Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
re: Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
I hope this cast does a movie every 3-4 years for a while so we can grow old with the cast like we did with the originals.
When this comes out, we'll have had this cast for approximately the same amount of time as the original cast between TOS season 1 and ST2:TWOK.
Old 02-17-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
If you think any of these movies were worse or more boring than Star Trek V, then I don't know what to tell you
I've sort of warmed up to Star Trek V in recent years. There are some interesting ideas in it and Kirk's line "What does God need with a starship?" is one of the best one-liners in the franchise. Also helps that there are only so many stories featuring the OG crew. The Final Frontier is definitely the least of the six cinematic voyages of the original crew, but I don't think it's terrible by any stretch.

I have been disappointed by the nuTrek films, though.

The films seem really "small" for twenty-first century sci-fi adventure films. Trek '09 provided a nice introduction to the new versions of the old crew, but the two follow-up films were let-downs.

Paramount seems to be in a bit of a Catch-22 with the Star Trek movies. The franchise isn't a huge rainmaker for the studio, so they don't want to budget for anything too big, but on the other hand, unless they go "big" they just aren't going to capture the mainstream audiences who want a bunch of badass shit like big space battles and monsters and intrigue. But they don't want to budget for anything huge that will attract mainstream asses into theater seats... "Yeah, man, I know it's "Star Trek," but this movie was fucking badass!"... so they get caught in a cycle of diminishing returns.

Which does make me think of Star Trek V, and how Paramount slashed the budget and they had to make a smaller film than they wanted to, which led to underwhelming box office.

One direction I think they should have gone with the Kelvinverse is to look to Marvel Comics. Treat the Kelvinverse like Marvel's What If? comics... What if Kirk and Spock faced off against the Borg? What if the Klingons had found the Botany Bay and Khan? What if the Doomsday Machine came to Earth? And then turn them into big, crazy action films. Could that have drawn more mainstream moviegoers to the theater than weepy crypto-Khan and Idris Elba in turtle make-up?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-17-22, 12:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
When this comes out, we'll have had this cast for approximately the same amount of time as the original cast between TOS season 1 and ST2:TWOK.
then you have 9 years between TWOK and Undiscovered Country to work with
Old 02-17-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t mind The Final Frontier either. It’s got a lot of problems and is easily the weakest of the original crew movies, but I sort of think it gets a bad wrap.

I like two of the three Kelvin films. Into Darkness is the one I’m not much of a fan of but I can still watch it if it’s on or if I want to marathon the three films.
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-17-22, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One direction I think they should have gone with the Kelvinverse is to look to Marvel Comics. Treat the Kelvinverse like Marvel's What If? comics... What if Kirk and Spock faced off against the Borg? What if the Klingons had found the Botany Bay and Khan? What if the Doomsday Machine came to Earth? And then turn them into big, crazy action films. Could that have drawn more mainstream moviegoers to the theater than weepy crypto-Khan and Idris Elba in turtle make-up?
Into Darkness would have worked so much better as a remake of Space Seed (the episode where they find Khan) than it did as a remake of TWOK (Kirk and Khan have no history). Abrams and crew got so into thinking about the features, that they didn't dig deep enough into the history. Your example of the Doomsday Machine is another great one. There's been a second-level canon theory that the Doomsday Machine was built to fight the Borg, what if that was explored in the Kelvin-verse?

And yes, The Final Frontier is very problematic but it still has some great character moments with Kirk, Spock and McCoy. It was just too ambitious for it's own good "The Enterprise finds God and KIrk tells him what to go do with himself!".
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-17-22, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't know how much Zoe Saldana wants to Stretch as an actor, but between playing Uhura, Gamora and Neytirl in at least 12-13 movies, she can't have a lot of time for other roles.
You had to google the last name, I guess.
Old 02-17-22, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The 9/11 subthemes in Into Darkness probably were too close to home for Americans.

You can't be serious???? If you are

Old 02-17-22, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You can't be serious???? If you are

Are you disputing that there are allusions to 9/11 or the audience’s reaction?

The bombing of a prominent building, the mystery weapons and the mystery security force don’t make you think of it just a little?
Old 02-18-22, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

The bombing of a prominent building, the mystery weapons and the mystery security force don’t make you think of it just a little?
Personally, I think those elements were a tougher sell for international audiences, rather than hitting too close to home for Americans. I DO think that was an issue for films dealing with that stuff from like 2005-2010, when the wars were still very new, and stuff like Munich and Lions for Lambs were just not doing fantastic at the box office. I think the major hang-ups for Americans were probably that the main Khan story felt like a rehash for older audiences, while younger audiences didn't really know why they should care about Khan.

(For reference, I DID like Into Darkness and I actually think Wrath of Khan is just OK, barring the wonderful eulogy scene)
Old 02-18-22, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me Into Darkness had the problem of trying to be clever by hiding Benedict Cumberbatch play Khan when most fans guessed it beforehand.

Also there wasn’t as much impact to Kirk’s “death” and Spock’s reaction because there wasn’t the history there like with the original characters.

That and it was a big dumb action film that tried to be clever with messaging but really wasn’t.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
Boondock Saint (02-19-22), John Pannozzi (02-18-22)
Old 02-18-22, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
To me Into Darkness had the problem of trying to be clever by hiding Benedict Cumberbatch play Khan when most fans guessed it beforehand.
Yeah, that was a big part of it. Ultimately, Into Darkness just felt too much like warmed over leftovers. The Khan stuff and the reversal of “deaths” really had a “been there, done that” feel to it.

I’ve only seen Beyond once but aside from the silly dirt bike plot device, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I really should revisit it.
John Pannozzi (02-23-22)
Old 02-18-22, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

When I saw Into Darkness in the theater during the Khan reveal an audience member shouted out "no shit" in a bored voice. Only entertaining part of the entire film.
Old 02-18-22, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen Beyond multiple times since buying the Bluray. I like how it's different from the first to Kelvin films in that they both seemed so intent on doing callbacks to the original series without forging their own path. Beyond moved ahead, while still managing to tie in the past by having an ENT era character as the antagonist.
Old 02-18-22, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yeah, it's there, but it's so clumsy that a lot of people won't pick up on it.

And, when they're only going to be able to make a handful of these films, it was a dumb thing to build a movie around. And especially a Khan movie. I just found the whole thing to be a big yawn. Khan as Osama bin Laden is kind of ridiculous when you think about it...

John Pannozzi (02-23-22)
Old 02-19-22, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yeah, that was a big part of it. Ultimately, Into Darkness just felt too much like warmed over leftovers. The Khan stuff and the reversal of “deaths” really had a “been there, done that” feel to it.

I’ve only seen Beyond once but aside from the silly dirt bike plot device, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I really should revisit it.
I didn't so much mind them doing Khan, but I thought it was third movie idea. This crew needed their own space adventure movie first. That having been said, for me the biggest problem was that all of the "homages" to Wrath of Khan drifted over the line to parody.

I really liked Beyond, though I think I blocked out that dirt bike sequence. I thought there were character moments, specifically between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy that made it a good Star Trek movie.
Old 02-21-22, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I thought the best part of Into Darkness was Leonard Nimoy’s cameo which says a lot about the movie.
John Pannozzi (02-23-22)
Old 02-21-22, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the fact that it had Carol Marcus, but then her character was wasted.
John Pannozzi (02-23-22)
Old 02-22-22, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Why Paramount’s ‘Star Trek’ Sequel Reveal Surprised Its Own Stars
Sources say that most, if not all, rep teams for the franchise’s primary talent were not aware that an announcement for another film was coming, much less that their clients would be touted as a part of the deal during a Wall Street event.

BY BORYS KIT, MIA GALUPPO
FEBRUARY 22, 2022 2:38PM

On Feb. 15, Paramount (nee ViacomCBS) announced that it would boldly go where it hasn’t managed to go before — a fourth iteration in a stalled 21st century feature strategy for the Star Trek franchise. During the Paramount investor day, producer J.J. Abrams — who rebooted the sci-fi franchise for the big screen in 2009 — revealed that the USS Enterprise was being readied for a new flight. “We are thrilled to say that we are hard at work on a new Star Trek film that will be shooting by the end of the year that will be featuring our original cast,” Abrams said.

The proclamation came as a surprise, not just to observers who have been watching the movie studio haltingly try to revive Trek on the big screen for years but to the actors and their representatives as well.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that most, if not all, teams for the franchise’s primary players — who include Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldaña and John Cho — were not aware that an announcement for another film was coming, much less that their clients would be touted as a part of the deal, and certainly not that their clients would be shooting a movie by year’s end. Insiders say that Pine, who plays Captain Kirk, is the first to enter into early negotiations as he is the lynchpin to the project.

The hope is to begin filming in the fall in order to make the Dec. 22, 2023, theatrical release. The script is still being worked on, according to sources, and there is no green light or budget in place. In fact, the budget will now likely have to account for talent deals that may be supersized. Industry insiders say that Paramount let go of negotiating leverage in order to have a key chess piece as it courts Wall Street investors.

Star Trek, of course, has been a backbone of the company’s streaming strategy. Live-action series Discovery and Picard, as well as adult animated series Lower Decks and Nickelodeon’s Prodigy, are all cruising on warp speed, while the universe itself will continue to expand under the watchful eye of Alex Kurtzman, whose rich pact runs through 2026.

But the feature strategy had come to a standstill. An initial plan for a fourth Star Trek fell apart in 2018. Talks with stars Pine and Chris Hemsworth — who would have played Captain Kirk’s father in a reprisal of his small role in the 2009 franchise-starter — dissolved over money, with the studio and finance partner Skydance holding a tough line on budget. At that time, Jim Gianopulos was a scant year into his tenure as the head of the studio, which was still dealing with several big bombs at the box office and needed to reel in spending. The Star Trek franchise was one of diminishing returns, with the third movie, Star Trek Beyond, grossing only $343 million worldwide on a budget of $190 million, the lowest box office receipts of the three films.

The studio had three Star Trek features in development, including ideas from Quentin Tarantino and Noah Hawley that would follow different crews and timelines. As the then-Motion Picture Group president Emma Watts took account of the studio slate, Hawley’s Star Trek was nixed. Tarantino’s never materialized. The remaining holdover from this time was the fourth outing featuring the Abrams cast, which now has WandaVision director Matt Shakman set to direct.

Compared to 2018, when Star Trek 4 was last attempted, Paramount Pictures is now in a much different place. The studio has undergone an executive reshuffle, with Brian Robbins at the helm. The movie studio is also being called upon to help supply a streaming service that is looking to build its subscribership to between 65 million and 75 million by 2024.

Industry sources note that streaming growth has slowed domestically across the board and it is now the international side that is the focus, hence companies such as Netflix focusing so much on global content. Trek is a franchise that has underlying goods — sci-fi storylines, diverse cast — to travel around the globe.

And what seemed expensive in 2018 is now, in world where Netflix or Apple is making $30 million-plus talent deals, a norm. To reignite a flagging franchise during a companywide reboot that puts an emphasis on investor-friendly streaming, it’s a price that Paramount might be willing to pay.
Old 02-24-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Those actors should all get together and collectively bargain - like the Friends cast. "All or nothing," Paramount!
Old 02-24-22, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Paramount is trying to get the cast back for a single film only or if they’re wanting to sign the cast to multi film deals or at least the option for multiple films if this does well enough.
Old 02-24-22, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wonder if Paramount is trying to get the cast back for a single film only or if they’re wanting to sign the cast to multi film deals or at least the option for multiple films if this does well enough.
Paramount+ needs more content I guess.

Much like Disney with Star Wars, Paramount is going to milk the Trek franchise for all it's worth.
Old 08-26-22, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Shakman is now out because he’s the top candidate to direct Fantastic Four

Old 08-27-22, 08:04 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Star Trek 4 (?) -- news, rumors, etc.

So none of the cast really knows whats going on with this, nor were they told about the announcement a few months back, and now it loses a director. Yea, this isn't happening any time soon.
Shannon Nutt (08-27-22)
Old 08-27-22, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks. It seems like this fourth modern film is doomed to be stuck in development hell. Whenever something starts to happen with it someone backs out or they decide to go another direction.
Old 08-27-22, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There's literally no need for another Star Trek movie right now...I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount 86's this film completely.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.