DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/635371-suicide-squad-ayer-2016-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

E Unit 12-27-16 08:52 AM

Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

You should watch it. It's almost like Deadpool.

Unclejosh 12-27-16 12:05 PM

After reading Rose McGowan's thoughts on Leto's method of acting in this movie where she claims he sexually assaulted Margot Robbie but under the guise of remaining in character even while non filming, I wonder what actually happened and how bad it got. Didn't she refuse to do press with him and I read a blind item that said he will not be allowed in any other films she is doing as Harley Quinn as her husband is producing them and won't have it. I knew he was way out there filming and had done some weird stuff to the cast but maybe it was worse than reported and is being swept under the rug Hollywood style?

Giantrobo 12-27-16 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12976190)
Pretty much. OCD'ers up in herr! :lol:

I'm soooo cooool with this. The more they(I hate DC films folks with OCD) buy them, the more they'll keep making these films even with the overwhelming hate they get. WIN WIN for me. :D:up:

The Antipodean 12-27-16 01:49 PM

Finally saw this and it was.... OK. I don't think it or BvS are the worst movies ever, but they sure seem lacking compared to the slick confidence of the Marvel turnout lately. In some ways they remind me of the pre-2000 comic book movie experience where you generally were hoping they didn't screw things up TOO badly and were pleasantly surprised when there were good bits.

There was the POTENTIAL for an excellent instead of a merely mildly entertaining movie here - unlike many, I did like Leto's Joker a lot and he really should've been the main villain somehow instead of the underwhelming Enchantress, the shit zombies and Electrodude her brother whose name I don't even remember hearing in the movie. I thought Robbie, Courtney and Hernandez were all pretty good with what they were given and while Smith's Deadshot really was just another Will Smith role, it wasn't terrible. But the movie just felt like PRODUCT which at this point just seems the DC House style - slick, soulless imagery and not enough to care about. Maybe they'll right the ship with WW and Justice League but at this point it seems to have settled in too much.

DJariya 12-27-16 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12976190)
Pretty much. OCD'ers up in herr! :lol:

:lol: Exactly. Some here have proclaimed this is one of the worst comic movies that have ever seen, yet 1 year from now, I'm betting they'll gobble it up when it's under $10 because they have to own every fucking comic book movie on BD. Even if they hate it with every fiber of their being.

Heck, even a few comments later, some have said I didn't really like the movie, but I don't mind owning it for under $10.

I think a few in this forum even bought Batman v Superman during the Holiday sales when it was 8.99 or 9.99 even when so many of them shit on it in the reviews thread.

It's that fricking collector mentality. :lol:

For the record, a friend of mine gave it to me for Christmas. I'll probably watch the Unrated cut in the next few days.

The $25 price point right now IMO is way too expensive. I probably would have waited until it hit under $15 in a few months.

Mike86 12-27-16 02:45 PM

There are certain films that are just that way though. I might like things about them but on a whole don't love. This just happens to be a comic film that's like that. There are plenty of films that are comic related I hate and will never own such as Green Lantern, the Fantastic Four films (though I bought the 2015 version out of curiosity when the price was low), Elektra, Daredevil, etc. So it's not like I'm just an OCD fanboy for everything comic related.

Abob Teff 12-27-16 09:39 PM

I had given this some thought, and no I won't be buying it even at the $10 price point. I am not a true completionist, but I'll admit to buying things I was lukewarm on. Sometimes the extras are worth it. I rented SS from Redbox, so I did not see the extended cut or any the extras but I don't have any desire to. What is sad is I would have blind-bought it, maybe even at $15. Now that I have seen it though, no ... I disliked it that much. Release it with the original cut and I might get it out of curiosity.

I own Green Lantern (I actually liked it). I own the first Fantastic Four, but none after that. No Daredevil, Ghost Rider, or Elektra. I don't have Thor 2. Burton's first Batman yes, but none after that until the Nolan films. Now that I am older and bargains are rarer, it is easier to just say no.

fujishig 12-28-16 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh (Post 12976532)
After reading Rose McGowan's thoughts on Leto's method of acting in this movie where she claims he sexually assaulted Margot Robbie but under the guise of remaining in character even while non filming, I wonder what actually happened and how bad it got. Didn't she refuse to do press with him and I read a blind item that said he will not be allowed in any other films she is doing as Harley Quinn as her husband is producing them and won't have it. I knew he was way out there filming and had done some weird stuff to the cast but maybe it was worse than reported and is being swept under the rug Hollywood style?

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this him sending the cast members used condoms and anal beads and whatnot? Or are you saying he actually sexually assaulted (instead of sexually harassed) her?

Unclejosh 12-28-16 09:06 AM

That is what Rose Mcgowan alleged that he sexually assaulted her under the guise of being in character and taking liberties he shouldn't. Per the blind item I read it said her husband will not allow Leto on the same set anymore as he is producing the Harley Quinn movie. Who knows though.

Mike86 12-28-16 09:45 AM

Honestly the things Leto was doing as "Joker gags" or whatever went pretty over the line if you ask me. I think we'd have heard some more rumblings if him sexually assaulting Robbie or anyone is true but who knows.

Giantrobo 12-28-16 11:02 AM

Pfft. If it were Daniel Day Lewis sending rats and anal beads you guys would be praising him and calling him Genius. :lol:

Mike86 12-28-16 11:16 AM

Nope. Anyone doing stuff like sending anal beads, used condoms, dead rats, or whatever is fucked in the head. If he really feels the need to do that under the guise of some method acting bullshit there's something wrong with him.

brayzie 12-28-16 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12977178)
Pfft. If it were Daniel Day Lewis sending rats and anal beads you guys would be praising him and calling him Genius. :lol:

Or had Jared Leto given a Daniel Day Lewis-quality level performance some people would be justifying it.

Instead his Joker turned out to be less than impressive, and now it's like, what was the point?

I'm kind of surprised that he went R/NC-17 with his method acting for a PG-13 movie. Now if Anthony Hopkins or Ted Levine had done this for Silence of the Lambs, people would be like "ohhh, I can see how that made it work..."

EddieMoney 12-28-16 02:16 PM

As all around terrible as this movie was, Leto really stuck out for me. His performance was perhaps the worst in the film. What an unholy mess of a movie. My God. What a sick fucking joke. Total garbage. Thank God I got it on sale for $20.

inri222 12-28-16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12977285)
Total garbage. Thank God I got it on sale for $20.

You paid $20??? WTF

Risky stuff like this I wait out until it's like $5. Did it for Prometheus & Genysis and I still regret spending $10 for those 2 turds.

EddieMoney 12-28-16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12977287)
You paid $20??? WTF

;)

I was joking. I paid $3 for the digital and feel like I got taken for about $2.99.

Abob Teff 12-28-16 02:44 PM

I suppose it's better that DC gets the $3 rather than the ex getting it. Although, you were just as violated either way. ;)

robin2099 12-29-16 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh (Post 12976532)

Well Rose McGowan has also somewhat lost her mind recently and seems like she is going through mental issues. Plus considering how she did press with him and the entire cast was on Conan together I would call this story bs. But who knows for sure.

Giantrobo 12-29-16 12:19 PM

I think the only one who was openly disturbed to the point of "Leto is fucked up, keep him away from me"...at least at first, was Viola Davis.

Giantrobo 12-29-16 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 12977190)
Or had Jared Leto given a Daniel Day Lewis-quality level performance some people would be justifying it.

Instead his Joker turned out to be less than impressive, and now it's like, what was the point?

I'm kind of surprised that he went R/NC-17 with his method acting for a PG-13 movie. Now if Anthony Hopkins or Ted Levine had done this for Silence of the Lambs, people would be like "ohhh, I can see how that made it work..."

Naw, I think it worked as much any other method acting shenanigans do.. This Joker is a "sick murderous fuck". The times he came anywhere near the others they all seemed to be creeped out and scared of him. :up:

brayzie 12-30-16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12977855)
Naw, I think it worked as much any other method acting shenanigans do.. This Joker is a "sick murderous fuck". The times he came anywhere near the others they all seemed to be creeped out and scared of him. :up:

Good point. I was thinking in terms of overall performance, not how his co-stars would respond to him. However, I disagree that his method acting "worked as much" as any other.

Heath Ledger's form of method acting for his role as the Joker resulted in something really new and different. The effect was a truly disturbing character even when he's only talking off screen. Leto's Joker seemed to be merely a variation of Ledger's.

I would have liked to have seen a Joker that was a stronger contrast to the one we saw in TDK. Maybe a more effeminate or dandy-type like in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, although I doubt that would fly in 2016.

An interesting article on method acting I found.

Thrush 12-30-16 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12977855)

I didnt think Leto's Joker worked on any level. He didn't seem scary or dangerous or unhinged. Just seemed like a douche with green hair.

EddieMoney 12-30-16 09:09 AM

The scene where he is lying on the ground, surrounded by carefully placed knives and guns, and starts cackling...I physically cringed and recoiled, and very nearly shit my pants.

dex14 12-30-16 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12978286)
The scene where he is lying on the ground, surrounded by carefully placed knives and guns, and starts cackling...I physically cringed and recoiled, and very nearly shit my pants.

This seems to happen a lot. Have you gotten this checked out? Do you wear depends these days?

Artman 12-30-16 09:21 AM

About what I expected - some fun moments, good visuals, most of the characters I liked. Not something I see myself revisiting often enough to warrant a purchase, I'll probably just stick with the main Justice League story line/characters for the collection.

EddieMoney 12-30-16 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12978291)
This seems to happen a lot. Have you gotten this checked out? Do you wear depends these days?

Na, no need to. I come close to shitting myself, but never actually do. Doctor says to stay away from bad movies.

Mike86 12-30-16 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12978286)

Yeah, Leto just seemed to be trying too hard the whole film. That scene in particular is pretty cringe worthy because of his stupid cackling laugh and how orchestrated the whole thing looks. As if he'd really have the room set up perfectly just like that so he could lay there. I just don't like rockstar/gangster/meth head Joker.

Double_Oh_7 12-30-16 11:49 AM

What a POS movie. Harley and Joker should have been the centerpiece of it all, but Leto's performance was so atrocious it's best he was just a peripheral character. And was there even a plot? It was a bunch of music montages strung together...

Josh-da-man 12-30-16 09:12 PM

I don't know that the blame for The Joker can be laid on Leto. The part was just badly written. The Joker didn't really have a lot to do in the movie. Aside from Harley's flashbacks (which were more about her) and Mistah J showing up in a handful of brief scenes trying to get Harley, there wasn't anything for him to do. There was really no chance to establish the Joker as much of anything other than a minor antagonist.

I want to see him being a savage, crazed beast. Let him kill Robin in an upcoming Batman movie (and not in a twi minute flashback). Adapt "Death in the Family" as part of a Batman movie.

GoldenJCJ 12-30-16 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 12978211)
I would have liked to have seen a Joker that was a stronger contrast to the one we saw in TDK. Maybe a more effeminate or dandy-type like in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, although I doubt that would fly in 2016.

After watching Vice Principals I say Walton Goggins as the next Joker!

Mike86 12-30-16 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12978760)
I don't know that the blame for The Joker can be laid on Leto. The part was just badly written. The Joker didn't really have a lot to do in the movie. Aside from Harley's flashbacks (which were more about her) and Mistah J showing up in a handful of brief scenes trying to get Harley, there wasn't anything for him to do. There was really no chance to establish the Joker as much of anything other than a minor antagonist.

I want to see him being a savage, crazed beast. Let him kill Robin in an upcoming Batman movie (and not in a twi minute flashback). Adapt "Death in the Family" as part of a Batman movie.

I have a feeling that Leto inspired much of the character's look in the film which I'm sorry is God awful. The performance should outweigh how a character looks in normal circumstances but he just looked fucking stupid. He may not have had a bunch to do but what was shown wasn't impressive to me in the slightest. I've said it before but it seems like Leto and the filmmakers thought they had to take the character to ridiculous levels to to Ledger and they just didn't accomplish that at all. Warner is probably to blame partially because there's no doubt The Joker was shoehorned into the film for little reason than to promote that he's in the film but regardless the way they went about handling the character was poorly done on all fronts.

fumanstan 01-08-17 09:14 PM

Finally saw this on a plane to Europe, and enjoyed it more then I thought I would. It's nothing special or particularly great, but I didn't find it to be that terrible at all and enjoyed it more then BvS. I actually liked all the funky editing and music montage stuff that I assume they added after the trailer reaction, and i'm a sucker for those character intro moments. I just wish the plot was better, as the enchantress stuff seemed pretty silly to me and it's convenient they formed the team for what seemed like a self-inflicted problem. And yeah, Joker was absolutely terrible in this and should have left his role to Harley flashbacks.

But I really enjoyed most of all the other characters, especially Deadshot and Harley. Their "friendship" worked for me through most of the movie and they were entertaining to watch. Wish they were smarter about adding cannon fodder like Slipknot, who doesn't get an intro like the rest of the team and used just so they can kill off someone though.

Lastblade 01-09-17 08:42 AM

This movie was a mess. For a superhero movie, none of the action scenes made an impact. They were really boring and uneventful.

None of the characters were very interesting, but they did tried. Quinn didn't make much sense to me, I know she fell for the Joker and went off the deep end but it seems forced the way they showed it. Boomerang guy is under used, not sure why he is even there. Ditto for Croc, I guess someone had to plant the bomb, but it turns out he really wasn't needed anyway. Diablo is actually the most interesting character and wish he showed his powers more instead of hero shot Will Smith.

The best scene was Waller scene near the end, that was shocking.

mattysemo247 01-24-17 02:47 PM

a reply from David Ayer on Twitter, after someone saying how much they enjoyed the film:

Jody @PensFanboy
So thankful for suicide squad @DavidAyerMovies exactly the way it is. It's a masterpiece, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2uzOpGUUAAL7yf.jpg:small

Kal-El 01-24-17 02:59 PM

Well, at least we know he got the memo to pivot to how much money the movie made in case how terrible the actual movie was comes up again. Which is kinda weird since he's the one that brings it up. :lol:

Giantrobo 01-24-17 03:00 PM

If real :up: He seems to to get the criticisms and learned from them.

inri222 01-24-17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12996021)
If real :up: He seems to to get the criticisms and learned from them.

Just like Ridley Scott ;)

Abob Teff 01-24-17 05:56 PM

Alternative criticisms?

devilshalo 01-24-17 06:18 PM

Too much Will Smith for my taste. I can't imagine a solo Deadshot movie with just him.

islandclaws 01-24-17 07:34 PM

I can't believe he JUST NOW realized that Joker should have been the main villain. What better way to focus on him without making him part of the squad? This was a movie of missed opportunities and expository writing so obtuse it should be grounds for execution... but in some weird, "alternative intelligence" kind of way I enjoyed most of it. The screenplay is dogshit, no question, but visually I was sold.