Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors you love on film, but hate off?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actors you love on film, but hate off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 10:51 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: Actors you love on film, but hate off?

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe Mel Gibson for some people.
i do like his on screen personas and his directing, but yeah, loon and antisemite doesn't do it for me...
Old 06-11-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I love the notion of being a racist is somehow much more acceptable to being an "outspoken racist"
Old 06-11-16, 02:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just 'lil bit, though? Come on. Play devil's advocate all you want but he was a racist. Hell, the irony is that he was married to THREE Latin women. I guess he did like his arroz con pollo y platano maduro.

I'll confirm that he was a bit racist. He was about on par with everyone else of his generation. Paint him as racist if you like, but you end up painting a great deal of others from that period as well. And if you want to be one of those "Everyone in the past was racist" people that's your prerogative, but I feel history is much more nuanced than that. And holding people from the past to the standards of today accomplishes very little.
Old 06-11-16, 02:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I love the Jan-Michael Vincent movies from the 70s. Went to see them all. I've seen interviews where he's a complete asshole.
What about EIGHT Jan-Michael Vincents?

Anyway, my pick is Sean Connery:

Old 06-11-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Bill Murray
Old 06-11-16, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I'll confirm that he was a bit racist. He was about on par with everyone else of his generation. Paint him as racist if you like, but you end up painting a great deal of others from that period as well. And if you want to be one of those "Everyone in the past was racist" people that's your prerogative, but I feel history is much more nuanced than that. And holding people from the past to the standards of today accomplishes very little.
past or not.. if he was a racist..he was a racist. Same goes for others. It ain't that hard to accept it. Just cuz it was the times doesn't make it any better. Might actually make it worse depending on how you play w/ it.
Old 06-12-16, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Having met limited actors in real life I will say that Paul Newman and JoAnn Woodward were shockingly nice in real life. Oh that is actors you love off the screen as well as on, sorry my bad
Old 06-12-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Meeting vs. knowing someone is completely different.
Hey this is the internet, we fucking know everything.

That is a good point also brought up. Celebrities who think they know about some political hot topic. DiCaprio who thinks he knows about global warming because he saw most of Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth about 5 years ago.

For me

Rosie O'Donnell - thought she was great in Sleepless in Seattle and A League Of Their Own but her know it all politics annoys me. Even if it's a subject I happen to agree with her take, she manages to aggravate me.

Sean Penn - same previously mentioned reasons and yes I am very jealous he got Charlize Theron and Scarlett Johannson.

Alec Baldwin - funny, funny guy on 30 Rock and the only good part about the movie Aloha. He was great in a turd of a movie. But he seems to be a real a-hole, and that whole kerfuffle with his daughter a few years back did nothing to soften that image.

Back in the early 90's I had a limousine service and got to meet a bunch of (mostly minor) celebrities. All good experiences. Of course that time with Bill Cosby, he told me she was just pretending she was sleeping cause she liked it that way.

Kim Cattrall, Debra Shelton, Alexandra Paul, Darlanne Flugell, Joe Regalbuto, were a few I drove and had pleasant experiences with all of them.
Old 06-15-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Alec Baldwin is a good one.

I have not met any celebrities and have no desire to since it would probably kill me if I really liked a actor or actresses work and a collection of their movies and they were dicks in real life
Old 06-15-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also ran into Andy Dick at a 7-11 in Fayetville and all I got was a handjob. At least I think it was Andy Dick.
From what I hear, if all you got was a handjob, that wasn't Andy Dick.
Old 06-15-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I met Tommy Lee Jones on the set of "U.S. Marshals" and he's every bit as unpleasant to be around as you've heard. The production rented a house adjacent to the set so he could go there and read rather than have to interact with the rest of the cast and crew.

Joe Pantoliano, on the other hand, was great. Very friendly and funny.
Old 06-15-16, 09:00 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I met Tommy Lee Jones on the set of "U.S. Marshals" and he's every bit as unpleasant to be around as you've heard. The production rented a house adjacent to the set so he could go there and read rather than have to interact with the rest of the cast and crew.

Joe Pantoliano, on the other hand, was great. Very friendly and funny.
He probably was in a bad mood because he realized US Marshals was going to kill his career as a leading man. A pale imitation of The Fugitive, and yes, I know it's a spinoff, but I couldn't get the original movie out of my mind and thinking "not even in the same ballpark as The Fugitive."
Old 06-15-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Two things regarding Tom Cruise, one Scientology based, the other not:

1. Based on stories I've heard (like Paul Haggis' account) Scientology isn't just "some church that he happens to believe in". Tom Cruise luxuriates and enriches himself in Scientology's largesse. I read an account that when he visits the SeaOrg compound out in the desert, the sycophants there wash his motorcycle while he has meetings with the organization's top officials. That's just a dick move.

2. On a non-Scientology note the thing he lacks that most stars have is an "everyman" quality. By all accounts he's an extremely driven, determined guy, a perfectionist with a dynamic personality. It seems like he woke up around age 16 and said, "I'm going to be the perfect human being from this day forward." Poised, strong, masculine. Perfect teeth, perfect hair, perfect posture, perfect diction. I think it served him well, but I think he literally lost some of his humanity along the way. Jimmy Stewart, Tom Hanks, Glenn Ford, Spencer Tracy, even Matt Damon have the "everyman" quality. Tom Cruise (on screen and off) has a "superman" quality. He comes off as too calculated and somewhat cold in real life, and up on the screen it limits what kind of roles he can play. He always has to be the brash go-getter, the good looking hero who wins. Only in Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut does he appear as anything less than a winner's winner. The personality type that most closely matches Cruise's off screen persona happens to be the very type that he launched his career into the stratosphere portraying: A Navy Fighter Pilot. Brash and bold shining knights. Handsome young brave perfectionists that keep their cool even in the most desperate circumstances. Egotists, elitists, absolute top of the food chain specimens. But very hard for us to relate to.

And a final extra-credit thought:
Ever since he began producing his own films I feel that his singular creative drive is to make himself look cool. He builds the films in which he stars in the same manner one might pick a sports car: "I want something that I'll look cool getting out of." That's how he makes his films, "I want to be in a movie that makes me look cool all the time." So he's always on a motorcycle or in sweet car or piloting an exotic vehicle. He's always dressed in clothes that flatter his sweet build. He always has awesome sun glasses. His leading lady is always someone who perfectly compliments his look or is the perfect opposite. He always showcases himself running. Boy does that fucker love to run.
Your extra thought doesn't make sense to me. It's the job of a movie to make the star look good. Douglas Fairbanks had entire sets built to match his athletic skills, just to make him look smooth. If you've ever watched Zorro, you know it worked.

But I am disappointed to hear that Cruise exploits the serfs at Sea Org. That's pretty low.

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Leonardo DiCapro. Having met him, yes he is a total dick.
Most people aren't at their best when they're meeting the cops.
Old 06-16-16, 07:31 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Met Scarlett Johansson on the set of "Under the Skin." Bitch got naked and I was pretty sure I'd get to bang her, then the whore let me straight into a black hole of some weird liquid. Fucking slut.
Old 06-16-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Met Scarlett Johansson on the set of "Under the Skin." Bitch got naked and I was pretty sure I'd get to bang her, then the whore let me straight into a black hole of some weird liquid. Fucking slut.
And then she took off to Sean Penn's house.
Old 06-16-16, 10:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people."
Except for the white supremacy part it sounds like he's talking about affermitive action.
Old 06-16-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by leacha
Except for the white supremacy part it sounds like he's talking about affermitive action.
Oh, that pesky white supremacy part.

Old 06-16-16, 11:08 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
And then she took off to Sean Penn's house.
That really brings my piss to a boil.