Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Old 06-13-19, 09:40 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

Just save some whales and call it a day.
Old 06-14-19, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 989 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Just save some whales and call it a day.
Yes! I've always wanted to know what happened to Gracie's kid
Old 06-14-19, 01:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I've shifted my view from thinking it would be cool if this movie gets made, to something along the lines of the above quote. Seriously, what can you accomplish in an R rated ST that you can't in a PG-13 one? In my eyes, ST is such a well established family friendly franchise that I just don't see how an R rated feature film ever happens. I think it would tarnish the brand.
That’s pretty much why I made that comment. Anyone can take the right guess if Roddenberry were alive today, what his answer would be if asked if a Rated-R Star Trek would ever be an option. You would alienate half of the world of ST fans. Tarantino would only do it “because it would be cool”. I doubt he could give one valid reason as to why we need a film like that. He should go do an Alien film instead and leave this franchise alone.
Old 06-14-19, 09:25 PM

Received 2,002 Likes on 1,178 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Discovery pushed some limits in the first season (haven't watched second yet...) and I can't help but think it was really unnecessary. They had an otherwise interesting story going on, pulling it back so the gore and nudity wasn't present wouldn't have hurt the story at all. As it is it's the one Trek I can't show my kid yet.
I think that's a fair point. My kids like TOS, have seen some TNG, and we're working our way through the movies (halfway through IV now and they love it). While I haven't seen Discovery yet, from what I've heard it wont be something I watch with them.

An older woman who works at a local store in my neighborhood loves Star Trek and we talk Trek whenever we're in the store. She's been a Trekkie since the beginning, back to TOS days, even wears an insignia lapel pin at work, which is how we hit it off. She was so excited for Discovery she got the CBS online pass, her first-ever online TV service. A few weeks later I asked her how it's going and she was sad, saying she got rid of it because of the sex and violence. She said she's no prude but it's not Star Trek for her anymore. I think that's a real bummer.
Old 06-15-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I think that's a fair point. My kids like TOS, have seen some TNG, and we're working our way through the movies (halfway through IV now and they love it). While I haven't seen Discovery yet, from what I've heard it wont be something I watch with them.

An older woman who works at a local store in my neighborhood loves Star Trek and we talk Trek whenever we're in the store. She's been a Trekkie since the beginning, back to TOS days, even wears an insignia lapel pin at work, which is how we hit it off. She was so excited for Discovery she got the CBS online pass, her first-ever online TV service. A few weeks later I asked her how it's going and she was sad, saying she got rid of it because of the sex and violence. She said she's no prude but it's not Star Trek for her anymore. I think that's a real bummer.
When The Orville is more Star Trek than the actual new Star Trek series there's a real problem.

(Having said that, The Orville is great, so there's no shame in that being the better series, but the fact that it is more in the spirit and style of Star Trek than Discovery is, well, that's kind of sad.)
Old 06-20-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,945 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Full-frontal female alien nudity.
I'm down for some green Orion bush and white Andorian bush.

Old 06-20-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

^ Except Orions don't have green hair.

I'd be interested in seeing a Klingon mating scene though.
Old 06-20-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Star Trek for me will always be TOS and TNG. Deep Space Nine and Voyager actually still felt like Star Trek but I am just not into them enough to watch them over and over like I can the fist two series.

My hatred of the three new films is probably well known by now so I won't go into it anymore. I tried Discovery but it just doesn't feel like Trek to me. If I wanted to watch a sci-fi show set in space where I need to see my psychiatrist afterwards I can put on the remake of BSG.

I am not a Tarantino fan so I have no interest in whatever he does or doesn't do.

I expect the new Picard series to shit all over the character as much as Luke was in the new Star Wars films.
Old 06-20-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Star Trek for me will always be TOS and TNG. Deep Space Nine and Voyager actually still felt like Star Trek but I am just not into them enough to watch them over and over like I can the fist two series.

My hatred of the three new films is probably well known by now so I won't go into it anymore. I tried Discovery but it just doesn't feel like Trek to me. If I wanted to watch a sci-fi show set in space where I need to see my psychiatrist afterwards I can put on the remake of BSG.

I am not a Tarantino fan so I have no interest in whatever he does or doesn't do.

I expect the new Picard series to shit all over the character as much as Luke was in the new Star Wars films.
How's living head down in the sand in past doing for you?
Old 06-20-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
How's living head down in the sand in past doing for you?
Down here in the sand is great because shitty versions of Star Trek aren't shown.
Old 06-21-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Down here in the sand is great because shitty versions of Star Trek aren't shown.
Only "Spock's Brain" on endless repeat.

In any event, there will never be a Star Trek 4 with the Pine/Quinto/Urban/Zaldana cast so none of this really matters.
Old 06-21-19, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its pretty safe to say that all of them would be more likely to return if it was a Tarantino storyline and especially if he was also directing.
Old 12-16-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
Re: Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Quentin Tarantino "Steering Away" From His Planned 'Star Trek' Movie
DECEMBER 16, 2019 12:32PM by Graeme McMillan

The filmmaker has been attached to the franchise since 2017.

Bad news for those who hoped to see Quentin Tarantino head into space to lend his talents to Starfleet: In a new interview, the Once Upon A Time in Hollywood director suggests that, despite earlier reports, he won’t be getting involved with the Star Trek franchise after all.

“I think I’m steering away from Star Trek, but I haven’t had an official conversation with those guys yet,” Tarantino told Consequence of Sound when talking about his future plans, and whether a potential Trek would count as one of the 10 movies he’s talked about making before retiring.

He went on, “In a strange way, it seems like this movie, Hollywood, would be my last. So, I’ve kind of taken the pressure off myself to make that last big voil kind of statement. I mean to such a degree there was a moment when I was writing and went, ‘Should I do this now? Should I do something else? Is this the 10th one?’ No, no don’t stop the planets from aligning, what are you, Galactus? If the Earth is saying do it, do it.”

It’s been two years since Tarantino’s involvement in the franchise was first revealed, with Revenant screenwriter Mark L. Smith signing on to script based on Tarantino’s idea just weeks after the project’s existence was revealed. During the press tour for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this summer, he spoke about Trek openly as though it was still something that had his interest.

With Tarantino’s seeming retreat from the idea, it’s unclear what will happen to the project; as recently as last week, ViacomCBS CEO Bob Bakish was talking about two separate Star Trek movies in active development, beyond the multiple television Treks in the works for CBS All Access. Presumably, one of those films was Tarantino's and the other was Star Trek 4, to be written and directed by Noah Hawley.
Old 12-16-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,176 Likes on 916 Posts

Thats a shame, but at the same time it kind of felt like a pipe dream project that wouldnt happen so I cant say Im overly surprised. Id totally be up for seeing Tarantino doing something with Trek if something changes but I wont hold my breath for it.
Old 12-16-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I really wasn't enthusiastic about Tarantino doing star trek. Frankly, his creativity is better used on original material anyway - the star trek franchise would hamstring him too much and a true Tarantino ST universe would likely look nothing like where the series is today.
Old 12-16-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

"I haven't had an official conversation..." WTF? Paramount has sure been acting like they've had official conversations. Must be a money thing.
Old 12-16-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver
I really wasn't enthusiastic about Tarantino doing star trek. Frankly, his creativity is better used on original material anyway - the star trek franchise would hamstring him too much and a true Tarantino ST universe would likely look nothing like where the series is today.
I think Trek could benefit from outside thinkers pitching ideas for Trek stories, as long as Trek insiders made sure to craft into something that fits within the Star Trek universe. Like Nicholas Meyer for Wrath of Khan.
Old 12-16-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think Trek could benefit from outside thinkers pitching ideas for Trek stories, as long as Trek insiders made sure to craft into something that fits within the Star Trek universe. Like Nicholas Meyer for Wrath of Khan.
That ship has long since sailed with Trek. My point is Tarantino wouldn't want his creativity hampered by 'crafting' his story into something else. I reminded of Harlan Ellison and City on the Edge of Forever - I had heard for years (probably from HE himself) how his original vision was ruined but when I finally read HE's script, I thought it was just awful in terms of "Trek-ness" I think the same would be true of QT - the man's got an ego too that's for sure, and I don't think he could work within the Star Trek "bible" to limit his options.

Just my opinion though, doesn't sound like I'll even get to find out if I'm right or wrong I'd rather ST stick to the small screen; I've always wanted ST to solicit more scripts from actual scifi writers like they did in TOS (Ellison, Gerrold, Sturgeon, and others) but that'll never happen for similar reasons to why I don't think QT would actually make an ST movie
Old 12-16-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,117 Posts

I love Tarantino but a QT Star Trek Movie never really interested me.

After reading that interview above, Quentin really seems to be painting himself into a corner with that 10 film stuff. Hes going to drive himself crazy with which movie to pick as his 10th film.
Old 12-16-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder which "good director gone bad" spooked him into thinking he should never attempt to direct more than 10 movies?
Old 12-17-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver
That ship has long since sailed with Trek. My point is Tarantino wouldn't want his creativity hampered by 'crafting' his story into something else. I reminded of Harlan Ellison and City on the Edge of Forever - I had heard for years (probably from HE himself) how his original vision was ruined but when I finally read HE's script, I thought it was just awful in terms of "Trek-ness" I think the same would be true of QT - the man's got an ego too that's for sure, and I don't think he could work within the Star Trek "bible" to limit his options.
In retrospect, it was. But at the time, Star Trek was still in it's first season and had only actually completed a handful of shows. So those characters hadn't really been fully developed yet and HE wanted to take them down a different path.
Old 12-17-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,945 Posts

Yeah, but even then, a lot of stuff from Ellison's original "City on the Edge of Forever" script didn't fit in with Star Trek, like when Kirk beamed down to the planet to have that crewman executed by firing squad. I mean, holy shit! The original script felt like more of an Outer Limits episode than an episode of Star Trek.

All in all, I think D.C. Fontana did a bang-up job on the re-write. It still maintained the essence of Ellison's script, but also made it into a classic episode of the series.
Old 12-17-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,497 Likes on 946 Posts

Tarantino could bring back Harry Mudd. QT would be right at home with the kind of guy who sells "wives" to miners or gives Spock roofies. He could go as deep into R-rated territory as he wants with that character. Keep the humor around the command officers and then reveal how he treats his sexualized androids when no one is watching.
Old 12-17-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
I wonder which "good director gone bad" spooked him into thinking he should never attempt to direct more than 10 movies?
His rationale was that someone in the future looking at one of his movies and wanting to see more should be able to expect all of his filmography to be great. But by announcing it, hes putting all this undue pressure on the so-called magic number and psyching himself out.

I have a suspicion that hes trying to model this off of Sergio Leone who only directed like seven movies.
Old 12-17-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast

I have a suspicion that hes trying to model this off of Sergio Leone who only directed like seven movies.
Sidebar: I've always wondered what directors like this do for income when they're only directing a few things over their career? Are they doing things like screenwriting/producing?
I don't see folks like this waiting tables in between gigs.