-16 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-24-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
OK ... going to take a break there. I'm not ignoring you Dooku, I was trying to get those few posted before I have to run (and I am already late). I will let the Sheep run free with this and will address it (nice Freudian slip majorjoe!) when I get back this afternoon.
Okay.

I am going to explain my challenges in one post, so that it is clear what I am saying.

This is the question: 6.) REVERSE: Name another famous “J.B.” from the fictional world of espionage

The stuff in the parentheses does not matter to me.

I read this as saying: The name James Bond is a famous J.B. from the FWoE, name another J.B. from the FWoE

Now, I ask you to stop right there and tell me if that is wrong and why.

If my interpretation of the question is correct, James Bond cannot be an acceptable answer because it is not naming another J.B.

The initials J.B. stand for the name James Bond.

Another means different.

James Bond, Jimmy Bond, James Bond Jr, and JB are not different. They are the same name.

This is not about universes and which movies are canon.

Those are not answers to the question. James Bond cannot be the answer to the question: name something other than James Bond that the initials J.B. can stand for.

Thank you. I am done now.
Old 08-24-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
"Name another" does not equal "a different name."
Alcoholics Anonymous is known by the initials AA

Name another AA

Alcoholics Anonymous

Unpack that as making sense and you can have my soul
Old 08-24-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,389 Posts

You make a good point Dooku. The initials should stand for something other than James Bond. Though I think a dog named JB is different since it's not an abbreviation for anything
Old 08-24-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts

You make a good point Dooku. The initials should stand for something other than James Bond. Though I think a dog named JB is different since it's not an abbreviation for anything
Well, technically the dog JB in Kingsman stands for Jack Bauer, at least according to Eggsy.
Old 08-24-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alcoholics Anonymous is known by the initials AA

Name another AA

Alcoholics Anonymous

Unpack that as making sense and you can have my soul
If, for some reason, there was another organization called Alcoholics Anonymous, like they wore masks and got together to drink, accepting their problem but not wanting to change, then it seems like it would be an acceptable answer.

In this case, we know that the other JBs named are not the same characters. So my soul is retained!
Old 08-24-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

So who said the 1960s and who said the 1990s?

1960s

Spoiler:

brainee 1960's {sd} -46
bunkaroo 1960's -23
cdollaz Sixties -23
Count Dooku 1960s -23
Crocker Jarmen the 1960s -23
Damfino 1960s {sd} -46
DaveNinja 60s -23
davidh777 1960s -23
Decker 1960s -23
devilshalo 60s -23
GhostLee 1960s -23
hasslein 60's -23
Kal-El 60s -23
majorjoe23 60s {sd} -46
Mr. Flix 1960s -23
mwbmis Sixties {sd} -46
Palaver 1960s {sd} -46
Shannon Nutt 1960s -23
sleepyhead55 1960s {sd} -46
Super X 1960s -23
The AllPurposeNothing 1960s -23
tommyp007 1960's {sd} -46
TomOpus 60's -23
wishbone '60s {sd} -46

That leaves just one Sheep ...

bradler

Did something mess up with the scoring? For the unanimous "favorite Bond" question everyone got -25. For this question, where everyone but 1 picked the 1960's they got -23. One of those two isn't right.

The scoring reflects only -23 for the decade question. Should we all (except bradler) get -1 more (and those who slammed -2 more)?

I'm fine with your JB scoring judgement. At a certain point the sheepmaster just has to make a ruling. Unfortunately sometimes it will impossible to please everyone. And you try to learn from the experience for the next game when making up questions (especially the reverses).
Old 08-24-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Standings after Q8:

Palaver -165
brainee -157
Oh man ... that Adele pick (over my first instinct Goldfinger) costs me the lead Please don't let that be the deciding difference later on (if I lose, let it be by more than 10).

Overall I can't be too upset with my game I've got a couple slams to come (including one that I think was the easiest sheepiest slam I've ever seen in a game!) But those reverse questions always foul me up and can be where things go wrong. And WTF about that stupid vegetable question!
Old 08-24-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

Alright, alright ...

Since I'm the only one that got screwed on the JB question, I say we accept the sheep master's ruling and move on.
Old 08-24-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,054 Likes on 868 Posts

I had already moved on but it's still being discussed. I think Dooku makes good points, but the question is a little ambiguous about whether the reference is to the name or the character. Because it could be the latter, I'm OK with the SM's decision.
Old 08-24-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I didnt pick "Jimmy Bond" to be tricky; i just had left it for last and couldnt think of the obvious choices. also, "Jimmy" does not always equal "James".
Old 08-24-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

-12 each

devilshalo Every Bond opening as he's sighted thru a gun barrel POV and he draws and shoots.
tommyp007 Gun barrel opening
sleepyhead55 intro where he shoots the gun and screen turns red
Mr. Flix Opening credits when Bond shoots the circle/screen (you know what I mean) {sd}
Kal-El Opening gun chamber iris shot with JB shooting at the screen
cdollaz Opening sequence where he walks, turns, and shoots at the audience
brainee the "shooting" graphic that opens most Bond movies (that you have a gif of above)
davidh777 The bleeding eyeball
Decker The image of Bond aiming down a gun barrel in the opening of every film
hasslein The Iris
Damfino The opening bit with Bond firing into the eye.
GhostLee The opening credits sequence with Bond shooting into the camera
I slammed that one, Abob, so I should get -24.
Old 08-24-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Okay.

I am going to explain my challenges in one post, so that it is clear what I am saying.

This is the question: 6.) REVERSE: Name another famous “J.B.” from the fictional world of espionage

The stuff in the parentheses does not matter to me.

I read this as saying: The name James Bond is a famous J.B. from the FWoE, name another J.B. from the FWoE

Now, I ask you to stop right there and tell me if that is wrong and why.

If my interpretation of the question is correct, James Bond cannot be an acceptable answer because it is not naming another J.B.

The initials J.B. stand for the name James Bond.

Another means different.

James Bond, Jimmy Bond, James Bond Jr, and JB are not different. They are the same name.

This is not about universes and which movies are canon.

Those are not answers to the question. James Bond cannot be the answer to the question: name something other than James Bond that the initials J.B. can stand for.

Thank you. I am done now.
For the record, I agree with all of this.
Old 08-24-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

My theme song right now

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.