Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts
re: Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

"Is there a sign on the front of my ship that says dead Klingon storage?"
Old 12-08-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
Please please please bring back Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard once more. That would be amazing to see one last time. One of my favorite actors and my favorite of the Trek shows. I’m wondering because Tarantino cited the TNG episode Yesterday’s Enterprise as one of his favorites. Maybe he could draw some inspiration from that to bring back the Enterprise D crew back in some capacity or at least Patrick Stewart.
I'm convinced at least some of TNG crew are part of Tarantino's pitch. And that we'll eventually see the characters in the new timeline. Keep the current re-boot crew. Bring in Walter Koenig as Old Chekhov to give some closure there. Shatner one more time. And let's see Nichelle Nichols who hasn't been been seen in the series since 1991. A Tarantino Trek with everyone!
Old 12-08-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts

They can all come out of the nexus as the new timeline Trek people find them.
Old 12-08-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I'm convinced at least some of TNG crew are part of Tarantino's pitch. And that we'll eventually see the characters in the new timeline. Keep the current re-boot crew. Bring in Walter Koenig as Old Chekhov to give some closure there. Shatner one more time. And let's see Nichelle Nichols who hasn't been been seen in the series since 1991. A Tarantino Trek with everyone!
That would be amazing. I would have never in my wildest dreams imagined this being possible and with Tarantino of all people behind it but if he’s got an idea and can make this happen then make it fucking so Paramount. This franchise needs a good jolt to get back on track again and this is the kind of thing to excite fanboys with.
Old 12-21-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts

DECEMBER 21, 2017 4:02pm PT by Aaron Couch
Quentin Tarantino's 'Star Trek' Movie Taps 'Revenant' Screenwriter

Smith, best known for penning Leonardo DiCaprio's The Revenant, is boarding the Star Trek film Tarantino is developing with producer J.J. Abrams
, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The project first came to light earlier this month, when news broke that Tarantino had shared a pitch for a Star Trek film with Abrams, and the two had agreed to bring together a writers room to develop the film at Paramount, with Tarantino eyeing the director's seat.

The idea of a Tarantino-helmed Star Trek comes nearly a decade after Abrams revitalized the franchise for the big screen with his 2009 reboot Star Trek, and followed it up with 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness. The most recent outing, Justin Lin's Star Trek Beyond (2016), got strong reviews but earned the least in the rebooted film series with just $343.4 million worldwide.

Tarantino is a longtime fan and shared his love for Star Trek in a 2015 Nerdist podcast interview.

"The only thing that limited them was their '60s budget and eight-day shooting schedule," he said. "You could take some of the classic Star Trek episodes and easily expand them to 90 minutes or more and really do some amazing, amazing stuff." The filmmaker also declared Star Trek: The Next Generation's "Yesterday's Enterprise" as one of the best Star Trek episodes ever written.

Tarantino's next film is an untitled Charles Manson-themed project, which is due out in 2019.
Old 12-22-17, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

It'll be a Mirror Universe story. George Kirk is still alive there. They can have all the violence and depravity over there that they could never show on TV.
Old 12-22-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,060 Posts

You could get an R-rating by putting in an F-bomb and ramping up the violence (which Discovery has already done) and it would be just fine.

I've never been enamored with Tarantino as a director but I'm all for a new take on Trek!
Old 12-22-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 396 Likes on 283 Posts

Personally I view an R rated Trek the same way as I would an R rated Star Wars or even what they did with Discovery. It's a sad and cheap way to try and get more business. Personally I have a love hate with the reboot JJ did back in 09 it was a great movie but it lacked cohesiveness with what came before it. I liked the last few movies in the reboot and I see no reason to change up direction and go for an R rating. I can now enjoy the new movies as a series seperate from the Shatner stuff or Next Generation but it took some time to feel that way.

I love Tarintions early work RD/PF but I really wouldn't enjoy seeing that blended into this universe. At best I would watch this on HBO but I wouldnt pony up for movie tickets.
Old 12-22-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
It'll be a Mirror Universe story. George Kirk is still alive there. They can have all the violence and depravity over there that they could never show on TV.
I hope Mirror Kirk cuts off one of Spock's ears with a straight razor while jamming to "Stuck in the Middle with You."
Old 12-22-17, 05:44 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So Samuel L is gonna be like, “I’m tired of these motherfuckin’ whales on my motherfuckin’ Bird of Prey.”
Old 12-22-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hasn't it been determined QT is only providing the story idea but isn't writing (obviously) or directing?
Old 12-22-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Hasn't it been determined QT is only providing the story idea but isn't writing (obviously) or directing?
I'll only see it if QT is writing the whole script and directing!
Old 12-23-17, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Personally I view an R rated Trek the same way as I would an R rated Star Wars or even what they did with Discovery. It's a sad and cheap way to try and get more business. Personally I have a love hate with the reboot JJ did back in 09 it was a great movie but it lacked cohesiveness with what came before it. I liked the last few movies in the reboot and I see no reason to change up direction and go for an R rating. I can now enjoy the new movies as a series seperate from the Shatner stuff or Next Generation but it took some time to feel that way.

I love Tarintions early work RD/PF but I really wouldn't enjoy seeing that blended into this universe. At best I would watch this on HBO but I wouldnt pony up for movie tickets.

Really? I had the opposite reaction. I really didn't like how different the remake was and had some real issues with the design and everything until, what I thought was a brilliant move, in that they made it an alternate timeline so all the changes were justifiable.
Old 12-23-17, 09:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

this has Gorn written all over it.
Old 12-23-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

"I want you to go in that bag and find my tricorder."

"Which one is it?"

Old 12-23-17, 12:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Every article i’ve seen says he is still going to direct it
Old 01-23-18, 03:26 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Found this on IO9 just now.
Old 01-25-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't care how this film plays out, as long as Welshie replaces Scotty.
Old 01-25-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Is this going to be the fourth nuTrek movie, or something completely different? Nobody has really said much about the cast or what era it will take place in, though I've heard Patrick Stewart might put in an appearance.
Old 01-25-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

I’m curious too what Tarantino has in mind if he is indeed doing this film. I think the Abrams cast would be the logical route to go and maybe work in cameos from other actors from previous versions of Trek. If he’s getting inspiration from Yesterday’s Enterprise that could easily work as that episode involved time travel. He’s cited that as one of his favorite episodes so that’s why I kind of think it might be along those lines.
Old 01-25-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Star Trek shows are pretty plot heavy, can Tarantino pull this together in under a 4 hour cut?

Seriously though, I have had some issues with his last couple of movies but I think something like this could be the opportunity to sort of focus his art and get him out of his self indulgent pretentious box he has built for himself.

Ultimately cant see it happening, but I would be there day 1
Old 04-16-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

While we wait for the next official Star Trek movie, we have this Trek related work of art to look forward to.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/star-tre...rs-1202365710/
Old 04-17-18, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tarantino + Star Trek = dumbest idea of all time.
Old 04-17-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 202 Posts

OR Greatest.
Old 04-17-18, 10:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Neither.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.