DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Actors you love on film, but hate off? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/634864-actors-you-love-film-but-hate-off.html)

OldBoy 06-09-16 10:58 AM

Actors you love on film, but hate off?

you know there are those actors or actresses that you always love on film, they do tremendous work and can't get enough, but off film, in the public eye, they just come off as dicks or pompous asses that you can't stand that mentality...

i have a few that i will almost always see their films because i like their screen personalities so much in whatever roles they take, but they come off as douches in real life.

Tom Cruise.
i know he is an easy one to pinpoint in this question. i love just about every role he does, but his Scientology bullshit and the way he comes off in real life really puts me off. i do like that i can separate the reality from the fiction though because i think he is a tremendous action star.

Daniel Craig.
love his on screen personas (Bond, Layer Cake), but in interviews and articles he comes off as a total douche bag.

nando820 06-09-16 11:22 AM

Re: Actors you love on film, but hate off?

I think most people in Hollywood are douche bags in real life, they just play a persona even on Interviews

dex14 06-09-16 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12822207)
you know there are those actors or actresses that you always love on film, they do tremendous work and can't get enough, but off film, in the public eye, they just come off as dicks or pompous asses that you can't stand that mentality...

i have a few that i will almost always see their films because i like their screen personalities so much in whatever roles they take, but they come off as douches in real life.

Tom Cruise.
i know he is an easy one to pinpoint in this question. i love just about every role he does, but his Scientology bullshit and the way he comes off in real life really puts me off. i do like that i can separate the reality from the fiction though because i think he is a tremendous action star.

Daniel Craig.
love his on screen personas (Bond, Layer Cake), but in interviews and articles he comes off as a total douche bag.

OldBoy... you're a funny guy. You give someone shit the other day for using a space between the end of the sentence and a question mark, but you can't even use capital letters when needed! :lol:

Daniel Craig does seem like a prick, but he can't be all that bad if Rachel Weisz married him.

Reese Witherspoon seems pretty terrible in real life. Sean Penn, though a humanitarian, seems like a prick. Alec Baldwin...

Solid Snake 06-09-16 11:32 AM

No. I don't have a reason to give a fuck about the personal lives of people I don't know. I just care about the product they give out. If they're pieces of shit, they're pieces of shit. Until I feel like maybe I shouldn't contribute to their product based on some VERY negative actions...MAYBE I'll give a fuck.

Saying that.... I am conflicted on one person I do like based on their work. Polanski. He's a great filmmaker. But he raped that girl. And... like... I'm very conflicted on that one. He should totally go to jail for that... fuck his reasoning for the action.. the deed was done and the fucker needs to pay regardless what the victim now says. Yet... I totally welcome in experiencing a new film by him or an old one I had never seen before.

I don't hate him... I don't know the guy. Nor would feel much if he died. He still brings out solid product but I could live w/o him based on his raping of that girl.

fumanstan 06-09-16 11:42 AM

With regards to Tom Cruise, even though the Scientology stuff is crazy everything else i've heard about the guy has been nothing but positive and apparently he's super nice in real life. I don't really hate the guy for believing in one kooky religion over another.

EddieMoney 06-09-16 11:53 AM

Sean Penn

d2cheer 06-09-16 11:54 AM

Unless you have met them and hang out on a regular basis; how the fuck do you know you hate them? Pretty strong word.

SEEMS like a total douche bag and knowing they are; completely different things. I am sure some here come off different than they would in person as well...others probably not.

DeputyDave 06-09-16 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12822277)
Unless you have met them and hang out on a regular basis; how the fuck do you know you hate them? Pretty strong word.

SEEMS like a total douche bag and knowing they are; completely different things. I am sure some here come off different than they would in person as well...others probably not.

Leonardo DiCapro. Having met him, yes he is a total dick.

hasslein 06-09-16 12:38 PM

Jason Statham was always rude to TMZ guys, I don't watch the show anymore, but years ago the girl he was with chewed him out for it on camera. I do like him as an actor..

fumanstan 06-09-16 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by hasslein (Post 12822339)
Jason Statham was always rude to TMZ guys, I don't watch the show anymore, but years ago the girl he was with chewed him out for it on camera. I do like him as an actor..

Those things seem hard to judge since it's pretty clear why a celebrity would be a dick to people at places like TMZ.

Crocker Jarmen 06-09-16 01:46 PM

I've only been exposed to TMZ in three to four second intervals when flipping through the channels, but there isn't a single movie star I find more hateable than the TMZ guys (and gals).

Hokeyboy 06-09-16 02:05 PM

How dare anyone be anything less than wondrously cordial to a group of harassing paparazzi douchebags! THE IMPERTINENCE! :mad:

Jaymole 06-09-16 02:20 PM

OJ Simpson

Ash Ketchum 06-09-16 02:22 PM

There's no actor working today whom I care enough about onscreen to care enough about off. Except maybe Jason Statham...and the fact that he's rude to TMZ earns him points in my book. On the other hand, Sean Penn seems to me to be as big an asshole on screen as off. The last performance of his that I had any use for was CASUALTIES OF WAR (1989).

GoldenJCJ 06-09-16 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12822244)
Saying that.... I am conflicted on one person I do like based on their work. Polanski. He's a great filmmaker. But he raped that girl. And... like... I'm very conflicted on that one. He should totally go to jail for that... fuck his reasoning for the action.. the deed was done and the fucker needs to pay regardless what the victim now says. Yet... I totally welcome in experiencing a new film by him or an old one I had never seen before.

I don't hate him... I don't know the guy. Nor would feel much if he died. He still brings out solid product but I could live w/o him based on his raping of that girl.

Woody Allen is giving Polanski a run for his money. Based on all the allegations, the guy seems like a complete piece of shit. Frankly, I'm not "conflicted" on either of them. Fuck 'em both!

inri222 06-09-16 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12822276)
Sean Penn

You're just jealous of the guy who's banged Charlize Theron, Minka Kelly, Jewel, Madonna, Scarlett Johansson, Valeria Golino, Elle Macpherson, Emily Lloyd, Stacey Nelkin, Elizabeth McGovern, Robin Wright and a bunch of others. ;)

Hazel Motes 06-09-16 03:09 PM

Klaus Kinski.

Mabuse 06-09-16 03:53 PM

Two things regarding Tom Cruise, one Scientology based, the other not:

1. Based on stories I've heard (like Paul Haggis' account) Scientology isn't just "some church that he happens to believe in". Tom Cruise luxuriates and enriches himself in Scientology's largesse. I read an account that when he visits the SeaOrg compound out in the desert, the sycophants there wash his motorcycle while he has meetings with the organization's top officials. That's just a dick move.

2. On a non-Scientology note the thing he lacks that most stars have is an "everyman" quality. By all accounts he's an extremely driven, determined guy, a perfectionist with a dynamic personality. It seems like he woke up around age 16 and said, "I'm going to be the perfect human being from this day forward." Poised, strong, masculine. Perfect teeth, perfect hair, perfect posture, perfect diction. I think it served him well, but I think he literally lost some of his humanity along the way. Jimmy Stewart, Tom Hanks, Glenn Ford, Spencer Tracy, even Matt Damon have the "everyman" quality. Tom Cruise (on screen and off) has a "superman" quality. He comes off as too calculated and somewhat cold in real life, and up on the screen it limits what kind of roles he can play. He always has to be the brash go-getter, the good looking hero who wins. Only in Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut does he appear as anything less than a winner's winner. The personality type that most closely matches Cruise's off screen persona happens to be the very type that he launched his career into the stratosphere portraying: A Navy Fighter Pilot. Brash and bold shining knights. Handsome young brave perfectionists that keep their cool even in the most desperate circumstances. Egotists, elitists, absolute top of the food chain specimens. But very hard for us to relate to.

And a final extra-credit thought:
Ever since he began producing his own films I feel that his singular creative drive is to make himself look cool. He builds the films in which he stars in the same manner one might pick a sports car: "I want something that I'll look cool getting out of." That's how he makes his films, "I want to be in a movie that makes me look cool all the time." So he's always on a motorcycle or in sweet car or piloting an exotic vehicle. He's always dressed in clothes that flatter his sweet build. He always has awesome sun glasses. His leading lady is always someone who perfectly compliments his look or is the perfect opposite. He always showcases himself running. Boy does that fucker love to run.

nando820 06-09-16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12822244)
No. I don't have a reason to give a fuck about the personal lives of people I don't know. I just care about the product they give out. If they're pieces of shit, they're pieces of shit. Until I feel like maybe I shouldn't contribute to their product based on some VERY negative actions...MAYBE I'll give a fuck.

Did not know that. Source ?

nando820 06-09-16 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 12822330)

please tell us bout it. This thread needs more sources, videos, articles, stories, etc

nando820 06-09-16 04:12 PM

Cant think of actors that I hate off screen. But with the other hand someone I do like off screen is Tom Hanks, he is one of those persons that seems to be the same on and off the screen the same persona. I guess RDJ is kinda similar, just like his Stark persona he loves himself a lot and doesn't shy away from it.

SuperJim88 06-09-16 04:23 PM

E.T. - oh so cute on film, but off screen is all phone home, phone home. After the third phone home, you want to punch his face.

Mr. Flix 06-09-16 04:51 PM

I can't say I hate any actors. But I do find myself rolling my eyes whenever an person thinks a successful acting career also makes them an expert on politics (Afflek, Damon), global warming (DiCaprio), etc. Regurgitating a script convincingly does not make them a qualified talking head about politics. Their job is to sell me on their movie. If they want to influence politics, I'd respect them more if they ran for office.

d2cheer 06-09-16 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 12822330)

Meeting vs. knowing someone is completely different.

Why So Blu? 06-09-16 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by nando820 (Post 12822579)
Did not know that. Source ?

Google it. The Polanski scandal is not new.