Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Didn't care much for the hearse clip. Murray has a lot of positive things to say.
Unless there is more than that 3 minutes, I don't know that I would say he had "a lot of positive things to say." He certainly wasn't negative, but he seemed to be very deliberately choosing what he said and what he said it about.

Damn, he is finally getting old. Oh, and, damn Annie Potts still looks good.
Old 06-09-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
To be fair the two previous Ghostbusters soundtrack are full of atrocious music too.
Very VERY true ...

To try for a positive, I do love the solo piano introduction the in the first trailer for this new version. Very chilling.
Old 06-09-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
As much as I still think this looks bad Murray isn't the kind of guy who will just go along with what he's told to do I don't think. He very much strikes me as a beats to his own drum kind of guy that doesn't give a damn about playing nice for appearances. Then again I also think he buys into his own hype a bit too much at times so it's hard to really read him. He's definitely been in his share of questionable films fairly recently.
Murray has always struck me as a guy that will often appear in movies as a favor for his friends. It hasn't been mentioned but I almost wonder if while working on St. Vincent he became friends with Melissa McCarthy and she ended up calling in a favor.
Old 06-09-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Celebrities do favors for their friends all the time.

Today he says he hates it, but here is what James Cameron said about Terminator 3 in 2003 :

In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hoped it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it". If he had done it, would he have handled it differently: "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structured it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way - but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it."
If Arnold wasn't in the film he would've never said that.

Last edited by inri222; 06-09-16 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-09-16, 04:30 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

To be fair the two previous Ghostbusters soundtracks are full of atrocious music too.
Old 06-09-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

I hope someone remakes On Our Own for the sequel to this film.
Old 06-09-16, 05:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08
Snippet of the new theme from Fall Out Boy...
Wow, that was terrible. What happened to the electronica-sounding version from the trailers? I want that... not this shit.
Old 06-09-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair the two previous Ghostbusters soundtracks are full of atrocious music too.
You're nuts. This is a classic. Please watch just past the one minute mark and let's make videos great again.

Old 06-09-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

That Fallout Boy cover of the theme song is atrocious. I know that a new film is going to update things like that but ugh. Plus why Fallout Boy, aren't they pretty well past being popular?
Old 06-09-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That Fallout Boy cover of the theme song is atrocious. I know that a new film is going to update things like that but ugh. Plus why Fallout Boy, aren't they pretty well past being popular?
They've actually had a resurgence the last year or two with some recent hits again. I actually like the band, but thought this song is terrible too.
Old 06-10-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

The song Magic by some dude named Mick Smiley was awesome. I always thought that song went great with the scene it is featured in during the first movie.

Old 06-10-16, 09:22 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The music (both score and pop songs) fit the first film to a "T". Great tunes by some famous, and some obscure, musicians. Guru just likes to tear down the original in a misguided attempt to defend the new movie. He's done it continuously.
Old 06-10-16, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Received 1,108 Likes on 644 Posts

OK, but will any of the new music be as good as Bustin'?

Old 06-10-16, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jesus. I may not like some of the music by itself w/o some visual context to pair it with but you're billy fucking bonkers if you don't think they got some damn good music in GB1, at least. I can't remember the music from GB2.

GB1 has some fucking great music they got from outside the production to pair it w/ the film.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-10-16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 11:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

This movie has no chance of ruining my childhood, but
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I think this just did.
Old 06-10-16, 11:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Jesus. I may not like some of the music by itself w/o some visual context to pair it with but you're billy fucking bonkers if you don't think they got some damn good music in GB1, at least. I can't remember the music from GB2.

GB1 has some fucking great music they got from outside the production pair it w/ the film.
Old 06-10-16, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Passion of the Christ.. that's a classic.
Old 06-10-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Murray has always struck me as a guy that will often appear in movies as a favor for his friends. It hasn't been mentioned but I almost wonder if while working on St. Vincent he became friends with Melissa McCarthy and she ended up calling in a favor.
To be honest I don't care for McCarthy but St. Vincent is probably the best film she's in that I've seen. Its also probably one of the better roles Murray has played in a while.
Old 06-10-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GB1 has some fucking great music they got from outside the production to pair it w/ the film.
I'd rather be dead than say Alessi Brothers, Thompsom Twins, Mick Smiley, Laura Branigan, Air Supply and The Bus Boys are good music. I never really minded the Bus Boys song until I played LEGO Dimensions and heard it playing in the Ghostbusters hub world. I'm not talking about getting annoyed about hearing it played over and over. I'm talking the 2nd time it plays I never wanted to hear it again. Thankfully you can tell that they only edited in the bare minimum of the pop music and they selected the most effective/least-awful segments of each song. If you actually listen to the album there's enough cringey material for 100 lifetimes.

The worst thing about the soundtrack is that there's Elmer Bernstein music composed for the movie that was canned to make way for the shitty pop music. I think there's a clip on YouTube that syncs the unused Bernstein score from the OOP CD to the "cleaning up the town" scene.

If you can divorce 32 years of nostalgia from that scene you'll find that the score was much more natural and effective. In the final movie the scene elevates the music and it should be the other way around. The only reason we're talking about the fucking Bus Boys in 2016 is because their shitty music was used in the first Ecto-1 scene.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Ray Parker Jr's theme is the greatest theme song in the history of movies but the rest of the Ghostbusters soundtrack is the shittiest soundtrack to an otherwise-beloved film of all time.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 06-10-16 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,071 Likes on 849 Posts

To be honest I don't care for McCarthy but St. Vincent is probably the best film she's in that I've seen. Its also probably one of the better roles Murray has played in a while.
I like subtle McCarthy, she has a weird gravitas/screen presence to her that works well in certain roles. She just annoys me when she gets super loud (ie: The Heat, the 2nd half of Spy)
Old 06-10-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How can you forget this classic?

Old 06-10-16, 02:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The music (both score and pop songs) fit the first film to a "T". Great tunes by some famous, and some obscure, musicians. Guru just likes to tear down the original in a misguided attempt to defend the new movie. He's done it continuously.
Mod note: Y'all need to stop with these kinds of comments or we'll close this thread too. If you have a problem with a post, do not engage the poster, report it.
Old 06-10-16, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheHive08
Snippet of the new theme from Fall Out Boy...

Fuck this movie.
Old 06-10-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone is curious, here's the unused cue from the expanded score album set to the movie:

Forcing shitty pop music from the official soundtrack album into the movie is nothing new.
Old 06-10-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Please just lock this thread, it's awful.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.