Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors you love on film, but hate off?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actors you love on film, but hate off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Actors you love on film, but hate off?

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Those things seem hard to judge since it's pretty clear why a celebrity would be a dick to people at places like TMZ.
That's very true. I was trying to find a name to answer the question, hate is too extreme. My first exposure to Statham was TMZ (I didn't remember him in Ghosts of Mars) and to see him juxtaposed with celebrities that were joking and talkative with their crew made him seem like a dick (especially when his girl scolded him.) Then I saw Expendables and thought, I like this guy...
Old 06-10-16, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Did not know that. Source ?
It's wildly known and open. Like if you like the filmmaker at all to be a fan or were to know of his work in a certain period... you'd know about him raping that girl. It's very odd. The whole setup and why he ran, no just cuz of his actions but the legal preceedings of it all. It's just weird. I'm not condoning him running at all but I'm also not pleased w/ how the law was working that case either. It's a long read of things essentially. The records on it are fascinating as a read. Long, disgusting, and just a fuckup on all forms.
Old 06-10-16, 06:11 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
If they want to influence politics, I'd respect them more if they ran for office.
So do you respect Donald Trump more than them?
Old 06-10-16, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Did not know that. Source ?
You're on a movie board and you've never heard about Polanski?

Short version: In the 1970s he sodomized a 13 year old girl in Jack Nicholson's house and fled the US to avoid prosecution. It completely over-shadowed his career to the point where he isn't the guy who directed Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown, he's the guy who raped a 13 year old girl.
Old 06-10-16, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I can't say I hate any actors. But I do find myself rolling my eyes whenever an person thinks a successful acting career also makes them an expert on politics (Afflek, Damon), global warming (DiCaprio), etc. Regurgitating a script convincingly does not make them a qualified talking head about politics. Their job is to sell me on their movie. If they want to influence politics, I'd respect them more if they ran for office.
You must really dislike John Wayne then
Old 06-10-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
So do you respect Donald Trump more than them?
Well, more than Clinton. But that's damning with faint praise. At least Trump is running, not just waxing serious about politics during an interview that's supposed to be about "The Martian."

Originally Posted by Jaymole
You must really dislike John Wayne then
Before my time. I'm just saying that when someone like Affleck gets all self-righteous in an interview about politics, I just want to pat his head and say, "Aw, so serious."
Old 06-10-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Before my time. I'm just saying that when someone like Affleck gets all self-righteous in an interview about politics, I just want to pat his head and say, "Aw, so serious."
John Wayne was extremely vocal about his political views. I brought him up as most people who say they hate when actors talk politics seem to be Republicans/conservatives.

BTW I am the complete opposite as, as long as they are informed, it never bothers me if an actor talks about politics.
Old 06-10-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I love the Jan-Michael Vincent movies from the 70s. Went to see them all. I've seen interviews where he's a complete asshole.
Old 06-10-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

People can be jerks if they want, but it irks me when they are unprofessional.

If you ever wonder why you don't see actors in film anymore when they were everywhere just a few years ago, it's because they can't get work. They got blacklisted.
Old 06-10-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You're on a movie board and you've never heard about Polanski?

Short version: In the 1970s he sodomized a 13 year old girl in Jack Nicholson's house and fled the US to avoid prosecution. It completely over-shadowed his career to the point where he isn't the guy who directed Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown, he's the guy who raped a 13 year old girl.
Damn. He is also the guy that his wife got murdered by Manson
Old 06-10-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Jeffrey Jones - Liked him in films such as Amadeus and Ferris Bueller Day Off. But he is a pedophile and should have been locked up for good.
Old 06-10-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dom56
Jeffrey Jones - Liked him in films such as Amadeus and Ferris Bueller Day Off. But he is a pedophile and should have been locked up for good.
Knowing that Jones is a creeper really turns Ferris Bueller's Day Off into a completely different experience.
Old 06-10-16, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. He is also the guy that his wife got murdered by Manson
Yes. But the rape totally becomes the biggest issue in all that. Really really shitty time to be him, I guess. That sounds like I'm sorry for his actions or reactions but... it's a lot of bad shit to be part of in short time frame.
Old 06-10-16, 05:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
John Wayne was extremely vocal about his political views. I brought him up as most people who say they hate when actors talk politics seem to be Republicans/conservatives.
I wouldn't say "extremely" vocal. More like occasionally vocal. There were no shows like Bill Maher back then, but there were political talk shows and I don't believe he ever appeared on one. I'd say his political views come across most in the two films he directed, The Alamo and The Green Berets. And I like that. I like that he spoke through his art. I like it when Damon speaks through his art. Make The Green Zone Matt, make that oil drilling movie that flopped, don't just go on Bill Maher and drone about it.
Old 06-10-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Sandra Bullock on film, but I had a run-in with her in real life.

She was filming "The Proposal" in my (pretty small) town a couple years ago. They turned my town into an Alaskan village, so I got home from work one day and went downtown to see what was going on.

So I'm standing there looking at the scenery and crew...I don't see any filming going on, and then lo and behold, her highness comes walking around the corner with some shopping bags in her hand. She kind of smiles and just walks right by me. No stopping for a conversation, no kiss, no asking me to dinner, no sexual overtures.

What a bitch.
Old 06-10-16, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

She was filming "The Proposal" in my (pretty small) town a couple years ago. They turned my town into an Alaskan village, so I got home from work one day and went downtown to see what was going on.

So I'm standing there looking at the scenery and crew...I don't see any filming going on, and then lo and behold, her highness comes walking around the corner with some shopping bags in her hand. She kind of smiles and just walks right by me. No stopping for a conversation, no kiss, no asking me to dinner, no sexual overtures.

What a bitch.

Old 06-10-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I can't say I hate any actors. But I do find myself rolling my eyes whenever an person thinks a successful acting career also makes them an expert on politics (Afflek, Damon), global warming (DiCaprio), etc. Regurgitating a script convincingly does not make them a qualified talking head about politics. Their job is to sell me on their movie. If they want to influence politics, I'd respect them more if they ran for office.
So basically you are saying you do not believe that Global Warming is real...gotcha, and that is the end of my thread crap.

You do realize that Matt Damon is not a dumb Hollywood hunk, the guy referenced actuarial tables in an interview.
Old 06-10-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I wouldn't say "extremely" vocal. More like occasionally vocal. There were no shows like Bill Maher back then, but there were political talk shows and I don't believe he ever appeared on one. I'd say his political views come across most in the two films he directed, The Alamo and The Green Berets. And I like that. I like that he spoke through his art. I like it when Damon speaks through his art. Make The Green Zone Matt, make that oil drilling movie that flopped, don't just go on Bill Maher and drone about it.

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people."

You go, John!

Old 06-10-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe Mel Gibson for some people.
Old 06-10-16, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why did you delete your post, Mr. Flix?
Old 06-10-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Why did you delete your post, Mr. Flix?
I was afraid in wouldn't be taken in the lighthearted tone I intended.
Old 06-10-16, 09:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, more than Clinton. But that's damning with faint praise. At least Trump is running, not just waxing serious about politics during an interview that's supposed to be about "The Martian."

It'd be one thing if they were completely off-base with their comments. They're not from what I've seen, save for some defensiveness on Bill Maher's show from Affleck. I don't have more respect for people running than those who don't who are political. Not everyone would make a viable candidate. And have you heard a lot of folks in congress speak? Their opinion isn't just better because they're elected.
Old 06-10-16, 10:21 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You go, John!

Saying one thing, once in a Playboy interview does not make one "extremely outspoken". One could argue extremely racist (which he wasn't by the measure of the time) but not extremely outspoken.
Old 06-10-16, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Saying one thing, once in a Playboy interview does not make one "extremely outspoken". One could argue extremely racist (which he wasn't by the measure of the time) but not extremely outspoken.

Just 'lil bit, though? Come on. Play devil's advocate all you want but he was a racist. Hell, the irony is that he was married to THREE Latin women. I guess he did like his arroz con pollo y platano maduro.

Old 06-11-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

What a bitch.
Fame really went to her head.

I met her twenty years ago when we were at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago waiting on the same flight. We talked for about twenty minutes, and then she pulled me into the women's bathroom and blew me. Swallowed, too, which was a pleasant surprise.

Also ran into Andy Dick at a 7-11 in Fayetville and all I got was a handjob. At least I think it was Andy Dick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.