Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.66%
15.85%
47.56%
10.98%
10.98%
3.66%
4.88%
1.22%
1.22%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 07:33 AM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts
Re: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Really enjoyed this. It was the sequel I wish we got last time around. Was happy to see all the characters have more to do.

Loved Jaylah. She better be back for the next one.

I do think the editing could've been a bit tighter. Some of the action sequences felt a little long and could've been trimmed a little.
Old 07-27-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I enjoyed myself, I was so confused and unclear about Krall. Trying to figure out his motivation, then going back and wondering how he changed back into a more human form, how he got his drones and stayed alive. Maybe it's just me, but that bit of storytelling needed some work.
Old 07-27-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,130 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
While I enjoyed myself, I was so confused and unclear about Krall. Trying to figure out his motivation, then going back and wondering how he changed back into a more human form, how he got his drones and stayed alive. Maybe it's just me, but that bit of storytelling needed some work.
Nope, it isn't just you.
Old 07-27-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts

70% 4 Star or Higher ratings in our poll as of right now.
Old 07-28-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt help but grin at the Sabotage moment. (I see you Justin Lin, watchin Mars Attacks) I could have done without the Sulu jamming whilst trying to pilot the ship though. FINALLY got some trio business with McCoy, Spock and Kirk. Also I got something in my eye at the photo reveal.
Old 07-28-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Whenever we saw Krall absorbing life energies, we could see his face going kinda melty, and there is a part where he mentions learning from the natives how to prolong his life. One could surmise that he looked like an alien from absorbing alien life energy and then when he started absorbing humans from the crew, he started looking more like his original form.

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
I couldnt help but grin at the Sabotage moment. (I see you Justin Lin, watchin Mars Attacks) I could have done without the Sulu jamming whilst trying to pilot the ship though. FINALLY got some trio business with McCoy, Spock and Kirk. Also I got something in my eye at the photo reveal.

I think my heart broke a little seeing that picture, what a beautiful moment.
Old 07-29-16, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Whenever we saw Krall absorbing life energies, we could see his face going kinda melty, and there is a part where he mentions learning from the natives how to prolong his life. One could surmise that he looked like an alien from absorbing alien life energy and then when he started absorbing humans from the crew, he started looking more like his original form.

I think my heart broke a little seeing that picture, what a beautiful moment.
Now that's clarity!!!! I got the bits and pieces, the melty face, him wanting to create discord in the Federation, but wasn't cohesive and clear. Your explanation as to why he looked like an alien makes sense, but they needed bring that into play during the movie.
Old 07-29-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts

Now that's clarity!!!! I got the bits and pieces, the melty face, him wanting to create discord in the Federation, but wasn't cohesive and clear. Your explanation as to why he looked like an alien makes sense, but they needed bring that into play during the movie.
I imagine they didn't want to blow the reveal. I think it might have added more depth to the character if we knew who he was sooner and got more of what was really going on with him. Of course, that's not the mind-set of the producers, who were after more energy than nuance.
Old 07-29-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Just saw it. Meh. Wasn't great but wasn't terrible. About on par with last movie, which isn't saying much.
Old 07-29-16, 04:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

They mentioned Macos and the Xindi!!!!!
Old 07-29-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 313 Posts

Saw it last week. I loved Jaylah, as well as many of the action sequences. Pretty safe film and very enjoyable.

Wasn't a big fan of how Lin shot hand-to-hand combat, especially in one of Jaylah's fights where it felt like I was in a washing machine.
Old 07-29-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why? Milo obviously understood it. I understood it the same way. Star Trek is best when it doesn't spoon feed us an explanation for every detail. It leaves room for the fans to obsessively over-analyze every last thing, and boy do we ever.
Old 07-30-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
70% 4 Star or Higher ratings in our poll as of right now.
Too bad that does not translate to Box Office.
Old 07-30-16, 03:34 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I haven't seen it yet, I will soon, but I think this would have done better had it been released during the June 3rd weekend when the Turtles sequel was #1 with $35m (both Paramount releases). Paramount has no idea what they're doing with their summer movies.
Old 07-31-16, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 463 Likes on 322 Posts

Hey, half our crew just died - let's throw a birthday party for Kirk!
Old 07-31-16, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
this was the type of scenario where the crew on TNG/DS9/VOY would have made up some nonsense about an "inverse resonance wave, sub-refracted through a Brownian-motion generator" and it wouldn't have really meant anything to the audience
You're being a bit harsh. They would have emitted the inverse resonance wave through the deflector dish, not a Brownian-Whatsit. Initially it would have been energised by the starboard power coupling, but we know how often that fails in battle so Geordi would have rerouted via the phase inducers. Makes perfect sense to me
Old 07-31-16, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Enterprise
You're being a bit harsh. They would have emitted the inverse resonance wave through the deflector dish, not a Brownian-Whatsit. Initially it would have been energised by the starboard power coupling, but we know how often that fails in battle so Geordi would have rerouted via the phase inducers. Makes perfect sense to me
Yes but if the caniglia pin slip out of the dual bypass override valve all is lost
Old 07-31-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So now all three Star Trek movies have destroyed the Enterprise, and the villain in each is motivated by cheap revenge.
Old 07-31-16, 10:28 AM

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So now all three Star Trek movies have destroyed the Enterprise, and the villain in each is motivated by cheap revenge.
"Wrath of Khan" has been re-hashed 4 fucking times in a row in the Star Trek movies since 2002--and the public laps it up. Fresh and (even marginally) original doesn't put butts in seats. Stay tuned for nuTrek IV--where a villain bent on revenge goes on a rampage with only the Enterprise to stop them.
Old 07-31-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Honestly, I think that first trailer did a ton of damage to this movie's box office numbers. It was a terrible trailer that didn't reflect the style or substance of the movie at all, and it turned a lot of people off - people who never gave the movie a chance even when the reviews came in.

And the subsequent trailers/ads were only marginally better. This has been a HORRIBLE marketing campaign by Paramount. I really do wish they'd sell the franchise to Disney...
Old 07-31-16, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

The Enterprise was not destroyed in either of the first to new movies.
Old 07-31-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

And there have been 13 Star Trek movies... I suppose he meant all three crews, but I for one have never
Old 07-31-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow

The Enterprise was not destroyed in either of the first to new movies.
Maybe not completely destroyed like in this one, but they wrecked it pretty bad in the other ones. It's like most modern movies feel like they need to present an unprecedented level of destruction, one more smoldering than the last.
Old 07-31-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
"Wrath of Khan" has been re-hashed 4 fucking times in a row in the Star Trek movies since 2002--and the public laps it up. Fresh and (even marginally) original doesn't put butts in seats. Stay tuned for nuTrek IV--where a villain bent on revenge goes on a rampage with only the Enterprise to stop them.
Elvis movie; Elvis sings, Elvis fights, Elvis sings, Elvis gets the girl, Elvis sings again. Roll credits. Worked 30 times in a row.

Originality has never been a priority if the same 'ol same 'ol makes money.
Old 07-31-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to see this again today and I enjoyed it just as much, even knowing what was coming next. This really is my favorite Trek movie since Star Trek 6. Tons of fun.

The fact that Paramount screwed up the promotion on this thing and that could impact the next movie really pisses me off. This should have been a $200 Million box office movie - it has appeal to both fans and non-fans alike. The trailers and ads just flat out sucked (even the improved trailers still sucked, they just sucked less).

But I really loved this movie. It's what I wanted from the reboot Trek era.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.