Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

Old 06-11-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Star Trek 4 -- news, rumors, etc.

While it could be interesting, I don't think they would approve an R-rated Star Trek.
Old 06-11-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing in the Star Trek universe warrants an R-rating.
Old 06-11-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
While it could be interesting, I don't think they would approve an R-rated Star Trek.
I mean Discovery would probably be TV-MA if it was on a regular network. I think if Paramount could market this as a film involving Tarantino they’d go for it. Whether he directs, produces, or writes it being able to slap his name on it and if he has a vision for why it should be R I can’t see why they wouldn’t. Trek needs a kick in the pants to get going again.
Old 06-11-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Full-frontal female alien nudity.
Old 06-11-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I mean some of the shows, particularly Deep Space Nine pushed the envelope pretty far. Looking back at that show in particular I actually think they could have done more back in the day, but that’s before anyone would even have fathomed the idea of making it more mature by having a higher tv rating.
Old 06-11-19, 08:10 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I would love one more good movie with the reboot cast then move on to something else.
Old 06-11-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wait until you see a Star Trek movie filled to the gills with the N-word!

And of course Spock’s “Bad Motherfucker” phaser.
Old 06-11-19, 09:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I love QT to death, but no for this. Not at all. Long soliloquies, brutal deaths after tremendous build up. Not Star Trek.
Old 06-12-19, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When QT says he still has to give notes on the script, that indicates this project is a LONG way from starting...if it ever happens at all.
Old 06-12-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

do you think he is capable of a PG -13 movie?
Old 06-12-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
do you think he is capable of a PG -13 movie?
Yes, but would it be any good? He'd be too handcuffed to go against his natural style.
Old 06-12-19, 11:20 AM

This will never happen. At the rate they're going, though, a 4th movie with this cast will never happen, either.

The problem is they hired really good, high-demand actors so they have to juggle schedules and paydays. While I love the original cast, they were neither juggling schedules or paydays...
Old 06-12-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll be down for it. But i doubt it will happen
Old 06-12-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've shifted my view from thinking it would be cool if this movie gets made, to something along the lines of the above quote. Seriously, what can you accomplish in an R rated ST that you can't in a PG-13 one? In my eyes, ST is such a well established family friendly franchise that I just don't see how an R rated feature film ever happens. I think it would tarnish the brand.
Old 06-12-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Discovery pushed some limits in the first season (haven't watched second yet...) and I can't help but think it was really unnecessary. They had an otherwise interesting story going on, pulling it back so the gore and nudity wasn't present wouldn't have hurt the story at all. As it is it's the one Trek I can't show my kid yet.
Old 06-13-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Just save some whales and call it a day.
Old 06-14-19, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Just save some whales and call it a day.
Yes! I've always wanted to know what happened to Gracie's kid
Old 06-14-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I've shifted my view from thinking it would be cool if this movie gets made, to something along the lines of the above quote. Seriously, what can you accomplish in an R rated ST that you can't in a PG-13 one? In my eyes, ST is such a well established family friendly franchise that I just don't see how an R rated feature film ever happens. I think it would tarnish the brand.
That’s pretty much why I made that comment. Anyone can take the right guess if Roddenberry were alive today, what his answer would be if asked if a Rated-R Star Trek would ever be an option. You would alienate half of the world of ST fans. Tarantino would only do it “because it would be cool”. I doubt he could give one valid reason as to why we need a film like that. He should go do an Alien film instead and leave this franchise alone.
Old 06-14-19, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Discovery pushed some limits in the first season (haven't watched second yet...) and I can't help but think it was really unnecessary. They had an otherwise interesting story going on, pulling it back so the gore and nudity wasn't present wouldn't have hurt the story at all. As it is it's the one Trek I can't show my kid yet.
I think that's a fair point. My kids like TOS, have seen some TNG, and we're working our way through the movies (halfway through IV now and they love it). While I haven't seen Discovery yet, from what I've heard it wont be something I watch with them.

An older woman who works at a local store in my neighborhood loves Star Trek and we talk Trek whenever we're in the store. She's been a Trekkie since the beginning, back to TOS days, even wears an insignia lapel pin at work, which is how we hit it off. She was so excited for Discovery she got the CBS online pass, her first-ever online TV service. A few weeks later I asked her how it's going and she was sad, saying she got rid of it because of the sex and violence. She said she's no prude but it's not Star Trek for her anymore. I think that's a real bummer.
Old 06-15-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by story View Post
I think that's a fair point. My kids like TOS, have seen some TNG, and we're working our way through the movies (halfway through IV now and they love it). While I haven't seen Discovery yet, from what I've heard it wont be something I watch with them.

An older woman who works at a local store in my neighborhood loves Star Trek and we talk Trek whenever we're in the store. She's been a Trekkie since the beginning, back to TOS days, even wears an insignia lapel pin at work, which is how we hit it off. She was so excited for Discovery she got the CBS online pass, her first-ever online TV service. A few weeks later I asked her how it's going and she was sad, saying she got rid of it because of the sex and violence. She said she's no prude but it's not Star Trek for her anymore. I think that's a real bummer.
When The Orville is more Star Trek than the actual new Star Trek series there's a real problem.

(Having said that, The Orville is great, so there's no shame in that being the better series, but the fact that it is more in the spirit and style of Star Trek than Discovery is, well, that's kind of sad.)