Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pumpkinhead - remake

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pumpkinhead - remake

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 07:44 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Pumpkinhead - remake

EW can exclusively reveal that Saw franchise executive producer Peter Block has acquired the rights to the Pumpkinhead franchise and plans on shooting a reboot of the horror series in 2017. Block is currently looking for a filmmaker to direct the project, which he will produce, and which he plans to be a theatrical release.

The original 1988 Pumpkinhead starred Aliens actor Lance Henriksen as a man who summons the titular, terrifying creature to wreak vengeance on the teenagers responsible for his death of his son. The film was the directorial debut of late makeup effects legend Stan Winston and has over time accrued a large cult following. Pumpkinhead spawned one straight-to-video sequel, 1994’s Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings, and a brace of Syfy channel movies, 2006’s Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes and 2007’s Pumpkinhead: Blood Feud.

“Pumpkinhead is one of my favorite horror films of the late ’80s, early ’90s,” says Block whose credits also include producing John Carpenter’s 2010 film The Ward. “Stan Winston sits on that Mount Rushmore of iconic filmmakers because of his creature designs, and that was his first directing effort. The creature’s great but the emotional story is wonderful as well. I got the rights to Pumpkinhead, and hooked up with a great young writer called Nate Atkins, and we developed our script, which is really solid.”

Block describes the new film as having a lot in common with the original but not being a point-by-point remake. “There is a similarity of theme and a similarity of story,” he says. “There’s a lot of Easter eggs for people who know the original — iconic shots and iconic lines that we’re going to use. But we’ve enhanced the setting, and we’ve expanded the characters somewhat, to give it a different kind of experience.”

The producer hopes to start shooting early next year. “We’re just about to start going out looking for a director for it,” he says. “[We need] somebody who really understands why the first one is terrific, the emotional beats of ‘Is the revenge you seek worse than whatever befell you in the first place?’ But it’s also somebody that wants to embrace what I think audiences really want these days — a really scary, fun thrill-ride. You get a lot of people who want to be in this genre because they see the commercial opportunities. I’m looking for a director who has a love for the genre and knows how to get those beats for the audience.”

Block says the new film is currently titled Pumpkinhead and he is also looking to follow the lead of Winston’s first movie by using as much practical effects as possible. “I am a big proponent of practical effects,” he enthuses. “That was the great thing about the original. A lot of the films I still respond to most today, it’s because of the practical effects. We think that it’s going to be a nice slow reveal, lots of scares and lots of action in the beginning, and a great creature in the end, which everybody should be able to look at and say, ‘Oh, that’s Pumpkinhead!’ It’s not like you’re all of a sudden going to find that it’s some amorphous, nebulous, CGI wispy thing. You’re going to know it came from the Pumpkinhead family lineage.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/02/pumpkinhead-reboot
Old 08-02-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts
re: Pumpkinhead - remake

Pumpkinhead was a fun 80s horror flick but it's by no means untouchable. I look forward to a remake although I'm sure it will end up a straight-to-video mess.
Old 08-02-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Adds another remake/reboot to my skip list. The original is one of my favs to watch every October.
Old 08-02-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Update: In a gesture towards diversity, the movie will be titled "Bokchoyhead"

Old 08-07-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason this remake will fail is pretty simple: Stan Winston is dead.
Old 08-07-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
The reason this remake will fail is pretty simple: Stan Winston is dead.
Nah, they can just get the guys over at Legacy Effects to do the effects or hire Amalgamated Dynamics to do them. It's all about budget and story.

It can be done but I hope they don't redesign the character. Tom Woodruff Jr would have to play Pumpkinhead, though. If they go the CGI route then that will suck.
Old 08-07-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the thing, though. Redoing the film with the exact same design sounds entirely pointless. I just don't have faith that anyone else in the business can come up with another groundbreaking design as Winston did. His death left a MASSIVE hole in creature design and FX work. Sure, his contemporaries are capable but his creativity was boundless and unique.
Old 08-07-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Hmm, then I guess I don't really want a reboot anymore.
Old 08-08-16, 04:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
That's the thing, though. Redoing the film with the exact same design sounds entirely pointless.
Not necessarily. I would assume they're not going to do a direct remake and use the exact story/characters from the original film. It's more likely they are going to take the general premise and write a new story based on it... which frankly would be the right call. Plus the 'pseudosequel as a remake' thing seems to be fairly popular these days, like it or not. The original always struck me as a bit of a 'near miss'... cool creature and interesting premise, but the movie didn't deliver the way I'd hoped.

In an ideal world (not that I'm optimistic of it happening) a remake could capitalize off those elements that succeeded (including the creature) and fix the things that didn't. Granted, I think they'll still tinker with the design either way, but to me Pumpkinhead as an intellectual property IS that creature.
Old 08-08-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts

In my perfect world they would create a new Pumpkinhead using practical effects and create an atmosphere reminiscent of Trick r Treat with a new story and characters around it.

...and throw Lance Henrickson in there somewhere.
Old 11-15-21, 01:48 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Pumpkinhead - remake

Every horror fan knows Paramount Pictures, but Paramount Players is quietly building out quite the horror library. They were not only behind last year’s Spell, but also this October’s Paranormal Activity: The Next of Kin, and are also in production on several horror films from Orphan: First Kill to the Pet Sematary prequel, Something’s Wrong With Rose and Curfew.

The production label is looking hard into developing existing intellectual properties, which is why they’re conjuring up a remake of Pumpkinhead, Bloody Disgusting learned exclusively.

Lance Henriksen starred in the original Stan Winston-directed 1988 creature feature as Ed Harley, a grieving father who conjures up the titular monster in an effort to kill those who took his young son from him.

We hear a script is completed and that production is ramping up. Hoping to have director news in the coming months.

A few years back, Peter Block was announced to be producing the new film from a screenplay by Nate Atkins.

The franchise spawned three sequels, the 1994 Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings, as well as the made-for-TV follows ups Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes and Pumpkinhead: Blood Feud, broadcast on Syfy in October 2006 and on February 10, 2007, respectively. (wiki)

Pumpkinhead was also turned into a comic book and even a poorly-received video game, Bloodwings: Pumpkinhead’s Revenge, back in 1995.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...sic-exclusive/